Author Topic: TAR13 Episode Timeline, Route, Schedule  (Read 87207 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: TAR13 timeline speculation
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2008, 01:31:14 AM »
Phil's Phlight:  (in order to catch G3 1600 to Salvador)

Take American Airlines # 1520 leaving LAX at 12:00 noon and arriving in Miami at 7:50 pm.
Then take American Airlines # 905 leaving Miami at 11:10 pm and arriving in Rio at 8:15 am.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »
Thanks Chateau! So Phil scheduled for himself a 135min connection (8.15am to 10.30am). A non-break journey for contestants from Chicago to Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro to Salvador would give them 155min for international connection in Sao Paulo and 50min in Rio (domestic).

So I guess it's safe enough (using Phil's times as a gauge) for the flight to happen on the 23rd?

Apskip's right - the connection through Rio is at best the fourth quickest flight that reaches Salvador, and half the teams are diverted there? Looks a bit strange for contestants to find that themselves... Did production force them onto it through charter flights?

(Wait, weren't the teams spotted on the morning of the 24th at the elevator? Doesn't that kind of make the whole argument of 23rd versus 24th moot?)

A compiled version of everyone's posts for easy reference; the flights we're looking at - if the 23rd holds true - are:

Contestants' flight from Los Angeles to Sao Paulo
UA 843 from Los Angeles to Chicago, 2.05pm to 8.05pm
UA 843 from Chicago to Salvador, 9.32pm to 10.05am

Contestants' Rio flight from Sao Paulo to Salvador
LA 750 from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro, 12.40pm to 1.45pm
G3 1830 from Rio de Janeiro to Salvador, 2.35pm to 4.30pm

Contestants' flights from Sao Paulo to Salvador
leaving later than our Rio connection and arriving earlier

G3 1978, 12.50pm to 3.05pm
JJ 3172 / AF 6341 / LA 5962 / UA 9835, 1.30pm to 3.50pm
G3 1884, 1.50pm to 4.05pm

Phil's flights from Los Angeles to Salvador
AA 1520 from Los Angeles to Miami, 12.00pm to 7.50pm
AA 905 from Miami to Rio de Janeiro, 11.10pm to 8.15am
G3 1600 from Rio de Janeiro to Salvador, 10.30am to 12.30pm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:05:57 AM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
Let me note a few things:

1. Rio is northeast of Sao Paulo and so Salvador is northeast of Rio.
2. It makes sense for Phil to take a shorter route through Rio. It has much longer connect times and makes it less likely he will miss a connection or be delayed.
3. I haven't seen anything to nail down any AR13 teams going through Rio. It makes little sense when there are ample nonstop flights from Sao Paulo to Salvador. It is easy for observers to confuse the entourage Phil travels with with the racers themselves.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
Let me note a few things:

1. Rio is northeast of Sao Paulo and so Salvador is northeast of Rio.
2. It makes sense for Phil to take a shorter route through Rio. It has much longer connect times and makes it less likely he will miss a connection or be delayed.
3. I haven't seen anything to nail down any AR13 teams going through Rio. It makes little sense when there are ample nonstop flights from Sao Paulo to Salvador. It is easy for observers to confuse the entourage Phil travels with with the racers themselves.
  :duno: Still unsure if were looking at 2 sets of girl/girl team but thats for another topic.
Anyway......

LAX~two blondes wearing hot pink sweatsuits
ORD~Blondes in Pink
Bangkok, Thailand~2 girls, both from Texas, one blond, one brunette

From newman 44 at this forum :
My friends have been living in Brazil for the last few months and this is an excerpt from her blog posted on April 26th:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the reality TV show, The Amazing Race, it is a competition where people travel all over the world in a hectic rat race to come in first and win the big prize. I..m actually not all that familiar with the show myself but I..m pretty sure they were on my airplane.

This situation happened completely by chance. From Cordoba, we were to have a stop over in Porto Alegre another stop in Sao Paulo and then arrive in Salvador in the afternoon. Because of fog, the airport in Porto Alegre was closed, so we had to detour to Rio and from there, fly to Salvador, which was actually much more efficient and convenient.

At the airport in Rio, we noticed several film crews and people in teams of two, often wearing matching outfits. These two girls from Texas (according to their t-shirts anyway) were wearing matching black biker shorts, bright pink tank tops and a ton of make-up. I think the t-shirt was pretty accurate. Anyway, we noticed them being interviewed by the film crews, acting out dramatic situations and so-on. When it came time to board we talked to some of them and lent one of them our brazil book, although they didn..t give us many details about what they were doing. There was a delay in taking off and one team asked if they could move closer to the front. As soon as they did, all the other contestants tried to do the same. It was kind of annoying becuase I think it delayed our take-off even more. Anyway, at that point, we were pretty confident that if it wasn..t The Amazing Race, it was an amazing race of some sort.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »
I haven't seen anything to nail down any AR13 teams going through Rio.

This where we say "Read the thread".

On Phil's flight G3 1600 Rio to Salvador, we don't really know that it is on April 23rd.  I looked at the whiteboard shot and the date is rubbed out or missing.  Just a little bit of a "4" shows up for April.  As in:    nn/4   Where we can't see any "nn".

Many production folk listed out on the right side of the board are on this flight.   Why can't it be 24/4 ?  BVM etc are on the left side of the board and the date is clear:   23/4.

I'm still believing that Teams have to fetch something in Sao Paulo.  When they went through LAX would they be asking for tickets to Sao Paulo but really knowing that they were going to Salvador and just not feeling like telling the ticket agents that they want to get to Salvador?  Why wouldn't they tell the agents what their destination was?  Did they think that the agents could not book the flights for the final leg to Salvador?  It seems hard to swallow.  Maybe it's just me?   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
I agree! I think if teams are asking for tickets to Sao Paulo >>then that's where they go. But do you really think they have a whole leg there?

I can't see how they will have time to do much more than grab a clue of some sort to bunch them all back up there...  (remember that our Chicago flight is just one of at least 2 flights to Sao Paolo)

And we have an eyewitness account placing teams on a flight to Salvador on 4/23. Mistaken re the date? I can't say but I think we believe it till proven otherwise.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »

Many production folk listed out on the right side of the board are on this flight.   Why can't it be 24/4 ?  BVM etc are on the left side of the board and the date is clear:   23/4.

I always thought it was continued

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
And we have an eyewitness account placing teams on a flight to Salvador on 4/23. Mistaken re the date? I can't say but I think we believe it till proven otherwise.

Yea, eye witness information is good evidence.  But this is just one of those times when good evidence is in conflict with other evidence and all you can do is play it both ways until some cracks appear in the logic.

Wheels up!  Off to Glendale:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »
Have Fun! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
Good for you Chateau  :hearts:, ditto that, have a blast!! :waves:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
I have written this to accompany my latest Timeline in the timetables and Flight Information thread:
There is a major issue in figuring out where a previously not identified leg is. This arises because prior timelines have marked the legs up through leg 6 in Delhi. Since release from Delhi cannot be before May 7, there is not enough time left for teams to complete two full legs and fly to Moscow arriving midday May 12(which they have to do to meet the pitstop timing assumptions). So here are 3 alternatives to fix that:

1. Even though I say it is not enough time, WRP plans 3 legs between Delhi and Moscow.
2. There was a second leg in Cambodia involving a TBC, then later a pitstop.
3. There was a TBC leg in Santiago in spite of the piece of evidence that 1304 ends in Auckland.

Of these 3, I like the 2 legs in Cambodia best. Since teams apparently do not depart until the morning of May 6, they have about 48 hours to do so plus get in a TBC and later pitstop. I am have changed the Timeline to reflect that.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »
Nicely done apskips. imo there is still doubts, not enough evidence, about Dubai and I really think the teams spent more time in Delhi per dates of Matts photos which have held up as true Delhi from 6 to 9 May.

I think these a roughly correct..that whole camera date thingy and all  :lol:, help me Neobie!

Salvador de Bahia from April 19 to 25 
Auckland from  April 28 to May 1 (2 ?)
Cambodia from May 4 to 5th
Delhi from May 6 to 9
Moscow from May 10 to 13th

Neobie quote:

I'm afraid I might have to cast extra doubt on Dubai...

The blog on Dubai, posted at 1.04am on May 8th, says "I didnt expect the news that i heard last night". If the timestamp belongs to Dubai or Philippines time, the sighting would have been on or before the 6th. Even if we use the generous US timezone, it would suggest the sighting was at least on the 7th.

Teams fly from Cambodia to India on the 6th (I'm reading this correctly, am I not?), arriving that evening in Delhi after most Hours of Operation. Is there any way we could make this work out?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
Have Fun! :waves:

Good for you Chateau  :hearts:, ditto that, have a blast!! :waves:

Okay, I am on such a cloud now.   :hearts: :hearts:

Please go see Brooke perform Feist's 1234  And then go buy your tix to see the Tour when it hits your town.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
Why do I not know this? we don't include North America or do we?

South America
Oceania
Asia
Eurasia/Europe

With the season 13 debut of CBS’ The Amazing Race looming just around the corner (okay, Sept. 28), exec producer Bertram Van Munster slipped us a few clues about the upcoming globetrot.

• The race takes 23 days, covers nearly 40,000 miles, spans five continents, and features some far-flung locales never before seen on the show, including Angkor Wat, Cambodia and La Paz, Bolivia.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
Why do I not know this? we don't include North America or do we?

South America
Oceania
Asia
Eurasia/Europe

With the season 13 debut of CBS’ The Amazing Race looming just around the corner (okay, Sept. 28), exec producer Bertram Van Munster slipped us a few clues about the upcoming globetrot.

• The race takes 23 days, covers nearly 40,000 miles, spans five continents, and features some far-flung locales never before seen on the show, including Angkor Wat, Cambodia and La Paz, Bolivia.

Five Continents?  The teams did not go through Australia nor Antarctica.  That leaves North America, South America, Asia and Europe.  Then the fifth CONTINENT would have to be Africa.  Oceania is not a continent, it is a grouping of Pacific islands that are not part of any continent.  So did the teams go from Dubai to Africa during those missing days between Delhi and Moscow?

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2008, 10:18:01 PM »
They went to NZ though, and that is classed as part of the same continent as Australia, called Australasia.  :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »
I checked season 12 and it sure seems they counted NA if someone wants to double check

I had Oceania as NZ Mrs Shrek , lol

anyway
TAR12~
 The race covered four continents, visiting ten countries, five of which were previously unvisited. The newly visited countries included Ireland, Burkina Faso, Lithuania, Croatia and Taiwan. Also, for the first time, the finish line was not in the contiguous United States.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »
I wonder if N.A is the fifth continent   :duno:

Africa could be true, I always wished they could sneek into Egypt and when I saw Egypt on Wikipedia, I was pleased until it got taken off that is!!

Could africa be plausable :duno:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2008, 12:37:42 AM »
I had Oceania as NZ Mrs Shrek , lol

Sorry puddin, I should have used the quote function before, I was replying to gingerman's post.

Five Continents?  The teams did not go through Australia nor Antarctica.  That leaves North America, South America, Asia and Europe.  Then the fifth CONTINENT would have to be Africa.  Oceania is not a continent, it is a grouping of Pacific islands that are not part of any continent.  So did the teams go from Dubai to Africa during those missing days between Delhi and Moscow?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:57 AM »
what I was saying that is if TAR 12 boasted 4 continents I count 4 continents with NA having to be included unless I'm missing something ......so whats to say the 5 continents for TAR12 does not include NA? I think it does.

Europe
Africa
Asia
North America

6 Race summary
6.1 Leg 1 (United States → Ireland)
6.2 Leg 2 (Ireland → Netherlands)
6.3 Leg 3 (Netherlands → Burkina Faso)
6.4 Leg 4 (Burkina Faso)
6.5 Leg 5 (Burkina Faso → Lithuania)
6.6 Leg 6 (Lithuania → Croatia)
6.7 Leg 7 (Croatia → Italy)
6.8 Leg 8 (Italy → India)
6.9 Leg 9 (India → Japan)
6.10 Leg 10 (Japan → Taiwan)
6.11 Leg 11 (Taiwan → United States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_12

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2008, 01:27:25 AM »
Guys, remember what apskip would say if he was here...

BVM is not exactly known for his geography! :lol:

I'll bet NZ is his 5th continent!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2008, 01:39:53 AM »
Guys, remember what apskip would say if he was here...

BVM is not exactly known for his geography! :lol:

I'll bet NZ is his 5th continent!

I've been meaning to start a thread, things BVM has lied about or was wrong about, lmao

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
You should label the new thread, Lies, Lies, Lies in honor of the 80's band, the Thompson Twins.  :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Lies - Thompson Twins  :funny: :funny: :funny:

Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
From WorldAtlas:

experts now consider the long-established continent of Australia to be better defined as Australia/Oceania, which then combines and includes all of (Australia), the large island groups of New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Solomons, and the countless volcanic and coral islands of the south Pacific Ocean, including those of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia. In short, OCEANIA is now one of the most diverse and fascinating areas on the planet.

From wiki:

New Zealand does not lie in a continental group. Rather New Zealand consists of two main islands (and a number of smaller ones) which are located in the South Pacific Region.

Politically, New Zealand is part of Oceania.

Mrs Shrek's Australiasia works for me!!

But 23 days :yes:

5 continents  :yes:

40,000 miles (come on, nobody trusts BVM on this, right?? :lol:)

La Paz!! Our bicycles!! :yes:

Angkor Wat!! :yes:

Moscow!! :yes:

Congrats to all the TAR Detectives!!   :party:  What a TEAM!!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »
Do the distances on the route so far add up to ~40000 miles? If it's even close, then Africa would be out - it'd be a big shlep from anywhere along the current route (i guess it would be delhi/dubai if anything). I'm inclined to agree that NZ is the "fifth continent"!!