Author Topic: "Dancing with Stars" Season 7  (Read 139632 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: "Dancing with Stars" Season 7
« Reply #475 on: November 26, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »

DWTS At Blvd 3 After The Show
Len said he didn’t like Lance at first but he grew on him like a mushroom   :funny:
He said he would like to see Hulk Hogan or any American Idol judge on next season
Len said he would return next season if they ask him
It was Bruno’s birthday yesterday
Maurice’s feet still hurt

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #476 on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »
An interesting article:

Tuesday’s Dancing Finale: What You Didn’t See

Tears of the DWTS Crown: After ten weeks of competition and three months of grueling rehearsals, it’s no wonder emotions ran high on Tuesday night’s finale. “It was really trying,” Burke told PEOPLE, “physically, emotionally, you name it.” Once their names were announced, the usually composed Burke let the tears flow freely. “I think the emotional release was surreal,” a misty-eyed Burke gushed, “While we were standing up there, I said to Derek, ‘I can’t feel my feet!’

She wasn’t the only one crying in the ballroom. As the silver confetti rained down on the reigning DWTS couple, Hough’s girlfriend Shannon Elizabeth proudly snapped photos just offstage and David Charvet took in his fiancée’s crowning moment with tears of joy brimming in his eyes with the couple’s two daughters by his side. “It’s almost like you’re out there with her,” said Charvet. “I had so much faith in her, but I didn’t think that she could achieve what she ended up achieving this year. She bluffed me completely and she continues to leave me speechless.”

A Nail-Biter Til the End: Burke raised the mirror-ball trophy in triumph, but Warren Sapp and Lance Bass made it a tight race to the finish. “Brooke was definitely the best dancer on the show,” pro Karina Smirnoff said, “but the best dancer doesn’t always win on this show, and this season it was really anybody’s game.” “I thought that it was the closest finale ever! ” pro Tony Dovolani added, “There was really no loser tonight. Warren was incredible, and Lance was right there alongside. I had no idea who was going to win tonight, especially after Lance and Lacey took third.”

A Win-Win Situation: Dancing’s resident “Teddy Bear,” Warren Sapp, may have finished second to Burke, but don’t call him a loser. “I may not be walking out without anything,” said Sapp, “but at least the guys that I played with can’t razz me for finishing worse than any other football player.” When it was pointed out that Emmett Smith was the season three champ, Sapp laughed and said, “But I got that ‘10′ from Len, and I said, ‘I can go now!’ I went home, had a nice stiff drink.”

Lance’s Consolation Prize: Bass finished third in the competition, but he had nothing but praise for the winning pair. “I really thought that Brooke and Derek deserved to win,” Bass said after the show. “We couldn’t be happier for her.” Bass and partner Lacey Schwimmer’s consolation prize: performing on the DWTS tour, which the former boy bander referred to as a “vacation.” “I’m excited because the tour will actually be a nice break for us,” he said. “There won’t be people judging you, you’re doing the same dances every night and you’re riding on the tour bus, having fun with your friends.”

More from Inside the Ballroom:

• During the commercial break, the crowd warmer Corey Almeida informed the audience that Tuesday wasn’t just the finale, it was also Bruno Tonioli’s birthday before leading the audience in a rousing, off-key rendition of “Happy Birthday.” With Tonioli standing up for his musical tribute, Carrie Ann Inaba leaned over, paddle in hand and started to gently spank Bruno, who gamely played along. Len Goodman then played the ultimate birthday prank on his good friend, pulling out his “5″ and “3″ paddles, and putting them together to reveal Bruno’s age to the audience. “Bastard!” Tonioli laughed when he realized what Goodman had done, “You’re not supposed to tell anyone!”

• Derek Hough’s mom, Mariann Nelson, shed tears of joy as she watched her son celebrate his win. Hough also received congratulatory hugs and kisses from his sister, two-time Dancing champ Julianne, and roommate and season six champ Mark Ballas. Nelson told PEOPLE that seeing the three longtime pals, who now all have mirror-ball trophies, warmed her heart: “I just remember when they were growing up together. They have been the best of friends and it’s so nice that they now have all won on this show. It’s wonderful.”

• High School Musical star Vanessa Hudgens, who sat next to season six champ Kristi Yamaguchi during Tuesday night’s finale, told PEOPLE “this was my first show ever. It was great.” At one point, Burke’s two daughters rushed over to the HSM star for a meet-and-greet only to get shy when Hudgens bent down to talk to them.

• During a commercial break, Kristi Yamaguchi stood up to ooh and ahh over co-host Samantha Harris’s Kwiat baubles. Harris was also decked out in a custom gown made by Project Runway designer Rami Kashou, who dressed the co-host on both nights of the show.

Link: http://tvwatch.people.com/2008/11/26/tuesdays-dancing-finale-what-you-didnt-see-2/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #477 on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
An interesting article:

Backstage: Smiles, Tears and Reflections from the Winners and More

"Thanksgiving is going to be just a lot of relaxing and quality family time," Brooke Burke said just moments after being named this season's Dancing with the Stars celebrity champ. "My family gave up a lot for me to do this. They gave up so much mommy time." Burke's pro partner, Derek Hough, similarly was happy to be a winner, yet just as thankful to get a deserved (if brief) time-out. "Dude, Thanksgiving is going to be rest," he declared. "Epson salt bath ... maybe a massage.  I have to start rehearsing for the tour on Friday."

Comedian Jeffrey Ross, who as part of Tuesday night's results show pointedly "roasted" his former cast mates, pondered what Burke and Hough could have done better. "Maybe if they had lit themselves on fire and hung from the ceiling," he said. "They got 30s on this show. You're talking to a guy who got a 12."

Derek's father, Bruce Hough, grinned from ear to ear, as the Dad to now two Dancing champs (Julianne included).  "It's so nice to see him rewarded for all the hard work," says the elder Hough. "Derek is a complete worrywart. Before a dance, he goes nuts, trying to figure out what he's going to do, what's going to go wrong, is my partner going to remember the steps?  But once the music starts, he just clocks in and he's great.  He's an absolute pressure player."

As for the runners-up, Warren Sapp — tongue planted firmly in cheek — announced to the press backstage that the show "was rigged," and that he "was robbed."  But he thought he and Kym Johnson had done themselves proud by coming in second and "being the last one standing next to the beautiful one," Brooke Burke. "We're the People's Champion," he said, referring to Len Goodman's assessment that Burke may have won with the judges, but Sapp was the public's favorite. "We'll take that," said Sapp.

As if there wasn't enough cheeky fun to be had in the ballroom on Tuesday, warm-up Cory Almeida announced during a commercial break that it was Bruno Tonioli's birthday.  The crowd singing to him — while Carrie Ann Inaba and Len Goodman swatted the birthday boy's behind with their paddles — was just one of many charming snapshots from the last big night at Dancing with The Stars. A few more:

Before Lance Bass and Lacey Schwimmer did their encore jitterbug — a dance Bass somehow accomplished the first time despite kicking off one of his shoes — Benji Schwimmer, Lacey's brother, called out to him from the crowd:  "Tie your shoes!  Double knots!!"

Laurie Kauffman, Lacey's mom, held court on the secret ingredient in her delicious chocolate chip cookies, which she's been supplying to Lance and Lacey every week. The couple made a habit of eating them before every performance, and Kauffman says that what makes them so good is that she uses a half of a bottle of pure vanilla extract (which has high alcohol content) in every batch.  Informed of that after the show, Bass says, "No wonder we did really good. We were just trashed."

Cloris Leachman reported on her health after a bad upper respiratory infection. "I'm feeling much better and I've lost 11 pounds," she says. "But I gained three back and I ate four Snickers tonight."  Asked why she didn't try to bribe the judges this time for good comments, Leachman cracked, "Screw the judges. That's what I say."

Burke's main man, Baywatch's David Charvet, hugged Derek's main squeeze, former Dancing competitor Shannon Elizabeth. Elizabeth was crying on the sidelines as Hough was showered with confetti. 

Link: http://www.tvguide.com/Dancing-Stars/Backstage-Smiles-Tears-1000239.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #478 on: November 26, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
An interview with Lance and Lacey:

"I feel like we won - I really do"

You both came so close. Are you okay about not winning?
Lance: I feel amazing. What a ride, and a rush. I didn't expect to be here at all, so the finale is an added bonus. I felt the dances were great, and Brooke so deserved to win. We couldn't be happier. I feel like we won — I really do. Just having someone believe in you so much and having America honking at you as they drive by and yell, "I'm voting for you!" is thrilling.
Lacey: It's okay. It's my first season and to be standing in the finals is amazing. We think Brooke should have won and have been rooting for her from the get-go. We thought we'd be going home each wee,k so each week was a celebration if we made it. We are happy to be here and couldn't care less about the placement.

Were you pleased with last night's performance?
Lance: Last night was amazing. I think the finals are like the final exams in school. You show the judges what you have learned and hopefully they like it. I think everyone loved what we did and we did an amazing job. It was just an exciting night. I have goosebumps just thinking about it. We were so happy and it was the best run we had had.
Lacey: That was the only time he did the Samba without a mistake, so …

Was it worth making it this far just to get to do the freestyle? Lance: Yes! From day one, we wanted to make it to the finals to do the hip-hop. It was what our fans had been asking for and we finally got to do it. We hope everyone enjoyed it, because we sure did. Even my grandmother loved it, and Len loved it. I thought he'd give us a seven just because we were doing hip-hop, but who knew one of his favorite songs was "It's Tricky"?
Lacey: I know I loved that. It was really cool that he appreciated Lance was dancing and not doing tricks.
Lance: That's what we wanted.

What have you gotten out of the experience?
Lance: I have lost 15 pounds!
Lacey: He has a new body!
Lance: So I will blow up after next week because I eat like crap and won't be dancing as much. But I got an amazing friend out of this, and a lot of new friends on the show. I have a lot more confidence, which I am so happy with, as there is a lot I didn't believe in myself about. I am just happy.

What's next?
Lance: We'll be in New York after the show and I'll stay there for a week, as I have a speaking engagement in some colleges and stuff. I usually speak about the music industry, but I have a feeling I'll be talking about Dancing With the Stars a lot. And then start rehearsing for the Dancing With the Stars tour.

Will you keep dancing?
Lance: I hope to — just for the exercise.
Lacey: Yes, Lance will be going pro in ballroom dancing and compete across the world!
Lance: Well, ballroom and Latin were a little hard for me, but hip-hop was my favorite, and I think I am going to start classes.
Lacey: Do you want to be class buddies?
Lacey: Yeahhhh!

Link: http://www.intouchweekly.com/2008/11/dancing_with_the_starsi_feel_l.php

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »

ABC Television Network

PRESS RELEASE

ABC OVERNIGHT RATINGS (FOR 11/25)

Quick Take for Tuesday, November 25, 2008

ABC Wins Tuesday in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 with Its Best Numbers on the Night in 1 Year and Draws its Largest Audience on Any Night This Season 

ABC's Annual Telecast of "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" Delivers its Best Performance Ever on ABC Since Premiering on the Net in 2001 

"A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" is Tuesday's No. 1 Program in Kids 2-11 and Ranks as Broadcast TV's Highest-Rated Scripted Telecast Among Kids in Nearly 1 Year

Achieving Season Highs in its Seventh Season Finale, "DWTS the Results Show" Is Tuesday's No. 1 Show in Viewers and Young Adults 

Season Finales of "Dancing with the Stars" and "Dancing with the Stars Results" Stand as the Top 2 Most-Watched Entertainment Telecast of the November Sweep

Tuesday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Building on the previous week's performance for the 2nd consecutive week, ABC's Tuesday lineup won the night in Total Viewers (17.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (4.5/11), marking the Net's largest audience and highest young adult performance with non-sports programming on the night in 1 year - since 11/27/07.  In addition, ABC attracted its biggest audience on any night of the 2008-09 season to date. 

"A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's annual broadcast of "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" attracted its largest audience ever (11.1 million) and matched its highest Adults 18-49 performance (3.4/9) on ABC since its debut on the Network in 2001.  The holiday classic also posted Network highs among Women 18-49 (4.3/11), Women 25-54 (4.7/11) and Kids 2-11 (6.3/19).   

* "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" ranked as Tuesday's No. 1 program in Kids 2-11 and stood as broadcast television's highest rated scripted telecast in the key kids demographic in nearly 1 year - since 12/4/07 with CBS' "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."   

"Dancing with the Stars Results" (9:00-11:00 p.m.)
On its 7th season finale, ABC's "Dancing with the Stars Results" drew an average audience of 20.6 million viewers and a 5.1 rating, 13 share in Adults 18-49.  Actress, host and entrepreneur Brooke Burke was crowned Season 7 champion and awarded the coveted mirror ball trophy.  Opposite stiff sweep competition during its 2-hour broadcast, including CBS' "The Mentalist" at 9:00 p.m. and NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" at 10:00 p.m., the season closer of "Dancing" gained audience throughout its telecast, growing by 3.5 million viewers (18.7 million to 22.2 million) and by 24% in Adults 18-49 (4.5/11 to 5.6/15) from its first half-hour to its final half-hour.  Hitting season highs in its season finale, "Dancing with the Stars Results" stood as Tuesday's No. 1 program in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.

* "Dancing with the Stars Results" was up from its most recent Tuesday finale in Total Viewers (20.1 million on 5/20/08).  In addition, the finale was also up across each of the key men demographics (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54), Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11

* The season finales of "Dancing with the Stars" (21.1 million - 11/24/08) and "Dancing with the Stars Results" (20.6 million - 11/25/08) stand as the Top 2 most-watched entertainment telecasts of the 2008 November Sweep. 

A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to more than 28% currently, from 21% at the same point in 2007. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #480 on: November 26, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

The View with DWTS Season 7 Winners

Part 1

Part 2

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #481 on: November 26, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

Good Morning America with DWTS Final 3

Part 1

Part 2

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #482 on: November 26, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »
Season 7 DANCING WITH THE STARS CHAMPIONS

Brooke Burke & Derek Hough

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #483 on: November 26, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »
Derek's myspace bulletin post:

A BIG thank you to the fans!!!

Hello all,

I just wanted to drop a quick note and thank all of you for watching, supporting and most of all VOTING!!! We couldn't have done it without your help!!! Brooke and I had such a blast, and hope that you guys had fun with us too!!

DWTS tour rehearsals start on Friday, and the tour starts in mid December. I wont have a lot of down time, but I will try to update you guys as often as possible.
I hope to see alot of you out on the road!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Thanks for the support!!!
Derek

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
An interview with Carrie Ann:

Carrie Ann Inaba Defends 'Dancing' Judging

Another season of “Dancing with the Stars” is behind us, and no one can argue that this year's winner Brooke Burke was the best overall dancer.

But each season fans complain that the show is a popularity contest rather than a dance contest, and that the judges manipulate the scores to direct the course of the show.

It's just a reality show, a hugely entertaining one that draws around 20 million viewers a week, but I decided to get to the bottom of the conspiracy talk.

I chatted with “Dancing” judge Carrie Ann Inaba to get the perspective from the other side of the judges' table.

Tracy Phillips: There’s been some criticism from the fans this season for inconsistent judging, uneven scores and playing favorites. What do you say to that?
Carrie Ann Inaba: “I never know what’s going on, I don’t watch TV while the show’s going on, so I don’t get tainted by other peoples’ opinions. I try to remain very neutral.

What I can say about the judging is that we all speak from our hearts. We all come from dance backgrounds, we all have a lot of compassion for these people, but our job is to give critiques on what we see.

So I’m not exactly sure what the feedback has been, but that’s what is great about our show is that we encourage people to do that, we encourage people to have their own thoughts. People get a little heated at times, but even though I’m giving my opinion, or Len is giving his, we’re not saying our opinion is the only one.

We give America their chance to vote. So it’s really a democracy, they get their own say and that is what’s fun about it."

TP: Tom, Len and Bruno said you have a crush on Warren Sapp. Is it hard to judge if you have a favorite contestant?
CAI: “I know they think it’s so easy, everyone teases me, ‘He winked at you and you gave him a good score”…but Ooohh Noooo, it takes more than a wink to get a good score out of me!”

TP: What do you think of the news that Julianne Hough isn’t coming back next year?
CAI: “I just heard that. I would be sad, because I think she’s an amazing dancer. And she’s such a great coach. But at same time, I’m really happy for her, because she’s a dancer who is moving into new areas, and I’m sure she’s going to go on and do even more.”

TP: Would you like to see a “Dancing with the Stars: All-Star Edition,” where the previous winners and some of the should-have-wons come back and compete against each other?
CAI: “I would love to see that! But even more so, I’d like to see the ones who got cut on the first week come back and battle it out to see who can last more than one week. You know, Kenny Mayne, Tucker Carlson, the kind of quirky people who didn’t really get a chance to shine, and who we didn’t get to know, I’d like to see them have a second chance.”

Link: http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/11/carrie_ann_inaba_defends_danci.html

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #485 on: November 29, 2008, 01:22:39 AM »
I will say the right team won this time. Brooke was the best dancer of them all this season and deserved the trophy.

Cloris gave us entertainment and the Grey Panthers certainly gave her a big boost on the votes, but when it came time for her to go, I think we were all sick of her.

I certainly hope the rumors about Paula Abdul for next season are not true because she's not only psycho, but I've also heard she has a major contention with Carrie Ann Inaba who's my Asian homegirl. No one is allowed to bash Carrie.  ;) ;) ;)
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #486 on: November 29, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Ken, since when is Honolulu in Asia?

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #487 on: November 29, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

Carrie Ann Inaba who's my Asian homegirl. No one is allowed to bash Carrie.  ;) ;) ;)

:hearts: lol I love Carrie Ann her laugh is infectious I love it

:lol: lol since she was only born in Honolulu Hawii there is a difference she is Asian

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #488 on: November 29, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
The girl is Japanese, ap. She may have been born in Honolulu, but her heritage is Japanese which I don't have to tell you is located in the Asia-Pacific region. That is what I'm talking about.

Plus, she has a huge fanbase in Japan as she has recorded CD's for that market. Ok? Ok? Do we understand? Good.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #489 on: November 29, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
No, Ken, she is not Japanese. She is part-Irish, part-Chinese, and part-Japanese, but all American!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #490 on: November 29, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »
No, Ken, she is not Japanese. She is part-Irish, part-Chinese, and part-Japanese, but all American!

Lol apskip that is what we were trying to tell you it goes beyond being born in Honolulu which what you initially said.

I will add many of the people I know born even 4th generation lets say American they will never deny their heritage they are very proud.

Seeing Carrie Ann is fluent in Japanese and continues to actively work there I find it hard to say there is nothing Japanese about her. We dont know what she practices either so it’s hard to really speak for her.

I can totally respect where TARAsia is coming from and trying to tell you.

** Finally and most importantly with a little more research apskip beyond google you can check her myspace where she herself has written her Ethnicity is Asian!!

Link to her myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=69501624

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:04:14 PM by marigold »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #491 on: November 30, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »
Whatever you say, ap.
Just here to visit.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #492 on: January 02, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »

:lol: she is funny

2009 Grand Marshal Cloris Leachman At The Rose Bowl Parade

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #493 on: January 02, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
An interesting article:

Singer Lance Bass putting his best foot forward

The last time Lance Bass went on tour, he was singing the pop hits "Bye Bye Bye,” "It’s Gonna Be Me” and "This I Promise You” with superstar boy band ’N Sync.

Sure, Bass and his bandmates also were known for their dance moves back in 2002. But the group’s synchronized hip-hop routines bear little resemblance to the ballroom style Bass recently learned on the popular reality TV show "Dancing With the Stars.”

When "Dancing With the Stars: The Tour” mambos, cha chas and waltzes into Tulsa’s BOK Center on Friday, Bass, 29, and his professional dance partner, Lacey Schwimmer, will be among the performers cutting a rug.

"I love entertaining. ... I definitely don’t consider myself a dancer, but I think it’s entertaining for people to see me try,” he said with a chortle. "You can get a good laugh.”

He and Schwimmer finished third behind football player Warren Sapp with Kym Johnson, and the champions, model Brooke Burke with Derek Hough, when the show’s seventh season ended Nov. 25.

"I was crossing my fingers that they’d ask me to do it (the tour), because I love being on the road; I love performing in front of ... people. It’s definitely my passion,” he said in a recent phone interview from San Diego.

The tour also includes stars Toni Braxton, Maurice Greene and Marlee Matlin and several of the show’s dance pros.

Bass and Schwimmer will perform a few solo routines from the show, and he will dance in four group numbers. One of his favorites is a fun, sexy number in which he dances with "Lance’s Angels,” four of the female pros.

Although the singer/actor/producer didn’t know dancing would be part of the gig when he joined ’N Sync, he learned to love it. His experience with the pop group gave him the confidence to join the reality dance competition, which he viewed as a challenge. He was thrilled not only to finish third but also to perform every style of dance the show offered.

While he plans to continue ballroom dancing for fun, he doesn’t expect his newfound skills to figure into his long-term plans.

"I think I’ll be hanging up my ballroom shoes for sure after this tour,” he said with a laugh. "It’s a lot of fun ... but as far as taking it seriously and changing my career into dancing, I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

Link to the article: http://newsok.com/singer-lance-bass-putting-his-best-foot-forward/article/3333843

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #494 on: January 02, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »

Dancing with the Stars on the road with Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #495 on: January 02, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »
An interesting article:

Actress: 'Dancing with the Stars' tour pure pleasure

Turn up the music because the dance is on.

Dancing with the Stars: The Tour brings to the Valley celebrities such as Lance Bass, Toni Braxton and Maurice Greene from Season 7, and Marlee Matlin from Season 6.

In this fourth tour, dancers will also include Maksim Chmerkovskiy , Mark Ballas and Derek Hough, Kym Johnson, Lacey Schwimmer, Edyta Sliwinska, Karina Smirnoff, Alec Mazo, Cheryl Burke and Fabian Sanchez.

The two-hour show features a re-creation of the TV show's stage and set design, a 10-piece live band and two giant video screens showcasing never-before-seen rehearsal footage, behind-the-scenes interviews and outtakes, as well as other surprises.

Matlin, Academy Award-winning actress, gave The Republic a scoop on the tour and her experience as a dancer:

What can you tell me about the tour show and cast?

"Everyone is great. It's like a wonderful reunion. Maurice is a jokester; he's just hilarious. Lance is a sweetheart and I love to listen to his stories of traveling on the road with 'N Sync. Toni is a 100 percent class act. She's just so professional and sweet. And I love dancing with my crazy mambo king, Fabian Sanchez. And the rest of the dancers are wonderful, total pros. I learn something new each and every day from them."

What's the difference between being on the Dancing with the Stars tour vs. the TV show?

"There's a big difference. The TV show is about the most competitive experience one could ever expect. You're performing live in front of 22 million people every day. It's brutal, but I loved it. The tour is like a wonderful reunion and we are dancing for pure pleasure. No scores, no tears, just pure entertainment. The audience eats up the show and we have a great time dancing for them each night."

How much practice and preparation are you having for the tour? How do you keep a routine while on tour?

"We had two weeks of rehearsals before the tour began. During the show, it took me one week to learn one dance. On this tour, I had to learn six dances in one week. But I did it and have been practicing hard to make sure each and every night is as fresh as the night before. Fabian, my dance partner, and I find any moment we can to keep our dances fresh in our minds. Last night, we were rehearsing in the hallway of our hotel!"

What is your favorite song or rhythm to dance to?

"I love the mambo. It's the dance I didn't quite get right on the show because I misstepped. Now I get to dance it right all across America. Also, watch for me in the Hollywood classics part of the show because you might not know it's me at first."

What do you miss about being on the show?

"I miss all the energy, the freshness of a new dance routine each week. I miss the electricity in the air when we go on live at 8 p.m. each Monday. It's like classic television when nothing was predictable. I loved that feeling and would do it again in a second."

Is this your first time on a tour bus? How is it and do you feel like a rock star on tour?

"It's a world that I'm sure everyone has fantasized about and now I get to live it out for a few months. The bus is unbelievable with my own bedroom, full bathroom, dining room, living room, kitchenette and huge flat-screen TVs. All I can say is thank goodness I'm married and sober."

Link to the article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/12/26/20081226gl-stars1227-ON.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #496 on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:08 AM »
An interview with DWTS Maurice Greene:

Dancing with the track star

After Emmitt Smith appeared on "Dancing with the Stars," he said he was no longer known primarily as a football star. Instead, he became the guy from the dancing show.

Maurice Greene can relate to this redefining power of prime-time reality television. The Olympic gold medalist finished in fifth place on the most recent season of the dance-competition series.

"A lot of people look at me, and they're like, 'I know you from somewhere,' and then, they're like, 'Oh yeah, you're the sprinter,' " Greene says. "Now I'm the dancer, and it's, 'Can you dance with me? Dip me!' Things like that."

The concert-tour version of "Dancing," featuring Greene, Lance Bass, Toni Braxton and others, arrives Saturday. Green compared running in a straight line with spinning in circles in a phone conversation prior to the show.

Question: Do you have a favorite dance?

Answer: My favorite routine would probably be the paso doble. It's a Latin-American dance. It's very masculine. It's a fighting dance. You're like the matador and the bull. I had a lot of fun doing that one. And I would say our jive is a lot of fun, also.

Q: How much prior dancing experience did you have?

A: The only dancing experience I've had was dancing in the club. And dancing in the club and doing these ballroom dances are doing two completely different things. So I'd say I've had no dancing experience.

Q: Are there parallels between track training and practicing dance routines?

A: The competitive part of me came out. That's what made me work so hard. I was a workaholic in track, so I just took my work ethic to the dance floor, because there is no movement in track and field that is the same in dancing. You just have to learn it and work hard and conquer something new. In track, I was just going straight. In dancing you got to move all around the floor. One heel has to be on the floor while your toe is doing something different. It's just totally different.

Q: Are you more nervous in front of a television studio audience, a live concert audience or an Olympic audience?

A: Studio audience. In the show, I was more nervous there than in any time in my life. I'm more comfortable in an Olympic finals race than I am lying in my bed at home.

Q: But there are a billion people watching the Olympics.

A: I love that.

Q: Then why don't you love dancing on TV?

A: I'm not saying I don't love it. But I'm out of my element. I'm not used to dancing. It doesn't come natural for me. We only have four days to learn each dance. I didn't know if I was going to mess up a routine or nail a routine. It's a very nervous and scary feeling.

Q: Would you have traded your TV dancing for a chance to compete in Beijing?

A: If I could have stayed healthy and have been able to train with no injuries, I would have loved to go to Beijing and compete. But my body's a little bit older, and it's harder to recover. That's why I decided to retire.

Link to the article: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090116/ENT/901160322/1025/rss05