Author Topic: Best Amazing Race Season to Date  (Read 180812 times)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Best Amazing Race Season to Date
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »
I loved the fact that many people loved TAR 12 even if it was the shortest season (in terms of episodes) and that a boring team won. :funny:

But frankly speaking, TK and Rachel ain't that bad right?

Robbing 10 potentially more epic teams = bad, but having 10 potentially epic teams + early season-esque route pulled it up. BIG TIME. So TK/Rachel are either hated on for said reason, or forgotten because there were bad winners in bad seasons. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »
Robbing 10 potentially more epic teams = bad, but having 10 potentially epic teams + early season-esque route pulled it up. BIG TIME. So TK/Rachel are either hated on for said reason, or forgotten because there were bad winners in bad seasons. :funny:

TAR 12 was the last season that had the classic TAR style. The route is very much like TAR 3 and TAR 6. It was also the last season IIRC to have a designated "villain" team. Plus, all the boring teams were eliminated early, and I hated none of the Final 3 (Though the hippies shouldn't have won IMO).

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
I loved the fact that many people loved TAR 12 even if it was the shortest season (in terms of episodes) and that a boring team won. :funny:

I think TAR12 had a really great cast mix, but it would've been better had Nick/Don or Ron/Chris won. TK & Rachel were just OK.

And is it just me or does anybody else thing TAR7 was a repeat of TAR5?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

DavidJunior

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »

I think TAR12 had a really great cast mix, but it would've been better had Nick/Don or Ron/Chris won. TK & Rachel were just OK.

come to think of it, the final 3 were really too similar in comparison :
The married African-American couple who really needed the money ended up winning
The strongest team of the season coming up just short
and then the boring third place team not even being that much of a factor in the end after all...

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
I still hold TAR Classic (season one, of course) in the highest regard. I've said (elsewhere) that that first season was a perfect combination of teams, locations, tasks and story that no subsequent season has ever been able to match. One could not have done any better if it had been scripted.

The confrontation at the Tunis airport. The first leg. Immortal lines such as "It's Namibia, jackass!" Teams getting lost in the Sahara. "For two years, we lived in Paris." The final fast forward between Team Guido and Momily. The confusion that is India. Momily's decision to quit the detour in Bangkok. The final confrontation between Team Guido and the original Frats. The race to the finish between Rob/Brennan and Frank/Margarita. "I did it with my best friend." And the Guido edit.

No other season has quite managed to have so many memorable moments and personalities in so many different ways. :hearts:
-- theschnauzers

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »

come to think of it, the final 3 were really too similar in comparison :
The married African-American couple who really needed the money ended up winning
The strongest team of the season coming up just short
and then the boring third place team not even being that much of a factor in the end after all...

Add to that:
a) a Los Angeles area start
b) two Argentina legs (both consisting of one in Buenos Aires and some nearby town & one near the Chilean border that featured a Yield [granted it appeared in every leg for Season 5, but still], an eating Roadblock [chocolate & meat] and a transportation choice Detour [Smooth Sailing/Rough Riding & Paddle/Pedal] I might add)
c) Legs 5, 6 & 7 in Africa (one country hosting two legs for both seasons)
d) a planned Istanbul leg (moved to Dubai [source is Wikipedia - could be true or not] for TAR5, Leg 9 for TAR7)
e) a head-shaving FF in India
f) a visit to one more North American country before going back to the USA (Canada for TAR5, Jamaica for TAR7)
g) stunt casting (Alison for TAR5, Rob/Amber/Brian for TAR7)
h) fourth place team that finished last on a Leg 5 NEL and managed a second place (both their highest placing in-race) before finishing in 4th

And we have a (badly-done) repeat of TAR5. :funny:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:04:31 PM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »

TAR 12 was the last season that had the classic TAR style. The route is very much like TAR 3 and TAR 6. It was also the last season IIRC to have a designated "villain" team. Plus, all the boring teams were eliminated early, and I hated none of the Final 3 (Though the hippies shouldn't have won IMO).

I very much disagree. In my opinion all trace of "classic TAR" (if I, never having watched the first or second seasons, even know what that means) went out the door after All-Stars. The shortening of the route, the casting of too many people from LA (what was up with that?), and various other terrible new ideas (including the pretend elimination of non-eliminations, and U-turns with no priority numbers), and controls of teams (like making it impossible for teams to be apart from each other) made this season somewhat obnoxious and grating. It went to some great locations, though, but the legs were too short. The race has sadly still not recovered from this (but TAR 14 came close). The winning team was egh. Sadly, now I go back and watch it feeling like it is classic, just because things are so much worse now. Who knew the editing would be so good at spoiling and that some teams would be totally ignored? :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
I still hold TAR Classic (season one, of course) in the highest regard. I've said (elsewhere) that that first season was a perfect combination of teams, locations, tasks and story that no subsequent season has ever been able to match. One could not have done any better if it had been scripted.

The confrontation at the Tunis airport. The first leg. Immortal lines such as "It's Namibia, jackass!" Teams getting lost in the Sahara. "For two years, we lived in Paris." The final fast forward between Team Guido and Momily. The confusion that is India. Momily's decision to quit the detour in Bangkok. The final confrontation between Team Guido and the original Frats. The race to the finish between Rob/Brennan and Frank/Margarita. "I did it with my best friend." And the Guido edit.

No other season has quite managed to have so many memorable moments and personalities in so many different ways. :hearts:
The main problem I have with season one is the greeter at each mat.  I hated that idea, and am so glad that Phil replaced them for every other season.  Just can't state how much I hated that.

But the points about the episodes, there is just something about that season (and its not my favorite cast, nor my favorite route, nor my favorite tasks) that just is so fresh.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
Hooky

I do agree (and I still blame budgeting for 2 of these huge factors) the casting being so much more limited then what was previously done.  And the with the shortening of the season the production really kept a much stronger hold of the cast, both in driving (when they did do it) to flights.

Now I can understand some of that as All Stars suffered the worse flight scheduling problems of any season (and I am quite sure production made sure that would never happen again).

But you lose something with that.  You lose the increased stress that provides on teams and thats drama.  Drama doesn't have to be team rivals, or fighting couples.  It can be teams having to deal with situations completely out of there control.  I know they weren't popular, But I loved seeing Eric & Danielle struggle for so many legs when they didn't make any mistakes, where they did what they were supposed to (and three of those legs where they finished so far behind they were actually 1st and 2nd fastest in performing that actual tasks of the legs).  That was certainly more enjoyable then them bickering with each other (or for that matter most teams that argue with each other).  Now it seems the closest we get to drama like that is when teams make serious errors, things they were in control over, or had some say it.  And frankly, that isn't as dramatic to me. 

Now I am not saying that I loved All Stars (I didn't, as about half of the cast didn't seem "All Star" to me and I wasn't the biggest fan of the route or tasks.  But after that TAR did change, and I don't think its a change they wanted to make.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:41 PM »
After watching a few of the early seasons, I'm going to say the problems began after TAR 5.
TAR 6: Weak casting (Decline)
TAR 7: Weird Route + Stunt-casting Decline)
TAR 8: The Entire Concept (The bottom of all TARs)
TAR 9: Alpha-Male domination (Still a slight improvement)
TAR 10: Improvement -- Nice route and exciting teams
TAR 11: Weak route + questionable "All-Star" teams (Decline)

Then CBS reduced the episode order per season from 13 to 11! (How dare they!) Even worse, the 2007-2008 season only had one season of TAR!

TAR 12: Good route, but weak casting (Wasn't a terrible season)
TAR 13: Weak casting (Decline)
TAR 14: Weak Route + Downgrading of tasks (The cast and some nostalgia made this season memorable)
TAR 15: Weak Cast + Bunching + Downgrading of tasks (Just like TAR 13)

My opinion is that TAR should not visit the same place twice unless they can make an even better leg (Example: TAR 9 Tokyo vs. TAR 15 Tokyo). If you're going to stay in the same city for two legs, just make it a TBC and spare us the NEL penalty debate.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:57:53 PM by Caelestor »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »

You forgot "a toast to evil!" :lol:
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline perdfa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »
can someone tell me what's the meaning of the episode has been reduced from 26 to 11...?

i thought evry season just hv 11/12 eps per season...

and what does it mean by the shortening of the course...?

i thought evry leg hv roadblock, detour, and pretty much thats it...?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
If TAR has to visit more third world countries so as to save on budget, go ahead! Just keep the tasks ideas fresh, cultural and fun! :D

And i agree that they need to stop visiting the same place twice within like a time period of 5 seasons? *hint* *hint* SINGAPORE has not been visited for 12 seasons already. :funny:

TAR 3 is still the best IMO. (You all know why... 15 - 12 = TAR 3) :hearts:

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
If TAR has to visit more third world countries so as to save on budget, go ahead! Just keep the tasks ideas fresh, cultural and fun! :D

And i agree that they need to stop visiting the same place twice within like a time period of 5 seasons? *hint* *hint* SINGAPORE has not been visited for 12 seasons already. :funny:

TAR 3 is still the best IMO. (You all know why... 15 - 12 = TAR 3) :hearts:

I just agreed with everything you said. :funny: Season 3 <3333333
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
can someone tell me what's the meaning of the episode has been reduced from 26 to 11...?

i thought evry season just hv 11/12 eps per season...

and what does it mean by the shortening of the course...?

i thought evry leg hv roadblock, detour, and pretty much thats it...?

I don't know what the 26 episodes idea is all about, perhaps Caelestor could clarify...?

But when I was discussing the shortening of the course, I meant a combination of the decline in total miles traveled per race (from an average of about 40,000 in pre-TAR 12, to the current 25,000-ish of TAR 15), the shortening of the number of legs in each race (12/13 to 11), the shortening of the number of Route Markers in each leg (since TAR 12, most legs have only visited the location of the Roadblock and Detour, with very few plain clueboxes that just lead teams to another destination), and the shortening of the distance teams have to travel in each leg (Remember the multiple hour drives and train rides? What happened to those?). All of these changes took place in Season 12 and haven't been undone since then. :groan:

I know - a very convoluted sentence. Hopefully it makes sense. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »

I don't know what the 26 episodes idea is all about, perhaps Caelestor could clarify...? Clarified.

But when I was discussing the shortening of the course, I meant a combination of the decline in total miles traveled per race (from an average of about 40,000 in pre-TAR 12, to the current 25,000-ish of TAR 15), the shortening of the number of legs in each race (12/13 to 11), the shortening of the number of Route Markers in each leg (since TAR 12, most legs have only visited the location of the Roadblock and Detour, with very few plain clueboxes that just lead teams to another destination), and the shortening of the distance teams have to travel in each leg (Remember the multiple hour drives and train rides? What happened to those?). All of these changes took place in Season 12 and haven't been undone since then. :groan:

The leg design is first on the fix list. What happened to interaction with the locals? The miscellaneous task? A short but epic 11-episode season is still better than a mediocre one with 13 legs. Even the "clues" occasionally given need to be slightly challenging.

The easiest thing TPTB can do is to stop visiting amusement parks that I can find here.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2009, 07:06:31 PM »

I don't know what the 26 episodes idea is all about, perhaps Caelestor could clarify...? Clarified.

The leg design is first on the fix list. What happened to interaction with the locals? The miscellaneous task? A short but epic 11-episode season is still better than a mediocre one with 13 legs. Even the "clues" occasionally given need to be slightly challenging.

The easiest thing TPTB can do is to stop visiting amusement parks that I can find here.
maybe once the recession is over
The story so far:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »

maybe once the recession is over

... and Im afraid, when will the recession be over? 2012? (End of the World?:'(
And Oprah's closure in 2011 might affect TAR big-time  :'(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline perdfa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
i watched tar backwards in order of what's most popular from this forum, (started watching since 12, now already watched 11, and 9 too.)

many ppl favor season 6. ive just watched 3 eps of it. ep 1, the hay bales, and the one whr john pushed victoria,

i dnt understand how culd u guys stand lori and bolo and john and vic bickering at each other evry single second they have airtime....

also the same with season 14. i cant stand the way ron talking to christina... and thats pretty much it for me.

for me good season is like season 9 or 15 to some degree, and 11 because of eric.

in season 11, eric and danielle gt screwed over and over, bt they got pissed bt jst moderately, keep their calm and rarely raised their voice whn talking to other teams. regardless of the content. like whn they wanted to throw ozzy and danny off the roof or sumthin.

but they way they didnt raised their voice, and didnt lose their calm (eric) shows some degree of maturity, and for me, that's good tv.

and thats why season 9 is particularly interesting for me cuz eric and jeremy and bj and tyler rarely bickered.

and abt the alpha-male domination of season 9, they dominate because they are smart.

eric and jeremy dominated cuz they cn get to the destination effectively and so they dont lose their time-lead they hv, good at spotting clue box and wht not

as shown in season 11 tho eric and danielle is always at the back, they over and over again made comeback by finishing tasks fast and get to the next destination fairly quickly, proven that they can catch up with other teams tho theyre still finished behind, bt seeing how screwed they were, their resilient is a proof that eric and danielle is good.

so the alpha male domination, its because they're good, and for me its more entertaining than seeing say rebecca putting gas on diesel car or lake shouted to michelle.

also season 15 flight time and big easy are alpha male, bt they're not always in the front of the pack... particularly in dubai.

oh i missed watching eric and jeremy got another chance to race together again, maybe in TAR all star 2, but maybe that will just be a wishful thinking.

anyone hv news abt the possibility of TAR all star 2?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:29:12 AM by perdfa »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
Can't find it now, but I believe either BVM or Phil has said that another AllStars is unlikely...that the format works best with NEW teams.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
I don't think there really have been an obvious Alpha Male team since Tyler and James. The closest team since them is Nick and Starr, who absolutely dominated in a terribly boring season.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2009, 03:40:06 PM »
Not to sound like apskip, but what would Oprah's leaving have to do with TAR? She's nothing to with the show.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
Not to sound like apskip, but what would Oprah's leaving have to do with TAR? She's nothing to with the show.

:funny: It's probably because of something i posted here -

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21143.0.html

You know, one thing leads to another and with less income for CBS = Less budget = Declining standard of TAR??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »
The concern I think stems from this:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21143.msg494448.html#msg494448

which suggests that CBS as the distributer will lose $$$ when Oprah goes off the air.

More discussion in the above topic re this would be interesting.

I am not sure that it correlates in ref to TAR, , but less $$ for CBS can never be a good thing.

oops!! GMTA Joab!!   :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
Another point is that the expense of handling the distribution rights for a replacement program will also be less than it has been for Oprah's show. Harpo Productions already has two other shows being handled by CBS, and I would venture a guess that something else will be brought along as well.
-- theschnauzers