Author Topic: ♥TAR13 Anita Jones & Arthur Jones *Married beekeepers*  (Read 18356 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
♥TAR13 Anita Jones & Arthur Jones *Married beekeepers*
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

Names: Anita and Arthur Jones
Ages: 63, 60
Occupations: retired paralegal, playground maintenance
Hometown: Eugene, OR
Relationship: Married beekeepers

Anita and Arthur can’t wait to make the Race their next big adventure. This energetic couple is open hearted and free spirited. They make and sell their own honey and recently purchased an organic blueberry farm. They have known each other for over 26 years and have been married for almost 14 years. Their blended family and children are the most important part of their lives.

However, don’t be fooled by their snowy white hair – they are no strangers to hard work. Living on a farm, they are responsible for maintaining their land, chopping wood and braving the hazardous conditions of beekeeping.

Anita describes herself as optimistic, enthusiastic and compassionate. She is running this Race in hopes of gaining insight to people and places from all corners of the world while traveling side by side with her husband. Her biggest pet peeve about her husband is that he sometimes over-analyzes situations…Anita believes simple can be so much better.

Arthur identifies himself as a problem fixer and hopes to gain a better understanding of himself and his partner. When asked how he and his teammate are most alike—Arthur says that he and his wife share a basic belief in the goodness of people.

This nature-loving couple is still young at heart, and they are ready to experience the world.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:15:24 PM by puddin »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR13 Anita & Arthur
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:14 AM »
hahaha  :funny: :wohoo: :wohoo:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR13 Anita Jones & Arthur Jones
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
wow hair bear bunch

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »
These two will be fun to watch! I can't wait! :funny:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
 :duno:
meh

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR13 Anita Jones & Arthur Jones *Married beekeepers*
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
They look like they will be a fun team  :hearts: ala Rupert  :jumpy:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »
I think they will be delightful.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »

Married Beekeepers has to be the best TAR nickname ever!! :hearts:

EUGENE, Ore. -- From Eugene across 30,000 miles and five continents and back to Eugene. 

In 23 days.

That's the amazing adventure of one local couple who competed on the upcoming season of CBS reality show "The Amazing Race."

Anita and Arthur Jones are backyard beekeepers. 

"That's unopened honey," Arthur says as he cracks open a bee box. 

It's a hobby that's landed them a sweet reward, taking life in Eugene to Hollywood on the 13th season of "The Amazing Race."

So how did these two find fame on a reality show? 

The avid "Amazing Race" fans say it started with a video tape. 

"The production assistant called and said 'We can't get your video off our minds.  We just keep talking about it, but we really don't think you can do it,' " explains Arthur.

So why not? 

"Well, because most folks on the show are like 22 years old, and we're kind of older," laughs Anita. 

So to prove themselves, the active duo made another video tape skiing in a downpour. 
Their lifestyle didn't hurt, either. 

"I don't know if they wanted the hippie thing," Anita says. "I mean this is just our lifestyle.  This is who we are, and they saw our video and they're kind of going OK."

The couple can't say much about the show since it hasn't aired yet.

They did say their experience was truly amazing. 

"It's like you're in a twilight zone," Anita says. "You're just floating through as fast as you can, it's just so amazing."

Plus Arthur says the experience taught them lessons about the world. 

"I think a lesson is that it's not that dangerous out there," he says. "People sort of have this, well, you can't go into these countries. Certainly there are war areas, but by and large people are helpful.  You stop people on the street and ask for directions, people are more than willing to help."

Also, they say it was interesting to mingle with such a diverse group of competitors. 

"You are under so much pressure and adrenaline that sometimes you say stuff you didn't mean," Arthur says, "but it's just because you're focused. Eventually, you have to come out of it with some forgiveness and understanding that we're all human and make mistakes."

So were they changed by their journey? 

"we're still the same beekeepers," Anita says. "We love giving our honey away, sharing and passing stuff on.  We just are who we are; I mean that world is a whole different world."

And they add the biggest lesson learned is just to try. 

"We learned that you should just go for it, whatever it is, just go for it," says Arthur.

If you want to root on the Eugene couple check out "The Amazing Race" on CBS.

The season premiers Sunday, Sept. 28, at 8 p.m.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/27293614.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:12:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
Aww they need some love :<3, I really think they will be fun to watch

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 06:25:46 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: ♥TAR13 Anita Jones & Arthur Jones *Married beekeepers*
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »
Some Anita and Arthur love :<3

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:41:32 AM »
Great Interview from Reality Heaven:

Reality Heaven: Were your decisions to tryout for Amazing Race 13, spur of the moment, or did you mull this idea over for a time, before submitting for the competition?

A: It was pretty much a spur of the moment thing. Anita saw an ad soliciting applicants for TAR and turned to me saying “Let’s do a video.” We are sweeties. Arthur said yes, and we spent 2 hours Sunday afternoon filming at our blueberry farm. Arthur edited it on the computer that evening, and we sent it off Monday morning. It was a lot of fun. (We never dreamed.)

Reality Heaven: What was your main motivation? The prize? The experience? The competition? All of these?

A: We went on the race for the experience of it. The fun factor is just incredible!

Reality Heaven: In your own words, could you tell me how your Amazing Race adventure changed you; if at all? What did this experience give to you, that you were able to take home inside of you?

A: Other than drawing a lot of attention to us, we can’t say that it has changed our lives. We still feel we are the same folks that sent in the video. Arthur has noticed a bit of shameless self-promotion in himself that he hadn’t seen before. We now have a joy and mindfulness of what a wonderful world is out there. We knew it instinctively, but now have it in our hearts. A memory to look back on an smile.

You can read the rest here:
http://realityheaven.com/?p=345
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
They are going to be fun to watch for as long as they're in the race.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Some Anita & Arthur love  :hearts:

------------------------

EUGENE COUPLE ALL ABUZZ ABOUT ‘RACE’ By Mark Baker

The Register-Guard

Published: September 28, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home | : Story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a gander at the thumbnail images on CBS’s Web site for the new season of “The Amazing Race” and try to guess which pair is from Eugene.

Could it be  …  the couple in tie-dye?

Bingo.

Arthur and Anita Jones are not only the oldest contestants on the 13th edition of the hit reality-TV show, they are perhaps the most colorful — figuratively and literally.

“You don’t think you’re going to get on (the show),” Arthur Jones, 61, who works in playground maintenance for the city of Eugene, says of the application process. “It’s like buying a lottery ticket.”

Spend some time with the energetic quintessential Eugene hippies with the infectious zest for life, though, and you quickly realize why they were selected. Who could resist them?

The Joneses applied last November and were selected in February for “The Amazing Race 13” that was filmed on five continents between April 17 and May 15. The season premiere airs at 8 p.m. today on CBS. Whether you’ll see them in the second episode next week, or in subsequent episodes, well, they can’t say. All contestants sign confidentiality contracts punishable by a $10 million penalty, says Arthur Jones, sitting with his wife in the backyard of their Eugene home on the northwest edge of the Whitaker neighborhood. In fact, they are not even allowed to say where in the world the show took them, although its already been reported that the first episode begins in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the first clue whisks the 12 teams off to Brazil. Subsequent episodes were shot in Bolivia, Russia, India and Kazakhstan, the former Soviet state best known now as the fictional home of “Borat,” the absurd character created by comedic actor Sacha Baron Cohen.

Maybe the Joneses won the 30,000-mile, 23-day race and will soon receive their $1 million check? You’ll have to watch to find out.

The couple is the third pair with a Eugene connection to be on “The Amazing Race.” In 2004, twins Kami and Karli French, then living in Eugene, were on the show’s fifth season. They finished fifth out of 11 teams. In 2005, former University of Oregon track and field athlete Uchenna Agu, and his wife, Joyce, of Houston won the whole thing and the $1 million first-place prize in the seventh version of the show.

“We just did it on a whim,” says Anita Jones, 63. “It’s my favorite show.” She began watching when the French twins were on and got hooked.

To apply, potential contestants mail in a video of themselves. The Joneses sent in a humorous three-minute tape shot in their beekeeper outfits, mimicking the show by ripping open an envelope for a clue, tossing some compost into the air and playing up their aging hippie image.

Then they waited. For more than a month.

Sometime after Christmas, someone from the show — which has won six straight “Outstanding Reality-Competition Program” Emmy Awards — called wanting more information. Then they requested a second videotape that would demonstrate why a couple in their 60s could compete in an around-the-world race against 20-somethings. And the tape had to be sent within three days.

The next day, the Joneses drove to Willamette Pass and filmed each other skiing and clowning around on the slopes. Then they shot footage of themselves climbing an old growth fir and splitting wood in their backyard. They sent that tape off, and then they waited once again.

The call to pack their bags and come to Hollywood came in February. Once there, the couple went through more screening and were selected as one of 12 twosomes for the show, along with a cast that includes a former professional football player and his wife, a former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and her actor brother, and pretty best-friend blondes from South Carolina in their matching pink sweat suits.

Whether they’re only in one or all episodes, you’ll always see the grandparents of two in their trademark tie-dye representing the hometown.

But will we see Joneses trying to keep up with everyone else, or will everyone else be trying to keep up with the Joneses? The couple won’t say because they can’t say.

They will only say that it was the experience of a lifetime, and that they prepared by going to Emerald Park and swimming laps and running.

“Anybody who’s even thinking about doing it, should,” says Anita Jones, a retired paralegal who spends her days in the couple’s lush garden, or donning her beekeeper outfit and packaging honey to sell at Saturday Market, or working on the blueberry farm.

The most difficult part of being on the show is trying to keep mum about it all, the couple says. Until Aug. 19, when promotions began for the new season, they couldn’t even reveal what reality show they were on, except to their three grown children, who also had to sign confidentiality contracts.

The Joneses plan to watch at home tonight with their children and grandchildren. Even if they only last one episode, even if they didn’t come in first or make the final three-team episode, the couple says they won just by participating. And they say they would do it all over again given the chance.

“It was the most fun we’ve ever had standing up,” Arthur Jones says.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/news/story.csp?cid=131256&sid=105&fid=35

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:13:03 AM »
Aww they need some love :<3, I really think they will be fun to watch
Yeah that, puddin.  They be good people and loved watching them tonite.  Sorry they couldn't stay longer.  Well, they gots my love! :hearts:
 Bless'em real good!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Buddy TV Exit Interview: Anita and Arthur, from 'The Amazing Race 13'
Monday, September 29, 2008

Anita and Arthur really didn't stand a chance.  It's not their fault.  The older beekeepers from Oregon were at a severe physical disadvantage the second they entered The Amazing Race.  The fact that they were eliminated on the very first leg is not a big surprise, but it doesn't matter.  Anita and Arthur didn't expect to win The Amazing Race.  For them, it was all about the experience.  And they fully enjoyed and embraced their brief time on the race.  The Amazing Race hasn't had a more adorable team in its history than the hippie farmers.  We had the chance to speak with them earlier today about their time on the show.

Below you will find the full written transcript as well as the mp3 audio of the interview.

Hey this is Oscar Dahl from BuddyTV and I'm here with ANita and Arur from THe Amazing Race.  How are you guys doing?

Anita: Oh, we're good.  Hi!

Were you two fans of The Amazing Race before getting cast on the show?

Anita: Yes we were, very much.

Arthur: I'd say Anita was more than I.  She watched it consistently and once in a while she'd say "Arthur, you gotta come look at this," and I'd drop what I was doing go look at it and say "Oh, look, that is so neat," and I'd go back to what I was doing.

How did you two end up getting cast on the show?

Anita:  We saw an ad on the TV that said send in an application for The Amazing Race and so we sent in a video, a three minute video, and we were very surprised when they called us.

How different was actually being on the race compared to what you expected going in?

Arthur:  I don't think we anticipated the amount of adrenaline we felt.

Anita: You can't calm yourself down, you're so excited.

How far behind actually did you finish from the tenth place team, do you know?

Arthur:  We have no idea.

Looking back on your one leg, what do you two think you could have maybe done differently to not have finished last?

Anita: I think we could have moved faster making the decision to go (on the detour).  We did see people on the bottom of the net - I don't know if we were that far behind.  But, we could have talked things over rather than just have gone.

What was your favorite part of being on the race?  Did you enjoy brazil?  Did you get the chance to sit back and enjoy the experience at all?

Anita:  Just being with everyone, being with the whole production was so incredible for us.  Just to watch how everything works and getting to meet all these new people in our life, whether it be the production people or the people on the teams.  It was absolutely amazing.

What was the most difficult part of the race for you two?

Arthur:  I think maybe in 20/20 hindsight, running up the stairs out of the Coliseum.  That climb.  We worked out in our local gym, swam laps, worked in the exercise room and everything, but for such an extended stair climb, there was no way we could have prepped for it.

Were there any of your fellow teams that you particularly hit it off with, anyone you still keep in contact with?

Anita: Actually, we pretty much keep in contact with everybody.

Arthur: Sarah and Terence more than others.  We've been in contact with them.  At the same time, it's been more emailing everybody.

Do you two have any big plans for the future?  Back to work there in Oregon?

Anita: We'd do the race again in a second.

Maybe another all-stars?

Anita: Yeah.  And we are back to blueberries and honey in Oregon. 

Arthur: We have a zip line coming up that we're going to do. 

Anita:  Yeah, a quarter mile zip line.  We're pretty excited about that.

Anita, Arthur, we appreciate you taking the time and wish you luck in the future.

Anita:  Thank you very much. 

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-amazing-race/exclusive-interview-anita-and-23194.aspx
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
I am sad Anita and Arthur were eliminated :'(. I'm going to have a hard time seeing any of the teams eliminated this season, I feel like we are all bonded in a way.

Love ya Anita & Arthur, you can hold your heads up, you tried your best  :hearts: ..rock on!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
Reality TV World exit interview:

Anita and Arthur Jones talk about their 'The Amazing Race' ouster

By John Bracchitta, 09/30/2008

Anita and Arthur Jones "white knuckle" trek in The Amazing Race was all too brief.

"The Beekeepers," aged 63 and 61-years-old respectively, from Eugene, OR became the first team eliminated from The Amazing Race's thirteenth season during Sunday night's broadcast of the CBS reality show's premiere.

On Monday Anita and Arthur talked to Reality TV World about how they prepared for the show, why they got off to a slow start in Los Angeles, how they managed to briefly recover in Brazil, why they picked the cargo net Detour option, and what contributed to their last-place finish in the Race's first leg.

Reality TV World: How were you cast for the show?

Anita: Um, we saw the [advertisement] on television that said "Do you want to apply for The Amazing Race?" and we thought it would be fun to send in a video so we did. A little later down the road we got a call to come down and [they put us on the show.]

Reality TV World: Was that your first time applying or had you applied before?

Anita: No, that was the first time...

Arthur: ...Our first time. We had a whole lot of fun making the video and sent it in. I sort of described it like buying a lottery ticket. You do something and you dream for fifteen minutes. [We had] no thought at all that we would ever make it and we ended up going to Hollywood!

Reality TV World: Were you regular viewers of the show?

Anita: Yes it was my favorite show. It's still amazing to me (laughs).

Reality TV World: So you had seen most of the seasons?

Anita: Um... I would say the last five seasons or so. [The show] is just a wonderful way for people to see different parts of the world when they maybe can't go do it. That's what I was doing when I was watching!

Reality TV World: You had mentioned during the clip [shown in the premiere] that working on the farm kept you guys pretty fit. Was that the extent of your preparation? Or did you guys do some additional...

Anita: Working out? Yeah.

Arthur: Yeah, we went down to our local community center [where] they have a pool and we did lap swims. They had a fitness room and we talked to the trainer. [Eugene, Oregon] is also very bike friendly -- we live right off of a bike path -- so we bicycled everywhere.

Reality TV World: What about travel issues? Did you do any research and familiarize yourself with travel issues or [read up on some foreign countries or cultures]?

Anita: Not too much. Arthur speaks some Spanish. We just figured that we would have to go on our charm. (laughs)

Arthur: And we made up a list of phrases that we would need to know and would find them out as we went along.

Reality TV World: Had you guys done a lot of international traveling before?

Arthur: In 2004 we took our whole family -- there are 11 of us -- to Italy for a couple of weeks. As far as Arthur and I are concerned that's the extend of traveling that we've done together. I did quite a bit in the 1970's on my own. I spent about nine months traveling through Europe and North Africa basically hitchhiking.

Reality TV World: What were your first impressions of some of the other teams there?

Anita: That there was going to be an exciting adventure to go along with all of them (laughs).

Reality TV World: But nobody stuck out more than the others?

Anita: Well it was sort of... Our meetings with [other teams] were so fast that we really didn't get to... They just seemed so young to us!

Reality TV World: Last night we actually saw Nick and Starr [Spangler] form an alliance with Ken and Tina [Greene] right at the Los Angeles airport. Did you guys try and have any of those types of discussions or were you just holding on for the ride and trying to get through the first leg first?

Anita: We had a lot of fun with the people that we were with when we ended up in Chicago.

Arthur: Yeah, like Brooke [Jackson] and Marisa [Axelrod], Toni and Dallas [Imbimbo]. We were all doing the hokie-pokie in the airport...

Reality TV World: You ended up in Chicago?

Anita: Uh huh.

Arthur: Yes. The second plane out went to Chicago.

Reality TV World: Wow, it went from Los Angeles to Chicago and then on to Brazil?

Anita and Arthur: Yes.

Reality TV World: Well no wonder [the flight] was three hours later [than the earlier one]! (laughs) So you had some layover time with those teams in Chicago?

Anita and Arthur: Yes.

Reality TV World: You were one of the last teams to get into LAX. Did you get lost on the way? Or did you just get off to a slow start at the [Los Angeles Coliseum]?

Anita: Well... (laughs) [The Amazing Race Host Phil Keoghan] said that we couldn't go until he had dropped his hand and so we were just intent on making sure we didn't do anything wrong! (laughs)

Then we looked up and we were watching him and all at once we saw that everybody else had taken off. It was very funny actually, we were laughing about it quite a bit because there you see us coming along and [just] puttering along.

Arthur: And, you know, we made a couple of wrong turns on the way to the airport. I don't think we were last out of the Coliseum, but we were the last team to the airport. But we were first on our flight...

Reality TV World: Yeah... you were on the later [United Airlines] flight but you were actually the second United team to make it to the military base. Why do you think you two managed to do so well on that part of the leg?

Anita: See, I truly believe we could have kept on -- if we were on the show longer -- and we could have done all of the tasks. We really weren't worried about that at all.

Arthur: We had an incredible taxi ride from after the coffee cart to the military base that... it was truly "white-knuckle." We couldn't commend [the driver] enough for his skills and everything. I think that might have had something to do with it. But you don't know because we didn't have any idea where anyone else was.

Reality TV World: So coming out of the airport, you actually didn't believe you were the second [team]?  You'd believed you made up that time somewhere else along the way?

Anita: Well, we didn't know where we were once we got to the cart.

Arthur: And that's the difficulty because everyone's just out there doing it as fast as they can because it's not like there's somebody -- like in a footrace -- right next to you so you can see where they are.

Reality TV World: When you guys were at the military base overnight there was a situation where Terrence [Gerchberg] got upset that Sarah [Leshner] was spending time talking to you and the other teams. Where you aware of that issue while you were out there or was that news to you last night?

Anita: That was sort of news to us because we had a wonderful time talking with everybody and trying to say "hello" for the first time. They were very sweet.

Arthur: Terrence and Sarah were one of the couples that we sort of connected with in the jungle so that was news to us.

Reality TV World: What happened when you left the base? You seemed to fall into last place right when you left the base and really never got out of it at that point. Did you have taxi problems?

Arthur: The taxi coming to the church... we sorta got slowed in traffic. We had a little more trouble than the other teams catching a taxi. Going into the race I don't think we realized how important transportation is.

Reality TV World: Yeah, everyone [we talk to] says that (laughs)

Arthur: And that's it. Anybody can win and anybody can lose based on that. You get a taxi that makes a wrong turn or doesn't know... I mean... I asked the driver "do you know where this plaza is?" and he said "yes." But yet he still stopped and asked for directions.

Reality TV World: Yeah, based on the show, it really looked like that was your downfall.  For whatever reason, you were the last one to get to the Detour option [and] it really seemed like you were sunk at that point, would you say that was accurate?

Anita: Um...

Reality TV World:  You were the last ones [to reach] the Detour, correct?

Anita: Yeah.

Reality TV World:  Why did you guys choose to do the cargo net [Detour option] instead of the staircase?

Arthur: When I was in high school I spent a summer in Mexico City with my uncle and I was exposed to the cultural custom where people crawled on their hands and knees to cross the plaza in front of a church and up to the alter and everything.

I had thought about that for 45 years and I saw that and immediately I saw this trail of blood everything and I just... it freaked me. Right there with all of the adrenaline and everything... you know that's their cultural tradition but I can't do that.

Reality TV World: I thought it was a wise decision, I was just wondering what your thought process behind it was. Obviously all of the other teams except for one came to the same conclusion.

Arthur: Yeah. And I may have had a little more force behind it because of this memory that came up from out of nowhere that just said "No, you don't want to do that." But at the same time we went into the race knowing that we would never be asked to do anything that is too dangerous.

Reality TV World: When you got to the cargo net... I know there was a limit of three [teams] on the net at a time. Based on the show, it looked like you actually had to wait for some of the other teams to finish, [is that what happened]?

Arthur: No, I think that Dallas and Toni were off the net....

Reality TV World: Oh so you didn't have to wait on the net and got to go down immediately?

Anita: We just went down as fast as we could.

Reality TV World: No, I understand that. But you didn't have to wait at the top for another team to clear the net?

Arthur: No we did not have to wait for another team to clear.

Reality TV World: How close behind Marisa and Brooke where you when you reached the Pit Stop?

Anita: We don't know because when we got there and we were going up the ramp we didn't see them.

Reality TV World: So you really have no idea whether it was two minutes or half an hour?

Anita and Arthur: Yeah.

Reality TV World: I'm guessing you two were surprised to be the first team eliminated?

Anita: (Laughs) Yeah. It was like we were in a dream. We were in a fog. We couldn't believe it really was... to see Phil there, we just wanted to say " you're not really here."   So it was very strange to have that whole thing happen there.

Reality TV World: What are you doing now? Are you back to the farm and the honey-making?

Arthur: Uh-huh. We've got some fall things to do with the bees and need to put the blueberries to bed for the winter.

Anita: We're making lots of jam!

Reality TV World: [The Amazing Race producer Bertram van Munster] mentioned that he got lots of jars of honey when we spoke to him a couple weeks ago.

(Anita and Arthur both laugh)

Anita: Everybody [on the show] was wonderful. We can't stress that enough.

Arthur: Everyone we've been involved with in The Amazing Race has just been extraordinary. These are the best professionals out there and we can't talk enough about the camera man and the sound guy.

It's what you like to say is the "Ginger Rogers syndrome." They did everything that we did but they did it [while walking and running] backwards and also carrying a 40 lb. camera and all of their backpacks and everything.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/anita-and-arthur-jones-talk-about-their-the-amazing-race-ouster-7800.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »
An interesting article:

The Amazing Race Anita and Arthur eliminated

The Amazing Race
Anita and Arthur
Eliminated September 28

Did you think you might be at a disadvantage physically after being the last team to make it up the stairs at The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum?
Anita: No, not really. Phil said we had to wait until he put his hand down to start, and so Arthur and I were watching his hands and everybody took off.
Arthur: Yeah. We looked up and everybody was already running!
Anita: That was a surprise.

What was your first impression of Salvador, Brazil?
Anita: It was just incredible. We were surprised at the heat. Up in Oregon at that time it was around 55 degrees, so it was a real temperature difference for us to adapt to. But, Salvador was so colorful. We loved it. One of the memories I'll always cherish is seeing the Amazon from the airplane. I've never seen anything like that.

Where do you think you went wrong?
Arthur: I don't think you can say we went wrong. As Anita eluded to, we trained in 55-degree weather, which was no match for 95-degree weather. Anita: With 100 percent humidity!
Arthur: It was so hot down there. And the other thing is taxis. You don't realize watching the show how important transportation is. We had one wonderful taxi ride, and then the ride out of the jungle got stuck in traffic. That helped put us behind.

When I met you in LA. You compared this race to a roller coaster. How does climbing down a cargo net more than 240 feet in the air compare to a coaster?
Anita: It was really cool. We were way up there! But, my shoes had slits in them and they kept getting caught in the net. I had trouble getting my foot out of the ropes. But coming down that net was incredible.

Was the race at all what you expected it to be like?
Anita: We didn't really expect the adrenaline rush. It's so amazing. Anita and I kept turning to each other and saying that we felt like we were floating through a dream. We were just going and going and going, and we didn't expect that at all.

Any regrets?
Anita: Just that we didn't go on to the next leg. [laughs] But, no, we have no regrets.
Arthur: We'd do it again at the drop of a hat.

Your family must be pretty proud.
Arthur: Oh, they loved it. Coming off the mat, we may have felt like we let some folks down, but that's not true at all. We knew that we were being supported and had an incredibly loving family.
Anita: We just wish that all of them could have been there with us!

What's next for you? Are you going back to the beekeeping?
Anita: Oh yes - back to the bees and blueberries.

Link: http://www.intouchweekly.com/2008/09/the_amazing_raceanita_and_arth.php