Author Topic: ♥TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler *friends*  (Read 64065 times)

Offline Adora

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Mark and Bill's #1 fan
    • Adorkable Geeks
Re: ♥TAR13 Mark Yturralde & Bill Kahler *friends*
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »

So are you going to start kidding him about Cholitas?

Cho-wha?  *googling, googling*  Ack , spoiler!!   :groan: ;)  I've been trying really hard not to look ahead more than one episode, but the deeper I get into the realm of TAR fandom the more I realize that knowing the future is where the real fun is!

Maybe I can make him a little Cholita doll to sleep with at night...

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »

Does anyone has bigger versions of these two photos?
Those are 4x6. I need 8x10. You know, for autographs.  :ascared  :yess: :tup: :waves: :wohoo:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
Could you two be anymore awesome?  :jumpy:

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2008, 06:36:17 AM »
Wow! Not only did you help Tina with the roadblock, then you were so generous to congratulate the win at the mat with a nice comment about how if it helps their relationship, you were happy for them! Great guys! (Maybe try a new strategy next week of not helping other teams, however, as you almost won Leg 2 - maybe would have those off road vehicles if you were not so nice!)

Offline BantyMom

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2008, 03:41:49 AM »
Hello,

I don't think this is a spoiler as it has been on some of the official sites, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post the question or if anyone is even allowed to ask it, but I'm new so here goes:

I read somewhere (and I can't possibly remember exactly where now) that Mark and Bill were "late entries" in this season's dozen-minus-one. Any info on that? These two are my favorite team and late or not, I'm very glad they made it in.

BantyMom
"If the world were logical, men would ride side-saddle" ---Rita Mae Brown

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2008, 06:05:32 AM »
:welcome2: to RFF BantyMom!

Late entries as in possibly alternates? I hadn't heard that, just that they had applied multiple times before and went to a casting call this time as well.

But CBS finally got it right, didn't they?  We love these guys!  :hearts:

Anyone else know anything about this? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Adora

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Mark and Bill's #1 fan
    • Adorkable Geeks
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »

I read somewhere (and I can't possibly remember exactly where now) that Mark and Bill were "late entries" in this season's dozen-minus-one. Any info on that?

Mark commented on this after episode 2, and as far as they know there was nothing atypical about their acceptance.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »
Brute force.  :yess: They're hackers too.  :lol:

Nuala

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »

EDIT:  Nuala, I'm also friends with Declan.  He's good people.  =]

You know my brother?  He's awesome.  When you see him can you please give him a hug for me?  Please.  I miss him so much.  He's a geek too LOL.

Nuala

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2008, 07:59:33 AM »
wow these two are amazing!!!!  Sincerely!!!!  If only more friends were like them then this world would be a better place.  They are so honest and helpful in the race to others, but still push themselves to the edge.  I knew they would pick the dock it detour....LOL.  What geeks? LOL. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »
Mark & Bill will always be my heroes! Rock on Skull Man and Yoda! I don't think you both can even begin to realize what a fan base you all both have  :jam:. Thank you for the weeks of entertainment  :bow: :hrt: :wine: :thankyou: :<3

"Do or do not... there is no try.” :vader:

Nuala

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2008, 04:52:44 AM »
You 2 will always be my favorite TAR racers.  You're the reason I would tune in to watch.  You're amazing!!!!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »
An interesting article an interview with Mark and Bill:

Exclusive Interview: Mark and Bill, from 'The Amazing Race 13'

Mark and Bill were billed as nerds coming into The Amazing Race 13.  While they may have some geeky qualities, and tend to enjoy the things that nerds tend to enjoy, Mark and Bill were nowhere near the socially inept nerd archetypes that some viewers may have been expecting.  The long-time friends were two of the most approachable and socially able contestants on The Amazing Race, and enjoyed a ton of fan support as a result.  We got the chance to speak with Mark and Bill this morning about their time on the race.

Hey, this is Oscar Dahl from BuddyTV and I'm here with Mark and Bill from The Amazing Race.  Mark, Bill - how are you guys doing?

Mark:  Pretty great, Oscar.

Were both of you guys fans of The Amazing Race before you got on?  How did you end up getting cast on the show?

Mark: Yeah, we've been huge fans of the show since season one and we've been pretty much applying non-stop since season two.

Had you had any close calls before this last season? 

Mark: No, uh-uh.  This is the season where it where it all really kind of fell together.  It's kind of funny that this is also the first time where we did our video that we didn't try to do some cute skit or do something clever.  This is the video where we were just, "Oh, we did it in twenty minutes, just being ourselves and smacking each other in the head and goofing off” and that's the one they loved.

So, persistence pays off, then?

Mark: And being yourself pays off.

Was the race what you guys expected it to be?  What was the most different from what you expected going in?

Bill: It was everything we expected and the fact that we got to do these incredible things, go to these places we never expected to go.  I think that one of the things that it's hard to anticipate is just how much lying there is.  And how much you get your sleep schedule thrown off because you're checking in and then twelve hours later your checking out.  It does really crazy things to you.  The way you feel at the end of the day.

Mark:  It surpassed everything I hoped it to be.  We're standing on the field getting ready to go and Phil says “All right, get ready – go,” and my heart is racing, I've got the butterflies in my stomach and that's when it really dawns on you.  You've been applying for ten years and all of a sudden you're like "Holy crap, we're about to go on The Amazing Race."  We're going to run up those steps, get in a car and go to the airport.  Oookay.  There's going to be an exciting soundtrack when it goes on TV.  I was disappointed that the soundtrack wasn't always on.  It never followed me around, cause I was really counting on it to help me through the race.

With the taxi on that last leg, going to the detour, was the taxi a big time-saver?  Do you think if you guys had walked you would have beaten Kelly and Christy to the finish line? 

Bill: I think that it was pretty much a wash as far as how much actual time it took. I think that being able to just have a guy in the cab with us take us straight to where we needed to go and not have to run up the hill really got us a big lead at that point in time.  However, a lot of the dropping back that we did was just due to the route that our taxi driver chose up the mountain to the wrestling event.  I think that's what finally put the nail in the coffin for us.  I don't think it would have been quite half an hour, but it wouldn't have been much less.

They alluded to it a little bit last night, but dealing with that altitude in La Paz must have been absolutely brutal.

Bill:  It really was.  I've visited some places that were around 10,0000 feet in Utah, but when you're a person from sea level and we had just been at sea level, going to the 12,000 feet of La Paz is really very brutal.

Mark:  Ill tell you that I never in my life appreciated oxygen until La Paz, Bolivia. 

Bill:  I'm in my house now in San Diego, breathing wonderful sea-level oxygen thinking to myself "Ahh, yes."  It may not be apparent to people watching the show is the way La Paz is laid out.  That part that we were sleeping in in the middle of the street there, that's the lowest point in La Paz, the bottom of the valley there, that's where all the rich people live.  The Titanes ring is up on the plateau where all the poor people live and it's about another 1500 feet, 2,000, 3,000 feet up.

Mark: I remember thinking to myself on our way to the Titanes ring and we're going up and up and up. I'm looking up this hill saying to myself "You people are sick!"

Out of all the places you got to visit, what was your favorite?

Bill: I actually really did enjoy Bolivia. It was so different than anywhere that I've ever been to before.  I mean, I never really imagined that I would go to La Paz and so I was really glad that I got the chance because it was different, the way everything was laid out.  It was almost like this different planet, really.  The people that live in La Paz that are living in such vastly different conditions, both economic conditions and physical conditions. 

Was there anything edited out of the first three episodes that you wish viewers had seen?

Bill: I really wish people could have gotten to see more of Mark in action as the awesome social machine that he is.  Mark can get people to help him out and want to be his friend and do things for him.  There were several occasions where Mark was able to persuade people to do some things for us... they weren't giant things that were the difference between coming in first or coming in second but they were really helpful to us overall and I wish people could have seen that.

Mark: I would have liked to have seen Bill teach himself Portuguese on the plane ride to Brazil.  We're on a plane to Brazil, we sit next to this dude, we say “Hi,” he says “Hi,” we started to talk and he doesn't speak any English, we don't speak any Portuguese. He's like "You're going to Brazil?" and we're like "Yes."  He says “OK,” and he reaches and grabs this Portuguese to English phrase book and he hands it to Bill?  "Can we keep this?" and he's like "Yeah."  Bill proceeds to spend the next six hours literally nose buried in the book and I'll tell you this - I know a lot of smart people and Bill's probably the smartest guy I know, but I'm thinking "Maybe he'll memorize 'Where's the bathroom ?' and 'Where can I get a drink of water?"  We land and get in a taxi and he's like "We're in a race, we need to go here, please help us move faster,” and I'm like "Damn."

What do you guys have planned for the future?  Anything big?

Bill:  Mark has been just doing some really awesome stuff.  Mark?

Mark: When we got eliminated from the race I said, "You know, I'm tired of being the fat guy, I'm tired of being the guy who's always out of shape, I'm tired of the guy who's always wheezing after a brief run and that changes today."  At that exact second I made a major shift in how I work out and how I eat to the point where I've lost forty pounds from where I started the race.  I did my first 10k and I've gotten into competitive biking and I did my first century two weeks ago.  And, I'm currently training to do the Roadmaster K2 in New Zealand next year, widely considered to be one of the most difficult races in the world. 

Congratulations, man.  I appreciate you two taking the time and we wish you luck in the future.

Link: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-amazing-race/exclusive-interview-mark-and-b-23552.aspx

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
 :jam:
great interview...they rock.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »
Another interview:

Mark Yturralde and Bill Hahler eliminated from 'The Amazing Race'

"Best Friends" Mark Yturralde and Bill Hahler began The Amazing Race 13 believing they had a mental edge in the competition, however following a mental lapse, the pair became the third team to be eliminated from the competition during last night's broadcast of the CBS reality series.

"We came into this thing thinking 'we can't compete physically.' We know that," Mark said after the pair were eliminated after receiving a 30-minute Pit Stop penalty for taking a taxi to a location they'd been instructed to walk to. "But we can compete mentally, and you'd think that we would read the clue and read it better."

"The Amazing Race is by far the hardest game I've ever played and running The Amazing Race with Mark has been just a wonderful experience," added Bill.

The Amazing Race 13's third episode began with the nine remaining teams leaving the Cidade da Crianca, a park in Fortaleza, Brazil that served as the location of The Amazing Race 13's Pit Stop for the previous leg of the race.

While resting at the park before departing on the Race's next leg, the "Divorcees" team of Kelly Crabb and Christy Cook clashed with the "Brother and Sister" team of Nick and Starr Spangler after they accused Starr of pushing some of their drying laundry off of a ledge. Although Starr denied their accusations, neither Kelly nor Christy believed her denial.

Following the mandatory rest period, the "Separated Couple" team of Ken and Tina Greene -- the first team to reach the previous leg's Pit Stop -- were the first to depart at 12:51AM.

After opening their first clue, Ken and Tina were instructed to take a taxi to the local airport and board one of two flights departing at the same time that would take them 1,200 miles to La Paz, Bolivia. Once there, they had to travel to a statue of Simon Bolivar and wait for the delivery of a newspaper which would contain an advertisement that would be their next clue.

Following Ken and Tina were Mark and Bill, who left at 12:52AM,  "Newly Dating Couple" Terence Gerchberg and Sarah Leshner  at 1:13AM, "Long Distance Dating Couple" Aja Benton and Ty White at 1:14AM,  "Mother and Son" Toni and Dallas Imbimbo  at 1:15AM, Nick and Starr at 1:17AM, Kelly and Christy at 1:18AM,  "Fraternity Brothers" Andrew Lappitt and Dan Honig at 1:22AM, and "Friends" Marisa Axelrod and Brooke Jackson, who also departed at 1:22AM.

While Ken and Tina were the first team to arrive at the airport, all the teams team arrived in time to catch one of the flights that arrived in Bolivia at the same time.

Upon arriving in Bolivia, the teams immediately had difficulty catching their breathe because of the high elevation of La Paz, which is nearly 13,000 feet above sea level.

Nick and Starr where the first team to catch a cab, with Mark and Bill right on their heels, however all of the teams ended up bunching back together at the Simon Bolivar statue, where they discovered their newspaper wouldn't be delivered until the next morning.

As the teams spent the night in front of the statue, Nick attempted to make amends with Kelly and Christy by saying that he did not think that Starr would have touched their clothing. However his attempt didn't seem to get anywhere as Kelly and Christy maintained their belief that Starr had done it.

After waiting out the night, the teams huddled around the newspaper stacks after their delivery the next morning and began looking for their next clue.

While all of the teams seemed to initially struggle, Andrew and Dan were the first to find the clue --which instructed them to travel to Narvaez' Hat and Shoe Store at the Plaza Murillo and buy a traditional cholita hat, after which the cashier would give them their next clue.

After Andrew and Dan snuck away from the teams to a cab without revealing their destination, Nick and Starr found the clue soon after and were then followed by Toni and Dallas.

Terrence and Sarah found the clue next, but enlisted the help of a local woman who guided them on foot instead of hailing a taxi. Mark and Bill found the clue next and decided to walk as well, but struggled with the high altitude and thin air.

Kelly and Christy found the clue next and were followed by Aja and Ty, who both hailed cabs and left Marisa and Brooke behind as the last team.

Andrew and Dan were the first team to arrive at the hat shop -- just slightly ahead of Terrence and Sarah -- and received a clue informing them it was time for the leg's two Detour options: "Musical March" or "Bumpy Ride."

"Musical March" required the teams to walk to two different plazas and gather members of a band.  Once they'd collected both parts of the band, they had to march them to a band leader who was waiting at a third plaza with their next clue.

"Bumpy Ride" required the teams to walk to another location.  Once there, they would have to board some local handmade wooden bicycles and ride down the city's cobblestone streets to a plaza where they would receive the next clue.

After completing the Detour, each team would also have to decide whether to use a U-Turn opportunity to force one of the teams still behind them to backtrack and do the Detour's other challenge before moving on.

Andrew and Dan were the first time to reach the hat shop and decided to do "Musical March" but became frustrated by how slow their band members were moving.

Terrence and Sarah were next and decided to "Bumpy Ride," as did Mark and Bill, who arrived third.

However Mark and Bill committed what bacame a fatal error when they took a taxi to the bicycles instead of traveling on foot as the directions specifically stated.  Terrence and Sarah also made the same initial mistake and hopped in a taxi, however Sarah noticed their mistake and they returned back to the clue location and walked to the bicycles.

Marisa and Brooke were next to arrive at the hat shop and decided to do "Musical March." Using their pep, they were able to get their band to march quicker and passed Andrew and Dan.

Ken and Tina arrived at the hat shop next and decided to do "Bumpy Ride" -- as did Kelly and Christy, Nick and Starr, Aja and Ty, and Toni and Dallas, the last team to arrive at the shop.

Mark and Bill were the first team to finish the Detour.  After not deciding not to use the U-Turn, they received a clue instructing them to take a taxi to Los Titanes Del Ring.

Terrence and Sarah were barely able to hold off Ken and Tina, while Aja and Ty were able to surpass Kelly and Christy on the bikes as well. However none of the teams could beat Marina and Brooke, who finished their "Musical March" Detour task in second place.

Terrence and Sarah finished the leg's Detour in third place, followed by Ken and Tina in fourth place. Andrew and Dan finished the Detour in fifth, and were followed by Nick and Starr -- who elected to not use their U-Turn on Kelly and Christy but asked Aja and Ty to use it on them instead. Aja and Ty followed Nick and Starr, but chose not to U-Turn Kelly and Christy. 

Kelly and Christy finished the Detour slowly after Christy suffered a bad fall, however Toni and Dallas were still the last team to complete the bicycle ride.

After becoming the first team to arrive at Los Titanes Del Ring, Ken and Tina learned that it would serve as the site of the leg's Roadblock task.  Dubbed "Fighting Cholitas," the Roadblock required one member of each team to learn a routine with a female wrestler and perform it mistake-free in order to receive their next clue.

If there was a mistake in the routine, the team member would be forced to re-learn the routine before attempting it again.

Ken learned the routine quickly and performed it correctly on his first try.  Afterward he and Tina received a clue that instructed them to take a taxi to Mirador el Monticulo, a hilltop park that would serve as the location of the Race's third Pit Stop.

Marisa and Brooke arrived at the arena second, with Marisa volunteering to take part in the Roadblock. Mark and Bill arrived third, with Mark choosing to take part.

Tony and Dallas arrived fourth and Dallas volunteered to participate, followed by Terrence and Sarah (with Sarah participating), Nick and Starr (with Nick participating), Andrew and Dan (with Dan participating), Aja and Ty (with Ty participating), and Kelly and Christy (with Kelly participating).

Mark performed his routine second, but failed to do the routine correctly. After failing the routine a second time, he required oxygen to catch his breathe.

Marisa performer third and did the routine incorrectly as well, forcing her to go back and re-learn it.

Dallas performed fourth without error and moved his team into second place as they proceeded to the Pit Stop.

Sarah performed fifth but made an error that forced her to relearn the routine as well.

After performing his routine correctly, Dan moved his team into third place. He was followed by correct routines from Nick and Ty, who moved into fourth and fifth place respectively as they traveled to the Pit Stop. 

Marisa was successful in her second attempt, putting her team in sixth place. Mark finally succeeded on his third attempt and moved into seventh place. Sarah succeeded on her second attempt, allowing her team to move into eight place.

Kelly finished her routine successfully on her first attempt, however she and Christy still left the Roadblock in last place.

For the second consecutive leg, Ken and Tina were the first team to arrive at the Pit Stop.  As their reward, they won a seven night trip to Cabos and Lucas Islands and the chance to race in an America's Cup yacht match race.

Toni and Dallas were the second team to arrive at the Pit Stop.  Terrence and Sarah managed to find a fast cab and jumped ahead of five teams and finished in third place, with Marisa and Brooke following close behind in fourth place. Aja and Ty followed with a fifth place finish, while Nick and Starr finished in sixth and Andrew and Dan placed seventh.

While in the taxi to the Pit Stop, Mark and Bill realized their earlier taxi error and assumed they would receive some type of penalty upon their arrival at the Pit Stop. They were correct, as Phil informed them that they would have to wait 30 minutes before officially checking in.

Unaware of the penalty affecting Mark and Bill, Christy and Kelly worried that they were going to be eliminated, while also deciding that they would confront Starr if they successfully avoided elimination.

While Kelly and Christy did arrive last at the Pit Stop, they did so while Mark and Bill were still waiting out their penalty. As a result, the girls avoided elimination while Mark and Bill were eliminated from The Amazing Race by Phil.

"If we lost a footrace that's one thing," Mark said following his elimination. "But because we lost something on just not reading [the directions] right, that just kills me."

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/mark-yturralde-and-bill-hahler-eliminated-from-the-amazing-race--7861.php

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
I am soooo going to miss them *sigh*!!! I'm so depressed, so very sad..so teary eyed. But still, they make me smile so ......... :<3.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
An interview with Mark and Bill:

"Our oxygen-starved brains were just trying to shuffle along."

The Bolivia leg of the race seemed like it could have been fun, if it hadn't taken place 12,000 feet above sea level. How did the altitude affect you?
Mark: I can tell you that it would have been much easier at sea level. The altitude really gave Bill and me some issues. When we look back on it, we realized how stupid we'd been all day. I was bumping into doors. We had trouble getting in and out of cabs. It was just a killer.
Bill: Mark was telling me that he was having trouble tying his shoes at one point. Our oxygen-starved brains were just trying to vaguely shuffle along and keep going.

Is that why you misread the clue and took a taxi when you were supposed to walk?
Bill: A little bit. We went into the race planning to always read the clue more than once. The reason that we didn't do it right there was because we'd just seen Terence and Sarah hop into their cab. It was kind of a lemming thing, where we just kind of went, "Oh, we have to do that," even though we had just read the words "on foot."
Mark: I wanted to take the extra second to read the clue again, but he wouldn't let me.

So, Bill's taking the blame for losing the race?
Bill: I was the person who said to take the taxi. I didn't remember saying it but I guess I did.
Mark: I'll have you know that that's my win from the race. I can give Bill grief about the taxi comment for the rest of his life. I guarantee you that when one of us is on our deathbed, our last word is going to be taxi.

Mark, did you ever think wrestling a woman would be so difficult?
Mark: Well you know I've wrestled a lot of women in my time ... No, when we were going up there, our taxi driver clued us in on what was going on. And I was like oh cholita wresting, I love those little cinnamon pastries. But I was mistaken. That was a churro. And it really wasn't going to be the same thing. But come on, how many people actually get to put on a spandex superhero outfit - which I looked damn good in - jump into the ring and get thrown about? It was awesome.

Bill, your snoring was a bit of a concern heading into the race. Did it ever become an issue?
Bill: I did snore. I don't know that I snored in Bolivia.
Mark: He snored in Bolivia because he couldn't breathe.
Bill: Honestly there were people snoring worse than me.
Mark: If you ever get the chance to talk to Ken and Tina, ask Tina about her snoring.

What's next?
Bill: Back to normal and enjoying spending time with our families and friends. We're just taking things as they come.
Mark: When we got eliminated, I went to talk to Phil and I said one of the reasons we got eliminated was because I wasn't in good enough physical shape. I was sick and tired of being out of shape and I told Phil that it was ending that day. I decided to change my life. Since I've gotten home, I've lost about 40 pounds and have gotten into competitive biking. I don't want to be that guy I saw in the spandex anymore.
Bill: He's doing great.

Link: http://www.intouchweekly.com/categories/tv_scoops/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »
Reality TV world Interview!

Exclusive: Mark Yturralde and Bill Hahler dish about 'The Amazing Race'

By John Bracchitta, 10/13/2008

Mark Yturralde and Bill Hahler began The Amazing Race 13 believing that their mental edge would more than make up for any physical limitations they posessed.

However, following a mental lapse and a slow cab ride, the "Best Friends" team became the third team to be eliminated from the show in last night's broadcast on CBS.

On Monday, Mark and Bill spoke to Reality TV World about what their mindset was going into the race, which team they agreed to a "non-agression pact" with, and why the thin air in the hills of Bolivia made it so difficult to focus.

Reality TV World: How'd you both end up on the show? Whose idea was it?

Mark: Mine.

Reality TV World: Ok, Was this the first time you have applied for [the show] or had you done it before?

Mark: No We had applied like ten times before. We've been applying pretty much non-stop since Season 3.

Reality TV World: About how long did it take you guys to find that newspaper ad that we saw on last night's leg?

Bill: We had actually paired up with [Terrence Gerchberg] and [Sarah Leshner] for that. You can kind of see that a little bit in the show, we were kind of next to them. And what happened was we divided up the paper into two-halves and we said 'We're gonna do one half and you guys do one half.'

And so we just starting scanning [the newspaper] and looking for English because of the classified [advertisements were in Spanish]. So we found that [advertisement] in, I don't know maybe 25-30 seconds?

Reality TV World: Really? Wow.

Bill: And then we sort of nudged Terrence and said, you know, L4 [the page number] and then we just took off to the hat shop.

Reality TV World: So you said it really only took you 25-30 seconds?

Bill: I mean, it might have been a minute. It definitely wasn't any longer than a minute.

Mark: We had a whole plan where Bill and I... Bill would start in the front and I started in the back. We were doing the even-numbered pages on the left and Terrence and Sarah were doing the odd-numbered pages. So we cut the [newspaper] into four pieces real quick and then the four of us just went 'Flip, flip, flip, flip, flip"

Reality TV World: In retrospect, do you wish that you had used a U-Turn option on someone?

Mark: Yes.

Bill: Yeah we definitely did. The problem was that we were.... because we had taken the taxi we had gotten pretty far out in front and we didn't know that though. All we knew was that we didn't see anybody. And we knew that Terrence and Sarah had gotten into a cab before we did so we didn't know if they had just taken the other Detour or... We didn't know what was going on.

So, we didn't want to use a U-Turn without knowing where everybody was.

Mark: And I'll tell you, when we walked up to the thing, the first words out of my mouth were "I want to U-Turn [Brooke Jackson] and [Marisa Axelrod]..."

Bill: (interrupting) It's true. He did say that.

Mark: ...and Bill talked me out of it. Ask Brooke and Marisa about that sometime when you have a chance. (both laugh)

Reality TV World: Okay I will, going on to another team... a lot of the teams seemed to be having issues with [Nick Spangler] and [Starr Spangler]. What was your opinion of them?

Mark: Well we knew that Nick was lying to us pretty much from the first second we met him. We said "Hi" and we asked what he did for a living and he told us. Then I went over and borrowed someone's computer and looked him up and found out what he really did.

So that kind of put us a little at guard and because, it's like, the very first thing out of his mouth was "Hi, I do this" and we were like "Oh, well you really jerked us around on that, ok."

But we had a little impromptu arrangement with them, which was pretty much "You don't mess with us, and we won't mess with you" and we'll do this for two legs and then we'll revisit it. They honored that with us. I mean, Nick and Starr never did anything mean to us. I will go so far as to say that Nick and Starr were never anything but nice to us!

I don't personally ave a problem with either one of them so I got a lot of mileage and I really enjoyed giving Nick grief for lying about what he did for a living, because I love a running joke.

Reality TV World: Do you think the show's portrayal of them has been accurate?

Bill: I think one of the things about Nick and Starr is that... One of the things about Mark and I, when Mark and I were discussing out strategies for The Amazing Race, one of the things we decided was that if it comes time to maybe screw over another team if it's really going to put us ahead or keep us from getting eliminated we'll do it. But we're not just going to be evil for the purpose of being evil, and if there's something that's mean or sneaky that doesn't get you anywhere, don't do it.

I think one of the problems that Nick and Starr may have is that I think they're a little too ready to take the sneaky option. And I think it's going to make it difficult for them with their relationships with other teams.

Mark: Yeah, we decided early on that we weren't going to be mean unless it moved us forward. Otherwise it really was pointless. And I think that [Nick and Starr] are definitely enjoying the role that they're playing. I mean you can see the glint in Nick's eye. He's having a good time in his own way.

Reality TV World: Was that cab ride to the Pit Stop really the first time you guys noticed you were supposed to have walked to the Detour?

Mark and Bill: Yes

Reality TV World: Ok. Was there anything in particular that led to you misreading the directions or you just not take the time to read it completely?

Mark: I'll let Bill talk about the major thing but I'm gonna say that one of the major [reasons] was just lack of oxygen. That altitude was messing with us big time, it was really making us stupid. I remember having a real difficulty at one point tying my shoes! I couldn't tie a knot! It just really lobotomized me.

Bill: And another thing that happened was [that] a little earlier we had seen Terrence and Sarah hop into that cab, so we were kind of in that mode of "Ok, read the clue and get going" so we did what we had seen them do. I think that's one of the reasons we messed it up is because we just got into that lemming mentality of "Just follow the crowd."  They realized their mistake, but we didn't.

Reality TV World: And I guess because you said the lack of oxygen was affecting you, do you regret that you didn't hail a cab to the hat shop?

Bill: No. I don't think that made much of a difference. It made some... I mean I was pretty winded when we got to the top. When you're following around two people who are in as good of shape as Sarah -- and especially as good of shape as Terrence is -- it's hard for guys like us to keep up with them. So they were chugging up the hill and we were huffing and puffing up the hill. I think it made a difference but I don't know if it would have stopped us from making the mistake or not.

In that sense I kind of regret it because it might have been better but we had thought that it was close enough that we'd get there faster because there was a lot of traffic.

Reality TV World: About how much actual time do you think you guys saved by taking the taxi?

Bill: Well it's hard to know, but I think Mark has a thought on that.

Mark: Yeah I think it was pretty close to 30 minutes. I think if [we would have had to] walk up that hill --- which was pretty major -- I don't think it made the difference.

I think the taxi driver that we had to-and-from the [Los Titanes del Ring] was much more of a factor in our elimination than the 30 minute penalty because I think it would have taken us 30 minutes to walk up that hill and get ready no problem. And we'd have to find the place with the big hill to get there? I think it would have taken us more than 30 minutes.

I actually, upon retrospect, think that the 30 minute penalty for taking the taxi ride to the top there was pretty fair.

Reality TV World: Mark, how big a role did your lightheadedness and lack of oxygen play in your struggles to complete the wrestling routine?

Mark: It was huge! I mean you see me say in the show that the second time I lift myself up and I'm practicing and then I get in the ring and I very nearly pass out. I was out there running around the ring, being physical, and it was really just beating me up. It felt like I had just run a marathon or something and could barely think. It was rough. It was really, really rough.

Reality TV World: Did anyone else have trouble breathing during the wrestling Roadblock challenge?

Mark: I don't want to name names or anything but I can tell you that there were a lot of other people who had some pretty serious difficulties and other people took advantage of their oxygen masks and had to stop to catch their breathes once or twice.

But at the same time there were some people that it just didn't effect in the slightest. There were some people who were just like "I'm fine" and went on their merry way.

Reality TV World: Did you see when Terrence got mad at Sarah during the first week for talking to other teams?  Were you involved in that?

Bill: We did talk to them a little bit, but we didn't really... We got to know them more during the Pit Stop for the second week I would say. Or maybe the Pit Stop for the first week. Not so much the camp out but the Pit Stop where she...  she had talked to us about this. She and Terrence talked to us and other teams and we had had dinner and that's where we really got to know them a little better. But I think at that point we were just kind of introducing ourselves and getting to know people. We weren't getting into a big heart-to-heart conversations yet.

Reality TV World: And then moving to last night's episode. Did you see any of the argument between Starr, [Kelly Crabb] and [Christy Cook] regarding the sports bra?

Mark: Yeah I mean I was standing right behind them. If you look in the shot you see me standing there wearing my little beanie. I watched and listened to the whole thing.

Reality TV World: Did you see anything when it actually happened? Did you see the incident occur?

Mark: No, we experienced the incident right after it had occurred though.

Bill: Yeah we had the initial report of "Hey this happened" you know? She had not confronted Starr yet but [Christie] had mentioned it to us and some other teams that "Hey, I think Starr took my sports bra."

Reality TV World: From watching on TV, there didn't seem to be as much cooperation or alliances as compared to some of the show's previous seasons.  You're kind of saying that you talked with a couple of teams and worked together, do you think that they just haven't been showing [those alliances] as much this season?

Mark: Well I think they've been showing better stuff. There hasn't been anything that has happened where I've been like "Wow that was so incredibly cool. Why didn't they show that?" But I think they've probably shown most of the major alliances that we were aware of.

Reality TV World: So besides [the teams of] Terrence and Sarah and Nick and Starr where there any other alliances that you formed?

Bill: Well we never really allied ourselves with Nick and Starr. Like we kind of just had a non-aggression....

Mark: (interrupting)  Yeah, we had a non-aggression pact. "You don't screw us and we won't screw you." There was a handshake and a smile on that and, for the record, they kept their end of the bargain.

Reality TV World: Was there anyone you didn't get along with?

Bill: Eh... the worst thing I can say is that we just hadn't met people. There were a couple teams that we just never got a chance -- during the three legs -- to get to know very well.

We didn't really get to meet [Toni and Dallas Imbimbo] that much during that time. Just a bit but not too much. [Andrew Lappitt] and [Dan Honig] we only got to talk to for a little. And [Anthony Marotta] and [Stephanie Kacandes] during the time that they were on before they got booted.

But I wouldn't say that there was anybody we actively disliked.

Reality TV World: Is there anything you [expected to see] on the show that didn't make it on the air?

(both pause to think)

Mark: It was that time I lifted the dune buggy with my bare hands out of the pot hole and placed it back on the sand! (both laugh) I'm surprised they didn't show that. (laughs again)

Bill: Just give me 10 seconds to think about that. (pause) No I can't think of anything. Nope, not really.  I have to say though that a lot of the stuff that we did see they showed on the show.

Mark: There's is one thing, during the elimination there was a point where I said something really, really sweet about my wife and I was hoping they would show that to earn me some major karma points (Bill laughs) but they didn't show that and I wish they had.

Bill: The one thing, I should say, that I wish they could have showed -- but I guess they didn't have time to -- Mark did a very good job of convincing people to help him. There were several points at which Mark was able to convince people to... well for example there was one point in the airport where he was able to get some people to rip some pages out of their guidebooks.

Mark: Yeah that was awesome. They should've shown that. They [also] didn't show the really nice lady in the plaza who gave us $300 dollars. (laughs)

Bill: Well not $300, 300 "bolivianos"

Mark: (to Bill) It was like $300 American!

Bill: (to Mark) Nooo...

Mark: (to Bill) Yeah it was!

Bill: It was a lot though wasn't it?

Mark: Eh, whatever it was it was a lot of money! (laughs)

Reality TV World: What was your favorite experience on The Amazing Race?

Mark: I would say that my two favorite experiences on the race were the very split second before we left where we are standing in the [Los Angeles Coliseum] and Phil's up there with his hand out and he's got his eyebrow arched and he's like "You're about to go on a race around the world!" And my stomach starts going and I'm getting all excited and like "Oh boy! Here we go!"

That was just freakin' amazing. That was really great.

The second time for me was probably when we shared time with [Ken and Tina Greene] on the [Pit Stop mat for the race's second leg]. That's when we found out about the trouble that they were having with their relationship and, you know, they're great people and I really love them both so much. And just the ability to be there and to find out about that.

That moment was very, very real [and] very, very emotional. That was a pretty touching moment.  We had just gotten beaten, but if coming in first and winning a couple of ATVs helps you take a step down the path to repairing your marriage, than screw the ATVs. I mean that. It was a very human moment.

Reality TV World: Did you have any least favorite experience?

Bill: The heat in Brazil was bad. After sweating -- and apparently that's what I do the best based on my viewing of myself on television. I sweat very well apparently -- but after sweating thought that bit in El Salvador and finally getting to the mat, and we got to the Pit Stop [and] there was some pineapple there. And I have never had pineapple that tasted so good than the pineapple right then.

It was so draining just running around, climbing the net and all of that kind of stuff. It was great! But it was just grueling at the same time.

Reality TV World: Is there any particular team you are rooting to win now that you're out?

Mark: Yeah I'm voting for Charla and Mirna!

Bill: I don't think they can pull it off. They're kind of [unavailable].

Mark: Yeah, it's going to be the upset of the century. Seriously.

Reality TV World: Is that code for you're not rooting for anybody?

Bill: We have teams that we like. At the point in time that we were eliminated we were working with Terrence and Sarah and we got along with them really nicely. At that point I think we sort of said to each other that we hoped they could pull it off.

Mark: Yeah, we love Terrence and Sarah.

Reality TV World: I know that when you two entered the race you had extra small backpacks. Did you have any other strategies going in and did you bring anything else unique with you?

Mark: I'm not gonna say just small. I'm going to go on record saying that Bill and I had the smallest bags in [The Amazing Race] history. I doubt anybody... and I [looked this up] I think we have the smallest bags ever, which I'm pretty proud of.

But our main strategies were what Phil said: Play to our strengths. If there's ever a choice between a physical and a mental task, take the mental task because we're just not going to be able to compete physically with some of these people. And don't be mean if we don't have to. And to enjoy it.

We both said just before we left as we were walking out onto the field. We looked at each other and we said "Look, we've been friends for 20+ years and we're gonna be friends after this. So nothing in this race is more important than our friendship and compromising who we are."  So we told ourselves we were going to do [this entire race] and be true to ourselves and be who we are. I think we did that

Bill: And another thing we kind of made a point of doing was... One thing I said before we got on [The Amazing Race] was that "The world is full of people who want to help you win the race. All you have to do is respect them and ask them nicely." I think we did that. I thought that every interaction we had with our cab driver were positive.

It didn't work out on the last one, [the cab driver] didn't take us on the best route, but that wasn't because he didn't like us or anything like that. So I think that we really did very well in interacting with the locals in all of the places that we went.

Reality TV World: And actually could you elaborate on that? How much do you think that last cab ride set you back?

Bill: Well, considering that we left before they did, Terrence and Sarah ended up in about third or fourth place and they had left next to last. They were able to make out a lot of time. And if our guy had done what their guy had done then it would have worked out great for us.

But as it stood, he kinda just took his way -- whatever that way was -- and we got there when we did.

Reality TV World: How easy or difficult were those wooden bikes to ride? It looks you two handled them alright but Christie took a pretty nasty spill with hers.

Mark: When we walked up to those rides I looked at them and was like (sings) "Flintstones, meet the Flintstones..."

Bill: We didn't expect them to be from the wood age.

Yeah. (laughs) They were pretty dang hard to ride. [Actually] it wasn't that the riding was so hard, it was just that they were so unstable and [quirky]. They are totally carved out of wood. The only thing that wasn't made of wood was the tires, which are hammered on strips of leather over wood, over wood. So there is no cushioning, no comfiness and you're riding down a cobblestone street.

It's one of those things where whenever you hear anybody talk [on them] they're all going (in a shaky voice) "o-o-o-k, w-e-'-r-e  g-o-o-o-i-n-g" (laughs) It was really, really jarring. Everyone said how much their butt hurt after they were riding those bikes.

Mark: I will tell you that another great part of [the race] that they showed. When he hit those bikes and we hit the final tunnel, I looked at Bill and I got this gleam in my eye and said "Time to get some skin in the game" and I picked up my feet totally off of the break [pedal] and went down that hill full-blast. I probably hit about 30 mph going down that tube, that was pretty crazy.

And I remember about halfway through it going like "You know I always wondered how I'd die. Apparently it's on a wooden bike in Bolivia."

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-mark-yturralde-and-bill-hahler-dish-about-the-amazing-race-7862.php
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
An interview with Mark and Bill:

I’m Obi-Wan, He’s Anakin: Mark and Bill On Their Surprise Elimination from The Amazing Race

Mark and Bill seem poised to excel on The Amazing Race. The duo more than made up for in brains what they lacked in brawn, as evidenced by their near-perfect second leg of the race. But the high altitude did a number on their analytical abilities and they ended up being eliminated for, of all things, poor reading comprehension. They spoke with fancast about misreading the clue, sports bra-gate, and why they’re proud to be part of the Geek Pride movement.

I have to know. How did the two of you manage to miss the key line, about traveling to the detour on foot, when you read the clue?
Bill: Part of it was that we were really tired from running from the statue to the hat shop. But one of the things that really messed us up is when we went into the hat shop, Terrance and Sarah were leaving. They had gotten into the cab already. We had seen them do that. So our thought was, “Get in the shop, get the hat, let’s get our clue. I was reading it, but not like I should have been. It was a lemming mentality, something we’d sworn we’d do was read every clue more than once and we went back on our promise to ourselves. We kind of paid for it.
Mark: That’s all very true, but I’m blaming oxygen deprivation. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

You could blame Terence. He’s a convenient scapegoat.
Mark: Actually, at that particular point in time the two of us and Terrance and Sarah were kind of helping each other out. He didn’t mean to screw us up, though that’s kind of the way it happened. I’ve been absolutely blaming Bill all day. There was this shot of Bill going, “Let’s take a taxi.” So for the rest of my life I can say it was all his fault.

Why didn’t you U-turn anybody?
Bill: Because we took the taxi, we were way out ahead, but we didn’t know that because we thought everyone was taking a taxi. All we knew was that no one else was around us. So what we hoped that someone else who could see another team behind them would use the U-Turn.

All the other teams seemed to think the same thing. Why is there a reluctance to use the U-turn when it’s such a strategic advantage?
Bill: Everyone wants to save it for later in the game when it’s more important. If we’d seen any teams behind us we’d have used it. But we didn’t want to waste it. We thought we were doing pretty well.
Mark: I did say, though they didn’t show, that I wanted to U-turn Brooke and Marissa but Bill talked me out of it.

What happened during the wrestling task? It looked like it was really challenging because of the high altitude.
Bill: The high altitude was absolutely killing me. It made everything ten times more difficult than it had ever been before. It was really draining. It was like you had no energy, like your hands weighed 500 pounds.
Mark: One thing to bear in minds is that the neighborhood in La Paz that the stadium was in was even higher than downtown La Paz. It’s about two or three thousand feet above where we spent the night.

How did you decide which one of you was going to wrestle?
Bill: After running around and doing the bike challenge, I had started to cough a lot. I was having a hard time doing anything. So we were talking in the cab because our driver had tipped us off that where we were going had to do with wrestling. We decided whoever’s coughing the least should be the one to do it. And that wound up being Mark.
Mark: In retrospect we should probably have had Bill do it because he spoke the language and I didn’t. They were trying to train us and the trainers didn’t speak English. At the end of the day I was the one who had to do it three times to get past it.

What moments of your race do you wish had made it on the show?
Mark: I wish they had shown the very end when I was on the mat I said something to the effect of, “I’m lucky that I get to go home to my beautiful wife and my healthy kid. I have a great job and a good life.” Everybody who goes on the race is humbled by the experience. I wish they’d shown that solely so I could score points with my wife. It probably didn’t fit the image the show was trying to create. On TV people who are computer savvy aren’t allowed to have wives.
Bill: That clip is on the web.
Mark: I’ve got to send my wife that link right now.

Who were you rooting for after you got eliminated?
Bill: Terence and Sarah.
Mark: They were trying to help us out. We were trying to help them out. You saw a tiny clip of that when we found the newspaper clue. We split the paper with them.

Do you think they got a fair edit?
Bill: Terrance is a very intense guy. He’s very, very driven. Some people weren’t getting along with him from the other teams. He’s a good guy but people mistake his passion for him being stuck or not that nice a guy.
Mark: I’ll tell you for the record that’s not true. Terrance is one of the nicest guys and one of the best friends a guy could ever hope to have. People are misinterpreting his competitiveness and his intensity. You don’t get to be Terrance and do things like run the Boston Marathon without having that sort of focus.

Were you aware of Sports Bra-Gate between Nick and Starr and Kelly and Christy?
Bill: Kelly and Christy talked about her sports bra going missing and they thought that Starr was responsible. No one had actual evidence of anything. The first confrontation wasn’t until what aired. We knew about it ahead of time. We were like, “uh-oh, here it comes.”

As a strategy, does dropping someone’s sports brad over a balcony even make sense?
Mark: It seemed unlikely. It just doesn’t seem like it would be worth the risk of being fingered as a sports-bra dropper in order to accomplish not a whole lot. Nick and Starr did seem to have a taste for the sneaky. I think that’s why Kelly and Christy got suspicious of them.
Bill: I wouldn’t say any team was above doing something if they thought it would give them an advantage but I’m not sure what pushing someone’s sports bra over a ledge would get you, but if it were someone’s shoes I might have gone for it.

If you had it to do over again, would you have prepared differently?
Mark: I would have worked out a lot harder. I would have made a much higher intensity commitment to getting into shape.
Bill: I’d go along with that. Otherwise, maybe more time preparing with foreign languages. There are a lot of places on the planet where I don’t speak the language. Even the Portuguese was a problem initially until I nice person decided to give us their Portuguese-English phrasebook.

Kynt and Vyxsin are fancast’s celebrity Amazing Race bloggers. They have this question for you: Regarding your defeat, Yoda cryptically advised, and we quote, "Always two there are, a Master and an Apprentice." Looking back at your Amazing Race adventure, which of you do you consider to be "the Master" and which of you is "the Apprentice"?
Mark: As much as it pains me to say this, if we’re going to work on that simile I am 100% Anakin and Bill is 100% Obi-Wan. I’m the brash reactive one and Bill is always going, “Think for a second. What are you doing?” As much as it rips my still-beating heart from my chest to admit it, I’d have to cop to being the Padewan.

How did going on the race change your lives?
Mark: First of all I met an insanely great group of people. I love every single one of these people like they were family. We bonded on a level that is difficult to describe to people who weren’t there. The second thing is when we were eliminated from the mat I looked at Bill and said, “You know I’m tired of being the fat guy. I’m tired of being the guy who gets out of breath and comes in last.” I’ve lost 40 pounds. I’ve run a 10K. I just did a 102 mile bike race last weekend with 5500 feet of vertical climbing. I’m training for one of the most difficult bike races in the world the Road Master in New Zealand.

Anything else you’d like America to know about the two of you?
Mark: We were absolutely who we were. We didn’t pretend to be someone else. If you got to know us socially, those would be the people that we are. We are geeks. We’re really geeky about a lot of stuff. Until recently “geek” was always a bad word. I’m glad that me and my geek brethren have decided to own the word. People are now like, “Oh those guys are just geeky about that.” It’s socially acceptable now. If we [helped] dispel the myth that geeks live in their parents’ basement, or have no life then that was well worth it.

Link: http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/10/im_obiwan_hes_anakin_mark_and.html#more

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:40:30 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »
I was impressed that someone from World Race Productions decided to play a little trick on Mark and Bill. The Elimination Station video shows them receiving on their beds on arrival at Casa Legouia wrestling masks for each one. Possibly this was their escort, but more likely someone else. What irony that their first gift in Mexico is wrestling masks.

However, I was not surprised that the 3 teams went out to the Mexican wrestling match that evening. I have seen Mexican wrestling on both Bizarre Foods and Rick Bayless' Mexico: One Plate at a Time and it is much like American professional wrestling except the masks are a bit bizarre. I bet one of the production people clued Arthur and Anita in and they made arrangements to go to the wrestling arena. Bill and mark appeared to thoroughly enjoy it(as did Arthur/Anita but definitely not Anthony/Stephanie).

EDITOR's NOTE - Peach has graciously pointed out that I named a team not eliminated(which makes it imposssible for them to be in Acapulco at that time and know what is going on). Of course, it was Anthony/Stephanie and I have corrected it above.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:30:28 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »
Bill and mark appeared to thoroughly enjoy it (as did Arthur/Anita but definitely not Terence/Sarah).

Yep...had they been in Elim Station that day they def would not have been enjoying it! Eeeek!  :o :o :o

Think that would have actually been Anthony and Stephanie, who CBS sadly gave us so little face time of that it is easy to confuse them...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2008, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »

http://www.comic-con.org/

San Diego Comic Con.  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
Self-professed geeks 'lobotomized' by altitude on 'The Amazing Race'
Tyrone Warner, CTV.ca

Best friends Mark Yturralde and Bill Kahler couldn't handle the change of climate as the "Amazing Race" wound through La Paz, Bolivia -- a city at 12,000 feet above sea level.

"The problem is that we were at an altitude that humans were not meant to exist at," Mark tells CTV.ca.

"That altitude just completely lobotomized us. We had just not been reading the clues, and grew more and more impaired over that day. I even remember at one point having difficulty tying my shoes."

Because the self-professed comic book geeks mis-read a clue, they received a 30-minute penalty at the end of the last leg. Another team arrived during that window, which meant that Mark and Bill were eliminated.

"The Amazing Race" pits teams of two in a world-wide trek, where the winning pair goes home with a US$1 million prize. Teams must dash through pre-determined "legs," in which they face both physical and mental challenges, with the last place team sent home.

"The Amazing Race" airs Sunday nights on CTV.

CTV.ca: I'm curious, how often do you get to rest on the race?

Mark: Once the leg starts, it's just go, go, go! It's very intense and stressful. That is, until you get on a plane, at that point you get to chill out. But when you are in the city, it is non-stop, and you don't want to take that bathroom break. You make a point, that when that plane starts heading in for a landing, you should make sure that you've gone to the bathroom. We have that conversation often: "Have you gone yet? You should go anyways."

CTV.ca: So you're saying you forged a new level of intimacy in your relationship then?

Mark: We definitely went some places we haven't been... uncomfortably so!

Bill: I've never actually stopped to consider bladder control as a competitive advantage, but I'd imagine that it plays a factor in the race.

CTV.ca: What was your personal highlight of the trip?

Mark: At the beginning of the race, right when the host Phil (Keoghan) says "Go," there was this moment I experienced that mixed euphoria with complete and utter dread. It's become a sensation that I have a major addiction to.

Bill: I enjoyed just getting that little taste of these completely foreign places.

CTV.ca: Has your lives changed much since the race?

Mark: When we were on the mat for the last time, I looked at Bill and said, "You know, I'm tired of being this fat guy. I'm tired of being overweight and the last guy up the stairs. That changes and it changes today." I meant that and I've been getting in shape, I've lost over 40 pounds.  :hearts:

CTV.ca: Anything you'd like to say to your Canadian fans?

Bill: You guys rock. I've only ever had the chance to go to Vancouver, but I'd like to see more of it. All the people I met in Canada were terrific.

Mark: I love Canada. I have several good friends from Canada, and I've been there many, many times. I love it there. I love Quebec. When I was in high school, my best friend was from Canada, and for a year of our lives we convinced ourselves that we were Bob and Doug McKenzie. SCTV was the first regular TV show I ever watched and Canada has had a major influence on who I am today, in all sorts of strange, subtle levels.

Note: Mark insisted that "Hi Sarah" be included with this interview. He is really trying to "get at her."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20081017/race_geeks_081017