Author Topic: American Idol Season 8  (Read 118902 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
American Idol Season 8
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
American Idol Season 8

"AMERICAN IDOL" SEASON EIGHT AUDITIONS BEGIN THURSDAY, JULY 17, IN SAN FRANCISCO

Released by FOX

WHO WILL BE THE NEXT SINGING SUPERSTAR?

"AMERICAN IDOL" SEASON EIGHT AUDITIONS BEGIN THURSDAY, JULY 17, IN SAN FRANCISCO

Audition Dates Also Set For Louisville, KY; Phoenix, AZ; Salt Lake City, UT; Kansas City, MO; Jacksonville, FL; East Rutherford, NJ; and San Juan, Puerto Rico

Auditions for the eighth season of AMERICAN IDOL begin Thursday, July 17, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, CA, and will continue in seven other cities. Once again, auditioners will have an extraordinary opportunity to perform before millions of TV viewers and become household names, with one winning the coveted American Idol title and a major recording contract.

Auditions will be held as follows:

San Francisco, CA Thursday, July 17 Cow Palace

Louisville, KY Monday, July 21 Freedom Hall

Phoenix, AZ Friday, July 25 Jobing.com Arena

Salt Lake City, UT Tuesday, July 29 EnergySolutions Arena

San Juan, Puerto Rico Saturday, Aug. 2 Coliseo de Puerto Rico

Kansas City, MO Friday, Aug. 8 Sprint Center

Jacksonville, FL Wednesday, Aug. 13 Veterans Memorial Arena

East Rutherford, NJ Tuesday, Aug. 19 IZOD Center at the Meadowlands Sports Complex

Specific information for the San Francisco auditions is below. More details for the additional audition cities will be announced shortly.

San Francisco AMERICAN IDOL Auditions

WHO: Men and women 16-28 years old as of July 15, 2008, who are eligible to work in the U.S. Some restrictions apply please visit americanidol.com for specific information.

WHERE: The Cow Palace
2600 Geneva Ave.
Daly City, CA 94014

WHEN: Thursday, July 17

HOW: Wristbands will be distributed from 7:00 AM on Tuesday, July 15 until 8:00 AM on Thursday, July 17. Auditioners will not be permitted to camp out; therefore, once they obtain their wristbands, they will be asked to return to the Cow Palace on Thursday, July 17.

Audition information, including forms and requirements, is available online at americanidol.com.

AMERICAN IDOL is created and executive-produced by Simon Fuller, founder of 19 Entertainment; and executive-produced by Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.; Nigel Lythgoe, President, 19 Television; and Ken Warwick, Executive Producer, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: American Idol Season 8
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »
Wow!! Already?? No auditions in Texas it seems.  They have held them in Austin before.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »
Wow!! Already?? No auditions in Texas it seems.  They have held them in Austin before.

I know already TL

I did read in an article that the results show has been cut down to a half hour instead of the full hour we had this past season

I am looking forward to Season 8 :wohoo:

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:13:39 AM »

I know already TL

I did read in an article that the results show has been cut down to a half hour instead of the full hour we had this past season

Me too, ca bb for some reason not so much BB maybe cuz I'll be gone when it starts like last BB and catching up is just too much work.  Who knows  :duno:

Offline s1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
Okay, I need info on how American Idol works.  I just got an email from my cousin that her son made it through the first round today at Freedom Hall in Louisville.  Does this get him on the show or are there other rounds? 

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
Okay, I need info on how American Idol works.  I just got an email from my cousin that her son made it through the first round today at Freedom Hall in Louisville.  Does this get him on the show or are there other rounds? 

There are more rounds S1 but that is great news for your cousin's son he must be a pretty good singer

Best of Luck to him!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »

I know already TL

I'm glad they will cut down on the results, I don't mind an hour of them, just compress them!!  :jam:

How can it be September already??
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »

AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 8 UPDATE:

GRAMMY-NOMINATED SONGWRITER KARA DIOGUARDI JOINS PAULA ABDUL, SIMON COWELL AND RANDY JACKSON AS JUDGE ON AMERICAN IDOL

Released by FOX

Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi has joined AMERICAN IDOL as a fourth judge. She will sit alongside Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson at the judges' table and use her background as an award-winning songwriter and producer to praise or critique the wannabe hopefuls throughout the competition. The eighth season of AMERICAN IDOL premieres January, 2009, on FOX.

"We are turning the heat up on 'Idol' this year and are thrilled to welcome Kara to the judges' table," said creator and executive producer Simon Fuller. "She is a smart, sassy lady, and one of America's most successful songwriters. We know she will bring a new level of energy and excitement to the show."

"We had originally intended for AMERICAN IDOL to have four judges," said executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz. "We've seen from our international series that having a fourth judge creates a dynamic that benefits both the contestants and the viewers."

Mike Darnell, President, Alternative Programming of FOX, added "For the past seven seasons, Paula has had to endure the experience of being the only woman at the judges' table. She's been as an island of consideration and gentle criticism between Randy and Simon, offering her invaluable expertise as a performer and No. 1 artist to the thousands who have competed on AMERICAN IDOL. With Kara by her side, Paula finally has some back-up and now there is going to be a lot more 'girl power' on the show."

One of the industry's most sought after songwriters and producers, DioGuardi's songs have appeared on more than 100 million records. Her songs have been recorded by Grammy award-winning artists including Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood, Santana, and Pink. Scores of major recording artists including Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Pussycat Dolls, Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Natasha Bedingfield, Jewel, Ashley Tisdale, Katharine McPhee, Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice, Clay Aiken, Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, Jessica Simpson, Kylie Minogue, Enrique Iglesias, Nick Lachey and Marc Anthony have also released DioGuardi's songs.

Over the last four years, she has been awarded 10 BMI Pop Awards for having written the most performed songs on radio. From her catalog of several hundred songs, over 264 have been released on major labels worldwide; and over 165 have appeared on multi-platinum selling albums. DioGuardi co-owns Arthouse Entertainment, where she develops and mentors fellow hit writers, producers and artists.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »

I'm glad they will cut down on the results, I don't mind an hour of them, just compress them!!  :jam:

How can it be September already??

Same here TL I am happy with an hour long show

Where does the time go lol

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »

American Idol's 4 Judges

Big changes are in store for AMERICAN IDOL as the cast adds a new judge, songwriter Kara DioGuardi.

But will the fourth judge be a third wheel?

Marc Istook takes a look at the future of Idol.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 11:27:46 PM »
An interesting article:

NEW 'IDOL' JUDGE TOUGHER THAN PAULA, 'NICER THAN SIMON'

KARA DioGuardi, the new "American Idol" judge, is going through a bit of a behind-the-scenes audition herself.

On TV's biggest stage, no less.

After sitting through "Idol" auditions in New York, Jacksonville, Louisville and San Francisco, she's finding her footing, she says.

And she says her style continues to evolve as she critiques prospective contestants.

MORE: Reality-host Nominees Talk Emmys

"I just know I'm getting my groove, loosening up and forgetting about the big elephant in the room," she says about the enormity of "Idol" and of keeping pace with Paula Abdul, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell.

"The first few [audition] cities I was like, 'Oh my God, the camera is on me' - it was a little strange," she says. "But I'm starting to let my true self come out. You forget about the camera and start being you.

"And that's been fun for me."

So how does the "real" DioGuardi fit into the pre-existing "Idol" judge troika - nice (Abdul), middle-of-the-road (Jackson) or snarky (Cowell)?

"I'm one of those people who's pretty honest and kind of say what I feel," she says. "I think you're going to see me be nice at times, but I'm a little more hard on the contestants.

"That's kind of my motto: 'All right, I'm gonna give you another chance, but you're skating on thin ice.'

"If there's something there, I'll give someone a shot - and then kill 'em during Hollywood week."

DioGuardi, who was raised in New Rochelle, is a music business insider, but she's virtually unknown to viewers.

Her biggest TV role, before now, was as a judge on ABC's "The One: Making a Music Star," an "Idol" copycat axed after two weeks in 2006.

"American Idol" is "really taking a gamble because there's something to be said for [hiring] people who've been in front of the camera for long periods of time," says DioGuardi, 37.

"I'm not famous and I'm not known - although I've thought of that [fame] route - it's kind of a weird thing.

"Who calls you up and says, 'You're gonna be the next judge on 'American Idol?' "

DioGuardi is close to Abdul. "We spent weeks together at the very beginning of my career and I practically moved into her house," she says.

But Cowell, now one of the show's executive producers, and Jackson were little more than TV personalities to her before she was hired .

The daughter of former Westchester Rep. Joseph DioGuardi has her own music company, Arthouse Entertainment, which nurtures fellow writers, artists and producers. She works with Phoenix House and has a boyfriend she's been dating for a little over a year.

"I have a place in Maine and basically he was the general contractor on the house next door to mine," she says.

"I met him on the eve of the 10-year anniversary of my mother's death.

"It was kind of like my mom said, 'You've been dating a lot of dogs lately - I'm going to send you a present.' "

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/09162008/tv/killer_kara_129269.htm

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 08:44:43 PM »

:lol: Ryan Seacrest And Jeff Probst Brawl

Emmy hosts brawl on the set of Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 01:04:59 AM »
American Idol Season 8 Update:

AMERICAN IDOL REWIND RETURNS TO NATIONAL SYNDICATION WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 22ND

Released by FremantleMedia

Encore Episodes Debut on TV Guide Network September 29th

New Season Features Extraordinary Highlights, Performances, New Interviews and Exclusive Footage from "American Idol" Seasons 3 and 4

AMERICAN IDOL REWIND is back and ready to debut an all-new season of extraordinary moments, top performances and exclusive highlights from the world television phenomenon, "American Idol." The top-rated syndicated series returns this season with a double dose of Idol mania, highlighting both Seasons 3 and 4 when it premieres in national syndication the week of September 22nd (check local listings). And for those who missed an episode or just can't get enough, encore episodes of AMERICAN IDOL REWIND will air on TV Guide Network beginning the week of September 29th (check local listings).

This year, Idol fans will get a chance to see all-new highlights, exclusive audition footage and all-new interviews with over 40 contestants from Seasons 3 and 4. Fans will also get to catch up with the most memorable Idols of the past when they sit down and reveal what it was like to be a part of the "American Idol" experience, what they really thought of Simon, Randy and Paula's comments, and what they've been up to since leaving the show.

On the season premiere of AMERICAN IDOL REWIND, viewers will get a high-speed tour of the season to come, a look back at all the contestants who made it through to Hollywood, those who made it through to the Top 12, and those who failed spectacularly. Viewers will be able to take a trip back in time and catch up with Idol superstars Carrie Underwood, Fantasia Barrino, Bo Bice, Jennifer Hudson and many more when the journey all began for these young and talented singers.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 01:17:39 AM »
Update on Ryan Seacrest Emmy Nominee:

Released by ABC

JIMMY KIMMEL'S BIG NIGHT OF STARS" PRESENTS A PRE-EMMY SPECIAL FEATURING MICHAEL PHELPS, SALMA HAYEK, TRACY MORGAN AND THE TEAM OF EMMY HOSTS, TO AIR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 ON ABC

In a primetime television event featuring celebrities from the world of television, sports, film and music, late-night host Jimmy Kimmel presents "Jimmy Kimmel's Big Night of Stars," a pre-Emmy Awards special in which he gets up close and personal with 14-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps, Academy Award nominee Salma Hayek, comedian Tracy Morgan and all five of the Best Host nominees -- Tom Bergeron, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel, Jeff Probst and Ryan Seacrest -- airing SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 (7:00-8:00 p.m., ET/PT) on ABC.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »
A blurb in tv guide:

Simon to Settle Audition-Round Ties

It was one of the first questions that came to mind when American Idol added Kara DioGuardi as a fourth judge for Season 8, and now there is an answer. A spokesperson for the Fox juggernaut confirms for TVGuide.com that during the audition rounds currently taking place here, there and everywhere, should the quartet of judges vote to a 2-2- tie, Simon Cowell will be the one who decides if a wannabe gets to be moving on to the Hollywood round.

Simon's status as kingmaker/heartbreaker was first revealed by Paula Abdul on a radio show. Sure, watch this new development make the Brit go and get all cocky on us now!

Link: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Great-American-Idol/Simon-Season-8/800047049

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL EMMY HAS 5 EMMY NOMINEES   :jumpy:

Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality Competition Program
Ryan Seacrest

Outstanding Picture Editing Of Clip Packages For Talk Performance Award Or Reality Competition Programs
Episode #733 (David Cook Goes Home)

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
American Idol

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Variety Or Music Series Or Special
American Idol Finale

Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special
American Idol Give Back

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »

Congrat's to American Idol and Ryan Seacrest on your Emmy Nominations:

Ryan Seacrest at the Emmys

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »

60th Primtime Emmy Awards - Ryan Seacrest

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:25 AM »
a few more from Secrest:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »

An interview with American Idol Season 8 Judge Randy Jackson

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »
An interesting article on American Idol's Host Ryan Seacrest:

'American Idol' host Ryan Seacrest brings radio show to Z100

Ryan Seacrest, who may be quietly building himself into the most ubiquitous entertainment brand in pop music, is coming to New York radio.

The host of the country's most popular TV show, "American Idol," becomes the mid-day jock starting Monday on WHTZ (100.3 FM).

"Ryan is one of the strongest pop culture icons in the country," says Tom Poleman, senior vice president of programming for Z100's parent Clear Channel. "Bringing him in to follow Elvis Duran's morning show strengthens our station even further."

Top-40 Z100 was the city's No. 1 station in the new Arbitron radio ratings yesterday.

Seacrest will remain based in Los Angeles, where he hosts his own morning show on KIIS. The show for New York will spin off from that show, with modifications and customization.

"The way technology works now, he'll be doing a different show here than in L.A.," says Poleman. "For example, we can patch through the Z100 request line so he can take New York calls."

Poleman also notes that since mid-day shows are more music-intensive than morning shows, the Seacrest show on Z100 will have music in places where his L.A. morning show has conversation.

But Z100 won't shut him up, because a big part of his listener appeal stems from his connections inside the entertainment business.

"The biggest names talk with him," says Poleman. "And once 'Idol' starts, we will certainly look forward to his insights on that as well."

Z100 already gives extensive coverage to "Idol" on Duran's morning show, so Seacrest will further extend that saturation.

To accommodate Seacrest's arrival, WHTZ has moved Shelley Wade to the 2-5 a.m. shift. There has been sharp debate in radio over whether listeners prefer "live and local" shows to syndicated programs, but Poleman says "the opportunity to bring in a Ryan Seacrest was one we couldn't refuse."

Seacrest's show is syndicated by Premiere Radio, which is owned by Clear Channel and has already placed it on a number of other Clear Channel stations around the country.

He has been a successful example of something that hasn't always worked - placing a national talent on dozens of local radio stations, thus saving money for the company and giving those local stations a bigger-name host than they could otherwise afford to hire.

For the 33-year-old Seacrest, radio has been a big part of his rise to prominence. He made Forbes magazine's "Celebrity 100 Power List" this year, with estimated earnings of $14 million.

Some critics call him bland, but his upbeat, nice-guy personality has increasingly made him a go-to guy for pop culture events and a familiar, comfortable presence in an ever-spreading circle of media.

Starting Monday, that will include New York radio - and he's already got his cheerleader suit on.

"Z100 has been my favorite radio station in New York since I was a kid," says Seacrest. "I listen to Elvis all the time. I can't wait to play the Z100 jingles every workday."

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/10/07/2008-10-07_american_idol_host_ryan_seacrest_brings_.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »
Another article on AI's Host Ryan Seacrest:

SEACREST RADIO SHOW BEAMS IN

RYAN Seacrest is coming to New York.

Beginning Monday, Seacrest's newsy radio show, "On Air with Ryan Seacrest," will air from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on Z100 (100.3 FM).

The "American Idol" host's LA-based show will be "customized" for a New York audience, according to a station spokeswoman.

"On Air with Ryan Seacrest," which airs on KIIS FM in LA, is extremely popular there with celebrities who appreciate Seacrest's Larry King-style, unthreatening demeanor and questions.

His show has been the media outlet of choice for stars like Britney Spears and Paula Abdul, who want to explain their way out of delicate situations.

Heather Mills famously broke down in tears on the show in 2007 when a call-in listener said she'd misjudged the former Mrs. Paul McCartney until seeing her perform on "Dancing With the Stars."

Seacrest also likes to use the show to break "Idol" news. The first word that "Idol" was adding a fourth judge this year came on his show.

He also gets first crack at "Idol" contestants after they are booted off the talent show.

Seacrest's taking over the midday spot on Z100 pushes deejay Shelley Wade to overnights, starting at 2 a.m.

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/10082008/tv/seacrest_radio_show_beams_in_132592.htm

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »

American Idol's Newset Judge Kara Dioguardi

Interview on Talkshow with Spike Feresten

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »
An interesting article:

SIMON $ALARY ENVY

WHAT has been long suspected about bad blood among the judges on "American Idol" over money was confirmed over the weekend.

Nigel Lythgoe, the former executive producer of "Idol," says that Simon Cowell is earning $36 million a year from Fox for the show - far more than his counterparts, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson.

Jackson's and Abdul's "salary has never been advertised and Simon has been in Forbes which is why I am talking about it," Lythgoe told an Australian newspaper.

"But there is always jealousy in every job.

"Why is he getting more than the other two judges? Because it is believed that he brings more to the table."

Lythgoe, who quit the show at the end of last season to concentrate full-time on his own series, "So You Think You Can Dance," believes Cowell is worth every penny that he's paid.

"He has actually handled his negotiations quite brilliantly," Lythgoe says.

Cowell's negotiating strategy has been never to sign a contract for longer than 12 months.

"He's only ever negotiated by the year," Lythgoe said. "And now he is getting something like $22,000 per minute."

Link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/10132008/tv/simon_alary_envy_133359.htm

Offline girlrawker

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 03:09:54 PM »
i can't wait for new american idol to start! it should be good, it seems to get better and better each season...i'm so addicted to reality shows- esp. music ones...i've started watching Redemption Song on Fuse, has anyone caught it yet? it is AWESOME. it's about a group of girls getting a second chance and one is going to win a record deal. these chicks are crazy! i absolutely love kendra, she's AMAZING. her voice is so good! her friend started a blog for her at kendrassaucybaby.blogspot.com and reports on kendra and blogs some behind the scenes footage. it's pretty awesome! you guys should check it out!  :jumpy: