The Amazing Race > The Racers

Third Place: TAR13 ♥ Andrew Lappitt & Dan Honig ♥

<< < (5/7) > >>

puddin:
DAndrew  :hearts: Gee, I wonder which team they did not get along with during the race :snicker:

Coutzy:
Steve and Dave award winners, for sure.

And potential Charla award winners.

jose:
dandrew always kept it kool (most times)  :ascared

puddin:
Congrats Dandrew, third place overall  :partie: :conf: :beer: :hfive: :wtg: :pickle: :gj:

marigold:
An interview with Andrew and Dan:

The Amazing Race's Andrew And Dan Think You Were Rooting for Them

Dan and Andrew seemed to stumble their way into The Amazing Race finale, capitalizing on the epic mistakes of seemingly stronger teams. The fratty duo came in second to last throughout the race. In the finale, they were outraced by a big margin, disappearing for much of the telecast. Their third place finish resulted in one of the funniest finish line moments ever, as they self-deprecatingly acknowledged their numerous fumbles. Dan and Andrew talked with fancast about their underdog experience.

How far behind were you in the final leg?
Dan: Probably about an hour.

At the finish line you alluded to making mistakes in the final leg. What were they?
Dan: We did all our tasks fine. Our major mistake was not getting off the airplane as aggressively as Ken and Tina and Nick and Starr. We got in the first cab instead of scouting them out to see if he knew what he was doing. We just wanted to get out of that airport. We were kind of doomed from there. It was almost like he had no idea where he was going and we were practically driving the car ourselves.

You were the team who made it to the finals without ever winning a leg or even coming in near the lead.
Andrew: We're proud of that.

How do you feel about your underdog status? What was it like when you were watching the episodes?
Andrew: For our friends and family watching, we provided entertainment. They were like, "How the hell did you guys make it this far?" every week. But I don't think we're a bad team or the worst team ever to make it to the final three. We made it there fair and square.
Dan: Yeah. We have this stigma of bumbling and stumbling to the final three. I believe we make our own luck and we did things to put ourselves in that position. Other teams made bigger mistakes. That's the name of the game. To not screw up as much as other racers. And we did that pretty well for most of the race.

It seemed like several times you benefited from the mistakes of other teams. Did you have some sort of mojo?
Andrew: If Dallas hadn't made the mistake with the passport, Ken and Tina would have been eliminated. We beat Ken and Tina.
Dan: In one of the episodes Phil said, "Will Dan and Andrew keep making bad mistakes?" Well, I don't think we did. I think we made great decisions. We didn't go for the fast forward, which two other great teams went for. We didn't lose anything. As much as roadblocks and detours are part of the game, decision making and keeping your stuff is also part of the game. Those are the things that get overlooked by the public.

Dan you had a memorable marching style. Why did you have so much trouble with that task?
Dan: What was going on there was we were there second to Ken and Tina and things were going pretty well and the other teams started showing up and we got to the marching and I knew Andrew would be great at that. But it was a detour. We both had to do it. I overanalyzed what the steps were. I thought it was more complicated than it was. I was stressed out that the other teams were passing us. I looked like a fool. But that's okay. I had a lot of fun with that leg.

What were your best and worst memories of the race overall?
Andrew: The best was going to New Zealand. Just making our way to a country that's so far away from everything. Ir's a place very few people get to go just because of the distance. Not only did we get to go to Auckland but we got to drive three hours through the North Islands down to the coast through green pastures and beach cities. It's hard to believe that a place so incredibly beautiful is on the same planet I live on. Worst experience has got to be in Bolivia. I got altitude sickness before the newspapers were delivered that morning. I thought I might have doomed the team. I couldn't move. I couldn't even stand.Luckily, I got oxygen from the paramedics. It juiced me right up.
Dan: The wrestling to me was so much fun. I was a big fan of wrestling as a kid. Going into that arena and having the crows so excited and doing it really quickly, one of the best on the race. That was my favorite task. In terms of general experience, that second half of the second Russia leg was that sprint to the VDNKh park, the general euphoric feeling if blowing by Ken and Tina on that mat because we never passed a team like that before in that fashion.

Are you back on campus now?
Dan: No. I graduated a year ago.
Andrew: The show wanted us to look like we were in college. Just for kicks.
Dan: When we applied we were both still enrolled. So it wasn't false.
Andrew: We knew that's what the race wanted. So we gave it to them.

What moments do you wish America had seen that ended up on the cutting room floor?
Dan: The final episode, it cut off as I'm on the zip line going down. The next time we were shown we were coming onto the finish line.
Andrew: We did every single task that was given to us. They chose not to show it for some reason, which we are a little disappointed in.
Dan: They edited the whole show where teams who were hours behind looked like they could win. So why couldn't they do that in the final leg? We had this grand strategy. It's in the extra videos. I wish they'd showed it because it was genius. If we got to the recreation center first or second, we were going to wait for the rest of the cabs to get to the area because I knew it was a rural area and there were not a lot of cabs around. While the other teams were busy doing their tasks, I would have paid their cabs to leave. So they would have been stranded and we would have won the race. But we got there last so our grand strategy was irrelevant.
Andrew: I can tell you that most people who were watching last night would have wanted to see a win come from us. We were the one team that did not look promising at all. I think the most exciting thing would have been for us to blow the other racers away. Fifteen minutes in to the episode you already knew we were done. It wasn't very exciting. The underdogs are always loved by the public. Unfortunately since Nick and Tina and Ken and Starr were so close, they decided to focus on that.

Link: http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/12/the_amazing_races_andrew_and_d.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version