Author Topic: Best Amazing Race Season to Date  (Read 181149 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Best Amazing Race Season to Date
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:03 PM »
Vote for the best season of The Amazing Race and tell everyone why!

My favorite is Season 10. I liked the unpredictability, the locations, and the teams. Even though the most boring teams made the Final 3, it was still a great season.

Note: Poll has been updated to include TAR 13 and 14.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:27:05 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Best Amazing Race Season to Date
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
7 by far is my favorite as well as AllStars! Romber lover here   :neener: .

welcome to the forum Hooky  :waves:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »
TAR7 was the best. Lots of tension. Down to the wire finish. Strong teams. Romber vs. Lynn/Alex. Romber vs. Susan/Bratty Patrick. Romber vs. Uchenna/Joyce. Ray vs. Deanna.

I still contend BVM and Elise held up the last flight to Miami so Uchenna/Joyce could get on. No, I'm not bitter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome, Hooky and good topic. :tup: :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »
TAR7 was the best. Lots of tension. Down to the wire finish. Strong teams. Romber vs. Lynn/Alex. Romber vs. Susan/Bratty Patrick. Romber vs. Uchenna/Joyce. Ray vs. Deanna.

I still contend BVM and Elise held up the last flight to Miami so Uchenna/Joyce could get on. No, I'm not bitter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome, Hooky and good topic. :tup: :tup:
I agree Ken! Also, I can't remember if I read it or someone told me? Anyway Lynn & Karlyn TAR10 said that production told Air France not to let them on the plane, London to NY. So if they can do that then..... :snicker:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
My top three are Season 5, Season 7 and Season 12.  I guess either Season 5 or Season 7 would be my favorite season.  I would've put Season 12 as my favorite if Ron & Christina won, but instead I have to put it in third.  Both Season 5 & Season 7 had my favorite team win the Race.  I guess I'd put Season 7 as my favorite because there were so many interesting teams in that season.

Belle Book

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »
Hmmm. Ranking them is interesting. If I had to rank the Top 5, I'd go this way:

1. TAR7
2. TAR 12
3. TAR 2
4. TAR All Stars
5. TAR 5
Just here to visit.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:58:57 AM »
My favorite season would have to be TAR3. The casting was top notch: Ken/Gerard is my favorite team while Zach is one of my favorite individual racers, Flo and Ian cranked up the dramatics, and the hateful people were (mostly) eliminated in hilarious ways ("walk to the pit stop", Dieselgate). In spite of all that Europe, there were some unique locations (Mexico, the Alps, Scotland) and some very cool tasks (the Detour in the first Swiss leg, the totem pole roadblock, the speed run for the tank). Plus, it has probably my favorite episode overall (in Ho Chi Minh City).

TAR1 and TAR5 also rank very highly for me.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 01:01:41 AM »
those two seasons that had those two blonde chicks that i was not obsessed with were my favorite.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
I am with zachattack308, almost. I like Season 2 the best, season 1 next best, and season 5 third. The hair-rising finish of Tara running to the finish line and being overtaken by Chris and Alex just short of it has never been equalled in any other Amazing Race and there were some really neat locales inluding Alaska that were part of this race.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:56:07 PM by apskip »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »
I liked Season 7 too, but I didn't like the editing. Rob & Amber got more air time than the other teams almost constantly. :groan:

I liked Season 6's locations, but the model and actor teams weren't that interesting. Lena & Kristy and Avi & Joe should have made it further.

Season 5 wasn't my favorite. I just didn't really like any team in particular. Season 4 was that way too.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new to The Amazing Race (yes, I know!!! I'm sooooooo TAR-deprived - I can't believe nobody told me about it all these years - it zipped to the top of my favs, beating out SATC by a good 50,000 miles, six continents and...), this forum and posting in general, so forgive any indiscretions!

I only started watching about halfway thru the last season, but I've been trying hard to catch up, so far I've seen seasons 12, 1 & 7 (out on DVD - why aren't the others for such a popular show??), 9 & 10 and a couple from 11 (on reality TV). So of these my favs are:
1. TAR10 - great teams (and the most diverse!), great locations (loved beijing, mongolia, vietnam, finland, morocco) and tasks (Kandice being dragged by the horse, Peter and Sarah figthing the hyniks, Sarah's climb etc etc) - also the only one to go west from the US - pretty rough start for people who haven't traveled much before!
2. TAR9 - I loved the hippies (though they don't seem too popular on here!), have to admire the Frat boys for their racing skills and Fran/Barry, also some hilarious teams (MoJo, Lake/Michelle, Dave/Lori) - although fewer dating/married couples would be nice.
3. TAR7 - Enough said here already..
4. TAR1 - ok, tasks got better, racers got better, the editing got better - but there's something raw and spine-tingling knowing this was the first time ever - the racers had no idea what to expect next. and the teams were some of the best personalities I've seen so far.
5. TAR12 - from what I saw, too many "young" teams without much personality, glad that 2 of the 3 teams with "wiser" heads were in the last 3!
6. TAR11 - only a couple episodes, so can't judge. but the finale was good, and like in TAR9 and 12, I like that there was a tough task after the last flight, and one that involved a recap of the season.
 OK, long first post! but look forward to more - glad I found this (almost as much as finding the show!)!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
:bigwelcome  sunnyca!

You're in the right place for sure! We all adore the race around here!

You have SO much to look forward to! Glad you found us!  :hello2:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
Heres my faves

1 to 12
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
:bigwelcome  sunnyca!

You're in the right place for sure! We all adore the race around here!

You have SO much to look forward to! Glad you found us!  :hello2:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I sure look forward to sharing TARluv with you all!
BTW, you seem like an old-timer here judging by your # posts - which were your fav seasons?
Also seems like a lot of people liked seasons 5 & 3 - where can i see them? they're not on DVD :-(  and i don't see them on youtube either.. do folks have tapes they can share if i promise to guard them with my life??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
Here's 5: (my very most favorite!) Thanks to dragoondaniel!

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=22116D1334D420D1  (I strongly suggest downloading it because it will probably disappear any minute now :groan: )

Old-timer! :lol3:  :wise  :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
lol: :lol: hahahaha, not old at all!!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
For those that don't know how to download
http://www.download.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

For dead youtube links ...........it really works!!
http://revivetube.com/

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
About the DVD question, this is something that has perplexed me for years. CBS was planning to release the seasons in order and released TAR1, but in the midst of planning, TAR7 was such a big ratings winner, CBS/WRP rushed out the DVD. But according to CBS, the sales of both seasons were disappointing and any plans to release subsequent seasons stopped. I do believe this is bullcrappy because everyone I know has both on DVD.

There are bootleg editions of all the seasons, you just have to know where to look.

Also, CBS does not own all of the seasons, Disney's production arm, Touchstone Television owns a couple of seasons and this is also a holdup.

I do think that eventually, all of the seasons will be released. As Phil says, "it could take a long time."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:56:17 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »
Why did CBS give some seasons to Disney? Which seasons are they?

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
It's not like Touchstone was given ownership, they bought outright ownership of the seasons. I don't know which exact ones per se, but suffice to say it's a roadblock. I think Touchstone owns two or three seasons.
Just here to visit.

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
wow cool, thanks for the links, people!  :jumpy:
i suspect i'm not going to get much work done in the next few days, good thing it's a short workweek..

hey, didn't mean to be "ageist" here - i just meant in terms of # of posts!!! who knows or cares on the web anyways, long as there are no ax murderers on this site - which doesn't seem likely!

interesting about the different seasons being owned by different people. i guess since foxreality showed seasons 9 & 10 recently, they may own the DVD rights to those too.. and i have to admit i rented the DVDs from netflix, not bought them! but i did buy the amazing race game and My Ox is Broken! and would happily buy t-shirts or other TAR branded stuff if cbs sold them online!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
CBS/Paramount sold the cable syndication rights of TAR 1-8 to GSN and then 9-12 to Fox Reality. They have nothing to do with DVD rights.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 11:45:55 PM »
Us old timers have to keep our axes sharp! :lol3:

(Just teasing you, sunnyca! :lol:)

CBS Store w/ T Shirts galore!
http://www.cbsstore.com/index.php?v=cbs-amazingrace

I always heard that part of the DVD issue was who owned what. Apparently CBS owns some, WRP owns some, and ABC/Disney?Touchstone owns some....

And then there are sales.... :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
off topic

I want to buy the jacket & bag for when I go to Florida, then run around the airport asking for directions to somewhere. Maybe I can start rumors for TAR 14.  :sucks

J19000

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
Season six has always been my favorite, is now and hopefully will be in the future, I think it's underated. Here is my long post outlining my why...

The great things were the teams for one, a lot of homor and color compared to recent season people. The new twists & turns on TAR5 were amazingly increased on this season to a new penalty in regards to the Roadblock and the new double-length-leg bunching to me was a strong and very wise move to bring into the season, it was the first season to contain it.

I also loved the locations (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Hungary, France, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and Hawaii), better than any other season. The suspense was up there, no one would have been expecting the first non-elimination leg to be on Leg 4 because it was earlier on in the race, or even Leg 7 being the second of a pre-determined either. Any great team that was eliminated went out of the race proud of their success, especially the more lovable teams. Kris and Jon, even though they didn't win they always kept a smile on their face. The whole model thing and some good teams going out earlier didn't matter to me. The point is, I liked all teams except for Kendra, Freddy was alright.

-The task design was also my personal favorite for that aspect over all the other seasons. The Detour's and Roadblocks were just right on fun, interesting and especially challenging. I never got bored once while watching it. Lena and Kristy's elimination in Sweden because of a difficult luck-based task was a bit upsetting but they tried their best, that's the main thing, so as I upset when Don & Mary Jean and Gus & Hera when they were eliminated.

Also, who could forget the slave house in Senegal on the Berlin leg? A wonderful and emotional thing to experience or even see!

The homor was fantastic, the overused equalizers were awesome because the suspense was increased (at least they only occured near the beginning of a leg) and the TWO-hour season final was a brilliant masterpiece.

The first proposal took place in Xian as well by Aaron who proposed to Haydon (nice...!) And lastly, this season had a great feeling about it.

-I'll get another thing straight -- Jonathan and Victoria. Okay, so there were some very nasty times between them like in Berlin and during the eating Roadblock in Hungary, but other than that they were the most homorous (with Lori and Bolo right behind) and I loved watching them. I was actually quite sad after their elimination in Ethiopia.

There, you have heard my opinion. So my only negative was Lena and Kristy's un-derserved elimination and the winners. TAR6 = My #1 favorite, followed by Season 7 which was similar to this season then TAR5.

Here are my rankings from best to worst:

6-7-5-9-11-3-10-2-12-8-4-1