Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540816 times)

Offline tarafanatic

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I LOvE GeofF and TiShA!!
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #1175 on: October 26, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »
hello gud morning to all. may i join this forum(Thread)?? im really addicted to tara... and even though im just 16 yrs old.. i really want to join tara if i have a chance hehehe...

im so hooked up with this show.. every time i watch it.. it makes me wanna join the race hhahaha..

im form the philippines and i hope im welcome here...

Geoff and Tish till the end!!!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1176 on: October 26, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
hello gud morning to all. may i join this forum(Thread)?? im really addicted to tara... and even though im just 16 yrs old.. i really want to join tara if i have a chance hehehe...

im so hooked up with this show.. every time i watch it.. it makes me wanna join the race hhahaha..

im form the philippines and i hope im welcome here...

:sucks :js: :hithere: }:> :diver: :lock :conf: ;D :plane: :gva: :ya3: :happy: :hello2: :cheer:
:jumpy:   sure tarafanatic, jump right in....  :waves:

Offline tarafanatic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1177 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
wow thank you very much..

but im really sorry if i do not easily catch up with your discussion coz i do not know much about how to get info about the show.. so i want to be here.. would that be ok??

i can just comment to your post but i can not do what the others do.. like know the flight.,.im really sorry..  :'(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1178 on: October 26, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »
:welcome2: tarafanatic! We are VERY glad to have you here! Feel free to comment or just watch, and you never know--if they go to the Philippines some time we'll be all asking you questions!

And I didn't know how to do anything when I started here--you'll learn fast! Another pair of eyes is always good when we are looking at pictures and things for clues.

Have fun, and please let me know if you need any help! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline tarafanatic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1179 on: October 26, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
wow all of you are really kind here.. hehe.. im really lovin this forum..

i hope after i finished my studies and earn some money i can join tara whaha.. yuor really good!!..

BTW.. i have to go coz.. i need to cook our lunch.. ill be back maybe later or tomorrow thank you very much for a warm welcome...

bye bye.. thank you again!!!   :jumpy:  :waves:   :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1180 on: October 26, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
How long does each team have to wait in line in order to jump? 15 minutes?

If 15 minutes, then it's like this:

10:00AM, Geoff jumps
10:15AM, Tisha jumps
10:30AM, Sam jumps
10:45AM, Vince jumps
11:00AM, Fuzzie
11:15AM, A.D.
11:30AM, Bernie
11:45AM, Henry

12 noon, Ida jumps
12:15PM, Tania jumps

So it's not an equalizer. Ida & Tania are 2 hours behind.

This is a commercial venture and they make money depending on how many people they can handle. This means that 15 minutes is way too long between jumps. I estimate maybe 7.5 minutes. Also, to start at 1000 is not realistic since we know that Geoff and Tisha get on the 1120 flight to Singapore. I say start it at 0900. Then the schedule is:

Geoff 0900
Tisha 0907
Vince 0915
Sam 0922
AD 0930
fuzzie 0937
Henry 0945
Bernie 0952
Tania 1000
Ida 1007

This means that Geoff and Tisha could make it to the 1000am hydrofoil from Macau to Hong Kong Internationla Airport and Vicne and Sam would have difficulty doing so.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1181 on: October 26, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »
Which requires a change in operating hours, but certainly do-able.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline tarafanatic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1182 on: October 27, 2008, 01:42:07 AM »
all of you here are really good about this kind of stuffs..

well.. will geoff and tisha be the one to take the flight first or will they be joining the other teams in the same plane??

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1183 on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
tarafanatic, we don't know for sure. We are assuming a bunching that occurs relatively quickly because that makes the most sense. The first two teams are going to be the only teams which have a realistic opportunity to get to Hong Kong International Airport for the flight to Singapore because they reach the line first and that gives them the right to go first at Macau Tower when the hours of operation(which appear to be specially altered to have teams go before the normal opening at 1000).

My hunch is that Geoff/Tisha are the only team to make CX739. Vince/Sam are going to be just enough behind them to miss the closing of that flight(time beyond which passengers will not be added to the flight manifest due to luggage, security, distance and other concerns), but we don't really know.

Offline tarafanatic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1184 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:26 AM »
ah ok. thank you very much hehe..

i will just watch it on thursday hehe.. im really excited about it..

i hope that G and T will be on the final three.. hehe..

i hope they will do a revenge for marc and rov.. but if other teams will won its still ok.. hehe..

Offline brandoko

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #1185 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
99% of me believe that Sam and Vince won this year (the other 1% is still hoping it was Geoff and Tish) because of the Sony Cybershot commercial the two did. The same thing happened last year with Collin and Adrian despite earlier denials from AXN when the ad came out.

Sony is a major sponsor of the race, with their cameras in use throughout. They also provided some of the prizes for the winners of several legs. Having said all that, why would they pick a non-winning tandem to endorse their product?

If indeed this speculation is turns out to be true, it's okay with me. At least it was not the sister act of Henrietta and Bernie!!!

:wohoo:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1186 on: October 27, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »
:welcome: to RFF brandoko!  :ty4posting

I've wondered the same thing ever since AXN changed their initial photo from this to this .

Makes more sense to have a friendly looking, approachable team photo if they are winners, doesn't it?

But we have not yet seen that Sony AXN commercial anywhere, so if you have a way to share it with us, please do!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1187 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
Peach has asked for an analysis whether Oman to Kenya/Tanzania flights are better than Kenya/Tanzania flights. Simply put, they aren't better. I have run analysis tha is effctively a 2 x 4 x 4 x either 3 or 2 matrix to look at this. Since it is too lengthy to go here, I sill provide this summary:

1. The most inportant fact is that Kenya/Tanzania are to the southwest of Oman. There is a very minor of the jetstream favoring southwest to northeast flights over northeast to southwest, but this is not significant.

2. I have looked at flights in both directions with one end being Muscat and the other Nairobi, Mombasa, Dar-Es-Salaam and Kilimanjaro International (Arusha's international airport, not the domestic one). Those are the 4 airports in Kenya and Tanzania which give access to any of the "bush scenes" that are desirable.

3. To/from Nairobi flights are typically one connection in Dubai. To get to Mombasa or Kilimanjaro International typically you go through Nairobi, so those flights have 3 legs. To get to/from Dar-Es-Salaam, besides the 3 leg route through Nairobi there are also possibilities of connecting in Doha (2 legs) or Addis Ababa (3 legs) or Mumbai(3 legs).

4. Schedules are generally not much different whether you go in one direction or the other.

So, once we have more information to help determine where episode 9 goes I will be able to pull out up to 4 sets of flights for any of those 4 destinations.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1188 on: October 27, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
Peach:

I thought I had read your post #1169 throroughly the first time, but that has not proven to be the case. You stated:

Leg 9 Cochin to East Africa??   either NEL or TBC
Leg 10 East Africa?? to  Muscat, Oman   Elim, 3 teams remain
Leg 11 Muscat, Oman to Finale, location unknown possibly back to Thailand

OR

Leg 9 Cochin to Muscat, Oman  either NEL or TBC
Leg 10 Muscat, Oman to  East Africa??   Elim, 3 teams remain
Leg 11 East Africa to Finale, location unknown possibly back to Thailand by "Tradition"

BLUE=speculation

Thoughts? Ideas? Spoilers?

Well, I have at least one idea and it relates to where the Finale will be. You indicate above that it could be in Thailand by "Tradition", obviously that of finishing in the same locale where the race started.  I think it is too predictable and boring to have such a tradition and I do not see such a tradition to start with. There was one race, ARA2 which started at Singapore and finished at Sentosa Island in the Singapore area. The first race ARA1 started in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and finished in Malaysia in the Kuching area at Baku National Park. I don't think you should call it a tradition with only 2 data points. If ARA3 does finish in Thailand, it might be in the Phuket area.

I think that Beijing or any of dozens of other Asian cities each individually are a finite bet. Add them all up and the total probability will be much larger than the total probability for Thailand's cities.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1189 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Sicne we do not have a dedicated ARA3 thread for Timelines, Timetables and Flight Information (all 3 together, not the Historical Timelines thread that already exists), I have received requests to have the flight information for the upcoming leg in a more accessible place than has been the case. Here is what I have for ARA3 Hong Kong to Cochin:

Preferred for HKG SIN is CX739 1120 1510
Alternates are SQ863 1330 1720 or CX735 1415 1800 or CX711 1615 2000
In all cases teams wait in Singapore for
SilkAir468   SIN COK 2155 2350 (note: one version of this schedule had it move up by 2 hours; I don't know which is right)

Now you may hear about how some teams trotted off from Singapore to reach Cochin via Delhi. I say that nobody in their right mind would do that unless they had a poor travel agent or the SilkAir nonstop to Cochin was full or if limits were imposed by either SilkAir or World Race Productions. Since the Air India 481 flight to Delhi leaves 4.5  to 6.5 hours before SilkAir does, it is easy to see how a neophyte traveler could respond to the opportunity to get on their way. But from there you have to connect in Delhi to Mumbai and then again in Mumbai to get to Cochin, arriving at 0230 the next day.

There are no other nonstop flights Singapore to Cochin and any departures much after AI481 will lead to later arrival than 0230.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1190 on: October 27, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
Thank you so much for doing that--I know we have had all this info since June/July but it really helps to see it again.

Is there any way an AirIndia agent could ticket the Silk Air flight?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1191 on: October 27, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
Oh, and one more:

Is it easier to go Cochin-Oman-Tanzania-wherever
OR
Cochin-Tanzania-Oman--wherever?

Assuming we are lucky enough to get to go to Tanzania which remains spec?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1192 on: October 27, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
I also have a request for estimating which flights each team will make out of Hong Kong Airport. To make this work I have to borrow the assumptions from my own table from post #1180:

Geoff/Tisha done Macau Tower SkyJump 0915
Vince/Sam done 0930
AD/Fuzzie done 0945
Bernie/Henry done 1000
Ida/Tania done 1015

All teams could be expected to get to the Macau Ferry terminal ASAP. This takes about 30 minutes including getting off the tower. That determines when each team can catch the direct hydrofoil from Macau to Hong Kong International airport. for that I need to borrow from peach's post #1142. Departures for this 45 minute ride are at 1000, 1230, 1345, 1500, and 1645. Geoff/Tisha will be able to  make the 1000 sailing, but nobody else will. The other 4 teams should all be on the 1230 sailing. Geoff/Tisha will be on CX739 HKG SIN 1120 1510, while the others will be on CX735 1415 1800.  

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1193 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
Thank you so much for doing that--I know we have had all this info since June/July but it really helps to see it again.

Is there any way an AirIndia agent could ticket the Silk Air flight?
Peach, the answer has not changed. It is "I don't know" but I would certainly suspect they could because most airlines are able to ticket for most other airlines(although not some budget airlines). I don't think Geoff/Tisha are as stupid as they would appear if they fly to Delhi without investigating the SilkAir flight. In terms of the race, it will probably not matter as all teams are likely to find an hours of operation restriction when they get to Cochin. Teams arriving at 0230 will just get less sleep.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1194 on: October 27, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »
Oh, and one more:

Is it easier to go Cochin-Oman-Tanzania-wherever
OR
Cochin-Tanzania-Oman--wherever?

Assuming we are lucky enough to get to go to Tanzania which remains spec?
peach, you have succeeded in asking me a question I already know the answer to. I looked at how teams would get to Kenya/Tanzania from Cochin. The answer is via Dubai(which is right next to Oman). That effectively decouples that Cochin to Dubai segment. In other words, all of the conclusions in my post addressing this subject apply. See above.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1195 on: October 27, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
We can't rule out the helicopter here yet.

Chateau is working on getting us some times at the Macau Tower so hopefully that will help. :yess:

So, make it easy for me? :lol:

It is therefore easier to go Cochin--Oman--Tanzania?  And we can get them back to Finale Asian City without too much grief from there?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1196 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Reflection of the sun from the sea surface indicate that this shot was taken between 6:30 and 7:30 am (assumes June 1st).

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1197 on: October 27, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
^^ I thought they open at 10AM?  :duno:
For TARA, they can open anytime.  :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1198 on: October 27, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
 EARLY  opening time!!!  :jumpy:

:ty

But wait...that means that can't possibly be Ida, right? ???

So who is it? Can't be Tania or Ida that early, we already saw Tisha --so Bernie??
================================
Then who is this? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1199 on: October 27, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »
We can't rule out the helicopter here yet.

Chateau is working on getting us some times at the Macau Tower so hopefully that will help. :yess:

So, make it easy for me? :lol:

It is therefore easier to go Cochin--Oman--Tanzania?  And we can get them back to Finale Asian City without too much grief from there?

Peach:
I have indicated in the "analysis above" that there is no difference between going to Kenya/Tanzania first and then to Oman or Oman first and then to Kenya/Tanzania. You will likely be going through Dubai no matter what. If you start the final leg in Nairobi, to pick a place(also beacuse Mombasa, Arusha and Dar-Es-Salaam all tend to fed from and to there to get back to Dubai), then you will have to get to Dubai while if you start the final leg in Oman you are already very close to Dubai.

Can you get to Final Asian city from Dubai easily? There are flights(not all nonstop) to a lot of places in Asia from Dubai. From a cursory look to catch just the large cities, I found these 75 cities(except not those in Siberia nor any islands except Japan and Taiwan and Sri Lanka which are included):

Abu Dhabi
Adano
Agra
Ahmedabad
Almaty
Ankara
Astana
Baghdad
Bahewaipur
Bahrain
Baku
Bangalore
Beijing
Bhubaneswar
Chengdu
Chennai
Chiang Mai
Cochin (which it won't be)
Colombo
Damascus
DaNang
Dhaka
Doha
Dubai
Guangzhou
Hanoi
Ho Chi Minh City
Hong Kong
Hyderabad
Inchon/Seoul
Isfahan
Izmir
Jeddah
Kabul
Kandahar
Kaohsiung
Karachi
Kathmandu
Kolkata
Krabi
Kuala Lumpur
Kunming
Lahore
Lucknow
Macau
Mandalay
Manglore
Medina
Mosul
Muscat
Mumbai
Nagoya
New Delhi
Okinawa
Osaka
Penang
Perm
Peshawar
Phnom Penh
Phuket
Riyadh
Shanghai
Shiraz
Singapore
Taipei
Tashkent
Tblisi
Tehran
Tel Aviv
Tianjin
Tokyo
Trivandum
Urum Qi
Varnasi
Yangon

Ok, so what's not on this list that is surprising? ChongQing is at the top of list of these. I haven't found the others yet except for Vientiane and UlanBator.

Our Final Asian City cold be any one of the above.