Author Topic: ♥TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler *friends*  (Read 64061 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
♥TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler *friends*
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:07 AM »

Names: Mark Yturralde and Bill Kahler
Ages: 41, 42
Occupations: Comic-Con CFO, college aid administrator
Hometown: San Diego
Relationship: Friends

These comic book aficionados are determined to be the most strategic team ever to compete in the Race. Mark and Bill, friends for over 23 years, first met at a science fiction club and have been bonding over their love for comics and games ever since. Mark says that he “wears geek like a badge of honor.”

Mark describes himself as outgoing, funny and smart. He is willing to go anywhere and isn’t afraid of adventure. His last vacation was to Vanuatu in the South Pacific where he climbed a volcano.

Bill is the opposite of Mark -- he describes himself as cautious, easygoing, goofy, yet competitive. When asked how the Race could change their friendship, Bill says that the Race might present them with some bad situations, but in the end, they’ll finish with a deeper respect for one another.

These masterminds are ready to see what they are made of and are convinced that they can be one step ahead of the competition if they play their cards right.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:15:52 PM by puddin »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR13 Mark & Bill
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
Love them
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:29:20 AM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline tcost

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »
Hello, everyone.  I've known both Bill and Mark for over 20 years, since they were teenagers.  They are both fantastic people -- Mark is just a force of nature, and Bill is the closest thing I have ever met to a paragon of what a human being should be -- I know that this must seem like amazing praise, but wait until you see them -- and to the extent that I can, I'll be willing to answer questions about them.

It's the least I can do.  I found this place when I'd begun to suspect that they might have been on TAR, the day after they left.  This was far and away the best resource I had, and I combed it daily for a long time.  Despite that, and despite the fact that I was almost certain that they were on TAR, I could never find clear proof of that until CBS released the cast info.  They seem to have been the most mysterious of the eleven teams this season.

One thing that the CBS promo material doesn't mention is that both of these guys can be very funny people.  Mark can make some of the most outlandish faces I have ever seen, and Bill will sneak up on you.  Mark has run with the bulls in Pamplona -- very fitting since his heritage is Basque -- and Bill is a narrator for the KPBS radio reading service;  he could be an announcer.  Both of them are also very bright.

Both of them are very, very careful about not revealling any information, so I'm sure that neither of them will give me any spoilers.  As their friend, it's probably just natural that I think that the rest of you will find them fascinating;  we'll see to what extent this is borne out by the show. 

tcost

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
welcome to the forum tcost :hithere:, very cool!

the remind me of Ryan and Chuck  :tup:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race7/teams/ryan/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:46:30 AM »
Hi tcost! and :welcome: to RFF!

We don't have a lot of info on them either...but I think there may be a spoiler with their name on it? ;)

We'll love to hear anything you can share--what fun to know someone!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline tcost

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:05 AM »
Thanks kindly for the warm welcome.  Even though I've seen the same courtesy extended to others, it's nice to be on the receiving end myself.

With respect to Ryan and Chuck, I must, to borrow a phrase, concur;  both these sets of guys are clever and likeable.  But Mark and Bill are extremely urbane guys.  They can both be charming, but there's nothing rustic in that charm.  Mark is in computers, and Bill works at a law school.

And Georgia Peach, if you can point me toward that spoiler, I'd be, well, mighty obliged.  I've read and reread many of them, but I might well have missed something.  In fact, I guess that I must have missed something.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:20 AM »
This is a spoiler free zone but hang on, I'll go dig it up and PM you...  :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:46 AM »
I'm so sorry--I was just reminded that you can't receive PM's until you have a few more posts.

But  you are welcome to email me at the address in my profile if you would like? I just sent you a note you didn't get I guess...

But I just reread the spoiler I thought might refer to your friends and it does not   :'(   ...so I really don't have any new info for you I am afraid. They hid from us very well!

But I like them on first sight--I'm getting more of a Steve and Dave vibe and I adore those guys. Give them our very best wishes please!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:35 AM »
Oh lookee!

Another team competing is geeky best friends Mark Yturralde, 41, and Bill Hahler, 42. The Comic-Con treasurer and student aid administrator from San Diego have been pals for over 20 years and have auditioned for "The Amazing Race" since the long-running reality series' third season. The superhero and gaming aficionados said they left their toys at home during the race.

"We've got really teeny backpacks," said Hahler. "They are small. We wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything to prevent us from putting that pack underneath the seat in front of us when we got on a plane. We didn't want something to happen where we got delayed because of our luggage. We thought that would help us go faster."

"We did extensive research on what to wear - what was lightweight and would help us move the fastest," added Yturralde. "I think it was the longest I ever went without wearing a logo on my T-shirt. If you see me on the street, I'm usually wearing a Superman, Bizarro or Batman T-shirt on a constant basis, but we had to utilize more multi-use clothing for 'The Amazing Race.'"

http://www.wral.com/entertainment/story/3398259/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tcost

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:35 AM »
Aww, I was hoping for that spoiler info.  But it doesn't exist!  At least I don't feel now as if I had missed something on them.

One correction I can issue now is that Bill's last name is Kahler, not Hahler.  Pronounced Kay-ler.  And Yturralde is pronounced It-er-all-dee, with the emphasis on the first syllable.  And yes, Mark is the Treasurer of that Comic-Con, Comic Con International, formerly the San Diego Comic Con, 125,000 strong. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 04:11:47 AM »
They tried out TEN times? Wow! Thanks for letting us know about them--they sound like fun!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »
Interesting, as the CBS site suggests you try out with a new team mate if they do not accept you the first time.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
I don't like them for some reason lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »

must be the lack of pink spandex! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

must be the lack of pink spandex! :lol3:

that might be it, missy   :angel: :neener:

(ps, when you text me on my iPhone your avatar from RFF shows up hehe)

Offline MarkYturralde

• "Amazing Racer"
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

I could wear some Pink Spandex but I doubt you'd like it. ;) Probably a crime against humanity.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »

I could wear some Pink Spandex but I doubt you'd like it. ;) Probably a crime against humanity.
Can I have pictures? pretty please?  :bounce
:hithere:  MarkYturralde  :hearts:, welcome to the forum  :bigwelcome

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler *friends*
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »

:welcome3: to RFF!

I just knew we were going to love y'all!!  :funny: :funny: :funny:

Thanks so much for coming to join in the fun!! Can you tell we are just a little excited around here to finally get to meet you all?  :jumpy: :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:01 AM »
whooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! hi Mark
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline MarkYturralde

• "Amazing Racer"
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
Thanks! You guys are awesome. Hope you enjoy watching as much as we enjoyed doing!

Offline MarkYturralde

• "Amazing Racer"
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
Btw, stop by facebook or twitter anytime. ;)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
Btw, stop by facebook or twitter anytime. ;)
:waves: add me please 

Offline tcost

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 12:30:58 AM »
Hello, there, Mark.  If you're here, I'm much less necessary! 

Scott Norton

Offline E. Q. Taft

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »
Just sticking my nose in here.  I'm another friend of Mark & Bill.  I've actually known they were in season 13 since early this year, because I was one of Bill's housemates at the time, but I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so I couldn't talk about it.  Of course, I still don't know how they did, and what guesses I have come largely from what I've seen on the spoiler forums here, so I can't really add much.

I do think the LA Times guy got things about right regarding them, however.  They're smart guys, and I think will not be prone to make elementary mistakes (like not reading the whole clue, something we've seen teams to).  Bill is particularly strong on game theory.  Mark is very well traveled, having spent time in Asia, Europe, and the Pacific; Bill a bit less so, though he's been to Europe a few times, and studied a little Russian in college, so he can at least read the Cyrillic alphabet with no problems.   They're both very outgoing and personable, and will I think be very good at interacting with locals and getting favors from them.  They also are both pretty easy-going guys who don't get seriously angry very easily -- I've known Bill pretty well for about 25 years, and I think I've only seen him get really angry about twice -- and I doubt they will waste much energy on serious bickering (non-serious bickering, OTOH, will be one of their major forms of recreation).   Mark has done all manner of adventurous things, such as skydiving, scuba diving, volcano climbing, flying in a zero-g airplane and, as tcost pointed out, running with the bulls in Spain; Bill hasn't done so many, but there isn't too much he's seriously afraid of, and I doubt either of them will wind up paralyzed by fear.  I think they can handle any food challenges better than most people, too.

Downsides?  Well, as the LA Times piece said, there's the sheer physical side: both of them in their early 40's and neither is much of an athlete; though they did some training to get in a bit better shape for the race, they will probably have some trouble keeping up with the younger and more athletic teams.  (Mark also has a terrible sense of direction, but he knows this, and I think part of their strategy is that he will always defer to Bill when there's any question in that area.)

I'm glad to see that they seem to be getting some popularity/  They're both great guys, though not quite the demi-gods that tcost makes them out to be -- but as I'm sure tcost will be the first to confirm, you can't really trust anything he says. :)  Oh, and while I have never seen Mark in pink spandex, I have seen him in a tiara....

Go guys!  :jam:

Abstinence is a good thing, if practiced in moderation.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
Well, if you are judged by the company you keep, then we can tell we are for sure in for some fun times! :hearts:

:welcome2: to RFF E.Q>--thanks for filling us in!

Now....about that tiara....you just know we are going to want to see the picture, right?? :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule: