Author Topic: Celebrity Apprentice 2  (Read 79123 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Celebrity Apprentice 2
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
Recap of Celebrity Apprentice 2, ep. 1

Wow, this was a barn burner of an episode. Both the women and men's teams are loaded with major conflict. Let's meet the contestants for the title of biggest charity fundraiser on reality television, aka the Apprentice:

Dennis Rodman   
Tom Green     
Khloe Kardashian
Brian McKnight     
Melissa Rivers       
Clint Black             
Brande Roderick   
Scott Hamilton     
Jesse James         
Joan Rivers           
Claudia Jordan   
Annie Duke         
Andrew Dice Clay
Herschel Walker 
Tionne Watkins   
Natalie Gulbis

All references from this point on will be to first names only. These are all B-list or C-list celebrities, but the mix of the personalities is absolutely fascinating. Donald Trump picked a winner of a cast!

Trump arrive in a helicopter onto the deck of the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier museum docked in the Hudson River near 42th St. of New York City. Trump makes some remarks about how hard the Intrepid fought and that it never lost a battle. The analogy to the need for the Apprentice to never lose a battle can easily be inferred. He says the Men will compete against the Women, so go develop a good name and choose a Project Manager and let's get going. He does caution that losing Project Managers frequently get fired.

The suspense does not last long on the Men's side. Herschel steps up and says he wants to do it. He stresses teamwork. Joan steps up for the women. She says she is the only contestant without a tampon in her handbag. She wants to lead the Women to their first victory. There are rumors that Joan started herself with a slip (yeah, right) on a talk show that her daughter Melissa will reach the finals of CA2. In this first episode you see Joan trying to help Melissa along with responsibility or tacit non-interference that will advance her on her team.

The team names come out of discussion. One of the men says that Kings of the Universe would be a good name. It's too long, so they use only the initials, KOTU. The women debate alternatives, but Athena is the goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry, justice and skill and that wins the day. The teams are ready for their first project after they decide where they will sell the cupcakes. The Men choose Times Square, not very original but almost always a good location for high traffic. Joan wants to go to Macy's but some of the other women on her team tell her that there is a lot of foot traffic but maybe not too many buyers there. Brande, one of the delights of this competition, steps up and says that she can guarantee that a whole building will buy cupcakes if they go to 57th St. and 5th Avenue in front of the Playboy Building. The other task done immediately is that Jesse has experience in creating publicity for his show, so he takes pictures of the Men's teams which will be turned into giant decals for the sides of the mobile unit (read truck). Jesse takes the assignment of creating those with a little help from one of the men. The results the next morning are pretty spectacular. If the decals on a mobile unit were the criteria for victory, the Men would win big as the ones four of the Women create are much less compelling.

Trump says they are to create, make and sell cupcakes. These are not ordinary cupcakes. They are the kind of cupcakes with magic ingredients that people will write checks for thousands of dollars for. First the teams must go to the Institute of Culinary Education to learn how to make cupcakes and also actually make all that they will sell. There is an unstated time limit. So the instructors, a woman for the Men's team and a man for the Women's team, teach them how to make the batter and then how long to bake them and how to put toppings on them. The Men are instructed that precise measurement is the key to success. The Men make huge batches of yellow cupcakes and of chocolate cupcakes and so do the women. Someone on the Men's forgot to put the sugar into the chocolate variety, so they end up coating the tops multiple time with a sugar-based clear syrup. Someone on the women's team put baking soda instead of baking powder into the recipe. They are in danger of not having many dozens of cupcakes to sell, but they expedite another batch through the system and it comes out OK. On the men's side, Andrew opts out of the cupcake making because he considers that his best use is to publicize the sale over Sirius satellite radio. Dennis elects to go with Andrew, as he considers cupcake making to be beneath him.

The next challenge was to make appropriate sauces for the cupcakes. The women decide to go with chocolate ganosh. I have vaguely heard of ganosh without attempting to learn what it is. That is a luxury I cannot afford any longer. Here is the recipe for a ganosh:
8 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
1 LB Dark or Milk Chocolate Compound
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tsp. Vanilla or Flavoring such as Raspberry, Almond or Orange
In saucepan bring heavy whipping cream to a boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Using a mixer add chocolate and mix until chocolate is melted. Add butter and flavoring. Mix ganosh for approximately 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture has the consistency of pudding. Ganosh can be put into your chocolate shells right away using a pastry bag or you can refrigerate for 24 hours

The women use it as a pudding and put it right on top of their caved in chocolate cupcakes. The men do not appear to have anything special in their sauces and toppings. Teams finish and pack all their cupcakes as it is time to go sell them.

The Men's mobile unit looks really spiffy. Various of the men get busy attracting customers and selling. Somebody brough in Tony Hawk the skateboard champion and he gave $1000. Andrew had promised money from Donnie Deutch of CNBC and $5000 arrived with less than 2 minutes before the clock ran out. The major exception is Dennis, who reluctantly goes out for a minute at a time to have his picture taken with customers. He is a piece of work, as they say, marching to the beat of his own drummer. The same applies to Andrew, who has his notion of what he wants to do and is unwilling to take direction from the Project Manager. I have to admit the Herschel did not appear to be trying hard ot rein these guys in. Doubtless he wanted an insurance policy of two major non-performers who would allow him to stay if he lost. Ivanka is observing the men's team (her dad says he has superior talent as evualuating men) and she is on to the Andrew and Dennis act.

The women's team does some interesting things. Annie had said that she would bring in about $20,000 and I could count $17,000 that was on camera. Brande brought in $5,000 from Hugh Hefner plus most of the occupants of the Playboy New York office. Brande had two high rollers arrive and Annie wanted to minimize the number of cupcakes given to them so they could keep selling. They brought $9000 so Brande's point was that they could have have whatever they wanted for that. The women finish selling 15 minutes earlier when they run out of cupcakes. Don Jr. is observing them.

There is a bonus available to the team with the best cupcake. Each team has to select their best cupcake and deliver it to a cupcake company on 8th St.  Andrew is selected for this because he is otherwise useless. Melissa does it for the women and takes one of those concave tops filled with that chocolate ganosh. I think it also has chunks of chocolate on top of that. It looks like a winner while the men's cupcake looks average. The proprietress of that company eats a small piece of each one and makes a decision that will result in the team winning this sub-competition getting $15,000 to supplement their sales. Trump will announce it at the moment of major suspense.

The Boardroom scene gets chaotic quickly. Trump always asks how did you think you did and who were the major contributor and the major loser of each team. The lack of effort and team spirit from Andrew and Dennis is obvious. Herschel's barely passable leadership was put into question. On the women's side Annie's strong personality, resented by several of her teammates, is defended by Trump as the result of playing for decades against men in poker and most the the time beating them.   Joan singles out Brande as being the major positive force on their team, but Annie actually brought in more money.

It's time for the tally. The Men have sold $49K. The Women learn that they have won the cupcake challenge and with $15K added to their total of $46K they now have $61K and win. Without the challenge they would have lost. So the Men stay in the Boardroom and the women can watch by closed-circuit TV from their suite. The focus on the Men's team goes to the losing Project Manger Herschel, Andrew and Dennis. The Women's feed is turned off for the final decision. I could have fired either Dennis or Andrew, but Trump (after baiting him with the opportunity to quit) fires Andrew. Trump has historical relationships with Dennis so I think those saved his hide. In any event the key was that Herschel was not fired. He did not deserve it, although he was a too laid-back Project Manager and did nothing to alleviate the cancer of Andrew and Dennis's non-performances.

I am really looking forward to the rest of this season.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:27 AM »
Here is the latest scoop on episode 2, from www.realitywanted.com:

After a heated boardroom debate on last weeks premiere episode of NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice," which saw Joan Rivers emerge victorious raising $126,000 for her charity and Andrew Dice Clay as the first to be fired, the remaining 15 contestants regroup for their next challenge -- to create and costume a comic book character for Zappos.com with the help of Image Comics. The episode airs Sunday, March 8 (9-11 p.m. ET).

In this week's episode, Khloe Kardashian hesitantly takes on the role of project manager for Team ATHENA and Scott Hamilton confidently becomes the project manager for the men, Team KOTU. Khloe surprisingly matures in her leadership role and is able to get the strong-minded women to come together and collaborate on one idea even when one of her member's falls ill at a crucial moment. Scott has trouble getting the egos of Team KOTU to unite, and clashes with Tom Green's energetic personality, but ultimately gets the men together sufficiently to present their concept. In the end, the Zappos.com executive chooses the team that created the best comic book character, and Trump fires another celebrity with counsel from his son Donald Trump Jr. and CNBC's Erin Burnett.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2009, 08:54:26 AM »
Shoot! I missed the first episode. There's a repeat on Saturday and I'll catch it then. Thanks for the recap Apskip!  :-*
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE

Episode: 802

03-08-2009 9:00PM

Each team must create and costume a comic book character, and present it to the Zappos.com executive. From the very beginning, the project manager for the men is caught in a battle of wills with one of his teammates. On the women’s side, one celebrity is uncomfortable in her role as the costume model, while another member of the team falls ill. On the men’s team, personalities clash and the creative process is almost derailed. In the end, the executive chooses the best character, and Trump fires another celebrity.

THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE

Episode: 803

03-15-2009 10:00PM
The teams are each given 125 wedding dresses to sell in an empty retail space they must design and decorate. For the second time this season the celebrities’ rolodexes are put to the test, and both teams feel the heat as they try to get big sales lined up on short notice. Celebrities on one team have trouble getting friends to pony up money for charity, while some on the other team have trouble just getting out of bed. The fundraising goes down to the wire, putting one team over the top and the other team into the boardroom, where Trump fires another celebrity.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
Video:

Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump,Donald Trump Jr @ Today Show 2.26.09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LEJLdF2gw

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

Annie Duke's Blog:

Episode 1 of Celebrity Apprentice: This is going to be tough for me…
All right.  Well I watched the first episode of Celebrity Apprentice and I am really of two minds about it.  I mean my first reaction is that it is painful to watch people say mean things about me, of course.  That was hard to see people rolling the eyes and whatnot.  But my other reaction is that I followed my game plan perfectly so I just kind of have to live with it knowing that I was doing exactly what I intended to do: get noticed and cause some controversy but back it up with incredibly hard work and money raising.

I mean, here is the thing: I was put in charge of that kitchen because Joan Rivers was doing the decorating of the truck (which, apparently, Melissa Rivers was kind of in charge of as it turns out).  As the person in charge, I made sure we got 1,000 cupcakes baked and iced, cupcakes that tasted delicious and won the taste test (despite Melissa not consulting the bakers about which cupcakes tasted the best before running off to Crumbs bakery).  I raised the most money of anyone on either team.  And, yes, Brande Roderick and I got in a tiff but she didn’t tell me how much she was selling the whole flat of cupcakes for!  I mean, from a poker player’s standpoint, I knew the people wouldn’t actually walk away if they didn’t get the whole flat.  They were donors and they would have taken just one cupcake and given her the check.  I knew we were running really low on cupcakes.  I mean once she told me it was $9K for the cupcakes I gave her the flat but we did run out of cupcakes before the end of the task!  Just like I said!

And just so you know, Brande and I made up right after that fight.  I was really stressed out and tired and right after the spat I told her that clearly the stress was showing in me and I was really sorry I snapped at her.  We made up right away and were actually watching the episode together at the Spanish Kitchen in LA with other cast members and all the crew members and producers and editors.  It was a really fun party and I was totally getting on Brande’s case for being so mean to me! lol!  Brande is awesome, by the way.  She came off totally amazing on the show, clearly working really hard and raising a ton of money on the cupcake task.  She deserved to be called the superstar of the task for sure!  Picking the location outside the Playboy building was genius and thank god for that or we would have ended up in the exact location they sold hotdogs at the previous season and got totally criticized for it.  Brande is a rock star.

Anyway, back to the show…I feel like I was efficient, I ran the kitchen like clockwork and I raised a bunch of money.  I rubbed people the wrong way for sure but, well, I knew that was going to happen.  I have that kind of strong and direct personality that takes a while for people to get.  The flip side is that I didn’t trash talk anyone (in fact I thought everyone worked really, really hard on the task and did an amazing job), I totally gave kudos to the chefs who were helping us (they were completely awesome!  And stopped us from panicking about the fallen chocolate cupcakes), and I worked my freaking ass off non-stop and raised a crap load for charity.  My checklist was accomplished since for sure Trump took notice of me which I needed since he had no idea who I was going into that show.  I always say that one of the most common things my friends say about me, and these are really my best friends who I would lay down in front of a bus for, is that when they first met me they thought I was a bitch.  It takes a while to get my personality I think and I am not one of those people that anyone is lukewarm on.  It is either completely love me or completely hate me.  I figure that just means that I actually have a personality lol.

As for the boys…Oh…My…..God!  How about that Andrew Dice Clay?  I mean if you are going to go on a show like the Celebrity Apprentice then you might want to think about doing some work.  My opinion is that he didn’t really want to be there in the first place so was probably pretty happy he got fired and could go back to his life.  I mean, I don’t think anyone really realizes how tough that show is.  You wake up at like 5 am and work till 11 pm then start all over again day after day after day.  I actually don’t blame anyone for burning out.  I am just suprised someone would want off that quickly.  But I think he got what he wanted so good for him.

And how much do you love Jesse James and Herschel Walker?  How awesome are they?  I think Jesse hilarious.  He seems so laid back but did you see that truck he created?  That was amazing and completely kickass.  It made the girls’ truck look like ass. Jesse seems laid back but that guy can produce some work.  And he is the most honest of anyone I think. When he was asked about the cupcakes he didn’t lie or tried to sugar coat anything (literally since the boys actually tried to sugar coat their cupcakes).  He just said they tasted like ass and you gotta love that guy for that!

I really felt for Herschel in that episode because I can’t imagine what it was like trying to manage Dennis Rodman and Andrew Dice Clay. Those guys just wanted to do what they wanted to do and I don’t think there was any telling them otherwise, no matter what.  Herschel is a really smart guy and runs a really successful business.  He did everything he could, I think, to get that team working together and he brought in the most money on his team.  But if Dennis won’t even come out of the truck onto the street I mean no one can force Dennis to come out to be visible.  Herschel’s hands were tied and I was really glad he didn’t get fired.  I don’t think he in any way deserved to be fired.

One last thing…how do you like the boys’ team name?  KOTU!  OMG!  I couldn’t believe that was their name!  I kept referring to them as team Kotex, which I think they can’t show on the actual show because it is a product name.  but that is what it sounded like to me.  Joe has already starting referring to them as team TOFU!  lol!

Before I sign off, I guess I need to address the Mussolini comment from Joan.  Now, first off let me say that calling me Mussolini is offensive to everyone who was affected by him.  We are talking about Celebrity Apprentice here, a relatively insignificant and innocuous blip in the history of this country.  To compare anything on Celebrity Apprentice to the atrocities of World War II…well I guess I just think that is over the top to say the least.  On a personal note, Joan put me in charge of the kitchen while she went off to do the truck decorating.  I made sure, with the incredible hard work of my teammates, especially Natalie Gulbis, that we got those cupcakes done and that they tasted good.  I also raised a ton of money, more than anyone else.  Between me and Brande we raised enough together to beat the boys’ team just by ourselves.  I know that I was barking out orders (although I always said please!).  But we had 6 hours to bake those cupcakes and, as far as I am concerned, Joan should have been happy about how that kitchen went.  She was project manager.  It was her ass on the line.  She put me in charge of the kitchen.  The kitchen ran like a top.  We won the taste test.  We raised the most money.  Our team won the challenge and she didn’t have to go into the boardroom. I guess in Joan’s eyes that is a bad thing and warrants being compared to one of the most atrocious dictators in recent history.  I my eyes that is extremely over the top.  But, hey, I guess for the rest of my life I can tell the story of how Joan Rivers compared me to Mussolini.  So there is always the bright side!

Well..tune into the show next week.  More fun and hilarity will ensue.  I am sure I will want to kill myself even more after watching next weeks show because I don’t think the snarky crap said behind Annie’s back is going to get any better in episdoe 2!  I am just taking a deep breath, trying to be thick skinned, and reminding myself that this was my game strategy going in and I knew the consequences of that and now I need to live with it!

http://www.annieduke.com/2009/03/episode-1-of-celebrity-apprentice-this-is-going-to-be-tough-for-me/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »

THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE

Episode: 804

03-22-2009

Both teams are charged with producing a live event launching ACN’s new video phone to hundreds of sales reps. A heated exchange almost comes to blows before the task has even begun, ending with one celebrity walking away from the team. On the other side a previous engagement sends a vital celebrity out of town and their delayed return puts their team in jeopardy. Both project managers are accused of misusing their team members’ talents. An exciting live event ends with one team on top, and in the board room Donald Trump sends another celebrity packing.

THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE

Episode: 805

03-29-2009

Teams are given 5 rooms at the Lowes Regency Hotel and must cater to their guests’ every need. The celebrities don hotel uniforms and run every aspect of the hotel, cleaning rooms, running the concierge, and delivering room service. Each celebrity wears several hats, trying to give the high-end service they are used to getting. One team must contend with disgruntled guests, while the other team faces off with a leader who’s out of control. Guest surveys give one team the edge and, in a powerful, moving boardroom, Trump must fire another celebrity.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »

.... this is interesting

Released by NBC

NBC BREEZES INTO MARCH WITH LINEUP THAT SHOWCASES PREMIERES OF 'KINGS' AND 'THE CHOPPING BLOCK' AS WELL AS CONTINUING 'FUGITIVES' VOLUME OF 'HEROES' AND CHALLENGING NEW EPISODES OF 'THE BIGGEST LOSER: COUPLES' AND 'THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE'

Tensions in the boardroom rise on "The Celebrity Apprentice" with a comic book challenge March 8 and a wedding dress sales mission March 15. Both teams are charged with producing a live event for hundreds of sales reps and one celebrity walks off the task after a heated argument on March 22. And on March 29, a celebrity struggles with alcohol addiction and causes difficulty for their team. It all comes to a head in the boardroom as the teammates form an intervention in hopes of helping the celebrity face their addiction.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »

Here is the latest scoop on episode 2, from www.realitywanted.com:

I'm confused apskip your link does not take me to the "latest scoop" it takes me to the home page for realitywanted?

It's an actual press release from NBC dated March 2, 2009

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2009, 12:09:09 AM »

Of course Donald makes the right choice.

The issue between Scott and Tom was only a personality conflict and not the cause for the team losing the task. EEE was a stupid idea.

Tom was hilarious waving his arms around I’m invisible No one can see me  :lol:  omg so funny

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »

THE 14 REMAINING CONTESTANTS ON NBC'S "THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE" ARE TASKED WITH DESIGNING A BRIDAL STORE AND SELLING WEDDING DRESSES THIS SUNDAY, MARCH 15 (10-11 P.M. ET)

NBC Press Release

After the men's team lost for the second week in a row which resulted in the firing of Olympian Scott Hamilton, tensions are running high on "The Celebrity Apprentice." In the upcoming episode airing Sunday, March 15 (10-11 p.m. ET) the remaining 14 contestants prepare for their next challenge -- to design a bridal store and sell 125 wedding dresses.

Each team is given 125 wedding dresses and tasked with decorating a retail bridal store. One team almost falls apart after two of its celebrities stay out on an all night binge while Joan Rivers mouthing off is starting to get her in trouble. The celebrities' rolodexes are put to the test, and both teams feel the heat as they try to get big sales lined up on short notice. Celebrities on one team have trouble getting friends to pony up money for charity. The fund-raising goes down to the very last second, putting one team over the top and the other team into the boardroom, where Trump fires another celebrity.

Clint Black, Annie Duke, Tom Green, Natalie Gulbis, Jesse James, Claudia Jordan, Khloe Kardashian, Brian McKnight, Joan Rivers, Melissa Rivers, Brande Roderick, Dennis Rodman, Herschel Walker and Tionne Watkins are the remaining celebrities still vying to be The Celebrity Apprentice.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
Celebrity Apprentice 2 Episode 2 Recap

Last week, I identified the first episode as a barn burner. I wish I could say the same this week, but I found Episode 2 BORING. So let's find out why I concluded that. Scott is the KOTU Project Manger and Khloe is the Athena Proejct Manager. Trump tells them that the winner will get $20,000 for his/her charity (not quite 1/6th of what Joan Rivers got for God's Love We Deliver of New York City, which prepares and delivers fresh, nutritious, high-quality meals to people living with HIV/AIDS who are unable to provide or prepare meals for themselves).

The reason is that the rivalries on the Men's team became almost psychopathic. There were some decent male celebrities trying to do a good job and that even included Dennis this week, but Tom was hell-bent on overtalking anyone with his incessant attempts at humor. I have paraphrased what one of the contestants said: "there's a time for humor and goofing off but it's not when you are desperate to make basic decisions." In addition Clint was being disuptive with his arguing with everyone else. On the Women's team Joan is trying to clear the path for Melissa by getting Annie out of the way. She's so transparent in this, but Trump is supporting it publicly now.

The task is to work with Zappos to create a character, 4 page comic book, costumes and story line to laud its customer service department. Each team gets 2 Zappos creative persons as an artist and an editor. Both teams flounder for what may have been days with little progress. At the last minute both teams work extra hard to pull it out. The women create Ms Z. (Zappos is known to favor names starting with Z) and the men create Eee. That stands for eveything eveywhere everytime, which is a catchy phrase but a horrible name. Stories and costuming decisions are made but who really cares? Tony Hsieh is the President and he will judge the outcome.

Athena makes their presentation, but Claudia Jordan is stumbling with her lines due to serious illness the night before. Natalie Gulbis had been drafted to wear a revealing costume. She is asked how she likes the costume and says that she would not wear it in real life (it's too cheesy). Since KOTU has female characters either some Zappos employees or 2 actresses played their primary characters. Tom is doing the narrative and does an uncharacteristic good job.  Tony tells Scott that he does not like the name Eee for the character. Tony tells Trump who wins in private so that it can be revealed at a more strategic time.

The Boardroom is full of the usual hot air from the contestants. Erin Burnett has been filling in for Ivanka and monitoring KOTU and Donald Jr. is there monitoring Athena. Trump asks each one what they think. Erin says that KOTU did very well except for the name, but the hatred of that name should cause KOTU and the person who decided on it (who was Scott) to lose. Before one team is dismissed for winning, Joan who is miffed at being kept out of the writing effort despite her writing 2 Broadway plays gets in a huge shot at Annie. It says more about the pettiness of Joan than it does about Annie. However, I don't think Joan is either as smart or as tough as Annie, so she needs to be careful how vociferous she is.

Trump lets the teams know after the usual crap and unnecessary delays who the winning team is. Athena did not win so much as KOTU lost due to that name. The women are dismissed and the men stay in the Boardroom. the first shot comes from Erin, who says that all 7 of the  Men wanted to be in charge and lead the team. This was a difficult environment to function in, and should mitigate Scott's lackluster performance will little focus on the tasks. It was clear from the earlier discussion that the final decision would be Scott vs. Tom. Tom was accused of letting his boredom get out of control in conjunction with his need to perform comedy. He totally undermined that team. However, Scott had personally created and selected that name and that was the basis for the ultimate decision to fire Scott.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »

Melissa Rivers Blogs:

The Gloves Are Off: “I Didn’t Steal Claudia’s Idea”

It’s only taken two weeks for the gloves to start coming off on The Celebrity Apprentice. For viewers, it seems that a stage is being set between Claudia Jordan and me. Our task this week was to create a comic book character for online retailer, Zappos. With the help of some creative editing (which I’m all for btw) you were lead to believe that I was taking credit for Claudia’s concept regarding our character, Mizz Z. This was not the case.

Remember when our team pitched the focus group of comic book readers? With the exception of Claudia’s opening statement, her entire pitch was edited out. And for good reason, it fell completely flat. At that point, what you didn’t see was the rest of our group pushing me to pitch my idea. Now granted, all of us had similar ideas, but the editing absolutely leads to matters being taken out of context. If you watch the show again here on www.fancast.com you’ll see in the boardroom that I’m the first one to come to Claudia’s defense when she’s put on the chopping block regarding her shaky pitch to Donald and the Zappos execs. I’m a team player and said what was right to defend her.

But I also have to tell you that midway through our task I began to realize something troubling about my teammate, that Claudia is only worried about Claudia. I started to get the feeling that Claudia is really out to get me. On CA there are so many strong personalities, clashing is expected. I’ve made new friends from the show, I really like Khloe Kardashian and a few others. You’ve also probably noticed that Clint Black and Annie Duke aren’t winning any popularity contests amongst the rest of us.
The unsung hero this week for our team was Tionne. She did a ridiculous amount of hard work and didn’t get nearly enough credit on the show. She had a clear vision designing the costume and a strong sense of how to push the envelope regarding its alluring look. The execs from Zappos loved it so much they said they’re probably going to use Mizz Z, in their marketing.

Over on the other side of the hallway in the men’s office, the wheels appear to be falling off the car. With all their egos walking around, there are major warring factions going on. You’d assume that a group of women would have the problems that they experience, not being able to agree on anything, but the guys’ cannot get past step one. One thing about our team, when we put an idea out there, we discussed it, made a decision, and moved on.

I really felt both teams had the same misstep with their tasks’. Not having Tom Green or my mom write the script for the super hero ad campaigns was just plain dumb. During the episode I spent a lot of time managing my mother’s justified frustration. In the end, Donald was right to fire Scott. The name for their female here, “E”, was horrible and made no sense at all.

During our back to back victory party, you saw Herschel Walker walk in after leaving the boardroom right before Scott got the ax. I was the first person Herschel walked up to and for a huge football player, he was visibly rattled. That final board room is serious pressure. Even for a Heisman Trophy winner.

Before I go, I want to congratulate my mom. Last week she kicked the season off and was the first winner on CA. Her charity, God’s Love We Deliver (www.glwd.org) got a major donation, over 126k. That’s the reason we all do this show, to raise money and bring awareness on a global level to charities most people never heard of. God’s Love We Deliver has been a part of my mom’s life, and mine, since it began.

They deliver meals to anyone who is house bound by an illness that makes them unable to get or even cook food. They’ve grown from meals being delivered on bicycle to now having nutritionally customized meals delivered daily. We’ve got over 14,000 volunteers who deliver over 15,000 meals a week. To this day, God’s Love has delivered over 9 million meals. And thanks to Celebrity Apprentice, their awareness just grew a few more million.

Have a great week and we’ll catch up after the next Celebrity Apprentice…

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/celebrity-apprentice/the-gloves-are-off-i-didntsteal-claudias-idea/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »

Annie Duke's Blog:

Episode 2 of Celebrity Apprentice: The Boys Name Their Character after a Drug???

So, on Episode 2 of The Celebrity Apprentice the task was to design a comic character that represented the company culture and great customer service of Zappos.com.  We also had to write a marketing plan for how the character would be used (that was not shown on the episode). What was particularly interesting for me to watch last night was the footage of the men’s team because I never really got to see the men’s team in action except in boardrooms.  The show is giving me some insight into what was going on on the other side of the aisle for sure.  It is so interesting to see how the events during the task express themselves in the boardroom.

Now let me just say that I found the boardrooms to be the most interesting and useful part of my experience on the show from a strategic standpoint.  It is in the boardroom that you really get to see the team dynamics, not just of the other team but of your team as well. At some point if you succeed in the game you will have the teams combined and be on a team with some people who are against you at the moment.  So, I watched and listened very carefully during the boardrooms, mainly to get Trump’s perspective on the boys, to see who Trump liked and didn’t like. I wanted to get a bead on who was competent, who was causing problems, who was well liked, etc. just in case I made it far enough in the game where it would matter.  What seemed clear by this point in the game was that Dennis Rodman was causing problems on the team, Herschel Walker was very competent, and Jesse James seemed to me to be the superstar of the team.  I think a bunch of people in the game kind of thought that Jesse was just laying back and trying to fly under the radar.  But I was noticing that he never seemed to have a bit of criticism slung his way and that the parts of the task he was responsible for always seemed to come out excellently…I mean that truck was kick ass and, let’s be honest, the design of the boys’ comic character and costume was much, much better than the girls’ and that was Jesse’s part of the task.

The other thing that seemed obvious at this point was that Tom Greene seemed to be causing some problems on his team in terms of having personality conflicts.  Scott obviously had a huge problem with Tom and Herschel seemed to have issues with him as well.  But, Tom also brought in a ton of money on the first episode and was the most vocal about using a Z in the name of the character for the Zappos challenge.  And he was right.  Clearly Scott did not want to hear it from him and Scott definitely needs to be faulted for that.  Whatever personality issues you have with a person, when they are right you have to be able to acknowledge that they are right and put aside your personal differences in favor of success in the business task.  I don’t think there is a place for personal issues in the workplace and that is where Scott really fell down.

Why did Scott Hamilton get fired?  Well, the one thing that seemed to be a no brainer is that if you are designing a comic character to market a site called Zappos.com it should have the letter Z in it somewhere.  As Tom Greene pointed out, EEE is a bra size not the name of a super hero.  Me?  I think it sounds like a well known drug and that, well, doesn’t seem like such a good idea for a super hero name.  The fact is that I think the boys’ comic looked slicker.  The design of the character was kick ass and, frankly, better than ours.  I never did see their marketing plan so I can’t compare those but on look and feel alone the boys would have won.  But that name.  That name killed them.  So whoever decided on that name had to be fired.  Tom, as disruptive as he might have been, was screaming from the mountaintops that the name should start with a Z.  Scott ignored him.  Scott named the character EEE.  Scott got fired.  Exactly the right decision for Donald Trump.

I want to say, though, that I loved Scott Hamilton.  During press week (the week before we started filming) and during the first two tasks I really enjoyed hanging with Scott. He is very funny and he is very, very nice.  In the mornings before the tasks I always gravitated towards him to chat before we started for the day.  So I was sad to see him go because I really enjoyed his company.  He is truly an awesome human being.

Anyway, on to an inside view of what was happening on the women’s team on this task.  Obviously, Team Athena won in the end but getting there definitely had its bumps.  When Khloe was appointed project manager, she did not immediately take the role on well.  For the first few hours of the task she did not take control of the room, mainly in the sense that she did not divide us up into smaller groups.  There were basically three parts to this task:  the first was to design the look and feel of the character, the second was to write the character’s life story and write the comic book itself, and the third was to develop a marketing plan for the character for Zappos.com.  Obviously, the first order of business should have been to divide us up into three groups and that was not happening so instead everyone was screaming over each other to try to get their idea to be heard. Ugh.  It was total chaos and we had deadlines to meet and time was slipping away bigtime.

One of the issues was that Tony Hseih from Zappos was really clear that the character was supposed to be about customer service and company culture.  Zappos is not about shoes just like Amazon.com is not about books even though it started off as a book seller.  Hseih could not have been clearer on this issue that he does not think of Zappos as a shoe company but a service company.  In fact, their slogan is “Powered by Service.”

Claudia really seemed to understand that and veered away from any story that had to do with magic shoes or anything like that.  She suggested a girl who had a drab and dreary life because of bad customer service who is transformed into Mizz Z who’s mission is to deliver great customer service to the world.  I felt like Claudia had the best ideas and asked Khloe if she could divide us into groups.  I also told her that I thought Claudia really wanted to be on the writing team and that I would love to be on that part of the team as well (since I am not artistic).  Khloe agreed that Claudia had the best ideas for the writing, divided us into groups, and everything started to go really smoothly after that, well everything except that Joan got her nose out of joint that she wasn’t doing the writing.  The way it ended up was that Joan, Tionne and Natalie did the design stuff.  Claudia, Melissa, me and Brande did the writing and then we all worked on the marketing stuff too (obviously, with Khloe contributing to and overseeing all of that).

The design team went off to the costume place in Brooklyn and Me, Brande, Khloe, Melissa and Claudia stayed to do the amrketing materials, write the story and the 4 panels and produce the take away materials.  Claudia got sick around 8 pm and, despite what they showed on the show, I was not upset with her going home.  What I was usept with was that the desing team went home at 8 pm.  They finished the costume stuff and did not come back.  Now Khloe told them they didn’t have to come back when they asked her.  But still, they asked to go home and I was really pissed about it because we worked right down to the last minute and needed the help.  The complaints from me are actually about that.

I think Claudia did a good job on creating the skeleton of the story.  Melissa wrote the actual panels and did an amazing job, adding some very funny details like when the girl wakes up after being sucked into the computer she has the Z key from the computer stuck in her hair. Melissa also came up with the new slogan, “It’s not just a Dream.  It’s Zappos.com.”  I think that slogan is awesome and Zappos should use it.

Brande was a total superstar on this challenge.  We had all these marketing materials to create and we were having trouble finding a printer who could produce them.  We wanted to provide a mousepad with the character on it, create poster boards of the panels, create a little take away comic book for the presentation and some other ancillary materials like word finds and an example of a blog and such for the Mizz Z blogosphere.  We couldn’t do that without a printer and Brande managed to find a printer last minute through her connections who was willing to work through the night to get the job done.  That is why you see me and Brande running around the streets of New York to pick up all those materials and put the packets together.

I think after Khloe took control of the room, she ended up doing a fantastic job as project manager and really got the job done. Rough start but great ending.

One thing they didn’t show was hoe amazing Natalie Gulbis was on this challenge.  She did amazing research on the company before we went into the meeting with Tony Hseih and was really responsible for us knowing in advance that the shoes were not what he wanted to hear about.  She worked her ass off on the previous challenge as well and I am kind of sad that that is not coming through on the show yet.  She really was very committed and did an amazing job on both challenges and I wish that was showing through more.

Now, on a closing note, I guess I have to address the fact that Joan Rivers called me an idiot. I don’t really have  a response except to say that it was not my decision who did the writing in the room.  It was Khloe’s.  I asked Khloe if Claudia and I could write.  Khloe could have said no. khloe made the decision based on the ideas that were being expressed in the room, not based on past writing credits or Emmy nominations or whatever.  I understand that joan wanted to write.  I get that she thinks I am an idiot. But her ideas about the character were not as good as Claudia;s at the point that the decision had to be made.  Did I nudge Khloe to make a decision and get that room divided up?  Absolutely.  It was necessary to stop the chaos.  Did I in any way insist that Joan not be writing, as Joan clamed in the boardroom?  Of course not.

They really didn’t show the full force of the attack on me in the board room. Joan really jumped on me in that room and was clearly very upset that she did not get to write anything and blamed it firmly on me.  I was shocked by that since I did not know prior to that how upset she was.  When Khloe had divided people up Joan did not speak up then.  She saved it for the boardroom. The other thing they did not show was that Brande Roderick defended me in that boardroom.  She was upset that I was being attacked when Joan had gone home at 8 pm and we had stayed right up until that 11 pm deadline and Brande and I had been running around to get the printing finished earlier than the other people on the team in the morning.  It was nice to know that at least one women on that team liked me because I was really feeling at that point that no one liked me on that team at all.  I felt like I had no idea how to talk to these women and it was not going to get better and that no one on that team was getting me, was getting that I just really wanted our team to win.

I remember that after that boardroom, when I got back to my hotel room, I called up Joe and was just practically in tears.  I told him that I didn’t care at that point if I got fired because the women all hated me and I didn’t know how to fix it.  I told him I thought I would do better on the boys’ team (remember I hadn’t seen any of the footage of what a mess they were!) because maybe I could talk to the men better and they might understand me better. To Joe’s credit, he calmed me down by the end of the talk, assured me I would figure it out and got me back into the mindset of wanting to win the game.  I had my brief meltdown and then Joe got me over it 

So watch next week to see if I figure out how to get along with everyone better.  Sunday will be a one hour episode but then the following Saturday they are going to show a two hour version of the episode which I hear is really funny so definitely try to check out the extended version!

http://www.annieduke.com/2009/03/episode-2-of-celebrity-apprentice-the-boys-name-their-character-after-a-drug/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »
An interview with Scott Hamilton:

Apprentice Castoff Scott Hamilton: I'm "Absolutely Grateful" for the Experience

Scott Hamilton has no regrets about participating in NBC's Celebrity Apprentice (Sundays, 9pm/ET). Although his elimination came early, in week two, Hamilton called it a life experience he's "absolutely grateful for." TVGuide.com checked in with the Olympic gold medalist to find out how it was to work with some interesting personalities, who should've been fired, and why he decided to take on Trump's tasks on television.

TVGuide.com: What happened?
Scott Hamilton: My strategy was never to be project manager, especially on a marketing task, so early in the game. When your name comes up from your team and they're looking at you, if you say no, there's blood in the water. They're going to smell it and jump all over you. I felt somewhat trapped, so I did it and I thought I'd make the most of it, and I tried to pull these guys together as a team. I did the best that I could, I made the error that cost our team the win, but when I look back on everything, we were really close.

TVGuide.com: Why didn't you use the letter Z for your Zappos comic character?
Hamilton: It was a typo. [Laughs] No, we should've and looking back on it, we were in the throes of everything, you're tired, you're trying to make these deadlines, you're worn out and I made this goofy decision. It was my decision to go with the whole E thing, but, except for Tom, anyone could've stood up and said, "Why don't we put a Z in front of it?" We were over an hour late and they said we're not leaving the room until we have a name. I looked at my notes from Mr. Shea and it's like, you can get everything, they'll go everywhere to get it, and they'll do it every time. That's what they're trying to get across. So we're staring at all the Es and we had a little tagline at the end — Because E puts the ease in E-commerce — and I thought that was kind of cool. But without the Z to support Zappos, I was hung out to dry.

TVGuide.com: How hard was it managing Tom Green?
Hamilton: Tom was putting on a show and from the second we got into that war room, he was working me. It's his comedy, he makes people uncomfortable. I like Tom, I have nothing but love for Tom, it's just in that particular case, I wish they would have shown how he kept going back to his same idea ad nauseum, to the point where I couldn't listen to him anymore. By the time he started coming up with suggestions that were probably something I should've listened to, it was over. He wore me out. If you're familiar with Tom's style of comedy, you know he creates chaos, creates discomfort, creates nuttiness.

TVGuide.com: And what about Dennis Rodman?
Hamilton: Dennis was with me the whole time, helped me come up with the schedule and was very helpful. The first episode they showed him laying on the couch, they showed Dennis going off. He worked his tail off, they never showed that. They didn't really tell the tale of Dennis as well as they could have.

TVGuide.com: What made you want to do Celebrity Apprentice in the first place?
Hamilton: They ask Bill Cosby why he had children and he said, "Because it seemed like a really good idea at the time." I thought I can bring a sense of kindness, it would be fun and I could get my charity out in front of people, talk about cancer, and hopefully drive some funds toward cancer research through the Cleveland Clinic.

TVGuide.com: So no regrets?
Hamilton: Why have regrets? I didn't stab anybody in the back, my issues with Tom were upfront, and I spoke about them from my perspective as best I could. I'm still here, I'm really happy, I've got a great life and I'm okay. How many people get the opportunity to get fired by Donald Trump? So that's one I can put on my list of life experiences I'm absolutely grateful for.

TVGuide.com: What's up next for you?
Hamilton: I have a book, The Great Eight. I've been trying to be 100 percent dad, I got a 14-month-old and 5-year-old, they're unbelievable kids, and I've got a great wife, so life's good. I'm raising a lot of money for cancer. Another thing about my early dismissal was that my cancer benefit was scheduled to be five days after the final episode was shot in New York. We raised over a million dollars for cancer research, so ultimately [if I had stayed, I would have won] $250,000. Or... I could raise over a million by being engaged in my event. So it all kind of worked out perfectly.

TVGuide.com: Will you be heading over to the Winter Olympics?
Hamilton: Yes, I'll be doing Vancouver 2010. It will be my sixth Olympics as a broadcaster. Torino was my favorite Olympics by far and we have pretty much the same crew coming back to Vancouver. I can't wait.

TVGuide.com: Anyone you're rooting for?
Hamilton: Honestly, it's a crazy sport right now with the new scoring system and it's hard to wrap your head around who's going to be dominant this time. All you can do is see where the momentum is headed and see who's having a great year. I don't really love the new scoring system but the performances and the athletes and their stories are wonderful, so that really gets great coverage.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Apprentice-Castoff-Interview-1003849.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »

CELEBRITY APPRENTICE OUSTER: SCOTT HAMILTON SPEAKS

Can you believe you were out of the game so early?
I would have liked to have stayed longer. It was totally against my strategy to be a project manager that early, and I would have never taken on a marketing task. You’re so vulnerable to the client and opinions, not like a fundraising task.

You were assigned to create a superhero for Zappos.com. How did you wind up naming yours “EEE?”
We were over an hour late presenting a name, and the producers told us they weren't leaving the room until we did. And we had nothing. I kind of went with knowing it was quirky and weird, but thinking e-commerce, you’ve got the E in there. All I needed to do was put a “Z” in front of those three “E”s and we would have won, I truly believe that.

Do you think Tom was really the downfall of your task?
He was performing. Look at the way he is in the billboards, he’s in a devil’s costume; he’ll do anything to win this game. He’s known for being out of control, and he pretty much was. We were all pretty much in agreement that the hero should be a female character, and he kept presenting the same idea, this Zorro character on a horse. He pretty much wore me out with that.

Have you and Tom made up?
I have nothing but love for Tom Green. As we came out of the boardroom, I told him, “Please tell the guys I’m sorry I let them down, and I’ll see you in L.A.” when it was over, it was over. I harbor no ill feelings.

Will you still shop at Zappos.com?
I never have, but now that I know the brand is out there, it’s really cool, I think I’ll check it out.

Who do you think will win?
Hard to say. Just on who won last year, Piers Morgan, the way he won was being kind of mean. In that regard, I think Joan Rivers has set herself up for that role. Joan being a tough New Yorker, I think she’ll go really far in the game.

Celebrity Apprentice airs Sunday at 9 p.m. on NBC.

http://www.okmagazine.com/blog/post/12458/Celebrity-Apprentice-Ouster:-Scott-Hamilton-speaks!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
Claudia Jordan's Blog:

CLAUDIA JORDAN'S CELEB APPRENTICE BLOG!

The Celebrity Apprentice's Claudia Jordan is taking over Monday's columns to recap the show. Claudia, fire away! 

"Just finished watching the second episode of Celebrity Apprentice, and I must say it was so interesting to see how the editors and producers put it all together.

I was on Team Athena with the rest of the women. After winning last week’s task we wanted to show that it was more than just a fluke – we’re a force to be reckoned with!

Creating that comic book character and a costume for the online shopping site Zappos.com. should have been easy, but when you gather eight different personalities in a room with super egos, something that should take an hour took about eight with six hours spent talking about nothing.

I then had an epiphany and shared my idea with my group.

As we fleshed out the character, Donald Trump Jr. came in our room to check on our team and asked who came up with the idea for our character. Melissa Rivers immediately claimed credit and said "It was me!"

I was shocked, but bit my tongue. While I did want Mr. Trump to be aware that I was working hard and contributing creatively, I had to chose my battles. At one point Joan Rivers leaned over to me and whispered, "You better speak up, they are trying to steal your idea," they being Annie Duke and Melissa.

At the end of the night I started to get severe chills. My throat closed up and I could barely swallow. I held back the tears and kept working; I did NOT want to leave my team.

With an hour or two left before quitting time, several of my teammates demanded that I go home and get rest so I would be okay to deliver the presentation the next morning.

I kept pleading that I still wanted to work – I didn't want to later be accused of not being a team player. At one point a prescription had to be called in for me and I had to take antibiotics because doctors thought I had some sort of infection in my chest.

I was stuffed up and had a fever, chills, sore throat and a huge swollen gland in my throat. 

My teammates were concerned that I was contagious and I was sent home. I said I didn't want to but that I also didn't want to infect my team as well. I hated to leave my team, but they insisted.

What you didn't see on television was that I had made bets and told the girls that we were going to win three challenges in a row. So even though I left, I felt that we were going to be okay.

But once again, Annie was very overbearing and bossy. She can't possibly be listening to others if she is talking that much!

In my opinion, she's very immature in the way she relates to other women. It was a constant battle with her and that was energy wasted where we could have used it elsewhere.

Good communication is so vital to being successful when it comes to dealing with others, and I’m proud that I can talk to people without disrespecting them.

I got myself together so I didn't look too sick the day of the presentation, but I absolutely was.

I was light-headed, dizzy, weak and nauseous from all the cold medicine and antibiotics in my system.

Joan and Melissa were absent on the day of our presentation. They had prior engagements and had the day off, so I really felt the added pressure.

There were quite a few times that team members were absent for various reasons. When this would happen the rest of us had to do our best to step up.

I definitely stumbled a bit during the presentation, but made a few jokes to clean it up a bit.

I was pretty relieved when it was over, but was also disappointed by my performance and wished I hadn't gotten sick. 

I am radio host and I have done stand up comedy a couple times and I knew if I had been 100% I could have really knocked the ball out of the park.

But there was nothing else I could do at that point but sit and wait for the results.

Tensions were building between Melissa and I because I felt she blatantly disrespected the others and I by outright stealing credit for my idea and constantly talking over everyone else. I’m really big on respect. My mother raised me to show that to others, so I’m constantly conscious of it.

Luckily, Khloe Kardashian spoke up and said, "Actually it was Claudia who came up with the skeleton, and we built from that." Redemption! And I didn't have to be the bad guy, nice!

Joan and Annie started to not be on the best of terms in this episode as well. Annie really rubbed Joan the wrong way by shunning her out of writing the script.
Annie was behaving like the project manager, again, when she wasn't. That started a real rift between the two.

My team doesn’t always pay attention to some of our members who had lots of life experience to draw from. T-Boz owns a successful store in Atlanta. At times I felt I was sticking up for her. You really have to fight to get heard.

But in the boardroom the men clearly weren't getting along. They had some serious teamwork issues, and it made our tension seem almost civil in comparison.

My team won and avoided having to go to the boardroom and tear each other apart. Then men went at it and in the end Scott Hamilton was fired. It was pretty obvious he and Tom Green did not like each other.

Thanks for visiting, and please check back next Monday for more behind the scenes of the show!"

xoxo,

Claudia

http://www.okmagazine.com/blog/post/12393/Claudia-Jordan's-Celeb-Apprentice-blog!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »
Video: Good Interview

Celeb Apprentice: Brande Roderick with tvguides Hollywood 411

Former Playboy Playmate Brande Roderick has taken on the Donald in this season's CELEBRITY APPRENTICE.

She tells stories of Joan Rivers' kindness and bites her lip about teammate Annie Duke.

She also tells us about her start project!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjUat-U14Xw

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »

THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE 2

Episode: 6

04-05-2009

The talents of the celebrities are put to the test as they write, produce and edit a viral video for ALL Small and Mighty Laundry Detergent. Both teams push the boundaries, despite the ALL executives’ warnings. Egos clash as a renegade project manager shuns their team and goes it alone. Harmony prevails on the other team, but a last-second decision puts their video in jeopardy as they blur the lines of good taste. A heated boardroom concludes with a shocking result, and Trump’s decision surprises everyone.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »

Hamilton green with envy that Green’s still on ‘Apprentice’

Not that he’s still carrying a grudge or anything, but it only took one question about Tom Green for Scott Hamilton to talk about his bearded foe on The Celebrity Apprentice for six minutes.

The Olympic gold medal figure skater was ousted from The Donald’s show for his lack of imagination in the comic book challenge, and was quick to blame Green – as he did on the show – for his own misfortunes.

TVGuide.ca: What was harder for you, competing in the Olympics for a gold medal, or working with Tom Green?
Scott Hamilton: [Laughs.] The stakes are higher at the Olympics, so I’ll go with the Olympics. I’ve got nothing but love for Tom. We definitely butted heads on that task, and I was hoping that the final edit…I think that the editing is done to support Mr. Trump’s decision. I knew then that my position would come off to the TV audience as much weaker than Tom’s.

Tom’s great. We sat next to each other next in the initial production meeting, we have shared ailment, and I found him to be a very entertaining and sweet guy.

TVG: Did you really feel as though he didn’t bring anything helpful to the table?
SH: He kept coming back to this Zorro character on a horse or on a motorcycle, and he’s running around the room putting on this show for everybody. And he just kept coming back to it. And we’d laugh, because it was funny. Maybe we shouldn’t have laughed. Then we would go around the room again for ideas, and Tom would pitch Zorro again! He was just so full of energy that he was shaking.

Tom, I think, was there to play a game and not work. I got that from his sound bites and interviews, where he said he would say or do anything. I felt that he was putting on a show to draw attention to himself.

Some people were really working hard, and I just became very suspicious of everything that he did.

There were two things that Tom said in the boardroom that really bothered me. One was that I asked to be the Project Manager. Not true. They suggested that I do it. The other thing that he said that bothered me was… that we had 15 minutes to come up with a name and that I wouldn’t listen to him. Well, that wasn’t true.

We presented half a dozen names [for the Zappo character] and none of them could get cleared. We were an hour over the time limit to put our name in and we had NOTHING. The only thing I had in front of me were the E’s for Everything, Everytime, Everywhere. They wanted quirky, and it was quirky.

TVG: Who do you think has a chance to win on the guy’s side?
SH: The most talented guys, I think, are Jesse and Clint. Clint’s been my friend for a long time, and I love him to death. When I looked at Jesse, and saw all of the creative stuff that he could do with regard to wrapping the cupcake truck, and the comic book character costume, and with Photoshop, I was like, “What don’t you know a little bit about?”

TVG: Tell me a little bit about the charity you were playing for.
SH: It’s the Cleveland Clinic, the Taussig Cancer Institute. I’ve raised, to date, $10.5 million for the clinic.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Great+Scott/RealityTV/Exit+Interviews/Articles/090313_celebrity_apprentice_GD.htm?isfa=1

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »
An interview with Annie:

For Annie Duke, ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ Is Business, Not Personal

Melissa Rivers doesn’t like her. Nor does Khloe Kardashian. But Donald Trump likes Annie Duke - and that’s all that really matters on The Celebrity Apprentice. What’s the deal with Duke, a busy mother of four as well as the number one female poker player in the world with close to 4 million in tournament winnings? I caught up with Annie to talk about the show before the next round Sunday night on NBC at 8 pm.

In a high stakes poker tournament, words don’t usually make or break the game. Are you surprised by some of the exchanges in the boardroom?
I was definitely surprised by Joan Rivers. If you saw the boardroom last week, she just went off on me. I wouldn’t call someone an idiot, like she did. That’s a personal attack. And if that’s what she wants to do, I can’t stop her. I know my work will speak for itself. I feel it’s very much a business game. Not a personal game.

Do you think mixing it up with you was part of her strategy?
I do. Joan was trying to create drama and tension, which make for great television. Joan is really smart. Obviously. You have to be really smart in order to be successful in the entertainment industry for over 40 years. And for that, I completely admire her. On the other hand, in order for her to do well I think that she’s willing to do and say things that I won’t. After Joan attacked me in the boardroom, I mean really attacked me verbally, I went into episode three with a different plan.

What was that?
To be as quiet as I possibly can. At the poker table in order to win you have to be able to change gears. You can start out aggressive, and then when you change gears and quiet down, people still feel you’re playing aggressive because you’ve set a tone. In the first episode I was portrayed as the antagonist, and I really wasn’t. If you noticed, they never had any clips of me saying bad things about anybody else.

Do you feel that sometimes the players get into each other’s faces a little too much?
Definitely. Last season I was horrified by the way Omarosa behaved. She was trying to create controversy by attacking people personally. Watching her put a knot in my stomach. I went in with the goal of never doing that and hope I’ve succeeded. One thing about Joan is that she started making it personal with me from episode one. And that’s the only thing I find upsetting.

What are your feelings about Melissa?
I read some comments she had about me, and I’m not bothered by them. I definitely had a different approach to this game than most. Melissa did a remarkable job with the comic book and gave us a great slogan. I separate personal feelings from the “business” that is the game we’re playing. I would never allow somebody’s personal feelings to get in the way of the work. That’s what I think did Scott Hamilton in.

How so?
Scott didn’t listen to Tom Green’s ideas, which were good. Instead Scott’s personal feelings got in the way of accepting Tom’s good ideas. Scott’s really nice and with his group, and being the project manager, one would have to create some waves in order to gain control of them, and he couldn’t do that.

While we’re on the topic of “You’re Fired”, did you think Donald made the right decision in episode one when he fired Dice instead of Herschel?
Trump definitely made the right decision, and to tell you the truth, I think that was the decision Dice Clay wanted. I don’t think his goal was to win the game. I think his goal was to be in that room, make some noise and be “Dice Clay.” People are being much too harsh on him. I’ve read where he’s been called a “buffoon” or “being delusional” and I don’t think that’s true at all. He accomplished exactly the goal he set out to on the show. He did a brilliant job; he got the maximum amount of people talking about him for the minimum amount of time he was there. I have a very different view of him than most people. He made things compelling, not a lot of people are going to complain on television to Donald Trump that there are no bagels and coffee being served.

Being the number one poker player in the world, you assess people for a living. Going into the game, who did you think the main competition would be?
I thought Scott would do well. But it just goes to show that until you see someone play the game, you can’t assess them. By the time episode two is done, it was really obvious to me that on the boys’ team, I needed to worry about Herschel Walker and Jesse James. It was clear that as quiet as Jesse was, he was getting the job done. That look he created with the comic book character was amazing. If the task had been judged solely on look and feel, they would have won easily. I worried about Herschel because he runs a successful business and he obviously knows how, as seen in episode one, to raise money.

Who did you think would bring the competition on the ladies’ team?
Pretty quickly I had my eye on Brande and Joan. I felt they were going to do well. Joan, obviously because she’s Joan Rivers. And Brande because I thought, “What a good story she is.” Here’s this woman who is drop-dead gorgeous, and then you find out she’s super-smart, super-confident and a kick ass chick. It’s completely anachronistic. But that’s my opinion now that I know her. If I had judged her on first impression only, I would have thought, “Playboy bunny, model, whatever…” On Apprentice it’s important to figure out their strengths and weaknesses as you see them doing the task. That’s why it’s a huge disadvantage to be Project Manager in the early stages. You haven’t had time to figure out people’s strengths and weaknesses.

In your eyes, who isn’t bringing the competition?
After two weeks I’d have to say Dennis. I’m not saying he’s doing bad work or he’s a weak player; it’s more that he’s disrupting his team and not contributing a lot. But let me make it clear, that’s who Dennis Rodman is. I’m not slamming him, it’s just who he is. He’s a controversial guy, highly recognizable, and he’s very interesting to watch on TV.

Last week some of your team thought you were trying to take control, what really happened?
I was being realistic. Last week when I suggested to Khloe that we break up into groups, it was because nothing was getting done and I thought breaking us up would help move things faster. I wasn’t trying to take control, just win our task. I’m a focused person and that can lead to problems sometimes. That’s why I said in my private interview I wanted to be on the men’s team. I thought they had it all together. In the beginning I had a really hard time communicating with my team. In my job that I do every day, which is poker, everybody that I deal with is male. I think that men are very direct with each other and women go sideways at each other. I thought I would relate better to the men. But – that was before I saw them in action.

What did you think after you saw the men?
Train wreck. A complete train wreck. Watching the episode I was thinking, “Thank God I’m not on that team.”

How did you deal with the conflicting personalities on you team?
After the first task, I spoke to my boyfriend (actor and professional poker player; Joe Reitman) on the phone and he really calmed me down. I was saying to him, “Outside of Brande, all these women hate me and I don’t know how to talk to them. We don’t communicate right; I just don’t know what to do.”

What advice did he give?
He told me, “Look, you play games for a living. When you’re at a poker table and things aren’t going your way, you figure out a way to fix it.” That helped, along with him saying that he was going to get on a plane and come to New York. I was thinking “Well, if things keep going this way with me and my team, at least Ican go home at night and hug my boyfriend.”

With the way you rule the card table, I assume there was some preparation on your part before filming began.
When I found out I was going to be on, I got copies of every episode from last year. I’m a games player and when you present me with a game, I’m going to come up with a strategy to try and beat the game. I watched every episode, pausing and analyzing what had just happened. I also looked carefully at the errors people made while doing their tasks, the way they talked to Trump, and how they treated their Project Managers.

That’s incredibly detailed preparation.
It’s who I am. I remember making a mathematical analysis of how much money I felt was needed to be raised - based on how much money got raised the previous season - and then saying to Joe, “I’m nervous, do you think I’m going to do well on the show?” He said, “Are you kidding me? Do you really think the other people are doing anything at all like this?”

No wonder you’re the number one female poker player in the world. And while we’re on the subject, I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask you which poker game you’d recommend for a beginner?
That would be Limit Hold ‘Em. Simply because you can’t lose your whole stack, it’s a great way to learn the flow of Hold ‘Em, which is the most popular game. The rules aren’t very complicated and it’s easy to learn and follow. Also, with Limit Hold ‘Em, the bets are less and for a small investment it’s the best game to learn from. And - it’s the game I started on.

Lastly, you make a lot of money gambling with cards, but what do you know about sports gambling? Like, which team does Annie Duke think will win the NBA finals this year?
Boston Celtics. Growing up in New Hampshire you become forever loyal to a team when Larry Bird is on it. I live in Los Angeles now and L.A. is a Laker town, for sure. But don’t forget that the Celtics kicked the Lakers ass last year!

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/tv-news/for-annie-duke-celebrity-apprentice-is-business-not-personal/

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:15 AM »
What an episode last night!!! I was shocked...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:22:15 AM by TexasLady »
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »

THE 13 REMAINING CONTESTANTS ON NBC'S "THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE" ARE TASKED WITH CREATING A LIVE EVENT IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS THIS SUNDAY, MARCH 22 (9-11 P.M. ET)

NBC Press Release

After the men's team lost for the third week in a row which resulted in the firing of comedian Tom Green, the pressure builds and the celebrities are losing their cool on "The Celebrity Apprentice." In the upcoming episode airing Sunday, March 22 (9-11 p.m. ET) the remaining 13 contestants prepare for their next challenge -- to create a live event in less than 24 hours -- launching a new video-phone to sales representatives.

The teams are charged with launching ACN's new video-phone to hundreds of sales representatives. Before the task even begins, a heated exchange on the men's team almost comes to blows, ending with one celebrity ripping their microphone off and walking away from the team. On the women's side, a previous engagement sends a vital celebrity out of town and their delayed return puts their team in jeopardy. Both project managers are accused of misusing their team members' talents. An exciting live event ends with one team on top, and in the board room Donald Trump sends another celebrity packing.

Clint Black, Annie Duke, Natalie Gulbis, Jesse James, Claudia Jordan, Khloe Kardashian, Brian McKnight, Joan Rivers, Melissa Rivers, Brande Roderick, Dennis Rodman, Herschel Walker and Tionne Watkins are the remaining celebrities still vying to be The Celebrity Apprentice.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
Annie Duke's Blog:

Episode 3 of Celebrity Apprentice: Changing Gears

I am at San Jose playing the Bay 101 WPT Shooting Stars event.  I finished the WSOP Academy this weekend and then got a plane with Andy Bloch, John Juanda, The Bingers, Mike Matusow and Chad Brown.  I rushed to my hotel after we landed, met Joe at my hotel (he met me here from LA yay!) and then we ran out to dinner since we were both super hungry.  The service was so slow that it took us forever to get our food so I actually missed the first 20 minutes of Apprentice tonight…grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  But I blog on anyway like the tropper I am, lol.

So, I want to talk about the boys’ team first because they were much, much more interesting this week than the girls.

Holy crap!  There…that is my whole blog about the men’s team on this challenge.  Seriously. Holy crap!

Okay…so obviously we don’t get to see what is happening over on the KOTU side during the actual taping of the show so imagine our surprise when we got in the boardroom and found out Rodman hadn’t even shown up for the day of the selling and that Tom Green, as project manager, had gone out drinking the night before with Rodman and was late to his own challenge.  Watching it on TV I felt really bad for Herschel having to wander from bar to bar with Rodman when Herschel doesn’t even drink.  That look nightmarish and I think there is going to more footage of that in the 2 hour version on Saturday.  I am definitely going to watch that longer episode with rapt interest.

So, Rodman doesn’t even show up the day of, claiming a dog allergy or a cat allergy or something (he kept changing the story) but I am pretty sure it was just a hangover or an allergy to vodka cranberry lol.  I am not even sure if Rodman raised any dough for the men.  It seemed like a logical firing to me (obviously since I bet Brande) but I was wrong because I didn’t know till right at the end that Tom had not even raised any money as PM.  I think it was a big mistake to to be PM on a money raising challenge and not raise money yourself.  From last season I had seen that was an almost sure way to get fired.  I was so surprised Tom raised no money because he had raised a ton of money on the first challenge.  But he may have blown all his resources right away.  Tom said, as a defense in the boardroom, that he was taking a non-traditional approach to being project manager.  I guess by non-traditional he meant letting Rodman wander around the NYC bar scene, then joining him late into the night the day of your challenge and not raising any money on a money raising challenge.  Yes, non-traditional, but not the perfect recipe for sticking aorund in the game.

I think Trump had a tough choice between Rodman and Tom.  Do you fire the guy who doesn’t even show up?  Who should have been put in a wedding dress to promote the event and bring in business since that is what he is already famous for?  The guy who refuses to answer the door when his PM is trying to get him up in the morning?  Or do you fire the project manager who defends that guy?  Who enables the behavior by going out and drinking late into the night?  Who shows up late himself, hungover?  And who raises no money?  I think that whichever way Trump had gone on this one he would not have been wrong.  I mean who else on the men’s team would you fire?  Clint who brought in $35K? Herschel who not only raised a ton of money but was forced into the baby sitting role for Rodman?  Brian and Jesse who did nothing wrong and worked hard the whole challenge?  I mean, just the fact that they showed up should save them from being fired.  So Tom or Dennis.  Flip a coin.  Trump chose Tom.  Right choice.  But I would say the same thing about Rodman too.

So, Team Athena.

Okay.  So I am hardly in this show…yay!  After the last two shows I was really happy to be in the background.  That was actually part of my strategy.  I wanted to come out early and get noticed by Trump which I felt was very important since I am definitely one of the least well-known people on the show.  Because of that I wanted to make a little noise, backed up with hard work and fundraising of course, right away.  But I also planned ahead of time to change gears after accomplishing that goal and lay back for a while.  I mean work hard, raise money, but put my head down.  In poker changing gears is a very important concept.  If you establish a loose, crazy image you can leverage that to your advantage by changing gears for a bit and playing tighter. Or vice-versa.  Players at the table will still give you credit for being wild and will misplay you because of it since it takes them a while to see the gear change.  In most games changing gears is a very important strategic play and this was my first chance to execute that. I was planning to do that on the Zappos challenge but the chaos in the room really forced me to make the choice between risking losing the task or sticking my nexk out to get Khloe to step up and divide up the room.  I chose the latter, pissed people off in the process (particular Joan) but Athene won the challenge so I feel like I made the right choice there.  But now I had a chance to do what I meant to do in task 2 and lay back.

First, I was really happy Brande was project manager on this one because she and I had really bonded by this point and were good friends.  I might have even nudged her a little in the direction of PM (wink wink) but in doing so I promsied her a would raise a ton of money for her.  Having Brande as PM was really going to help with with my no conflict strategy for the episode.  Plus, I just really wanted Brande to get the W because I was very much rooting for her by that point.

Natalie Gulbis (another player I was totally rooting for) and I spent most of this challenge together.  I had lunch with Natalie this weekend and she told me that Brande had asked her to go off with me to do the task of geting the flyers designed, printed up and handed out around NYC because, as Brande put it, Natalie was the only one who didn’t hate me!  Ha ha!  Very smart move, Brande, because that was true at that point.  I think Natalie and Brande WERE the only ones who thought I had some redeeming qualities! That I was just too direct and too tough and too head strong for my own good but that I also worked hard and really cared about keeping my team out of the boardroom and had no ill intentions or mean spiritedness to what I was doing.  I love those chicks and I love that Brande saw what was happening and sent me off with someone who I had a good relationship with.

Natalie and I went off as a team and took care of the flyers and the printing and what not (of course fundraising all the while by making phone calls).  When we first went off to go to the printer Natalie and I had a great chat where I was talking about how most of my team hated me.  I said at the time that my main goal right then was to figure out how to not piss everyone off (particularly because I actually liked the people on my team at that point in the game).  I wanted to be a TEAM.  It was hard (even if it was part of my strategy) to feel such animosity and I really worked this whole episode on just trying to repair relationships.  It was a good lesson for me to learn how to soften up my communication and learn to come at people a little more sideways rather than right directly in their faces and I think I really grew a lot in that way. Changing gears really worked out well for me here. Not only was it personally important to me but also strategically key.

Natalie and I also had some amazing personal conversations about being women sports figures.  I mean, obviously, she plays an actual sport and I play a “sport” but we have a lot in common in that way in terms of that and it was really nice to talk with someone who lived a similar life.  Natalie is a really sweet girl but she is also really together on her career and how she manages that and her business life.  She is so sharp about that.  Impressive, really. I also got to learn about how she started playing golf. Her family didn’t have money and her dad used to work nights.  He was an avid golfer so the only way that Natalie really got to spend quality time with him was to go out and play golf with him whenever she could.  It became clear pretty early that she was super talented and her family started focusing on nurturing her golf.  She played her first pro event as a teenager!  So crazy.

Anyway.

Phew! Because this week was just about fundraising, I knew I could lay back more this episode because I had no opinion about how to sell wedding dresses and I knew this episode was just about making phone calls to raise money.  That I knew I could do…quietly and with my head down.  So I immediately called my friend, Perry Friedman.  He is in a really serious relationship with his girlfriend, Robyn, and I thought now there is a guy who needs a wedding dress!  Perry lives on the west coast so I called him and he booked the red eye to get there in time to by a $10K dress for Robyn (who looked beautiful!).  Perry also tried a dress on because he was acting as proxy for my friends Rafe Furst and his fiance Laura (who just got married in March.  Congratulations!) so he needed to buy them a dress too.  Rafe was traveling around Europe but he agreed to buy a $5K wedding dress and Perry was nice enough to front him the dough (they are good friends).  Perry looked ravishing, by the way. I brought in another $20K on top of that for a total of $35K…Mission accomplished!  No arguments.  Raised lots of money.  Done.

Brande Raised a ton of money herself and did a great job as project manager.  Unlike the chaos of the beginning of the previous Zappos task, Brande assigned jobs right away (I was her secretary to start!) and that made the task so calm.  Joan missed the first day but she and Melissa got Preston Bailey to come and fix up our space to great effect.  The space was really pretty (particularly compared to the boys’ space which looked like a warehouse).  Everything was just super calm leading up to the actual sales day.

On the sales day, Melissa and Tionne were total superstars, working with all the girls who came in to try on the dresses.  they were in the dressing rooms, kneeling on the floor, as these brides to be tried on like 10 or 20 dresses each.  They were both exhausted from doing that all day and they were both superstars with that. Natalie got Judith Ripka (the jewelry company) to come donate a jewelry display so the brides could try on jewelry with their dresses.  She also got them to make a pretty nice donation as well.  Khloe brought in really good money, too, by getting her sister Kourtney to come down with a donation.  She obviously was also really good at wrangling the people to come in our store.

Joan and Melissa brought in a $25K check from QVC but I always had a bone of contention with that check.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, totally awesome that Athena got that huge donation.  Amazing for Brande’s charity and I am very grateful to QVC for the check. It was incredibly generous. My problem was that both Joan and Melissa took credit for it.  So Joan said she raised $25K AND Melissa said the same thing.  But that adds up to $50K.  They can’t both take credit for the whole thing, right?  Either Joan raised $25K or Melissa raised $25K or they both raised $12.5K a piece.  I never did figure out which it was because both kept taking credit for it.

One thing that was really interesting for me was to see how much the girls on my team loved this challenge.  I was actually kind of bored to tell you the truth.  Bored because I didn’t see this task as intellectually challenging at all.  I mean it really didn’t matter if we were selling wedding dresses or engine blocks or cupcakes or unicycles.  It was not about promoting the product.  It was about fundraising.  Calling people and getting them to come and donate to charity (which, luckily, my friends are all very eager to do because they are so committed to giving).  But it was irrelevent what the rest of the task was or what specifically we were selling.  That was just window dressing. Or wedding dressing I guess.  So when I was asked about whether or not I liked this challenge in my private interview I said no.  That I had not found it intellectually stimulating at all and was a bit bored (except for the great time I had Natalie).

Now…when we got in the boardroom Trump asked the women what they thought of the challenge and they all declared it was their very favorite one. I thought, “**** I am in trouble.  I am so weird.” I mean I realized right then and there that I am not your normal kind of chick…but it takes a pretty weird lady to play poker for a living so no surprises there anyway.  I just thought it was so funny that I had spent my whole interview complaining about the challenge and it turned out everyone on my team loved loved loved it (I liked the Zappos challenge much better despite the chaos because it was so intellectually satisfying).

Anyway…made it through another week and repaired some relationships in the process!  I am looking forward to watching the longer version of this episode on Saturday to see more of the Rodman/Greene show.  I’ll be back Sunday to give my two cents on the longer version.

As a closing note…yay Perry, Robyn, Rafe and Laura.  I love you guys! xoxo

http://www.annieduke.com/2009/03/episode-3-of-celebrity-apprentice-changing-gears/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Video:

Brande Roderick Fox Sports Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awyt5NKpLNw