Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540731 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #1125 on: October 23, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »
You are killing me Boingo! :lol3:  Took me an hour to get that!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1126 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »
You are killing me Boingo! :lol3:  Took me an hour to get that!

:-[ sorry.....  (try setting your video parameter to "blend", for a smoother picture  ;)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1127 on: October 23, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »
Oh God, would someone be THAT smart to use the helicopter?

What Ryaniiez was referring to: http://www.macau-airport.com/en/v01/07_helicopter.php

Costs a bomb though.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1128 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08:58 AM »
Ep. 8 preview:
http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/season3/race/episode7/videos/128/index.html
http://www.dailymotion.com/banzai2k/video/x76aje_t-a-r-a-3-episode-8-preview

<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k1eSF6pwCFBq3bOyZs&amp;related=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k1eSF6pwCFBq3bOyZs&amp;related=1</a>

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:43:46 AM by banzai »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1129 on: October 24, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »
That scene with jumping off a Tower is interesting. There is only one place where it could happen and that is Macau Tower. There is time in Singapore to take a taxi from the airport and back and there is the GMAX Reverse Bungy there, but it is not a match for the jump in the preview. There is nothing like bungy in Cochin.

EDITOR'S NOTE - I stated that there is no bungy in Cochin, but subsequently found a listing for:
Location: Kanteerava Stadium in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai & Cochin, India
Type: tower
Height: 180 ft
Company: AJ Hackett Bungy (India)
Comments: mobile sites

So there may be a 180 foot bungy that can be brought to the area. However, the AJHackett international website lists nothing for India.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:55:00 AM by apskip »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:37:56 AM by banzai »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1131 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »
That scene with jumping off a Tower is interesting. There is only one place where it could happen and that is Macau Tower. There is time in Singapore to take a taxi from the airport and back and there is the GMAX Reverse Bungy there, but it is not a match for the jump in the preview. There is nothing like bungy in Cochin.

EDITOR'S NOTE - I stated that there is no bungy in Cochin, but subsequently found a listing for:
Location: Kanteerava Stadium in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai & Cochin, India
Type: tower
Height: 180 ft
Company: AJ Hackett Bungy (India)
Comments: mobile sites

So there may be a 180 foot bungy that can be brought to the area. However, the AJHackett international website lists nothing for India.

It's Macau Tower (for both bungee and slide), apskip.   :lol:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:49:32 AM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1132 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:42 AM »
Thank you for the new preview banzai!

There is no doubt that the bungy is at the Macau Tower though...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1133 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
Is there an echo in here? :lol3:

okay I am slow but I am having fun w/ my new toy-- Thanks boingo!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1134 on: October 24, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
My video is clearer so I post the screencaps.

Pitstop, Geoff & Tisha
You can see buildings on the other side of the river.

Tisha is right behind him so it's not a roadblock.

Early morning?

Tuk tuk; a three wheeler.

Her watch is around 2:22PM.

Tisha is holding a green ticket and not a green clue.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1135 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
 :lol: The Macau tower has two types of "jumps".  One is the world's tallest bungee jump, and the other is the less challenging "cable decender" SkyJump (operating since 2006). 

Macau SkyJump   :sucks

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1136 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
The skyJump is what Charla did on the way down...it is something like a zip and definitely is not this. This is the real deal bungy.

Since we know from our previous work that there was an extended Pitstop in Macau, and that thanks to info from our source that G&T are seen flying on June 1, we can see that the opening Tower hours for a Sunday (June 1) would not be until 10AM unless TBTB made special arrangements.

Would both team members do it? Is this a next leg Roadblock? Or just a get a clue task that one member must perform? Are they allowed to start early?

In any case, we KNOW that G&T are next seen on this flight:

Cathay Pacific # CX739 which departed HK approx 11:20 AM on June 1.

So how to get to the HK airport? Is this where the helicopter comes in?

I have a problem with that and will post about it in awhile...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1137 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
The skyJump is what Charla did on the way down...it is something like a zip and definitely is not this. This is the real deal bungy.

ummm...sure looks like the SkyJump to me...  :lol:  (they do both)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:53:38 AM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1138 on: October 24, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
The reason I think it is a bungy is that the bungy's go off head first and come down head first, while the SkyJump comes down feet first all the way...

Here is a SkyJump YouTube to compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BR5ZYTmZW8

What am I missing? ??? I see the cable...

So maybe one team member does the Jump and one the bungy? That would be quicker for sure ...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1139 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
The reason I think it is a bungy is that the bungy's go off head first and come down head first, while the SkyJump comes down feet first all the way...

Here is a SkyJump YouTube to compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BR5ZYTmZW8

What am I missing? ??? I see the cable...

So maybe one team member does the Jump and one the bungy? That would be quicker for sure ...

:groan:  THEY SHOW BOTH METHODS in the preview....   :snicker:  draw your own conclusion.   :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1140 on: October 24, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
Oh I SEE!!  (finally, right? lol) That actually explains a good bit, because with the briefing and all I was wondering how they could keep them all jumping PDQ?

So is the very first bungy that we see Tania? She wears those overalls right? I'm not so good at noticing the outfits...  :lol:

Who else?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1141 on: October 24, 2008, 12:54:37 PM »
 :tup: good job, peach... don't know nothin' about no stinkin fashion   :lol:

Just for the record, the SkyJump is NOT a slide across a cable.  It is a controlled descent.  Notice the (vertical) cable comes from the jumpers back (harness), while the two side "ropes" appear to stabilize the drop.  Heaven knows where those "ropes" are connected.   :duno:  So, not a slide, just a controlled drop.  This frees up the jumpers feet to pose as shown in the picture.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:58:26 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1142 on: October 24, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
Okay, in regards to the helicopter...

Clearly we have one based on the screencap, and just as clearly Geoff's faux nail biting in the preview appears to be in a helicopter.  But where does that exactly come in?

Here are some shots of the interiors of Macau-HK heli rides to compare:

Looks pretty good right?

BUT (and it is a big but)...

While this would definitrly SEEM to be the best place to use that helicopter, I've looked all over this morning and cannot find a direct helicopter ride from Macao to the HK airport.

What IS available is a chopper ride from the Macau Maritime Terminal to the Sun Tek Center:

Heli Express: http://www.heliexpress.com/?structure=003

Heli Express provides helicopter shuttle services from 9:00a.m. to 11:00p.m. between  Macau and Hong Kong with flights departing every 30 minutes, and as frequent as 15 minutes during weekends and peak holidays. Passengers can experience the pleasure of journey between Macau and Hong Kong. During the voyage, passengers can enjoy a unique bird eye's view of Macau Peninsula and Victoria Harbour at the top angle.

The cost? $2200HK +$200 Sunday supplement.

But the problem is that it doesn't go to the airport:
The Hong Kong Heliport is conveniently situated at the Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan, in the hub of Hong Kong. It is located above the Sheung Wan MTR station .

This gives you some options on how to get from the HK airport to the Heliport--so just reverse it to get to the airport:
When I arrive at Hong Kong International Airport, how can I get to HK heliport?
Ans: There are several options to get from the Hong Kong International Airport to the Hong Kong Heliport:

1) Via Airport Express
First, take the Airport Express to the Hong Kong Station in Central
Fare: HK$100 (Single trip)
Frequency: Every 10 minutes
Journey Time: 23 minutes
Operating hours: 05:50 – 00:48
Then take a taxi to the Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal at Sheung Wan
Fare: HK$15 – 20

2) By public bus no. A11
Get off at the third stop after departing the airport, when “HK-Macau Ferry Terminal” is announced.
Fare: HK$40
Operating hours: 05:00 – 00:48
Frequency: Every 15 minutes
Journey time: 30 – 40 minutes

3) By taxi
Fare: HK$350 – 400
Journey time: 30 minutes

So 16 minutes flying time + the trip to the airport once in HK....seems to negate the flying time advantage.

UNLESS they did not want to wait for the direct TurboJet which DOES go direct to the airport.

And look, you can even do the Immigration there and be checked in to your plane, so seems an advantage, as long as you can get on promptly.

For Connecting Flights at Hong Kong International Airport

Airline and baggage check-in service available at Check-in Counter on 1/F, Departure Hall. Boarding pass of participating airlines will be issued to passenger after check-in and passengers will not need to go through any check-in procedures upon arriving SkyPier and also no need to go through immigration formalities at Hong Kong International Airport. Baggage will be tagged and delivered to the designated flight.

Participating airlines:
Cathay Pacific Airways / Dragonair / Japan Airlines / Hong Kong Airlines / HK Express Airways

Notes:
- Check-in counter closing time: 30 minutes before sailing time (please check sailing schedule in advance for flight connection)
- Passengers should arrive at HKIA at least 90 minutes before flight departure
- Japan Airlines only applicable to flight no: JL736, JL732, JL702 (Final destination of the journey should be in Tokyo or Osaka)
- There will be a service charge of HK$20 for each passenger using the service

This takes you directly to the Hong Kong International Airport  SkyPier and costs substantially less. (I calculate about $308 US for the flight?)

1.00 HKD = 0.128991 USD
Hong Kong Dollars    United States Dollars 
1 HKD = 0.128991 USD   1 USD = 7.75248 HKD

The Macau pataca is pegged to the Hong Kong dollar (which is in turn pegged to the U.S. dollar) at a rate of $103.20 ptcs to HK$100; if you're going to be in Macau for only a short time, there's no need to change your money into patacas since Hong Kong dollars are readily accepted everywhere in Macau. Hotel rates, in fact, are generally quoted only in Hong Kong dollars. If you do exchange U.S. dollars or U.K. pounds (which you can do at banks, generally open weekdays from 9am to 5pm; at hotels; or an ATM at the ferry), you'll receive approximately $8 ptcs for each US$1, $15 ptcs for each £1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 So despite all this, we know G&T make that 11:20 AM flight and realistically prob need to be at the airport at least an hour ahead of time, then add whatever transport they do take and you have a BUNGY/SkyJump time well before opening hours at the Tower.

So either a special opening time was arranged OR these jumps were done on May 31 during the extended Pitstop....  Just a thought.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1143 on: October 24, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »
 :funny:  oooohhhh! now I see where the side "ropes" are connected in the SkyJump.   :groan:

Offline bikermama

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1144 on: October 24, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
It's possible that the voice over is just a red herring. Perhaps everyone gets to fly the helicopter back to HKG.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1145 on: October 24, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
 :tup: nice analysis, peach.  If it were up to me I'd opt for the HK Airport Express (whose station is only about 0.5 miles from the Ferry Terminal/Helipad), but given the racers impatience, they probably will take a cab to the airport.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1146 on: October 24, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
And I vote for the helicopter flight to be in Cochin. It is far too expensive for any team to afford this. I think the logical route is direct TurboJet from Macau Ferry Terminal to Hong-Kong International Airport. It is very difficult to find "how long it takes" information, but I finally succeeded. Here is the answer:

Transportation Options
From Hong Kong International Airport to Macau
(updated 10/07/03)
If flying into Hong Kong, ferry transportation is required from there to Macau.
Ferry service is offered from two (2) service providers.
The newest of the two services, TurboJET provides the quickest trip time (45
minutes) to Macau. Four (4) trips per day are offered with departures at 1030,
1430, 1720 and 2030. Return trips from Macau to Hong Kong are available at
0910, 1210, 1540 and 1900.

Now, the above is a 2003-dated document so I expect that the departure times may have changed but I don't expect that the trip is either shorter or longer. It's a long way on the water from Kowloon to Macau but a significantly shorter to Lantau Island, which is where the new Hong Kong International Airport was built. I think the 45 minutes for the trip plus the departure time of 1120 is infeasible for anyone starting after 10am at Macau Tower. Here is why:

Macau tower to Macau Ferry Terminal - I am guessing 15 minutes(including time to purchase a ticket)
Macau Ferry Terminal to HK Int. Airport - 45 minutes
Booking a flight and getting through security and to departure gate - need about 45 minutes

Given the eyewitness knowledge that Geoff/Tisha were on the 1120 flight, we can infer that Macau Tower was available to ARA3 teams before 10am. How much more is anyone's guess.

The corollary question is whether anyone making the 1000 turboJet sailing to HK Int. Airport could make that flight. If they reached that airport at 1045 it is barely conceivable that they might make a 1120 flight.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1147 on: October 24, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
Boingo, I've been to Macau and also to Lantau Island (before the new airport construction) and I can assure you that "given the racers impatience, they probably will take a cab to the airport" does not compute. It is a long stretch of water on all sides of Lantau Island although there is a bridge connecting to it now that didn't used to exist. You can't get from Macau over to the side where that bridge by car or bus or any land transportation. You have to go by air or sea.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1148 on: October 24, 2008, 03:17:19 PM »
Boingo, I've been to Macau and also to Lantau Island (before the new airport construction) and I can assure you that "given the racers impatience, they probably will take a cab to the airport" does not compute. It is a long stretch of water on all sides of Lantau Island although there is a bridge connecting to it now that didn't used to exist. You can't get from Macau over to the side where that bridge by car or bus or any land transportation. You have to go by air or sea.

ummm...you seem a bit confused apskip.  I believe peach showed some possible ways to get from HK Island to HK Airport.  I merely pointed out that when the racers get to HK-Macau Ferry terminal (either by ferry or helo), that their two logical choices would then be taxi or HK Airport Express to the airport.  Obviously you haven't been to HK in a very long time.  The bridge you mentioned previously carries both vehicle and train traffic.  No kidding, the only way to get from Macau to HK Island is by air or sea.  Duh!  The speculation was getting to the airport from HK Island.  This is not rocket science, but then again, its fodder for endless discussion.   :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1149 on: October 24, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
No, Boingo, that is not the speculation, which is about getting from Macau directly to Hong Kong Airport. Getting from
Hong Kong Island to Hong Kong Int. Airport is not the issue. To do that you first have to take a longer TurboJet into Hong Kong Island the HK/Macau Ferry terminal. When you combine that with the time to head back in the direction you just came from to Lantau Island, the sum of those two times is unreasonable compared to thte 45 minutes direct Macau to Kong Kong Int. Airport. You would only do it if you just missed one of the 4 departure times for the direct TurboJet.