Author Topic: Lances Survivor Pick em.  (Read 9343 times)

CindiLou

Re: Lances Survivor Pick em.
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 03:30:30 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I was finally able to get my picks in. I was sooooooo worried because I hadn't voted this week yet.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 03:53:10 PM »
I am in northwestern Vermont, home of Kathy Vavrick O'Brien (I have plenty of stories about that!).  Originally from Western New York (Buffalo).
Oh..a neighbor...well..almost..I'm from Pa.
I could only imagine how beautiful Vermont is in the fall  :D
I hope that you can share your stories about Kathy..You know her Lance??

Offline lpickup

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Can't Survive without Survivor
    • Lance's Survivor Pick'Em
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2004, 04:13:25 PM »
Yeah, it's quite nice here in the fall, but also in the summer (nice and cool), winter (love the skiing) and spring (maple syrup!).  Of course the reason it's so nice here in the fall is because they clear cut the forests in the 1800's for lumber.  Practically the whole state was bare.  The first trees that grow back are hardwoods, so that's what makes up most of our forests and mountains.  Amazing how an environmental tragedy like that can have such beautiful results!

As for Kathy, I don't know her personally, but many people my wife and I know do.  Okay, so this will sound a bit like a bad joke about my friend's brother in law's mechanic's dentist's mother's ...  but...

The father of a classmate of my son's (whom I do know very well -- he has participated in several Eco-Challenges and finished 12th in the last one) is good friends with Kathy and actually trained her on survival skills.  Because of their friendship, she came and spoke to my son's class and has spoken at a school assembly.  A friend of mine at work who's a big rock climber claims to be friends with her.  And finally, my wife's boss's wife works with Kathy and this is the relationship that has paid off the biggest!  My wife and I were invited to a private party Kathy threw at the conclusion of S4, so I did get to meet her and ask questions and all that jazz.  She spoke for about 2 hours on all the behind the scenes stuff.  It is truly amazing what you don't see on TV!  Just to listen to her speak you can tell the experience changed her life and I can imagine why they would be willing to go through that again knowing how hard it was.

So, we are all rooting for Kathy here in Burlington!  She's done some not-too-smart things this season, but is otherwise strong, but with the way her tribe has just lost challenge after challenge and the resentment that the new Mogo Mogo must feel losing their camp (and Amba), I think the new Chapera will be quickly decimated following the merge, so the prospects do not look positive for her.   :( But, remember, I'm only slightly above average in my picking ability, so don't listen to me!

...Lance
...Lance

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 05:26:08 PM »
What kind of DVR is in the DishNetwork models? I want to go to dishnet, but I don't know about thier DVRs, and that is the only reason I would go to dishnet. It isn't TiVo I take it???

Rob

Theresa

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2004, 01:13:53 AM »
You all are going to scare him off, lol. 

i love your stories too Lance, that is really cool to hear about Kathy.  She is one of my very favorite survivors.  i just knew she would be a good person. Thanks for the stories.

theresa

Offline lpickup

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2004, 06:55:34 AM »
What kind of DVR is in the DishNetwork models? I want to go to dishnet, but I don't know about thier DVRs, and that is the only reason I would go to dishnet. It isn't TiVo I take it???

Nope, it's not TiVo, it's a homebrew DVR.  And unfortunately they are switching over to a business model much like TiVo (monthly fee).  I think you can still get a 501 that has no monthly fee, but their newer models are subsidized (you can get one for as little as $199) but they have a $5 monthly fee (if you buy certain packages or make certain committments, I think you can get this fee waived).

On the negative side, these DVR's do not have many of the cool features of TiVo.  Even though there is a guide built in and you select shows to watch/record via the on-screen guide, the actual events you set up to record are simply based on date/time.  So unlike TiVo, if a show is on a different day or is a 2 hour special or something like that, you will miss it unless you remember to set up a new timer.  They have said that they are going to be changing to a title-based recording in the future.  It also doesn't make recommendations and such.

On the plus side, it records the actual digital bitstream from the satellite, so you are in essence using the $2 million MPEG encoders at the uplink center rather than a $150 MPEG encoder built into your box.  So you get highest quality video at excellent compression, meaning for the same size hard drive unit, you will get more hours of video on the Dish PVR.  Of course it won't record cable/antenna shows, but since Dish Network has locals in many markets, this isn't always an issue.  Also, even with the monthly fee, it is cheaper than TiVo.  Finally, Dish has the world's only HDTV DVR, the 921.  This one WILL record HDTV you receive off an antenna, plus it has 2 tuners so you can record 2 shows at once in case of conflicts!  It comes with a 250GB hard drive which will hold about 25 hours of HDTV.  This will cost you though:  the unit is about $1000!

Overall, I would recommend the Dish Network/DVR solution.  Sure, I would like some of the features the TiVo has, but I'm also a cheapskate and not willing to pay for it!

...Lance
...Lance

Offline lpickup

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2004, 07:03:30 AM »
Well, so much about being in the top half...I've slipped to the 48th percentile!  I absolutely thought Lex was safe for at least 1 week.  I knew Boston Rob was going to screw him, but to do it right away is absolutely shocking!  In fact, I thought it would have been more strategic to bring him along for a week and get more info out of him and perhaps set things up a little more.  I mean who was Shii Ann attached to (besides Lex and Kathy?)  She was the biggest target in my opinion.  I guess BR was too afraid that he almost got beat in the Immunity Challenge.  I'm waiting for the ol' Rupe to show his strength (I think he's been holding out until after the merge).  Once he wins Immunity, I think BR is history (again, in case you didn't hear me last time, I am now 591 out of 1131, so don't listen to me!)   :)
...Lance

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 11:40:30 AM »
I'm waiting for the ol' Rupe to show his strength (I think he's been holding out until after the merge).  Once he wins Immunity, I think BR is history (again, in case you didn't hear me last time, I am now 591 out of 1131, so don't listen to me!)   

I want Rupert to win ssooooo bad Lance!! I think he threw the IC last night..??
How about Kathy Kick Ass !! I never ever would have thought she could outlast the younger girls !! YAY! For us older girls..(I'm 44  :P)
 I'm gloating about my score at your site 1065!!!!! Tied for 1st place .. ;) on the cheaterboard ..

Rank Name Points Rank Change
 Cheater Leaderboard....
1 Mary 1065 -
1 puddinpie 1065 -  ;D ;D
1 bruce 1065 -
1 Garver 1065

Offline lpickup

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2004, 12:49:22 PM »
Kathy has said that swimming is her weak point (although she specifically trained on this before she left).  She seems to take preparing for the game pretty seriously and talked about how amazed she was that the other people she played with on Marquesas were expecting a lot more comforts than they got and had little or no survival skills.  Still, I simply cannot believe that Alicia did not do better in that challenge.

But now I think Kathy is in a pretty vulnerable position.  But, let's see what happens.

As for Rupert, I think he's been sandbagging all season long, waiting for the merge to show his strength (even then it's risky to show too much strength).  Still, I am holding out hope that he will win an Immunity soon and his first move should be to expel Rob (and I think he knows this).  The problem is that he's a man of his word and he thinks he has an alliance with Rob.  The truth is that NO ONE, with the possible (but only possible) exception of Amba has a true alliance with him.

...Lance
...Lance

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 12:59:19 PM »
Still, I am holding out hope that he will win an Immunity soon and his first move should be to expel Rob (and I think he knows this). 
Thats what I'm hoping for!!!!!  :D :D ..I think that Jenna & Rupert will be the final two.... :D

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2004, 01:38:35 PM »
Lances Pool B
I posted this to Lance..
Pool B
by: puddinpie  7:14PM ET Saturday, Apr 10

Lance? Can anyone join Pool B? If so...how do I join?

Thanks..Puddin

Lances Reply..
Pool B entries
by: Admin  5:20PM ET Monday, Apr 12

Yes, Pool B is open to anyone. To enter it, just go to your weekly summary page (the one that comes up when you click on your name on the main page) and you will see Pool B at the bottom of the page. Click "Edit" to enter your picks.

...Lance

I signed up ..I wanted to let our team know about this, all you have to do is predict the final 8 Survivor players correctly  :).....puddin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 01:41:16 PM by Puddin »

CindiLou

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2004, 06:28:55 PM »
And then do WE win a million dollars?  ;D