Author Topic: Best Amazing Race Season to Date  (Read 181176 times)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Best Amazing Race Season to Date
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
I don't think there really have been an obvious Alpha Male team since Tyler and James. The closest team since them is Nick and Starr, who absolutely dominated in a terribly boring season.

Flight Time & Big Easy/Sam & Dan? :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »
I just realized something: this thread is exactly as old as I am (my account, that is). I posted this the day I registered.

That was an amazing day. :colors
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2009, 12:50:31 AM »
I think it took me about 4 months to get up the nerve to start a new thread. :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »
I think it took me about 4 months to get up the nerve to start a new thread. :lol3:

But I think it took you less than 4 months to reach many many many, countless posts? :funny: :hearts:

EDIT: Off-topic again, bleargh. :lol:

Does anyone agree with Phil that TAR 1,3,5,7 and 14 has a magic to it and is very different from the others? I completely agree with him!

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
Does anyone agree with Phil that TAR 1,3,5,7 and 14 has a magic to it and is very different from the others? I completely agree with him!

I don't. :funny: But I'm like, the "Amazing Race purist", so I don't know if my opinion counts. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »

But I think it took you less than 4 months to reach many many many, countless posts? :funny: :hearts:

EDIT: Off-topic again, bleargh. :lol:

I don't either. I certainly didn't feel that way about 5 or 14. I did get that vibe from 7 and 9, however.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
The early seasons deftly combined game show with travel documentary. Especially noticeable in TAR 1 with the leisurely pace and the little background music.
Now, it's just a game show around the world.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »

I don't always agree with Phil, especially concerning teams, but I definitely agree with him about favorite seasons.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
I agree with Phil with the ones other than 7. I wasn't happy with the unfair stunt casting of Rob abd Amber, since the other teams that season didn't have the advantage Rob had of being identified by viewers all around the world due to his then recent Survivor appearances, which no other team had.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:17 AM »
As a huge fan, (or was) I judge Seasons 5 and 6 to be the best, followed by Seasons 3, 7 and 9 respectively. Before I begin, I reckon the show lost it's charm around Season 11 (All-Stars). Every season thereafter has been terribly flawed and just.. different.

Best seasons (my opinion):

Season 5 -- Awesome & memorable teams such as Chip & Kim, Kami & Karli, Jim & Marsha, The Bowling Moms, Colin & Christie, Charla & Mirna and especially Brandon & Nikki. This season also introduced the Yield along with a new non-elimination penalty as well as a decreased number of Fast Forwards (X2).
The suspense was high, wonderful times, hilarious moments such as Colin almost being thrown in jail, Taxi problems, wicked task design (Chocolate task in Argentina, Dogs or Tango Detour, Egypt archeology, strolling along the Auckland harbor bridge, the Ox challenge in Manila, the Dubai tasks etc) Marshall & Lance quitting the race, and much more. They visited sensational locations (Despite no Europe if you forget the visit to Russia) like southern Argentina, Uruguay, Egypt, Tanzania, Dubai and Auckland, NZ (My city & country). Extremely hilarious watching the taxi drivers rip off a few of the contestants this season, which also featured heavily during Season 6.
Lastly, Chip & Kim winning -- all I'll say to that, they deserved it. Excellent edition and a large improvement over the previous season.

Season 6 -- My favorite season. It is rather similar in many aspects to the season both before and directly after this one. A nice selection of teams through Kris & Jon, Hayden & Aaron, Lena & Kristy, Gus & Hera, Lori & Bolo (pro-wrestlers) and the bickering Jonathan & Victoria. I disagree with people when they state the high annoyances from the cast this season, but found the bickering to be nothing but hilarious. There are various flaws; the first two teams to go out were terrible, and Kendra could very well be the most awful winner of the race to date... Kris & Jon should have won.
However, I can't argue that I've never watched an Amazing Race season with as amazing locations as this; Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, Corsica, Sri Lanka, Shanghai and Xian. Also, this edition contained the most suspense: Non-elimination legs were greatly placed, it was the first season with a double-length-leg brought up out of no purpose at all, 3 Yields, 2 Fast Forwards, and I can say it was the most entertaining edition of the race to date. I also judged TAR 6 to have the best task design through examples like, all Roadblocks and Detours on the Scandinavian legs (the hay bales, Count It Or Build It, Endurance & Accuracy, Tree Trunks or Elephant Trucks and the locks task in Xian, China). So many great aspects this season.

Worst seasons were 4, 8, 13 and 14.

And now my best to worst ranking:

6-5-3-7-9-10-12-15-2-1-4-11-13-8-14
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:41:26 AM by Wadsy »
Wadsy

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2010, 03:13:08 AM »
My favorite seasons were 5 and 11 (All-Stars) because of Charla & Mirna. I love those two. Is there a thread were I can find any updates about what they have been up to? TIA

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »

I don't always agree with Phil, especially concerning teams, but I definitely agree with him about favorite seasons.

Take away 14 and I agree. The race began to really drag in Thailand.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

Take away 14 and I agree. The race began to really drag in Thailand.

Take away 14 because the teams that made it to the end were grossly overrated right from the start, robbing attention from the first four eliminated teams (two of which were very likable). And yes, the task and course design also went downhill after Leg 6 or so.

In hindsight, I'm beginning to think that TAR 15 wasn't really that great. Yes, the editing balance drastically improved, but the tasks were lousy and stereotypical overall. And although I like Meghan & Cheyne and Brian & Ericka, I got tired of them when we reached the F4 or so.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
I still hold TAR Classic (season one, of course) in the highest regard. I've said (elsewhere) that that first season was a perfect combination of teams, locations, tasks and story that no subsequent season has ever been able to match. One could not have done any better if it had been scripted.

The confrontation at the Tunis airport. The first leg. Immortal lines such as "It's Namibia, jackass!" Teams getting lost in the Sahara. "For two years, we lived in Paris." The final fast forward between Team Guido and Momily. The confusion that is India. Momily's decision to quit the detour in Bangkok. The final confrontation between Team Guido and the original Frats. The race to the finish between Rob/Brennan and Frank/Margarita. "I did it with my best friend." And the Guido edit.

No other season has quite managed to have so many memorable moments and personalities in so many different ways. :hearts:

I'll add some of my memorable moments from season 1:

• Lenny lying to Karyn at the Eiffel Tower.
  • Karyn basically dumping Lenny on the mat after their elimination.
  • Nancy & Emily being denied train tickets in India.

Having watched the show from the very first CBS broadcast, I think it matters a lot when someone started watching the show, whether they watched it weekly or in a marathon, how old they were, and why they liked the show in the first place.

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:43 AM »
Can't decide but I'll say Seasons 5, 6, 10, 11, 14

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
Ranking the seasons that I have completed, best to worst:

3-5-12-9-7-10-14-11-15-13

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 03:34:05 AM »
Well, personally, I've never seen a season as great as 5 and 6 to be honest. Loved both seasons, while 7 is overrated (but still quite good), 3 and 9 are my next favs in the list. Seasons 8, 13 and 14 were the worst, and Season 16, based on what I've seen so far will probably join the worst bunch.
Wadsy

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
Seasons 5, 11, 14, 15, and 17 were my favourites!  :cmas9
Seasons 4, 6, 7, 9, 12 amd 16 were okay.  :cmas30:
Season 13 was the worst.  :cmas12
I didn't watch other seasons esp. Family Edition ugh.

Here's my viewpoints:

Season 5- Third fav. Lots of good memorable teams but a boring final three. However the race locations are one of the best to date. Loved Colin almost going to jail and the ox task, Kami & Karli making stupid mistakes and usually finishing second to last, charla and mirna's tearful goodbye in Tanzania, zorbing, looking for scarabs, racers getting sick at caviar roadblock, phillipines climbing task, plus the argentina chocolate task and the burj al arab clue in dubai

Season 6-Loved the close finish b/t Kris and Jon and Freddy and Kendra, however Kris and Jon should've won. Stupid train. Lot of suspense and locations were awsome. Final three weren't really dynamic.

Season 7-Teams were great, though most of my favs all got eliminated before final three. Locations weren't all that good. Loved the first leg tasks, hard meat roadblock in leg 3 and the tasks in africa and turkey.

Season 9-Teams were okay but it was boring to watch BJ and Tyler and Eric and Jeremy always finishing in top two. But the flags finale task was cool. Cool places.

Season 11- Second fav. Race locations were a bit boring at first but got more exotic towards the end.  I liked how any of the final three teams could've won the race. Finale was awesome. Loved the taxi flipout in Chile, the showdown b/t Charla & Mirna and Romber, Charla and Mirna going from 7th to 1st, the solemn momeent at the Poland concentration camp and the Malaysian and Guam tasks.

Season 12-Best locations during the middle of the race. Teams overall pretty likable. Liked watching teams struggle at the donkey task, Donald vaulting, teams struggling at camel milking task, 5 teams arriving at the same time in leg 3, and lithuania, croatia, italy, japan and taiwan tasks. Hilarious to see Nathan and Jennier never coming in 2nd several times, minutes/second away from 1st place finish.

Season 13-worst season to date. Locations were bad, teams boring, plus it was obvious who would win the race. Terrence and Sarah and Toni and Dallas were memorable teams though.

Season 14- fav. season, all the teams were memorable and likable. That said, any one on TAR 14 deserved to win. Locations were great though I wanted some African legs visited. Final 3 were dynamic and the finale kept me guessing who would win until the last moment. Memorable moments included flight attendants beating Preston and Jennifer to the mat for 10th place,  the pie-throwing detour task, Tammy and Victor fighting, racers running in their underwear, Jaime and Cara finding their taxi, the India pit-stop greeter, Kisha sneezing, Margie and Luke and Kisha and Jen fighting and Jaime and Cara beating Kisha and Jen because Jen had to pee for a spot in the final three. Pretty much all the  tasks were amazing.

Season 15-Loved watching drama between poker players and all teams, Mika refusing to go down the water slide, all of Dubai, Estonia and Czech republic tasks, the wasabi game, Zev and Justin losing their passports, the brothers beating the globetrotters in leg 9, globetrotters quitting roadblock, team zebra dropping their beer glasses amidst drunk Czechs and teams freezing their butts off at the kyrocentrum. Overall, great locations and teams.

Season 16-I loved the Brent and Caite and lesbian feud, tower/terra detour, seychelles, malaysia, singapore and china tasks. Top 3 teams were boring though I rooted for Dan and Jordan all the way and they won! Jet and Cord were great too.

Season 17-Best moments: First all-female team wins the amazing race, watermelon smash on Claire, the locals fooling around trying on sunglasses in Ghana, Kevin comforting his father during the bicycle parts detour, Chad and Stephanie getting engaged in Oman, the food roadblock in HK and the finale tasks. Most teams were likable and I love all  the final three teams.

LOL that was long hehehehe

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
My favourite season ever is All-Stars! I love it to bits!  :cmas9 :cmas9 I love everything that misterblah said:

Season 11- Race locations were a bit boring at first but got more exotic towards the end.  I liked how any of the final three teams could've won the race. Finale was awesome. Loved the taxi flipout in Chile, the showdown b/t Charla & Mirna and Romber, Charla and Mirna going from 7th to 1st, the solemn momeent at the Poland concentration camp and the Malaysian and Guam tasks.

I also liked all the Final 3 teams. I loved Charla & Mirna and was so happy when they made the Final 3 as there were moments where it seemed like they were on the brink of elimination. Season 11 is also when I first heard of Dustin & Kandice and have loved them ever since. I love how Eric & Danielle made a comeback!

In fact, I love all the teams! I love how Rob & Amber were ousted by Charla & Mirna as well! (One of my favourite moments). It was just so epic. I mean, who would have ever imagined two legendary classic teams such as Charla & Mirna and Rob & Amber would have a footrace showdown?!  :cmas18

I love it so much! There is never a day when I don't hear/watch/say or do something about All-Stars. I'm bordering obsessed, lol.  :cmas30:  :cmas22

In fact, I wish I knew of RFF and stuff earlier so that I could have saved the now-missing exclusive Insider videos. I'm dying to watch them!  :cmas4 :cmas4

The cast, route and outcome were great! The race was just epic. I also love the Macau Tower Roadblock!  :cmas16 :xmas146

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »
As much as I hate semi-celebs being cast, I have to say that season 7 with Rob and Amber was my favorite.  Rob rubbed everyone the wrong way, was extrememly mischievous and caused so much friction throughout the race, I tuned in each week just wondering what kind of stunt he would pull next.  The casting department deserved an award for that casting season!!!!!!!!!!!! Who ever selected that cast was a genius!!!!!!!!! Drama! Unexpectability! Humor!  Creativeness!  Influencibility!  I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!  No season has compared since.  Since season 7 the casting dynamics has gone downhill.  The seasons now have small pockets of drama and less interactions between the teams.  Today's seasons are  like watching a  travel channel video taping  separate couples (teams) visiting a country, trying out a local custom and then continuing on a scheduled intinerary.  I know that I am in the minority in this opinion,  which makes this website a good forum, because all opinions are welcome. :<)

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
In fact, I wish I knew of RFF and stuff earlier so that I could have saved the now-missing exclusive Insider videos. I'm dying to watch them!  :cmas4 :cmas4

Check your Personal Messages.

PM'd to protect the uploader.  Peach, is the correct way?

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »
I loved: season 3 because I couldn't wait to see what Flo would do next and I was expecting Zac to kill her
season 5 great locations and great cast, I love Colin, (I know, I'm crazy!)
season 6 some of the best places ever to be visited
season 7 I liked Rob and Amber and how every other team were against them from the beggining.
After that with the Family edition the downhill started, although seasons 14 and 17 were pretty good and had something of the old times.
Worst season ever, besides season 8 which was not real TAR, season 13 totally boring.

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
I just finished re watching season 3 and I had forgotten how much I hated Flo, if you are going to sign up for the amazing race and actually get on the show and then to complain like she did, it drives me crazy.  In fact whenever I watch the amazing race and people start complaining like that I hate it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »

Check your Personal Messages.

PM'd to protect the uploader.  Peach, is the correct way?

Yes....and I wish you would send it to me too, to see if we have the same one. I just sent it too :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
omg can someone send me them too?