Author Topic: Celebrity Apprentice 2  (Read 79365 times)

Offline pledge

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Celebrity Apprentice 2
« Reply #225 on: May 11, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »
Between Annie and Joan.........I'm glad Joan won.   :jumpy:
I had never heard of Annie but from watching the show and
of course the way she was edited.......I didn't much care for
the way she worked and way too much "I"  "I"   "I"

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #226 on: May 11, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »
Between Annie and Joan.........I'm glad Joan won.   :jumpy:
I had never heard of Annie but from watching the show and
of course the way she was edited.......I didn't much care for
the way she worked and way too much "I"  "I"   "I"

She's a master at it isn't she! It was so apparent that Joan was on a high over helping her charity and it wasn't a time to berate Joan over a party planner. It became tiresome, especially when she out raised Joan by a huge amount.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »
'The Celebrity Apprentice' recap: Dinosaur crushes shark

Poor Annie Duke. All season the momentum's been building to a Joan Rivers victory, and Annie surely saw it coming. Or maybe not: Just take a look at the chart Jim Cramer provided us with last night. Annie had more victories (7 to Joan's 6), more wins as project manager (2 to Joan's 1 win/1 loss), and she raised the most money for charity. She's a ''a brilliant strategist'' and ''all about business,'' but apparently that's not enough to compete with Joan, who's ''all heart.'' When it comes to numbers and playing the game, Annie won. But she must've missed the day when the competition went from ''finding the best businessperson'' to ''finding the most loyal friend.''

Last night on Donald Trump's My New BFF, the final challenge was to throw a silent auction combining the branding power of Kodak's EasyShare digital picture frame, Cirque du Soleil's Wintuk show, and the contestants' charities of choice. Annie picked Brande, Dennis, and Tom to be her helpers, and Joan picked Herschel, Clint (really?), and Melissa. The teams were charged with ''doing silent auctions of THINGS. You're gonna get people to donate THINGS.'' No further explanation on what these THINGS were, other than the fact that the Donald's inflection really emphasized them. (Each team correctly assumed ''THINGS'' meant ''fun celebrity-driven packages for people to bid on.'') They'd be graded on five criteria: the amount of money raised, the Kodak product integration, the charity integration, the celebrities in attendance, and the overall guest experience.

On Team Annie, the personalities didn't seem to mesh well. Brande and Annie worked well together, as was expected. Dennis seemed reluctant to participate at first (though when does he ever seem committed), but soon brought in $20,000 cash courtesy of the Detroit Pistons and the L.A. Lakers. Tom had good intentions, but his laid-back, jokey style served to piss off ''All Work, No Play'' Annie rather than calm her down. As Tom said, ''I don't know if that style, being that acerbic with people, would work that well in the real world necessarily. I think everyone would quit.''

On Team Joan, on the other hand, Clint seemed to have reverted back to his old ways (read: announcing he had no money to raise, chatting with his friends, checking e-mail the whole time, and overall being completely useless). Melissa worked well with her mother (obvs), and she worked hard. Herschel came up with two very savvy business decisions that ended up being integral to Joan's eventual victory. First, he sold all the Cirque du Soleil tickets to a donor so the team could give them away instead of selling them on the street, which allowed them more time to work on the rest of the auction. Second, he suggested they up their celebrity quotient with ''impersonators'' (most of us call them drag queens), which didn't do anything to boost their numbers in the ''celebrities in attendance'' category, but it made for a fun atmosphere.

For the actual auction site, two event planners from the same firm were hired to design the spaces -- one to each team. Annie got along fine with her planner, Nicole, and devised a pretty-sounding design with ice sculptures and soothing colors. Joan's planner, David, however, seemed douchey from the start. Putting aside the fact that he resembled Jason Bateman doing an impression of a designer so I couldn't take him seriously, this guy seemed to be a major tool and was continually shown spouting buzzwords instead of coming up with an actual plan. When he called Joan later on and all she could say was ''blech'' and ''eeuugh'' instead of being happy with his boring-sounding idea for the room, maybe he should've asked Joan to come up with specific things she wanted instead of her vague-sounding ideas. Eventually, Joan told David she wanted to bring in one of her designer friends for him to work with, and he got so offended that he called her back and quit. In all fairness, I don't think Joan treated him badly, but she didn't actually vocalize anything that would've helped him understand exactly what she wanted.

As the owner of a design firm, you'd think David had worked with a couple of clients like that before and he'd know how to pull the information he needed out of them. Instead, he got huffy and quit, and, as the owner of the firm, made Annie's planner quit too. Of course, he did this the really classy way and didn't have her call Annie to explain the problem, instead choosing to ignore her calls, have his assistant push away the cameras when they came to his office to sign some contracts, and only told Annie what was happening in a pow-wow off camera.

Annie, understandably, was pissed, since she had less than 12 hours to pull together an auction space from scratch and it was already after 5:00 on a Friday night. She frantically called everyone she knew to find people who could help her put together a room, and eventually assembled a team of three people who helped her create the ''classy'' space she wanted. Joan decided to call the men of her charity, God's Love We Deliver (''They're wonderful, they're terrific, they're artistic, and they're gay.''), who then enlisted their events team to create a fun, welcoming space.

Aside from the usual last-minute frantic scramble to finish everything, the events seemed to go off without any major issues. A Joan Rivers impersonator (Joan's team) and Dennis Rodman in drag (Annie's team) greeted guests on the red carpet. While Annie was able to attract her famous pokah playah friends (they are loyal and they did pull through for her), famous boxers (including Joe Frazier), and famous (not in the past 15 years, so debatable) ice skater Oksana Baiul, Joan pulled in actual names like Kyle MacLachlan, Kathy Griffin, and various Broadway stars (the cast of Chicago, Tony nominee/American Idol finalist Constantine Maroulis). Joan's charity was very involved behind the scenes assembling the auction space, but Annie's charity, Refugees International, was featured prominently throughout the space. Joan went for an obvious Kodak branding scheme, having guests walk through a gigantic frame to get inside, while Annie went for a more subtle approach, playing Refugees International videos on the Kodak frames.

In the boardroom, Joan freaked out at Annie when she mentioned the event planner quitting was Joan's fault. It might not have been as obvious to Joan, but it was clear from watching the footage that it was because of her, and it was also clear that the design firm blamed their departure from the show on Joan. So when Joan started yelling and attacking Annie for pointing out the truth, I got really mad. It's on camera, people! You can't lie about something that's clearly already captured on film. ''This is an out and out lie, and I will not have it on television. I will not be berated by this character here.'' Whoa Joan, Annie has actually remained SO CALM this entire time. She's not berating you. And she's telling the truth.

Clearly a lot of this show is fixed by the producers (anyone who says otherwise has obviously not watched it). But the fact that Trump didn't let Annie get a single word in edgewise to defend herself both in the boardroom after the final challenge and in the live boardroom last night made it extremely obvious, and it made me really angry. Surely someone told him what happened. Didn't he have enough respect for Annie to let her finish a complete thought before letting Joan jump in? Kudos to Annie for handling it so calmly. I'm not sure if I could've held my tongue when someone was verbally abusing me for telling the truth, and for jumping on every single thing I said without letting me explain myself.

After Joan heaved another insult to Annie's ''white trash pokah playah friends'' (they're now all ''mafia people''), we found out how much money each woman raised for her charity. Joan pulled in $150,830, but that didn't even register next to Annie's $465,725 -- just shy of her half-million dollar goal. Annie also won on the charity integration, but Joan won on celebrity attendance, Kodak integration, and overall experience (Ivanka said Joan's auction was better attended and had a better spirit than Annie's).

Meanwhile, in the live show, we heard from some of the eliminated contestants. Dice bickered playfully with Trump, who was looking a particularly bright shade of oompa loompa (his skin color was practically the same as the wood paneling on the wall behind his head), Scott thanked Trump for firing him early so he didn't have to get involved in all the subsequent drama, Jesse was low-key as usual, Claudia talked about how much fun she had, and Brian said four words (''I had a good time.''). My favorite part of these exchanges was how Trump cut everyone off when they'd used up their allotted 20 second response time: ''That's enough.'' ''I don't want to hear it.''

When pressed for their decision on who to hire/fire, Clint said he wouldn't choose anyone, Jesse'd hire Annie, and Dennis and Scott chose Joan. You couldn't hear it on TV, but at the live show, when Trump asked Scott ''Who would you do?'' the audience started snickering at the poor choice in phrasing. That's why Trump went back and acknowledged his slip. Piers Morgan, last year's winner, and Trace Adkins, last year's runner-up, both chose Joan to win; Piers because Joan met more criteria, and Trace, as he told me on the red carpet later last night, because Joan got incredibly emotional when talking about her charity (that got me too. I totally cried when they showed Joan volunteering and talking about how she got involved with GLWD after a friend died of AIDS). Hearing Piers and Trace talk about the ways their charities have been helped by the show also made me teary, because it reminded me that the charities really do play a huge part on The Celebrity Apprentice. A lot of shows donate money to charity, but the contestants on this one actually seem to be invested in winning for their charity's sake, not for their own egos.

Trump then asked Joan and Annie why they think they should win. Joan gave a really dumb answer about doing business ''in the new way,'' with honor and other good stuff, but Annie gave a smart, well-crafted answer that outlined all her successes in the competition. And yet again, even in the minute Annie had to talk about herself (just like Joan did right before her), Joan interrupted -- and Trump didn't stop her. Then she corrected Annie's grammar (I did too, in my head, but still -- not polite). Ivanka and Don Jr. gave sound bites to the effect of ''Annie played the game better and is smart, but Joan's tenacious and old.''

In the most soul-crushing reality TV fakeout I've ever seen, Donald told Annie all the good things she'd accomplished, then told Joan how great she was, and asked Annie if she knew what he was going to say. Annie said ''No,'' then perked up as he gave the final verdict -- ''Annie, you're fired.'' She gasped and happily clapped for a second before realizing what he had said, and her entire body deflated. From my seat in the balcony, it seemed that Annie remained stoic as Donald told her she lost, but watching it back on TV made me cringe. I'd probably think I had won, too, if I were her -- listing her accomplishments next to Joan's like that made it seem obvious who the stronger competitor was.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was on Team Joan for much of the season, but they way things transpired in the finale completely changed my mind. Annie was consistently respectful, polite, and hard-working. While Joan was charismatic and also worked hard, her determination to win didn't match Annie's enthusiasm. Joan skated by week after week because she was buddies with Donald, and that's what sealed her victory. Joan did an admirable job, but Annie was definitely robbed. The way Joan interrupted, yelled at, and insulted Annie in the finale was unwarranted, and the way she denied being the reason the designer quit really changed my mind about her.

Do you think the right woman got the job? Or were you hoping the shark would conquer the dinosaur? Did you lose respect for Joan because of the way she treated Annie? Or do you think Annie was equally as conniving? How good of a sport was Joan's friend who agreed to help her while in the middle of his mother's funeral? Does Annie really know everyone on earth? Were you relieved when Joan vetoed the creepy ''million talking pictures of Clint Black'' idea? And was it funny when Trump told Joan she was better at being herself than the drag queen impersonator (duh)? I'm pretty sure some of the extra criteria in the finale was added in just to make it less obvious it was a setup when Joan eventually won. Conspiracy theory or truth? Discuss.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/05/celebrity-app-1.html

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »
Celebrity Apprentice Winner Joan Rivers on Annie Duke's Harsh Words

Newly "hired" Joan Rivers gave her competitor Annie Duke a big hug after winning the final face-off on Celebrity Apprentice — but that doesn't mean the two will be friendly any time soon.

"We're not going to be BFFs," Rivers told TVGuide.com about her future interactions with the famous poker player. "It's a shame, because I think she's a brilliant poker player, but she plays life like poker and I don't. I play life like bingo."

During Sunday's gala challenge finale, Rivers won $250,000 for her charity, God's Love We Deliver, beating out her bitter adversary Duke. And let's just say these two contestants haven't been shy about letting the hateful words fly.

"Her harsh words were much harsher than mine," Rivers explained. "[She said], 'I wish you would die' or 'The cancer has left the room.' She also told somebody, 'Now I know why her husband committed suicide.'"

While Rivers compared Duke to Hitler in an earlier episode, the comedienne is not apologizing for her controversial comment. "They both were driven, they both were duplicitous and both did anything to win — so I stand behind that," she said.

She does have one regret though. "I shouldn't have worn such high heels because I look like I was going to fall over!"

Rivers will host a new TV Land series, How'd You Get So Rich? (which premieres Aug. 12 at 10 pm/ET), in which the funny lady will explore the lifestyles of the extremely wealthy.

Newly "hired" Joan Rivers gave her competitor Annie Duke a big hug after winning the final face-off on Celebrity Apprentice — but that doesn't mean the two will be friendly any time soon.

"We're not going to be BFFs," Rivers told TVGuide.com about her future interactions with the famous poker player. "It's a shame, because I think she's a brilliant poker player, but she plays life like poker and I don't. I play life like bingo."

During Sunday's gala challenge finale, Rivers won $250,000 for her charity, God's Love We Deliver, beating out her bitter adversary Duke. And let's just say these two contestants haven't been shy about letting the hateful words fly.

"Her harsh words were much harsher than mine," Rivers explained. "[She said], 'I wish you would die' or 'The cancer has left the room.' She also told somebody, 'Now I know why her husband committed suicide.'"

While Rivers compared Duke to Hitler in an earlier episode, the comedienne is not apologizing for her controversial comment. "They both were driven, they both were duplicitous and both did anything to win — so I stand behind that," she said.

She does have one regret though. "I shouldn't have worn such high heels because I look like I was going to fall over!"

Rivers will host a new TV Land series, How'd You Get So Rich? (which premieres Aug. 12 at 10 pm/ET), in which the funnylady will explore the lifestyles of the extremely wealthy.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
What do you do if you are the decision-maker on a hit TV show and you have to stage a competition to decide who wins a multi-month process? And you want one of the contestants, a long-time favorite of yours, to win. If it's Celebrity Apprentice 2, then you define the criteria for winning in a way that leaves huge latitude for that decision. Also, you stack the deck on which celebrities are available as helpers. You make it almost certain that the no-good Tom Green gets on the team of the individual you want to lose. It's that simple for Donald Trump to rig it in Joan Rivers' favor. I don't know if he did (as suggested on this thread) have to guarantee her victory to get her into CA2.  He certainly did throughout CA2 sing the praises of Joan far beyond anything she earned as she did well but not really well. He made it clear through what he said that it would be nearly impossible to beat her. He, with the assistance of apparently Donald Jr. and Ivanka in grading 3 of the 5 criteria, gave the majority of them to Joan so that she could be declared the winner with a straight face.

OK, so here are the 5 criteria for the silent auction event:
1. Fund-Raising results 
2. Charity Integration at the event
3. Decor at the event
4. Use of Celebrities/Overall Event Impression
5. Integration of the Kodak Theme

So my question is whether decor substitutes for hundreds of thousands of dollars of fund-raising? Or put another way, is it rational to weight all those criteria equally? By doing so Trump gets maximum flexibility.  Annie Duke will certainly win Fund-Raising Results. Who will win the other categories?

The team leaders of Annie and Joan are given a choice of 6 helpers. You would normally see the 6 most recent eliminees in this, but for unstated reasons Jesse and Tionne were dropped and Dennis and Tom Green substituted. Dennis needed the PR of doing well, so he was motivated but Tom displayed all of the non-endearing qualties that got him fired early in CA2. The selection process would be 3 alternating picks each. This was biased because Melissa Rivers was in the mix but Annie would never pick her so Joan could pick her last and Annie would be forced to take whoever else was left (Tom Green). Annie won the toss and picked Brande, no surprise but if she was using the logic explained by Melissa then it should have been Herschel because Joan would be unlikely to have picked Brande. Joan got to pick Herschel. Annie picked Dennis, I don't know why because of what will happen in the final auditorium scenes. Joan picks Clint. Annie picks Tom Green, who she knows little about but he's not Melissa so she really has little choice. An Joan executes her strategy perfectly by having Melissa left to pick. So, Annie should have gotten an edge but I think she's at a disadvantage due to the non-cooperative nature of Tom Green. However, Clint Black appeared to be pretty useless and was caught by Joan doing his Email when we could have been working, so he was not any better.

The first task is to sell out 60 tickets to Cirque de Soleil's Wintuk performance the following evening (which was after the actual auction). Melissa and Herschel ahd a double-decker tour bus at their disposal. However, Herschel had a donor buy all 60 tickets and had him give them away for free. That finished the task very quickly, but presunmably took $6000 away from being used at the Auction. Dennis and Tom are assigned to sell those tickets and they have their own bus. They do so, but do not return until late that evening and they play out a little skit that they did not sell many of the tickets. Of course they really had and were just pulling a prank on Annie for humor. Dennis had before that been working the phones and raises $20,000 of seed money for bidding on auction items from players on the Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers, two of the NBA teams he played for.

The next decision is to meet with the event planners, both from the same company, that was provided by Trump. There is always a twist in every Apprentice or Celebrity Apprentice finale, a test by Trump of one's ability to use all your talents to get out of a big hole. He created that hole this time by having those event planners screw up and withdraw due to the bad relationship between Joan Rivers and the company's owner who was her event planner. This happened at 5pm on a Friday with the event 24 hours ahead. Who can you get on a Fridya night in New York City? Both Annie and Joan begged their colleagues and friends for help and both got a lot of help. I think Joan probably got more because her charity happens to be located in New York City and the Executive Director of God's Love We Deliver called in the entire board of directors of that organization to help. Annie's Refugees International is based in Washington DC so given the 4 hour drive she does not even ask them to try to help.

Annie is constantly on the phone when she is not directing people and managing all details of the event. Annie asks a lot of her poker colleagues to attend checkbook in hand. Many do. Annie's team lines up a few celebrities, but as Brande says most of their contacts are on the West Coast and flying in is nearly infeasible. Joe Frazier, a current middlewight boxing champ, and Oksana Baiul the Olympic Champion skater were there for her. Joan calls on Kathy Griffin, Kyle McLachlan and a number of minor Broadway luminaries. If I were the decider I would have called the Celebrity part even, but the number of minor stars for Joan was more impressive.

The actual event went off pretty much as planned. There was feverish bidding on some items and little on others, just like silent auctions really go. 3 performers from Cirque de Soleil came in to entertain. Joan uses female impersonators for a number of celebrities. Dennis went in drag with a huge blue hat to take pictures with Brande and attendees.  Both sides appeared to me to do a good job of bringing in money and giving the attendees something extra for it. When the auction is over both teams get on one of the buses to go to the Wintuk performance that evening.

I expect that the boardroom was later than evening. Trump brought out the conflicts between Joan and Annie and allowed them to bludgeon the other. I have to question his judgment here and also throughout Celebriaty Apprentice 2. Annie says it succinctly later that classy leadership would never have allowed the personal attacks that Joan frequently waged againts Annie. Annie was right on this. However, it is obvious that Donald Trump wanted a blood feud even better than the one between Piers Morgan and Trace Atkins in CA1 and he wanted to used the "bread and circuses" approach from ancient Rome.

Trump finally cut off the attacks and asked Donald and Ivanka to report. Ivanka say Joan's team raised $150 thousand for God's Love We Deliver. Donald says Annie's team raised $465 thousand for Refugees International. He also says that she won the Charity Integration category by having done a better job of displaying her charity at the event. Ivanka now says that on the other 3 categories, each was awarded to Joan. Kodak's Chief Marketing Officer and VP of the Graphic Communications Group Jeff Hayzlett had attended the auction, observed how Kodak was displayed, and chose Joan as the winner of that category. Presumbaly Donald, Donald Jr. and Ivanka were all involved in the decisions in the final 2 categories. They awarded use of celebrities/overall impression to Joan (I though this was about even). They awarded decor to Joan (I thought this was fair, as she was able to mobilize more help on it). So if you are counting that's Joan 3 Annie 2 on the Trump scorecard even though Annie's team raised more than 3 times the money that Joan's team did.

Now it's time for the public appearances of celebrities on CA2. We get Jesse, Scott, Claudia, Brian, and Andrew Dice Clay. Each had to talk fast as Trump cut them off quickly. Then he brings out the helpers and talks to them. He asks Dennis about his redemption and Dennis appreciates this opportunity to be seen on TV as a decent hard-working person and not the total jerk he was portrayed as earlier in CA2. Trump asks him who he favors and Dennis says that it's somebody he has known for a long time, Joan. He might have given a soundbite of time to each of the other helpers. I think the presentations of each of the charities came next. They were moving.

Trump now introduces the finalists from CA1, Trace Atkins and Piers Morgan. He asks them who they favor (which is his way of preparing the home audience for the outcome). Trace says he was impressed by Joan's commitment to her charity. Piers says Joan won 2-3, end of story. Trump now gives both Annie and Joan the opportunity to speak on their own behalf and as usual you get fireworks from Joan. Seeing how this is likely to play out, Annie takes the opportunity to chide Trump for his non-leadership behavior in letting the boardrooms degenerate in Joan's personal attacks on her. I agree with her. it was churlish to not put an end ot those attacks. Nothing is certain to shut Joan Rivers up but Trump making an effort might have succeeded.

It is time for the decision which was foreshadowed by Piers Morgan. Joan wins. End of season. Come back for Celebrity Apprentice 3.