Author Topic: Celebrity Apprentice 2  (Read 79361 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Celebrity Apprentice 2
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
I agree with most of what you all have said.  I liked Clint until the Apr 5 show.  Not only am I disgusted  :knuckles: with his assinine idea for the video, but that he totally refused to listen to, respect, & work w/ his team to get their ideas.  The Donald should have fired HIM, not Khloe. 

Clint should stick with his singing.  However, I won't be listening to him anymore. He lost at least one fan...
What a jerk. (:;)

Rudy!!!!   :luvya:  Clint really is a little man isn't he! Yes, he should have been fired. His time was up!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline renatalou

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »
Aghh! i am so upset i missed this weeks episode...does anyone know what time and when it repeats again?

thanks!!

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2009, 08:03:14 AM »
'Celebrity Apprentice' recap: Bring on the drama

There's a very good reason this week's episode of The Celebrity Apprentice had the teams compete in one and a half tasks: The first one just wasn't all that interesting. No matter how talented the editors, even they couldn't squeeze two hours out of it.

We picked up after last week's boardroom, when everyone found out who got axed and who stayed. Joan summed up what I'd like to believe were everyone's feelings after the viral video challenge: ''Clint is a jackass.'' Melissa called out The Donald's unfounded firing of Khloe: ''You don't punish someone for trying to change.'' And Annie summed up what I'd like to believe were everyone's feelings about the viral video challenge: ''Your video did suck, Clint, by the way.''

As for the first task, identity theft = serious problem. Identity theft prevention service = probably very useful. Selling the identity theft prevention service on reality TV = not terribly exciting. It was your typical Apprentice-type challenge -- come up with marketing concept, create a display, present it to company execs. You know, the usual. As much as the editors tried (Jesse James vomits eight times from a stomach virus! KOTU's graphic sticker is too small! Annie takes over, even though she's not in charge!), this week's ''drama'' didn't hold a candle to last week's head-butting. And the boardroom was equally as tame -- it was pretty clear Brian had mentally checked out on the game, so when he conceded defeat and admitted he didn't care if he stayed or not, Trump gave him the ol' heave-ho.

The new challenge proved to be much more interesting (and ripe for drama). The remaining contestants were to plan and host an auction of pieces from Ivanka Trump's jewelry line. Sooooo many things could go wrong: choosing the pieces (understated or showy?), choosing the models (should the guys or gals pick 'em?), shopping for clothes (fancy gowns or daywear?), raising the money (bug your friends, or wait until their money will go to your charity?). Annie finally stepped up as project manager, so we'll get to see if she can put her money where her mouth is (apparently the lady has heaps of rich friends). Unfortunately, we won't get to see it until next week.

What did you think of last night's episode? Did the best team win? Did the right person go home? Were you as pleased as I was that Joan called out Trump on the Khloe incident? Was Annie too domineering in the first task? Were you amused or annoyed by Melissa's whine-fest about Brande and Annie's newfound friendship (and ''two-facedness'')? Oh, and the special mystery guest they hinted at? Piers Morgan, last year's winner. Can we say ''letdown''? Finally, are you excited to see how the auctions play out next week?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/celebrity-app-1.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:06:41 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Aghh! i am so upset i missed this weeks episode...does anyone know what time and when it repeats again?

thanks!!

Welcome to RFF renatalou! We'll help you catch up!!  :tup:

You can watch online here: http://www.nbc.com/the-celebrity-apprentice/video/episodes/?vid=1084907

I thought MSNBC replayed the episodes as well but I'm not finding it but I bet someone will know.

:bigwelcome

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
Just as soon as I say Clint is a little man then he shows that he does have business sense after all.  I'm shocked!

What was more shocking to me was the behavior of Joan and her daughter. Did anyone else find it as off-putting as I did? Breaking a wine glass because she's upset over Annie? Not cool Joan. Really not cool! (Or was it for the mere drama à la Omarosa?)

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
CELEBRITY APPRENTICE
Poker Face

This season of Donald Trump’s CELEBRITY APPRENTICE on NBC is filled with surprises and new twists on his old format. Last week he took the liberty of firing two contestants instead of the standard one and this week he surprises the final 8 Apprentice cast members after the Boardroom firing
with a secondary task. Being that neither Project Manager from last week won any money for their charity the show began straight away with their new task.

Team KOTU consists of PM Natalie Gulbis, Joan, Clint & Herschel. Team ATHENA is lead by the returning Brian McKnight and his team mates are Annie, Jesse, Brande and Melissa. The task is to create a retail display for LifeLock, a company that provides protection from identity theft. CEO and spokesperson for the company, Todd Davis and his associate meet with both teams and give them the guidelines for the project.

Natalie (KOTU) does a good job of assigning tasks and allows for an open brain storming session. Natalie is a bit naïve in some areas and welcomes Joan’s experience in merchandising. Herschel and Clint get to work on the art work and display and as they near their deadline Joan suggestions they use a comic approach utilizing each of their celebrity images to enhance their already incredible packaging and store displays. Natalie personally goes to Brooklyn with Herschel to secure that their art work is correctly formatted.

Team ATHENA struggled from the beginning as Brian tries to get his head back in the game after missing an entire week due to a concert obligation he had. His management style is laid back and having Annie on his team it made it easy for her to step in as the Alpha female and take over. Jesse (who became quite ill during filming) was joined by Brande to put together the actual display and art work. While they were at JCDP where their creation was being made, Brande embarrassed herself acting like one of Hugh Heffner’s girls next door flirting and coyly strolling around the warehouse. Back at the office Annie was in a panic because Brian was doing a poor job of time management; so much so that in the end their displays lacked much thought and creativity due to is neglect.

Joan is assigned the job of presenting to the CEO of LifeLock and does a good job of brand messaging and remains serious about the task at hand. Team KOTU is delighted with her presentation. Brian finally actually does something for his team as presenter. He strokes the ego of Todd Davis and makes everyone feel very good about their display. The executives meet and both teams are called into the Boardroom.

Donald probes around looking to see if he can stir up some trouble but Joan and Clint have kissed and made up and team ATHENA appears mutually supportive, although somewhat poker faced. The decision was made and KOTU wins the task and allows Natalie to give $20,000.00 to her charity, THE BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF AMERICA. As team KOTU returns to their suite Joan shares that the previous evening Annie Duke told her that she planned to sell out Brande because she did not feel Brande brought much to the team. As they watch what transpires in the Boardroom Joan goes ballistic as Annie is utterly two-faced doing just the opposite….remaining neutral about Brande and working to push Melissa & Brian under the bus. Joan threatens to quit the show if Melissa is fired and she calls Annie a snake, over and over. A half hearted Brian McKnight all but begs Trump to fire him and since Donald can sense the lack of interest in Brian he dies just that. When the two women return to the suite, it’s on! Joan viciously calls out Annie who keeps a completely composed demeanor.

Suddenly there is another new twist and the confrontation is halted….The Donald wants everyone back to the Boardroom pronto. When the exhausted teams arrive, their boss tells them that they are to begin their new task immediately and the battling Project Managers will be Joan Rivers VS Annie Duke. They will be preparing a fashion show/auction to showcase Ivanka Trump’s new jewelry line and the team who makes the most money wins. Both teams are off and running immediately.

The beginning of Celebrity Apprentice next week will likely recap the posturing that goes on among the teams and I’ll get to that next time. But what I will say is that Natalie shows that she is indeed a competitor coming up with a strategy that may help Joan exact her revenge on the two-faced, snake with a poker face, Annie Duke.

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3469%3Acelebrity-apprentice-poker-face&catid=74%3Acelebrityapprentice&Itemid=1

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
I know that you did not ask my opinion about Annie, Joan and Melissa, Reality FreakWill, but you are going to receive it anyway. I think the behavior of both Joan and Melissa Rivers is atrocious. Joan behaved like a person overly mad with rage for someone whose competence could threaten her daughter's preeminence in this competition. Melissa behaved like a sore loser. They both should get a serious spanking for bad behavior because they are acting like 2 year olds.

Now, Annie behaved with much more task orientation and the appearance of "cool" behavior. However, she deserves low marks for ducking the $20,000 opportunity as Project Manager so that she can save contacts for the really big Project Manager opportunity associated with the auction. She showed little class in doing so. So did Jesse in this episode. He did not want to waste his high-roller contacts for Brian's benefit when he could save them for himself. In episode 1 of Celebrity Apprentice 1, I recall Trump firing Tiffany Fallon, who could have gotten a contribution from Hugh Hefner but chose to save it for later.

I think that behavior like that from Jesse, if Trump found out about it, would cause him to be fired. That certainly makes much more sense than the firings of either Tionne or Khloe.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:37:47 AM by apskip »

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
I agree Melissa and Joan were terrible.  Melissa being so upset that Annie was playing nice with the other lady.  And Joan having a fit because someone said something bad about her daughter.  And her reaction with her team mates I think showed them where they stand.  You knew they had each other's back but that proved it.

I think Jesse is going to be in trouble.  He is a good worker and smart, but the not wanting to bring in his donors it not a good sign.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
Reality Freak Will's recap above does a good job on the task specifics. My recap of the latest episode of 9 Contestants Left focuses more on  the interaction of personalities:

This was somewhat easier to watch than last week's travesty of justice by Trump's choice of who to fire and who to not fire (are you listening, Clint and Melissa?). Joan says that she is still really angry at Clint, but then later in the episode she goes out of her way to hide that and work with him amicably. Talk about two-faced. Joan also goes into tirades against Annie, who she says is two-faced because she is working with her teammate Brande rather than against her as she had prviately told Melissa she would. Melissa is also incensed about Annie, which I regard as natural since Annie is her biggest competitor. Both Joan and Melissa should put their energy into their work rather than running off at the mouth. It's time for at both of them to go home, but that won't happen because their unrestrained mouthing off, unpopular with me, appears to be popular with the producers.

The episode introduces the Company of the Week, Lifelock.   Don't quote me on this but I heard that NBC was asking $2 million for a company to be the focus of an episode. Several reportedly paid over $1 million. I think Lifelock is one of the few that got sufficient exposure to warrant that amount of money. Its CEO Todd Davis comes with Andrew to tout his company and provide information to Athena and KOTU. One of the key issues is whether Todd, who has historically been showcased in company advertising (his name and social security number up on billboards just daring crooks to try to misuse it), should continue to be. Teams had to craft a concept, specific messages, and some actual advertising copy in the boardroom presentation format. Natalie and Brian were Project Managers, although why Athena did that when neither Jesse nor Annie has been one I can't figure out. Ivanka states in the boardroom that Annie needs to step up and be Project Manager.

Teams struggled to do this. KOTU after much soul-searching decided to feature its team members with brilliant copy apparently written by Clint in the ad. They had to oversee the actual production of the display board. I thought their ad was witty and this team was well managed by Natalie. Joan and Herschel both made contributions. Herschel is pissed at Clint for his style in the handling of the team cell phone. It may be OK to have Joan against you, but Joan and Herschel both? That's not OK.

Athena was supposed to be led by Brian, but he was inept at thinking of timelines and what had to be completed when, so his team seriously underperformed. Annie appeared to be the actual Project Manager and she did as good a job of sherpherding critical tasks just in advance of the deadlines as was possible in the difficult circumstances.

Ivanka shows up fairly early in the KOTU work and her observation was that Natalie had to keep the peace between Joan and Clint. Well Joan's self-restraint accomplished what probably nobody other than Donald Trump could have. She did force herself, however distateful, to get along with Clint.

George visited Athena late in their work. He concludes that there is little progress and this team is in trouble. Later in the boardroom, George calls Brian's management style "laid back". That is the kiss of death with Donald Trump, who clearly rewards a hands-on active management style.

The presentation happens. KOTU is praised for their packaging design and advertising and for a good presentation of it.  Athena get low marks for its packaging and OK advertising, but Brian gives an excellent presentation. The judging emphasizes package design and advertising, so KOTU wins. Natalie gets $20,000 for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. It is time for Athena to be judged. Brian brings in Melissa and Brande, but both of them had made real contributions to the team. It was obvious in that choice that he was setting up himself to be fired. Trump asked if he had lost his commitment to the competition. Brian admitted that it was weak right now. For many reasons (all of them right) Trump tells Brian he looks tired and fires Brian.

So, is this the end of the episode? It wasn't past 1020pm by this time so something has to occupy the next 40 minutes of NBC air time. Trump calls the teams back to the boardroom and congratulates them on reaching the Final 8. Then he introduces the next challenge. It is to have a big auction focused around the introduction of Ivanka's new line of jewelry at the Fashion Insitute of Technology. The Project Mangers are Annie (who was happy to be competing for a big prize that is sure to be close to or more than $200,000) and Joan. It's mano a mano to the figurative death for big bucks!

There are decisions to be made on models, jewelry, clothes and acessories for the live displays and all of those are for sale at the auction except the models. The other decisions are which friends or colleagues to contact to come to the auction and bid those big bucks. Annie has claim on many high rollers. Joan wastes her time trying to find out who a big poker celebrity she can get to "trump" Annie. Joan, who cares except for the amount of money someone can bring? Fuhgettaboutit. Herschel says he can bring $45,000 and Clint says he can do $25,000. Athena members are warned by Annie that she will be taking them to the boardroom if by chance they should lose based on how little they raised for the cause.

The final segment Sunday night was the arrival of a mystery guest in Trump's office. Trump tells him to act as his agent in overseeing the auction, although it sounds that the role will be bigger than the usual "Eyes and Ears". It's obvious that Ivanka cannot have her normal role as her time will be spent being highlighted(EDITOR'S note: It looks like I was wong on this and Ivanka will still be one of the Eyes and Ears and Piers the other).  He is to watch out for Joan and Clint, who hate each other, Melissa who is obnoxioius, and Jesse who is attempting to continue udner-the-radar. This guest is none other than Piers Morgan, the original Celebrity Apprentice, who reminds the audience that he is only one. His expertise in running huge fundraising auctions is clear, so he is a good chocie for this special role.

So that's where things stood as clock ticked 11pm. Come back next week for the next edition.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:16:57 PM by apskip »

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
Joan Rivers' blog:

Episode Seven: Lock it up and Throw Away the Key! (Part 1)

It’s the seventh week and seven people have been fired. I can’t believe how exhausting this whole thing is. I thought of Celebrity Apprentice as a game at first, but I realize I was totally wrong. It’s a competition! And what a competition it is! We are up every day at 5:30 in the morning, in the makeup chair by six and ready to rock and roll with our teams from eight until midnight, six days a week.

Our task this time was to come up with a marketing campaign for a company called LifeLock, which protects its clients against identity theft. The CEO of LifeLock, Todd Davis, is so confident in his company’s ability to protect against identity theft that he puts his actual social security number on billboards and trucks for all to see.  I figure either his company truly does what it says, or else he has nothing of any value that anybody would want to steal.

Identity theft is a very real problem, I found out. People’s credit can be ruined because of it, and it takes years to get your good name back. Before I heard about LifeLock, I was protecting my identity the only way I knew how…by going to the plastic surgeon every six months to have something changed. I figured, if a thief couldn’t recognize me, how could he steal my identity?

Our team, which consisted of Herschel, Clint, and Natalie, with Natalie as our project manager, tried to learn all we could about LifeLock in a short amount of time. We hunkered down to design some great marketing paraphernalia for them. I’ll admit, we came up with some obvious and very dull packaging.

Episode Seven: Lock it up and Throw Away the Key! (Part 2)

We made a safe out of paper and inside it we “locked away” our valuables. We also designed magnets, key chains and other little gifties to let “customers” know about the company.

Being a writer, I immediately went to work on the brochure and described how LifeLock has a seven-tiered process to keep its clients safe from identity theft.  I did the best I could but I didn’t feel very turned on by the subject. It was all a bit too butch for me—and I miss Melissa and Khloe a lot.

When we hit the board room, I was shocked to learn that we won the challenge! I thought that with Jesse and Brian, the other team’s materials would look fabulous and there would be a slick theme song to accompany their presentation, but that was not the case. Brian, the other team’s project manager, was fired.  This made me sad as I had never gotten to work with him, and Melissa said he’s the sweetest, most decent man.

It’s getting smaller and meaner and it pains me to watch how Annie, who did nothing but badmouth Brandeeee before—how stupid and worthless she is, etc, etc…—now allying herself with her. At first I couldn’t figure out Annie’s motive, but I can now see she’s trying to get rid of her real competition. If just Annie and Brandeeee are left in the end, there will be no question as to which one will win.

Smart! Conniving, but SMART game playing.

http://www.joanriversblog.com/blog/

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
THINGS HEAT UP IN THE KITCHEN AND THE BOARDROOM -- AND TWO CELEBRITIES ARE FIRED FROM THE EIGHT REMAINING ON NBC'S 'THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE' SUNDAY, APRIL 19 (9-11 P.M. ET) ON NBC

Two more celebrities are sent packing after teams Athena and Kotu go head-to-head in tasks that have them auctioning pieces from the Ivanka Trump jewelry line and creating a new meal for Schwan's LiveSmart frozen foods. Piers Morgan, British tabloid editor, "America's Got Talent" judge, and the first "Celebrity Apprentice," returns and is tasked by Mr. Trump with keeping an eye on the escalating feud between Melissa Rivers and Annie Duke this Sunday, April 19 (9-11 p.m. ET) on NBC.

In this episode, rival project managers Joan Rivers and Annie Duke face off as they lead their teams in the task of auctioning pieces from the Ivanka Trump jewelry line to their donors. At auction time, each team chooses a very different strategy, but in the end it all comes down to who raised the most money. In the boardroom, Piers Morgan aggravates an already heated Joan Rivers, whose disgust with the way Annie Duke treated her daughter, Melissa, is obvious, and the conflict between Annie and Rivers, according to Piers, "Makes Omarosa and I look like a tea party!" At the end of the boardroom, Ivanka and Piers reveal each team's grand totals to Mr. Trump, and another celebrity is sent home.

For the next task, each team must create a new meal for Schwan's LiveSmart frozen food line. In their test kitchen, team Athena waivers between three different meals, and butts heads when it comes time to choose one to present to the Schwan's executives. Team Kotu relies on a traditional dish to present to the executives, but a leadership conflict erupts at the last minute that threatens to jeopardize a much-needed win. After the presentation of the meals to the Schwan's executives, Mr. Trump reconvenes with the teams in the boardroom and sends another celebrity packing.

www.nbc.com

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Duke puts 'em up on Celebrity Apprentice

Annie Duke is well-known in poker circles as one of the top women in the game, but she's reaching a whole new audience now as one of the boardroom battlers on NBC's Celebrity Apprentice.

And so far, Duke hasn't been in any danger of Donald Trump having to say "You're fired."

The season is six episodes in and Duke has managed to make a big impression while helping her team win four out of the six challenges.

According to Duke, this isn't by accident.

She understood going in that the hierarchy of the teams were going to be determined by fame, and since she wasn't the most recognizable star in the group, Duke took her game plan straight from the pages of poker strategy.

"It's like all poker strategy," she said. "It's a game, and similar to poker, it's all about the choices you make in that game."

Knowing exactly what they would get from Duke, the show's producers were not surprised.

"Annie was an easy choice since not only is she a star in the poker world, we knew her brilliant gamesmanship would translate well to the boardroom," Executive Producer Eden Gaha told PokerListings.

"In some ways that boardroom table is like one big poker table and Annie is very much at home there."

So far, Duke said her most important choice has been between causing conflict on her team or not.

"It wasn't about choosing to cause conflict just because, but if a project is going badly, you have the choice to step in and do something about it or not to," she said.

During the first couple challenges, Duke said she did make the choice to step in when it was beneficial to the task.

"I pissed some people off, but I righted the ship," she said.

Once she had attracted some attention, Duke said her strategy was to lay low for a bit.

"Just like in poker, it's important to change gears, go against image," she said.

Duke said she had another poker strategy in mind as well.

"At this point I knew my team really well, and I didn't want to get shuffled around," Duke said.

"It was similar to being in a poker game and finally getting to know your opponents at the table. The last thing you want to do at that point is move to a new table full of new opponents."

Part of Duke's strategy was also talking the time to size her opponents up, rather than jump right into being a project manager.

"I'm very much one of the big personalities on the team," she said. "But you'll notice I haven't been project manager yet."

Just like in a poker game, Duke said you want to avoid making big decisions early and wait until you know your opponents.

"It's important to learn what they're good at in order to maximize your chance of winning the task," she said.

Once someone is project manager, however, the challenge is not to get fired.

Duke said you need to know who really did fail at their assigned task and should be held accountable in the boardroom.

"You really have to pay attention to Donald Trump in the boardroom," she added. "He makes it pretty obvious who he thinks a project manager should bring into the boardroom with them."

For some of the team members, Duke noticed it can be hard to separate personal feelings from the game.

"I learned that poker players really do an amazing thing," Duke said. "We're in a game and we take for granted that everybody is playing the game as well. We don't let what happens in the game become personal, and we don't let personal feelings affect how we play the game."

Her brother, Howard Lederer, can knock her out of a tournament or win a big pot off her, and Duke said they'll still be able to go to dinner later that day.

Duke said she was surprised that people weren't making the separation. A fact she's finding out more about as the show airs and she gets to see the personal interviews that were not shown during filming.

"It's a game, but it's also a business game," Duke said. "You have to maintain some sort of professionalism to succeed."

It is also a game where it pays to have good, reliable friends to count on in the fundraising challenges and Duke found she has that in spades.

"To a man, my friends came through for me," Duke said. "It was an incredible gift for me to know that I can count on my friends in the poker community."

Duke said that is just one reason Celebrity Apprentice is helping show poker players in a different light.

"Poker players aren't the selfish people they're often thought to be," she said. "They're awesome, generous people, and it was amazing for me to get to showcase that on a national platform."

Celebrity Apprentice airs on NBC Sundays at 9 p.m.

Duke's progress can also be followed on her new website at AnnieDuke.com.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/annie-puts-up-her-dukes-on-celebrity-apprentice-38830

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Two fired in this upcoming episode. ??? Are they packaging the tasks to hurry the season up?

I wonder, will Joan be fired for this latest task? I recall that apskip has predicted her demise sooner than later and I think he will be proven to be correct.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »
I'm not going to spoil tonight's show because it hasn't aired on the West Coast but I found the first part sort of tawdry!  :(

Update: Double Shocker tonight.

Natalie Gulbis in the first challenge which was auctioning Ivanka's jewelry for charity and Herschel Walker in the Schwan challenge, creating a new product for healthy living.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:05:21 AM by TexasLady »

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
Celebrity Apprentice: Double Header

This week on Donald Trump’s CELEBRITY APPRENTICE the viewing audience enjoyed an episode much like last week in that there were two separate tasks that were included in one show.  We ended last week with both teams being assigned the task of featuring Ivanka’s new line of jewelry at an auction that they would create and run.

Team KOTU was led by PM Joan Rivers for this task and her team consisted of Clint, Natalie and Herschel.  She quickly assigned Natalie to make the jewelry selections thinking that since she was close to Ivanka’s age she would make selections that would follow the current trends and sell well.  Herschel was assigned to raise funds, which he did quite well by making calls to some of his wealthier friends. Clint made a few calls for cash and Natalie had the big idea to drum up funds from fellow poker playing foes of Annie’s after her golf buddies disappointed her by refusing to donate.  Joan took care of organization of the event as well as making the wardrobe selections and the jewelry models.  This left Clint to act as auctioneer.

Team ATHENA was led by the self proclaimed uber-woman, Annie Duke.  Annie, who at one time had bad mouthed the former “model” Brande Roderick turned on her best other face embracing Brande and assigning her to the task of model and wardrobe selections.  Brande of course took the opportunity to select herself as one of the models as well as spending nearly ALL her time choosing her own outfit.  Melissa was basically dismissed by Annie and was sent to make the jewelry selections, which she did with ease.  Jesse was assigned to taking care of the marketing/printing needs.  Annie quickly made calls to some of the big names in the poker world asking for donations at the auction and requested that her other team members do their best at raising funds because this event was all about making money….any way they could.  When she finds out about Natalie’s attempt at getting to her foes she blows a fuse.  She lets her team mates know up front that the team member that brings in the least amount of money will be brought back into the Boardroom if they lose.

ATHENA’s auction was presented by Annie Duke and this woman knows how to stroke egos like no other.  Weather it was kissing the ass of a wealthy musician friend or shaming some rich guy that wanted to be on TV, this woman extracted donations from her friends over and over, selling all five pieces of Ivanka’s jewelry line at top prices.

KOTU’s strategy for the auction was to pool all of their known donations (mainly from Herschel’s black book) and use them to bid on the least expensive piece of jewelry, allowing them to make the highest possible profit.  Although in the end this was a good idea it did not play well at the auction.  Clint couldn’t drum up a cent as auctioneer for the first piece of jewelry.  Finally Joan Rivers takes over after bringing out their single piece which was bided on with all the money they had collected.  The rest of the line has very slow responses which visibly annoyed Ivanka who was in the audience.

In the Boardroom the jewelry choices made by Melissa along with the showmanship of Annie as auctioneer allowed ATHENA to walk away with the win of a record breaking $153,000.00. This amount, along with what Team KOTU generated ($92,000.00) went to Annie Duke’s charity, REFUGEES INTERNATIONAL.   Donald dumps Natalie for her poor choices in the jewelry selections and Princess Ivanka gripes about not having her new line presented to her liking by KOTU. The real story in the Boardroom was the cat fight that went on between Joan Rivers and Annie Duke.  Joan calling Annie out on her two faced, back stabbing behavior.  Throughout the show Annie’s behavior in the Boardroom is quite different than outside and away from The Donald.  Their mutual dislike for each other is sealed in concrete it seems.

Now…after ALL that…a second task is assigned (2 long hours!!!).  Donald and the CEO of Schwans Foods tell the teams that they are to create an original frozen dish that is in line with Schwan’s current line called Live Smart.  They are to have a marketing campaign as well.  KOTU has Herschel take PM spot as he owns restaurants and needs to keep Joan and Clint from power tripping each other.  Team ATHENA finally makes Jesse James step up for the first time as PM.  His job was to keep the three women on his team from inter-fighting.  He immediately splits up Annie and Melissa.

KOTO chef and PM, Herschel determines that chicken is likely the most popular thing to make and he adds his own green beans and sweet potato recipes to make it complete.  Clint provides a recipe from home for the cooking of the chicken and Joan adds a little OJ to their Asian Ginger/Orange Chicken dish.  This 480 calorie dish with a small fruit & yogurt dessert is presented by Joan and well received by the CEO.  Clint adds his marketing plan of a TV spot of the prepared food being delivered to him on his tour bus.

ATHENA is pushed into Annie Duke’s Turkey Meatball & glutten free pasta dish.  Jesse is peer pressured to make the selection and he alone, and I do mean alone does all the marketing.  In his case it was basically a well written and nicely presented speech and a poster, an exceptionally weak campaign.

In the Boardroom Donald tells them it came down to the taste and the innovative idea of glutten free pasta and the vegetable infused turkey meatballs that won the Schwan executives over and Jesse will be receiving $20,000.00 for his charity as winning PM of team ATHENA.
 Herschel and Clint duke it out for a short time until Donald steps in and tells the PM that his decisions are what cost their team the win and says…… “Herschel Walker….You’re Fired”!  To the relief of the viewers the show is finally over and hopefully the producers will keep it down to one task per week for the remainder of the season!

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3493:celebrity-apprentice-double-header&catid=74:celebrityapprentice&Itemid=67

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Joan's blog posted on 4/16

More on Last Week's Episode: No Rest for the Weary! (Part 1)

Can you even believe what happened last week on Celebrity Apprentice? As if it wasn’t enough that we had to sit through the rollercoaster ride of emotions while watching Annie stab Melissa in the back  and then tell Brandeeeee how she loved her after telling me just the opposite, both teams had to go right into our next task as soon as the LifeLock challenge was over!

Very few things upset me as much as people who are duplicitous, and so to watch Annie lie, cheat and speak out of both sides of her mouth got me crazy. I think all this two-faced behavior shows that Annie is truly worried that Melissa is competition and Brandeeeee poses no threats. She plays this game like it’s poker.

Even though I, like everyone, was exhausted and sleep-deprived, I took over as the project manager (for the second time) to organize a charity fashion-show fundraiser to sell Ivanka Trump’s jewelry.  If there’s one thing I adore and know a lot about after 20 years, it’s designing and selling (and wearing!) fabulous jewelry on QVC.

First, I sent Natalie out to select the pieces of jewelry that we were going to auction off. I chose Natalie to do this as she is a woman with an eye for classic looks. What she forgot was that the task was to auction the jewelry from the runway and so she should have picked big, showy pieces the way Melissa did for her team.

More on Last Week's Episode: No Rest for the Weary! (Part 2)

The auction was all about making money, and as we’ve seen, Annie is no slouch when it comes to raising a lot of cash. Herschel and Clint started working the phones to hit up their biggest donors. Natalie and I did the same, but the biggest tragedy is that I can’t find a rich man in New York who’ll take me out to dinner, let alone give me $25,000 for a bangle bracelet. It kills me that Annie dials four phone numbers and immediately has ten men with big, fat pinky rings pounding on her door to hand over the big bucks. So, if we lose, it will be not for lack of working hard but just a lack of cash.

The most fun was picking the models and pairing them with the jewelry. Fifty years ago, right after college, I started as a window dresser/fashion coordinator for the department store Lord and Taylor, so dressing these gorgeous, young, chic women and bedecking them in real jewelry was like riding a bicycle.

Since things have gotten so dramatic, and tempers are flaring and so out of control, it’s no wonder this HUGE task is going to be continued next week. Tune in…the blood bath continues.

P.S. I have gotten several emails asking me how, after my gigantic fight with Clint Black, could I work again with him. I am the kind of person who says what they think to someone’s face and then moves forward. I was furious with Clint, told him so, and then, as we are on the same team and must work together, put it behind me.

http://www.joanriversblog.com/blog/

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
'The Celebrity Apprentice' recap: Going once, going twice...

We learned several important lessons from last night's episode of The Celebrity Apprentice. First, Scott Ian from Anthrax (and those VH1 shows) is BFF with Annie Duke. Second, Clint Black makes me feel incredibly, painfully uncomfortable whenever he speaks — not just when he makes awkward sexual innuendos in viral videos. Third, according to Donald Trump, Sandra Bullock must have married Jesse James because he is good in bed (not because he's level-headed, down-to-earth, and funny). Fourth, according to Annie Duke, Annie Duke gives a great blow job.

After last week's awkward one-and-a-half challenges, we got a juicy double elimination last night. The first half of the show finished up the previous episode's auction debacle, in which each team auctioned off five pieces from Ivanka Trump's jewelry line. As you may recall, Annie spent pretty much all of last week's episode (and a couple of the previous ones) talking about how she had so many rich friends whom she could convince to donate in the next fundraising challenge, and bless her heart, the Athena project manager actually followed through. Her big-spending friends showed up and dropped some major dollars on the showy jewelry pieces Melissa picked out. And man, does Annie know how to talk people into doing what she wants them to — her auctioneer tactics included calling out her friends by name (like the aforementioned Scott Ian), shaming them into bidding more, and putting her head in their laps when she wasn't satisfied with what they were offering. Hey, whatever works, right?

KOTU, on the other hand, seemed doomed from the start of the challenge, when Natalie went to pick out the jewelry and returned with dainty, understated pieces that really didn't stand out on a runway. Though KOTU raised a bunch of money and pooled it to bid on the least expensive piece (so they'd make the most profit), they didn't get anyone to actually attend the auction and bid on the items. So when Clint opened bidding and all you could hear was crickets — painful. Then, when he started cracking unfunny jokes in his robotic, emotionless voice, really painful. Like, I had to look away because I was so uncomfortable. Thank goodness Joan popped her head out and brought some life to the room. Clint was failing so spectacularly and Joan's comedy was such a welcome breath of fresh air, however, that I couldn't help but wonder if either the whole thing was planned, or she was setting Clint up to fail.

In the boardroom, Annie and Joan had a pretty intense fight, during which Joan called Annie out on being two-faced (probably), having a huge ego (definitely), taking credit for everything (also definitely), and being just like Hitler (um...definitely not). After their blow-up, we found out that Athena won the challenge by raising $153,000 and KOTU only raised $92,000. Though I don't think Joan was a bad project manager, it didn't seem like anyone on her team really screwed up. When that happens, the project manager usually goes home, right? Well, not if you're BFF with Donald Trump. Since the editing had focused heavily on the jewelry choice last week, it wasn't a surprise when Trump sent Natalie packing instead of Joan.

The second challenge saw the contestants create a new dish and marketing campaign for the Schwan's frozen food LiveSmart line. Athena, led by Jesse, made turkey and spinach meatballs with gluten-free pasta. KOTU, led by Herschel, made Asian orange chicken. In the boardroom, we found out that though the main dishes both turned out well, KOTU's yogurt dessert was an unfreezable packaging nightmare and didn't really measure up to Athena's dish. We also sat through a weird interlude when Donald wondered why Sandra Bullock married Jesse. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he's got a great personality and charm, right? No, Donald says it's because Jesse's probably great in bed. Coincidentally, I began to wonder how Donald got such a hot model to marry him. It couldn't have anything to do with his piles of money, which I imagine he swims in, Scrooge McDuck-like, on a nightly basis, right?

Though I was rooting for Clint to get the ax (he just creeps me out), Donald ended up firing Herschel, who had lost as project manager for the second time. Clearly Joan wasn't going, since she's Trump's BFF, and Clint wasn't going, since he causes so much drama, so Herschel was the logical choice. Plus, he didn't really do much, and seemed to skate by under the radar on the other challenges.

What did you think of last night's two firings? Did Trump make the right choices? Are you on Team Joan or Team Annie? Did you also wonder why one of KOTU's models was wearing only underwear? Are you amused by the fact that Annie always has to have the last word (''I told you the gluten-free would work!'')?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/celebrity-app-3.html

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
I found it sort of slimy, an hour promotion of Ivanka's jewelry. I suppose it isn't any worse than Trump water, Trump hotels or Trump Casinos but it just seemed tawdry. Particularly when Clint Black couldn't get a single bid for the first piece, then insisted he wouldn't go lower, a fact that was brought up in the board room as embarrassing Ivanka.  Well yes, it was, but wasn't that considered before the task was planned?

Even worse the last two episodes have highlighted fights in the boardroom before the winner is even known. How dumb is that? Picking on your fellow teammates when you might not have lost? (REALLY dumb!)

Or how about Piers Morgan who picked and poked until he provoked the major blowup between the teams. The only thing that topped it was Ivanka complaining that she donated the jewelry and they didn't sell the first piece. I wish Clint Black had offered it for $50.00 and sold it at that price. Would Ivanka have felt better?

Blah! That's how I felt about the first hour.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the item that did not sell for $20,000 was the one they got for $6,000. Insisting on a 233% profit margin due to the celebrity involved is a bit absurd. Why didn't Clint just do what all auctioneers are forced to do, lower the opening price because that's all it is. It was clear that the audience did not want to pay as much as $20,000 for a $6,000 item. How much did they want to pay? We'll never know because Clint is an idiot. Now, after saying that it would have made no difference in the team outcome unless the item sold for at least $83,000, which was not going to happen.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the item that did not sell for $20,000 was the one they got for $6,000. Insisting on a 233% profit margin due to the celebrity involved is a bit absurd. Why didn't Clint just do what all auctioneers are forced to do, lower the opening price because that's all it is. It was clear that the audience did not want to pay as much as $20,000 for a $6,000 item. How much did they want to pay? We'll never know because Clint is an idiot. Now, after saying that it would have made no difference in the team outcome unless the item sold for at least $83,000, which was not going to happen.

Excellent point apskip, it was way too much. He was a terrible auctioneer. I was sorry to see Hershel leave and Clint stay, Clint is an idiot. He's quite good at diffusing blame, directing it away from himself.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
RECAP of CA2, 8 Contestants Left

THE AUCTION
Onward from where it left off last week, the auction of the Ivanka Trump collection jewelry is the main event this week. Athena is led by Annie Duke and KOTU by Joan Rivers. Piers, in his "eyes and ears" role which is not limited to just Athena, visits Athena and talks to Annie about preparations for the show. Annie tells her that the key is actually making sure high rollers come to the auction to support their favorite teams by bidding. Jesse and Melissa have both done a poor job on this, leaving it all to Annie and Brande. Both are strong contributors in other ways, however.  Piers indicates his support for Annie's philosopy that whoever raises the least money should be taken to the Boardroom if a loss results. Melissa gets the message and immediately starts phoning everyone she knows. Jesse is also affected when Piers later asks him how with a Hollywood star wife (Sandra Bullock), he can't raise any Hollywood money. Jesse is just passive aggressive in not responding. He made a deliberate decision to save those contacts for when he could personally beneift. He is not going to waste them on Annie or Joan. Piers asks him whether he contacted his wife. Jesse says no, he does not mix business with pleasure.

Natalie's plan to recruit poker players to bid aagainst Annie results in one of them she contacted calling Annie to tell her what's going on. Annie goes ballistic and uses some very strong language to dissaude the caller from doing that. Whoever it was will not go against Annie; I'm not sure whether he is going to actually bid for Annie or not, but Annie has several other high rollers that do come to town (this is not a phone in a bid auction like the one that Piers won CA1 at).

The Athena auciton was the Annie Duke show. Annie was the auctioneer and stroker of egos of his roller rollers and probably would have done anything necessary to beat Joan Rivers. The important work was already done, as those high rollers were in place and Annie used them masterfully. She sold crystal earrings to poker player Andy for $25K, $52K to Scott,  and $50K to Brande's friend Stewie. The other 2 items were not shown but they sold.

The KOTU auction starts with Clint in sole possession of the auctioneer role. He wanted to do that and Joan let him. That turned out to be a less than successful decision. Clint founders on the first item, which if I have connected the dots correctly is a diamond ring that costs KOTU if they sell it $6,000. Nobody was interested in bidding the minimum $20,000 that Clint wanted, then Clint withdrew it leaving his team with no profit whatever. Why didn't Clint just lower the opening bid minimum, say to $6,000 and see how bidding developed from there? I think the basic problem is with the choice of a large diamond, which tends to have inflated retail prices and sell mostly at major discounts to those. Clint continued awkwardly on a Hervey diamond hugging earring set and Black Onyx Earrings, so Joan jumped on stage and added some much-needed levity and homor to the auction. KOTU sold a total of four items so there were two others.

The boardroom quickly focused on the role of jewelry selection. Annie delegated that to Melissa, who selected large showy pieces that fit the format of this auction well and sold well. Joan delegated this to Natalie, who was given goals from her team to buy low-priced items that had maximum profit potential. That meant that the items she got were a bit smaller in size than the Athena items, which had implications for auction attendees being able to see them and value them. Someone (maybe Piers) even suggested that Ivanka's collection was degraded by the approach that KOTU took to selling it.

There is the ususal dicussion about how do you think you did. Trump then has the results announced by Ivanka and Piers. It is $92K for KOTU and $153K for Athena. Score one of Annie! She trounced Joan soundly, mostly due to her personal connections. She will be more vulnerable than others for having used those connections anad myabe unable to tap them again later. Joan here beccomes vicious in attacking winning project manager Annie. She uses an analaogy to Hitler at Buchenwald that is inappropriate and just plain nasty. She claims Annie has a big ego. Trump defends Annie saying that it is necessary in making a living at poker. Melissa also attacks Annie and Trump tells her she is making a mistake by protecting her mother and being disloyal to her project manager. That shuts her up. This is another example of Joan and Melissa in a coordinated effort, which was OK when on the same team but absolutely insane when on different teams. However, Trump may argue with Joan but he does not fire her (I would have for saying what she said; she is practically inviting it).

KOTU loses and someone will be fired. Everyone agrees that Joan was a saviour on the task, at elast as much as was possible, and that Herschel brought in $55,000 in the bidding. So was the KOTU loss due more to Natalie or to Clint? I think Clint was more at fault but Donald Trump found it convenient to pin it all on Natalie. He fired Natalie. Annie gets to deliver a record $245,000 check to Refugees International.

THE COOKOFF
The second task in this week's episode was a food competition. Schwan's frozen foods is a leader in their home delivery industry. They do not really need additional product recipes in my opinion (if they do their product development group would now be size zero), but they do need the celebrity marketing and the exposure of being the reason for a Celebrity Apprentice task. That task is to create a complete frozen meal to add to their product line and associated advertising campaign. Schwan's executives will judge the results.

Teams have to create an entree, side dishes and a dessert that stand up to freezing and taste very good when reheated at home. It was Herschel's turn as Project Manger vs. Jesse (the last competitor who has not already been one) for Athena P.M.

KOTU starts with some jousting between Clint and Herschel. Clint wants to give Herschel some feedback. Herschel dimisses it without listening because it is from Clint, the chronic compainer. So Clint does not get mad, he gets even by piping down and not providing Herschel with important information on some negatives. As Clint says, let him hang himself. It turns out that Herschel does not eat meat ( a vegetarian?), which puts him at a distinct disadvantage in tasting the alternatives. Herschel is the initial cook but Clint kind of takes it over over time. The first KOTU entree attempt is a soy chicken based on Clint's home recipe. They agree it is way too salty and tone it down with blood orange juice. This appears to satisfy KOTU and they name it Asian Orange Chicken. I would eat it for sure, although it is not clear that I would pay the premium for any home-delivered products. It has 480 calories a serving.

Athena has Annie taking charge in the kitchen, since as she puts it "I'm a fast cook" with 4 children and a husband to feed. They look at 3 different entree possibilities(also meeatloaf and chili) and do a taste test on them but 3 of 4 on the team want to focus on spaghetti and meatballs named Triple Play Turkey Meatballs. This also sounds really good.

KOTU adds French cut green beans and mashed potatoes and a complicated dessert of frozen yoghurt, berries and granola. Athena adds a gluten-free pasta, and an apple crisp dessert. It's time for judging.

The Schwan's executives had a lot of good things to say about the products of both teams, but one negative is the complicated KOTU dessert, which was diffcult to freeze. The KOTU advertising campaign concept sounded better to me since Jesse massively underperformed on this and would not share what he was doing with his team and ended up with meaningless drivel. The Schwans's executives bailed Jesse out by selecting Athena as the winner even though they also really liked KOTU. The bottom line here is that the "marketing campaign" was negligible in the overall decision, which was almost entirely based on the food concepts.

So congratulations to Athena and Jesse gets $20,000 to give to the Long Beach Education Foundation. Joan, Clint or Herschel will be fired. First of all, Joan performed decently so she was not on the bubble, except that the disastrous dessert concept was hers. Herschel definitely was as project manager. Clint was because of his mediocre at best performance. Herschel tried to disown the product choice, but Trump would not allow him to do that. Trump stated that as Project Manager it was Herschel's choice even if the basic concept had originated with Clint. Clint took a lot of flack from Donald Trump and Ivanka, but he came away still on KOTU as Herschel was fired. he was the only Project Manager with 2 losses.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:46:44 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
Whoa! The filth coming out of the mouths of Joan Rivers and Melissa Rivers was incredible in tonight's episode. They both deserve to be fired. Fortunately, Donald Trump is good at evaluating people and his production staff tells him what is going on with all the celebrities. He made the right decision in firing Melissa and I applaud Joan for realizing that the things she has said on camera are so egregious that she has goen over the edge. I look forward to NOT seeing Joan Rivers on television ever again. If she is in something I want to see, that will indicate that the producers of that show have no taste, so I will curb my enthusiasm. It appears that Joan Rivers' deliberate on-camera gaffe months ago was misdirection when she indicated that Melissa will be in the final. That is true and so will Tom Green and Dennis Rodman and all the fired celebrities. Donald Trump would sue them big-time if they did not show up.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »
Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!  That last segment was the most vile, profane, riveting, and exciting piece of reality television that I can recall.

Bravo Celebrity Apprentice. 

Offline pledge

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2009, 09:47:03 AM »
That was quite an episode.........especially after the firing !
IMO looks like "The Donald" likes to keep the ones that he
feels can bring in the most money.  Like last year, not work
ethics but who you know and how much money you can make.

Online RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
Annie's blog:

Episode 9 of Celebrity Apprentice: I am a Whore Pit Viper

I am not exactly sure what a whore pit viper is but I hope it becomes the catch phrase of 2009.

This week we were tasked with creating a 4 page advertorial for Right Guard. The teams were 4 on 2 so one of Athena’s members needed to be moved over to KOTU. That morning I was sure it would be me. I figured the producers would want to see Joan and me on the same team. Man, was I wrong. Those producers are much, much smarter than I am for sure because the dynamic between me, Brande and Melissa was much more interesting to watch as was the dynamic between Clint and Jesse. Go producers for moving Jesse on over to KOTU. A much better move than I would have made.

So, I will go over KOTU first, then address Athena.

On KOTU, Jesse really knew magazine advertising.  He is an amazing photgrapher and he owns a magazine (called Garage Magazine) and understands the cutting edge of this kind of layout. Jesse and Joan both gave Clint ideas.  Joan came up with a bunch of big black guys hovering around David Lee (a white guy) to show David under pressure.  What the hell? I don’t get that and it seems kind of racist. So that idea was promptly rejected. Jesse came up with this idea of David being the new kid on the block with the pressures of New York City to deal with. He drew out an amazing two page spread with David in front of a beautiful cityscape. That is the idea KOTU went with. Good call.

Jesse went out to photograph the cityscape while Clint stayed back to lay out the project. I found the interactions on the team interesting. As far as I could tell, Joan just stayed out of the way once her ideas were rejected and left Clint and Jesse to do all the work. Clint incorporated a lot of Jesse’s ideas as well as some of his own. Jesse got pissed that Clint wasn’t executing all of Jesse’s ideas. Now I am a huge fan of Jesse James. I think he is incredibly talented. I think he is incredibly intelligent. I think he deserves to be in the final two. But in this case, I feel the need to defend Clint Black. Obviously, I wasn’t in the room so I am only looking at the edit. But it seemed that Clint was trying really hard to be accommodating of Jesse’s ideas and really incorporate them. In fact, the final layout seemed to reflect most of what Jesse wanted. Jesse, though, decided to absent himself from the process at some point. Even when Clint was begging for input, Jesse refused to give him any. In this case I think Jesse let his personal feelings about Clint (he clearly doesn’t like him) to get in the way of being a team player. Had the team lost, I would have actually thought Jesse should be fired for shutting Clint out like that when Clint was begging for help. I never thought I would say that because in terms of overall game play I don’t think there is a comparison between the two. Jesse is the much, much stronger player.

Over on Athena, Brande stepped up as Project Manager and doled out the tasks. She tasked me with doing the brand messaging and the presentation and the slogan and and and. I was actually very resistant to being tasked with so much. I tried to insist that Brande do the presentation as I felt that was a lot to put on my shoulders. In the end Brande really wanted me to do all that so I did what my Project Manager asked of me, reluctantly. Melissa was tasked with doing all the photo editing and layout work. Brande oversaw everything.

I came up with the concept of David Lee naked with the saying “Right Guard: The only thing I ever need to wear” That is the concept Brande chose to go with, which upset Melissa. In fact, everything upset Melissa. When I called Brande to let her know the photographer had said it was an advantage to shoot David first, Melissa got upset that we were keeping secrets. I am not sure why since we were on speaker phone. The fact is Melissa felt like she was being set up for failure by me and Brande. But that is actually not true. I am not saying that I would not have done that if I had to in order to succeed in the game. Of course I would have. But I didn’t need to. Melissa was setting herself up for failure with no help from me by being an ineffective fundraiser and abrasive in the boardroom to Trump, to Piers, to George, etc. At the end of the game, those things really matter and I already knew that Melissa was going to have trouble getting to the end. The dynamic with her mother was already bringing her down, the dynamic with the people in the boardroom as well. And the fundraising capabilities. Brande was, plain and simple, the stronger player.

But, amazingly, in the end I think we all worked very well together. I took Melissa aside to try to make her feel more included. Brande did the same. Because in the end we are a team and we wanted to win and not have to face the boardroom and go into the next task a team of 2 against a team of 3. I actually to this day think we made a very good layout. And I stand behind the presentation I did and was extremely surprised my Melissa’s comments about my presentation. She watched me practice that at least 5 times and never once said she didn’t like it. She never once said it wasn’t conversational enough. Even she thought it was bad, why didn’t she ever say that to my face? Why did she only critique me behind my back? My only explanation is that she was trying to set me up for failure, the very thing she accused me of doing to her. I would have liked the constructive criticism to tell you the truth since I was reluctant to do the presentation in the first place. I really felt Brande should be doing it.

So we go in the boardroom and this interesting dynamic between Clint and Jesse comes out. I knew Jesse did not like Clint. But that was hard for me to watch because, again, from what I saw Clint was actually trying to cooperate for once in the game and I could see he felt very shut out and thrown under the bus in all that. From what I could see the layout did mostly come from Jesse’s ideas…just not 100% of the layout. And when I saw their work I knew we were going to lose. They did a really good job. So I am surprised Jesse was so upset about the whole thing in the first place except that he just plain old doesn’t like Clint. That is my only explanation.

On our side, the executives liked the concept of David Lee half naked and they liked the branding but they thought the execution was boring. That was their words and that was our downfall. Athena lost the task. I was very nervous that I might be the one to go simply because I had been tasked with so much. The thing I had going for was exactly the compliment Cramer had paid to me earlier…that I had done most of the work so if we won I would get  a lot of credit it but I had also set myself up not be be fired because I had been so vocal in making sure that everyone knew I did not ask to have so much put on my shoulders. But that might not matter, even if I had played the hand right. Even if I had made sure I left all the decision making power with my PM I still might get axed for the failed layout since I had done so much of it.

As soon as we got in the boardroom, though, it became clear right away that I was not in danger. Trump, Cramer and Ivanka all quizzed both Brande and Melissa about whether or not I had taken over the task and everyone vehemently agreed that I had not. That really put me out of hot water and, interestingly enough, it was Melissa who really argued the most strongly in my favor when she was trying to argue I should be fired.

The other point was that, actually, in the end the execs thought the photos were boring and that happened to be the one thing that was not my job. That was a lucky break for me since I had so much on my shoulders in this task. So it came down to Brande and Melissa and who would be fired. When I was asked about this I had an interesting dilemma. At this point in the game, Brande and I had become very good friends so my loyalties certainly were with her. However, I also knew that going into the next task I would a) have to be project manager if Brande went along with me since she had already stepped up twice and b) that if we were to lose I would have a much weaker argument against Brande than I would against Melissa. Being PM for sure on the next task would be a tough spot since the PM is usually the most under fire. And Brande was the stronger player to boot. She had raised much more money than Melissa, second only to me in fact in the game. She was an incredibly hard worker. And, this is really important, she was really well liked. Much more well liked than me, obviously. Melissa, on the other hand, was a weak fundraiser, was not well liked at all and would have to be project manager on the next task since she had lost on her first try so would need to try for a win in order to win the whole game. So taking Melissa long with me would be a better play.

But I really went against game play here and decided to argue for Melissa getting fired. Why? Because I really just felt Brande deserved to be in the game more and I just plain really like and respect her as a person. So when push came to shove, I recommended Melissa get fired even though it felt like it was against my short term best interests. I figured the life equity issue was much more important to me at that point…walking away from the game knowing that I had been loyal to my friend, to Brande.

So, in the end Trump fired Melissa and, well, you saw the meltdown from the Rivers for yourself. Folks! It’s a game where you get fake fired from a fake job all in the hopes of raising a ton of money for charity! Really, calling anyone a whore pit viper under those circumstances is an extreme reaction and, frankly, not losing with grace. And Joan Rivers. Well. What can I say there? As far as Brande goes…as much as Joan likes to claim I called Brande an idiot she is the only one who has disparaged Brande’s intellect falling on the age old your a dumb blond insult. Brande defended herself pretty well against that one pointing out if she is so stupid then why is she still there and not Melissa. Good point Brande. For everyone thinking I somehow manipulated Brande in order to get ahead in the game I would venture to say it is quite the opposite. Brande outplayed Melissa pretty nicely.

Now, as for Joan’s comments about poker players…well…what I said on the show is true. Poker players are the most wonderful people you will ever meet. Poker players are thoughtful and generous and are good for their word. I think it is so interesting that the group that has come out the most strongly in support of the show and in support of these charities, poker players, are so vilely disparaged by Joan on the show. But it was clear Joan doesn’t care much about that when she said, “Oh stop with all this charity nonsense.” Joan can attack me all she wants. She can attack my morals. She can call me a Nazi and compare me to Hitler. I signed up for that when I agreed to do the show. I was there to defend myself. But to use such a broad brush to insult a whole group of people who did not sign up for that kind of abuse, implying they are criminals, saying outright that they give blood money and are worse than white trash. Well now I am angry. To insult me is one thing. I can take it. To insult my friends who have been nothing but generous and selfless in their support of charity. That is a whole other thing and that is where you can get a rise out of me.

Joan saying that all poker players have no last names and are worse than white trash is like me saying that all comedians are miserable, depressed people who take their angst, anger and unhappiness out on everyone around them. Clearly, that would be unfair.

http://www.annieduke.com/2009/04/episode-9-of-celebrity-apprentice-i-am-a-whore-pit-viper/