Author Topic: Jerri Manthey's Survivor: All-Stars Web Chat Transcript  (Read 3352 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Jerri Manthey's Survivor: All-Stars Web Chat Transcript
« on: April 02, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »
Jerri Manthey's Survivor: All-Stars Web Chat Transcript

http://www.survivorfever.net/chat_s8_jerri.html          ;)

Host:  Thanks for being here today Jerri, are you ready to take some questions?
Jerri:   I'm ready.
Question:  Were you surprised that your tribe chose to keep Amber over you and that she was able to convince them to do so?
Jerri:  I was unbelievably surprised when Lex let me know that he was going to vote me off instead of Amber.  I never saw it coming.  But I respected the fact that he approached me and didn't blindside me.

Question:  I think you are the most intelligent female Survivor and you played a very smart game.  After Lex told you that they were planning to vote you off, what did you do to stay in the game?
Jerri:  I pleaded my case to Lex and tried to make him understand that it was a dangerous maneuver and very risky because he was giving up the one person in the game that he could trust 150 percent.

Question:  It is a shame that the women never realized you could have been in control.  Did you try talking to Kathy and Shii Ann before last night about getting rid of the men?
Jerri:  Absolutely.  The episode that Richard Hatch was voted off the three of us girls discussed keeping Richard around to help us vote off Lex, Ethan and Colby.  But right before Tribal Council we all watched Richard Hatch run around in total desperation ready to screw over everybody and anyone.  We knew he couldn't be trusted and he had to go.  After that the girl's alliance was never discussed again.

Question: So, Jerri, why did you want revenge against Colby?
Jerri:  Laughs   For the same reason that playing your rival team in high school sports and beating them feels good.  I got to experience the same feeling by lasting longer than Colby.

Question:  Colby has come across as a very sanctimonious, judgmental jerk in all his post-game interviews.  Is he really like that in person?
Jerri:  Man is that a loaded question!  I personally have absolutely nothing against Colby, and that is why it is so difficult to understand where all of the negativity towards me from him is coming from.

Question:  Did you really really really think you could actually trust anyone out there?  I'm sure you wanted to but did you think you could?
Jerri:  You can never in the game of Survivor trust anyone 100 percent.  And that's just the way it is.  Except me.  (laughs)

Question:  Do you have a grudge against Lex now for turning on you and saving Amber?
Jerri:  I don't carry a grudge against anyone.  Lex is a very good friend of mine, even outside the game, and he truly did what he felt he needed to do, and I respect that.

Question:  What was your feeling when you saw who your fellow Saboga teammates were?
Jerri:  I was initially very excited to see Rupert on my team.  I didn't know how I was going to deal with Jenna and Ethan, given that they had dated before.  I was very excited to be with Rudy.  And I was a little apprehensive about being on the same team with Tina because she had voiced many times that she did not like me.

Question:  What was going through your mind when Rupert was building the Saboga shelter?  Did it surprise you that Jenna and Ethan did not back you up when you objected?
Jerri:  I was very concerned about Rupert digging a hole in the sand on the beach with rising tides, and chose to voice my concerns, but did so with a soft voice and gentle demeanor because I wanted to avoid confrontation of any kind.  But I felt that everyone's safety was at risk.  I was very disappointed that no one else expressed concern, especially when I asked for a group vote.  And without any support, and to again avoid confrontation, I decided to go ahead an help build the unsafe ridiculous shelter.

Question:  Did you think the crew should have come and helped you guys/gals out when that awful storm hit?
Jerri:  I was actually the person who voiced my concern, again, and became extremely worried at the conditions and at our being stranded on the beach.  Our beach was literally washed away and the storm was so severe that the camera crews had to retreat from our camp and then became completely cut off from us by a raging stream.  It was by far the most frightening experience of my life.  The four of us stood underneath a tree, clustered together, shivering for close to eight hours.  We told stories, sang songs.   In order to keep our minds focused and not to dive into the misery we were experiencing. However, at one point, my fear overtook me and I still to this day believe I might have had hypothermia and could not get warm, even when the sun came out.  It was the worst experience of my life.

Question:  It seems like you were ready to quit at one point this season.  Were the conditions much tougher than in the Outback?
Jerri:  The conditions were a thousand times tougher than the Outback.  And yes, there was a moment when I wondered if it was all worth it.

Question:  What made you decide to do All Stars after the negative editing you got in the Outback?
Jerri:  Maybe I'm crazy.  I honestly wanted to win the money, and at one point realized it may also be the perfect opportunity for people to see the softer side of my personality.

Question:  Are you surprised at Ethan's obvious dislike for you after he got booted?
Jerri:  I was completely shocked by Ethan's negative response, and again had no idea he had those feelings toward me until I watched the show.

Question:  Were you expecting to get booted the week that Ethan was voted off?  Was the relief at this reprieve better than the joy of seeing Colby get booted?
Jerri: I knew Ethan was going to get voted off the night that he did.  I'm always relieved when I return to camp from Tribal Council.

Question:  I was wondering if you ever considered trying to form an alliance with Colby instead of going against him?
Jerri:  I never considered forming an alliance with Colby, mainly because I found out the first time in Australia that I couldn't trust him.  And I was not about to put myself in that same position again.  What's that saying... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

Question:  While you were there, did you know that Kathy and Shii Ann were getting so annoyed by you?  How do you react to seeing what was going on behind your back?
Jerri:  I had absolutely no idea Kathy and Shii Ann were harboring such negative feelings toward me.  It was very difficult to watch.  I believe Shii Ann's motivation was to be on TV.  Kathy's motivation I still don't get.

Question:  You and Shii Ann obviously couldn't get along.  Why were you so annoyed by her?  What specifically did she do to get on your nerves?
Jerri:  First of all, even though I found Shii Ann to be annoying, much like everyone else did, I didn't feel it was necessary to bring attention to my irritation by talking smack behind her back.  Shii Ann was the type of person who was "chameleon-like" and more or less became the person she was hanging out with.  She said and did everything she could around each person in order to be liked by all.  But her strategy was transparent as glass.

Question:  Why did Tom pick you to have a private chat with?  Did you have a good relationship pre-game?
Jerri:  Big Tom and I keep in touch on a regular basis.  He LOVES to flirt with me, and I love to flirt back with him.  He's a big teddy bear and a good friend, and it was nice to be on a date with him.

Question:  Did you have any trouble understanding Big Tom during your "chat" last night?
Jerri:  I've gotten pretty used to Big Tom's dialect. But still every once in a while he throws me off.

Question:  In the archery competition, were the weapons flawed?  You had good form, so I can't understand why you missed.
Jerri:  All of the archery equipment was handmade, so the precision of my shot was not as perfect as it usually is.

Question:  I thought your comments about Amber when you voted were sincere.  Have you two been friends since your show?
Jerri:  I absolutely adore Amber and found it to be quite appropriate that it came down to her and myself.

Question:  What kind of promises did Amber make to Kathy, Shii Ann and Lex?
Jerri:   I have no idea.  When Amber was discussing her staying with Kathy I was with Lex fishing and collecting mollusks as well as refilling our water containers, trying to prove my "work ethic" was strong.

Question:  What did you think when you saw Rob conspiring with Lex, do you think that it's fair to communicate with the other tribe after a challenge?
Jerri:  My initial reaction was - Hey! He cheated! But I quickly rethought the situation and give Rob kudos for thinking on his feet and doing what he had to do to keep Amber around.

Question: Can you believe everyone is so scared of Boston Rob?
Jerri:  Honestly, I don't know what dynamic exists between Rob and his tribe because I was on the other team.

Question:  Do you think the romance between Amber and Rob is a good strategy for the game?
Jerri:  I think it's risky, and can either work greatly in your favor or horribly against you.

Question:  Did you really think it was such a good idea to get rid of Colby and/or Ethan even though they would have had huge targets on them come merge time?
Jerri:  It was too risky to keep Colby and Ethan around because of their physical strength and their ability to win individual immunity over and over again.

Question:  You seem a little different this time around, less playful and more serious about strategy. Is it fair to say that your goals were different this season than they were in Australia?
Jerri:  I was definitely much more affected physically and emotionally on the All Stars because I allowed myself to be more vulnerable than I did in Australia.  I adjusted my strategy, and it still didn't work.  But I'm happy and proud of the way I played the game.

Question:  How did the fact that some of you already knew each other well impact the game?
Jerri:  The fact that we all knew each other and still see each other frequently made this playing this game all the much harder, because for me personally I have very close bonds with a lot of the players, and what happens more times than not was that friendships were suddenly at stake.  For me, I chose not to take the decisions of my friends in the context of the game to heart.

Question:  They should have voted off Amber I think to let Rob's ego down might have affected his game play.  What is your opinion?
Jerri:  Well of course I'm going to agree and say Amber should have gone rather than me.  I was in a position where I was ready to start playing a tough game.

Question:  Who would you say was your biggest threat from the old Mogo Mogo tribe:  Lex, Kathy or Shii Ann?
Jerri:  I would have to say Lex in the end would have been a bigger threat for me.  Mostly because he's a guy, and when it comes to strength, guys are much more physically adept at winning challenges that require physical strength

Question:  I can't believe Lex actually thought voting you off was a good strategy.  Why do you think Mogo Mogo is so scared of Rob M?
Jerri: I can only speak for myself and say that when watching Boston Rob at the various challenges, I saw in his eyes sheer determination and the desire to play this game, and that in itself was incredibly intimidating for me.

Question:  You and Jonny Fairplay are regarded as the most infamous all-time players in Survivor, how do you feel about that?
Jerri:  I'm thoroughly disgusted at the idea or suggestion of being put in the same category as Jonny Fairplay.

Question:  Were you trying to boot out previous winners first simply because they were previous winners, or were you just going with the flow to keep yourself safe?
Jerri:  I agreed with Jenna to go after previous winners strictly because it kept me in the game longer and it made Jenna feel like she was calling the shots, thereby taking me out of the spotlight.

Question:  Whether they love you or hate you, all viewers find you a compelling and fascinating player to watch.  Do you make a conscious effort to be interesting for the cameras?
Jerri:  Absolutely not.  Specifically in All Stars, I made it a point to step back and let anyone else who wanted camera time to have it, given that most of what is shown is people talking smack about each other, and that is a game I did not want to play.

Question:  Did anyone in Saboga point fingers at Rupert for the shelter fiasco after the storm?  And did he ever apologize to you or the tribe?
Jerri:  Rupert never apologized at all to anyone regarding his decision to make an unsafe shelter.  It seemed as if everyone ignored all together what happened in that storm.  I however was greatly affected and could not hold back my complete breakdown.

Question:  When Kathy was asked to go with the Chaperas for her yacht ride, would you have wanted to be chosen or was staying with your group safer?
Jerri:  I would have loved to have gone on the yacht ride.  It would have given me a chance to bond with Chapera.  It would probably not have changed the outcome for me however.

Question:  I think you are great.  You seemed to know a lot about the past Survivors, if you could pick your own all star tribe, who would be on it?
Jerri:  Definitely Big Tom because he's so entertaining and a good friend.  Amber because she is a friend as well and a trustworthy ally (or she was once.)  Lex most definitely because he makes me smile and laugh.  Rudy because he's such an amazing human being.   And Rob Cesternino because he's a sucker for the ladies and I would have loved to have played the game with him.

Question:  When you selected buffs from the vase, were you allowed to take any one you wanted?  Or did they instruct you to take the top one only?
Jerri:  We were allowed to grab whatever buff we wanted to.  It was a complete coincidence that it happened the way it did.

Question:  Are you or the other Survivors smokers?  I imagine withdrawal would be horrendous
Jerri:  I myself am not.  However a really good story comes from my Australia experience and Mad Dog, who was a chain smoker and had to wear a patch in order to get by without nicotine.  And I still to this day have a huge amount of respect for her because she never once let on that she missed her daily cigarettes.  Never once did she get cranky.

Question:  My best wishes are with you in all your ventures.  How's your acting career going?  Any new projects in the works?
Jerri:  Thanks for the best wishes.  I currently am working on a couple of independent films.  Two short films that I completed can be seen on instantfilms.com.  I am also in a band, I play the drums, dance as well as spin fire.  The band is called Mutaytor.  You can check out our performance dates at mutaytor.com.  I feel incredibly fortunate that I'm doing all the things I love and doing them full time.

Host:  Our time with Jerri is up.  Any final words for the fans?
Jerri:  I would just like to say that I am very grateful for all the people who have supported me and understood me, regardless of what other people thought of that.  It has meant the world to me to know that there are people out there that get me.  I strongly urge everyone to never give up and follow your dreams because you never know what can happen.