Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540892 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2008, 02:59:54 PM »
banzai...for all that looks like a hole in the crematorium wall to me...  :lol:  I wonder if they might be looking for a pull a number thingy to see who gets on the first bus here? They have certainly done that in TAR before...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »
So something like this.  :wohoo:

After the bug eating task, Neena & Amit (India) change their clothes.

They go to this clue box and grab a bag.

Search for something like a bus ticket.

And then get on the bus to Chiang Mai.

Voila. OK, I'll go with that.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »
should be right inside the main entrance
Nice catch! "Ratchaphruek hill" is right at the main entrance (gallery on this page).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
 :hfive: Banzai! The team is on a roll here!

Maybe Boingo will do us a Chiang Mai "where they go" GE map...so far we know the bus station, the Royal Floral Garden and the X-centre, right?

And for what it is worth, I was led to believe that this leg definitely has an "extreme" task, so hopefully gokarts and off road racing isn't the whole story??

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »
should be right inside the main entrance
Nice catch! "Ratchaphruek hill" is right at the main entrance (gallery on this page).

Love those skyscraper guys! But would never in a million years thought to look there for this.  :groan:  Thanks slowhatch!

So the little tree is a "Golden Shower" tree?  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »

Kapil & Niroo (India), A.D. & Fuzzie (Singapore), Geoff & Tisha (Philippines), Ida & Tania (Malaysia), Sam & Vince (Hong Kong) are in this shot.

Natalie & Pailin (Thailand) are also in this shot.
Pailin is sitting on the table.
Only racers can sit on the table.

She is wearing a black shorts and a white tank.

So all of those racers should be on the last bus.

Ida & Tania (Malaysia), Mai & Oliver (Thailand), Geoff and Trisha (Philippines), A.D. & Fuzzie (Singapore), Kapil & Niroo (India), Sam & Vince (Hong Kong) were spotted in another country.

So it's a battle between

Bernie & Henry (Malaysia),
Natalie & Pailin (Thailand),
William & Isaac (South Korea),
Neena & Amit (India)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:05:39 PM by banzai »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »
Spoilers for the second elimination leg. (AXN Leg 2 or 3??)   May 22-23

Since it looks like we have a very good handle on Leg 1/2  (whether it ends up being labelled 1/2 or just 1), I thought perhaps it is time to move onto Leg 3?

Some time ago, a new friend (who has requested to remain anonymous) shared some in-depth information about this leg with me. That person has been exceedingly generous with information and time, and I want to say a personal BIG :thankyou: for all the help! :yourock:

Okay then... This leg begins with 9 racers, and sadly neither Natalie or Pailin were seen during this leg, according to the source.

(Note:  teams were previously spotted in the Chiang Mai airport on May 22, presumably on the way to Saigon.)

**The racers arrive in HCMC (Saigon) late in the evening. They are first looking for a clue in a flower shop, which does not open until 6AM. At least 2 teams return to wait at the shop by 4AM, but some teams apparently do not arrive until afternoon.

This actually works very well with our first Saigon spoiler brought to us by puddin, HERE . JonLover was able to reach the blogger and she shared some further info with us HERE .  She saw the teams at the Q-BAR near the Caravelle Hotel, near Opera House sometime between 10-12PM.

Unfortunately, she reported a mistaken date (May 21) for the sighting to us which caused much teeth gnashing,  :pull , and  :wall:, and  :argue: as we struggled to make the dates fit in an already tight schedule. But even though the date was clearly incorrect, I still believe that the sighting has validity.

** Once teams have their clue, they procede to the Ben Thanh market  where they catch a bus to the "southwest" of VietNam. (The flower shop may be quite near or across the street from the market. ) The trip is reported to take "some hours".

From Slowhatch: If you have GE this download will put a 3D model of Ben Thanh market on the map. You can see the buses lined up at the station across the square.

** Once teams reach their location, they have a choice between two Detours.
The first is to deliver some goods by boat on a river (assumption of a floating market here) OR chasing and catching some chickens.

Anyone remember this leg in TAR3?    Day 23 (9/3): Flights via Kuala Lumpur to Ho Chi Min City, taxis to statue of Bac Ho in Rex Square. Then taxis proceed to floating market in Cai Be (Mekong Delta) for Easy Buy/Hard Sell Detour. Then back to Ho Chi Minh City to 2A Ton Duc Thang, District 1. Cyclo/ferry Roadblock to Café Thu Thiem pit stop [Derek/Drew eliminated].

Day 24 (9/4): Leg 12: Early departures, booking train to Hue. 24-hour train ride begins.

Day 25 (9/5): Taxis to Imperial Palace, then to Nam O Da Nang for Basket Boats/Bikes Detour. To boat quay in Hoi An (fishing platform Roadblock), then to China Beach pit stop [non-elimination].

Day 26 (9/6): Leg 13: Early departures to route marker at Guang Minh Temple in Da Nang, which directs them to arrange flights to Honolulu at a local travel agency before traveling via train to Hanoi.

That has brought up the possibility of Cai Be as the floating market teams may have visited, since we know TARA likes to re-use former TAR locations.
Cai Be, one of the many well-known floating markets in the western region of southern Vietnam was formed in the Nguyen Dynasty in the 19th century. The Cai Be Floating Market is always busy, bearing all the characteristics of the locals’ life in the western region.

All the goods are transported to the market by rafts and boats. The floating market lies in the Tien River, adjacent to three provinces of Tien Giang, Vinh Long and Ben Tre.

The market is divided into two parts: buying and selling places. Rafts and boats are anchored along the two sides of the river for kilometres. From the floating market, goods are shifted for selling at inland markets or small boats take them for delivery along canals in the Plain of Reeds.

From three 3am in the early morning, rafts and boats are crowded because Cai Be is one of the biggest wholesale markets in the region. Traders live on the river and some link their lives with boats like their mobile house for generations. Cai Be seems to be an inseparable part of their daily lives.

On each boat, goods are hung on poles that are called dialectically “cay beo”. Hundreds of such poles point the sky wards. Boats also operate like “taxis,” very convenient for tourists around the region.

**Following the detours, teams again take a bus back to HCMC, and proceed to the Saigon Zoo which is also the site of the Pitstop.

One team is eliminated. It seems a little early to me to reveal who this is, but I will say for now that it is a M/M team.

So missing is a Roadblock (unless it is at the zoo?)...but I think this gives us a broad outline of what looks to be a very exciting leg.  :hearts:

If you choose to share this information elsewhere, please note that RFF would prefer that you only provide a link back to this post, and not copy the info provided here. Feel free to ask if you have questions!

Link: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.msg338179.html#msg338179

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:58:41 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #357 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Given the above Saigon leg, I wanted to do a little Timeline/transportation speculation here.

Confirmed dates:

Teams leave Chiang Mai for Saigon May 22.

Teams are spotted (with photo evidence) in Hue at Imperial City on May 25.

I think that gives us two possibilities here. Apskip actually brought up the possibility of trains from HCMC to Hue first, I believe, way back....

Either

April 21 to Chiang Mai >>tasks>> Pitstop
April 22 dep Chiang Mai to Saigon, by plane,  late arrival
April 23 Saigon to Mekong, back to Saigon >>Pitstop  
April 24  dep Saigon>>16++  hour train to Hue
April 25 Hue Imperial palace>> pitstop

OR

April 21 to Chiang Mai >>tasks>> Pitstop
April 22 dep Chiang Mai to Saigon, by plane,  late arrival
April 23 Saigon to Mekong, back to Saigon >>Pitstop  
April 24  extended Pitstop
April 25 fly Saigon to Hue >>Imperial palace>> pitstop

Given the relentless run-a-racer-ragged pace so far, I would think a train sounds perfect here.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
A few bits and pieces!

Here is a great Interactive map (also nice photos) of the Cai Be area:

http://realtravel.com/cai_be-tien_giang-destmap-d3221970-50.html

Train info and schedules Saigon to Hue:

In case you were wondering, 'Ho Chi Minh City' is the name of the whole conurbation - 'Saigon' is still the name of the city itself, and it is 'Saigon' which appears in the railway timetables and on the station name boards...

Train S3 from Hanoi to Saigon passes through the lush green hills between Hue and Danang. This is the most scenic section of line, running along the coast past bays and islands and through the hills. The train travels at low speed up the fierce gradients, with an assisting locomotive at the rear and people sitting on the roof..!

The best and fastest train in Vietnam is train E1 (Southbound) / E2 (Northbound) introduced in 2002. This train uses the most modern rolling stock, with large picture windows unobstructed by the wire mesh that protects most other trains' windows from stones. Choose this train if you can, but it's proving very popular, and it's often difficult to get berths on unless you book well in advance.

The second best train in Vietnam is train S1 (Southbound) / S2 (Northbound), pictured below left. The S1/S2 coaches are all refurbished and painted red whereas most other Vietnamese trains are green. The next best train is the S3 / S4. Each of these trains has a full range of classes of accommodation. Other trains generally use rolling stock that is much older.
http://www.bienngoccruise.com/Train.asp

http://www.vietnamopentour.com.vn/vietnam-tour/mini-breaks/saigon-hanoi-train.html

Map of Saigon Zoo:

From Slowhatch:  :thankyou:

This Panoramio shot will help spot the zoo, and Diadem is the best street-mapping site I've found for Vietnam.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:47:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
:jumpy: :hearts: :jumpy:

And our Chiang Mai blogger has sent a quick and wonderfully detailed response!
Re: Chiang Mai Amazing Race

Hey Peach,
Well I'm definitely a little surprised that you some how found my one reference
to the amazing race in my blog.  I'd love to know how you found it?

so the details that I have:
-There were three couples.  one was two shorter women.  they had black backpacks
on and on the packs were yellow stickers that had an army slogan (i.e. "you can
do it"
). 

We can see the army slogan now. "You can do it".
That's A.D. & Fuzzie (Singapore).

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »

Found it on Google Earth. Something like that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2008, 11:29:58 PM »
Cool banzai!  :lol:

Yes, Meg our Chiang Mai blogger confirmed the ones in black as AD and Fuzzie--she was pretty sure... :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
UPDATED ARA3 TIMELINE (modified Aug. 28)

Note that I show an extended pitstop in Saigon and another in Hanoi. They are going to be somewhere and those are the most logical times to have them. Some are likely to take issue with my timing of the Bangkok leg (very short to accommodate a pitstop and day bus to Chiang Mai). Others will not agree with my belief that taking the train from Saigon to Hue is not possible due to that extended pitstop. However, I call them as I see them. My most significant assumption is the Hanoi leg, which I consider to be necessary given geography and timing. I show 9 legs in what will be 15 days when the Cochin pitstop is reached, while we know there are likely to be at least 2 more somewhere.

May 19 Beijing - start of ARA3; pitstop

May 20 leg 2 begins; teams spotted in Beijing airport before 935am and then mid afternoon at Khao San Road in Bangkok

PEK BKK TG675 0830 1215  connecting in Bangkok to TG116 BKK CNX 1715 1825

then brief tasks in Bangkok and pitstop

May 21 leg 3 begins
 teams take 10 hour bus to Chiang Mai leaving Bangkok at 0900 arriving Chiang Mai 1700
tasks in Chiang Mai, with pitstop around midnight

May 22  leg 4 begins with release from pitstop around noon
fly to Saigon via Bangkok - TG111 CNX BKK 1440 1550 connecting with TG686 BKK SGN 1815 1945
tasks in Saigon

May 23 more tasks in Saigon(Ho Chi Minh City); extended pitstop begins  

May 24 pitstop continues

May 25 leg 5 begins; train not possible due to the extended pitstop(but would be if one day earlier without extended pitstop);
 VN250  0700 0820 SGN HUI or VN252 1130 1250;
sighting at Imperial City;
pitstop

May 26 begin leg 6 Hue to Hanoi; NOTE that Hanoi is speculation on my part. it makes eminent sense based on the geography and timing, but there are other possiblities of much lower probability that could have been the desintation of leg 6(an example being Guangzhou, China)
VN244 HUE HAN   1210 1320
Hanoi tasks

May 27 Hanoi more tasks; pitstop

May 28 begin leg 7 Hanoi to Hong Kong
VN790 HAN HKG 1105 1355 or
VN792 HAN HKG 1910 2000
tasks in Hong Kong

May 29 complete tasks in Hong Kong; pitstop

May 30  begin leg 8 and travel to Macau after taking hydrofoil in under 1 hour
tasks;  pitstop

May 31 pitstop continues

June 1 begin leg 9; return to Hong Kong Airport by hydrofoil; fly to Singapore;
most probable flights are CX717 0855 1230 or SQ857 1030 1410 or CX739 1120 1505
then connect on to Cochin SilkAir468   SIN COK 2020 2215

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »
In the spoilers apskip we have documented the start line completely iin Bangkok, so Beijing seems to be out and the race starts on 5/20.

Why do you need an extended pitstop in Saigon? I see that it fits and agree w/ that, but why the need? We just lost a couple of days on the race...5/20 to about 6/8 doesn't leave us much time and I wonder if they will have any at all this time...

And I would love it if you could show us some of the later flight options for getting them in to Saigon late evening....maybe after 8PM??

Thank you!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »

From the bus stop to X-Centre is about 11 miles. 
From X-centre to the Royal Flora Garden is about 12 miles.

There are a lot of rice paddies between the bus stop and X-Centre.  :tup:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
6 hours ago, Jaa2008 says:         

The taxi which the racers caught to task #1 called "Rod Daeng"
"Rod" means car/taxi
"Daeng" means red color
So, "Rod Daeng" is mean Red taxi.
They have only in Chiang Mai... :)

from AXN. Jonlover's friend.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
So the first task might be downtown? There's a color scheme for the songthaew here and here; the red ones mostly stick to Old Town. If they wanted to transfer, Warorot market (go here, choose Chiang Mai from the dropdown box and click on #11 Warorot) is the nexus. As I wrote to Peach, a tuktuk would be cheaper and faster, but there wouldn't be much room left for the crew.   :js:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
6 hours ago, Jaa2008 says:         
In Chiang Mai, they don't have a "Tuk-Tuk".
They have only red taxi(s) and buses in the town. :)
They have buses less than red taxi(s)...
So, red taxi(s) are full running on the road.

The guy said there's no tuktuk in Chiang Mai. He was borned in Chiang Mai.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:32 AM »
from the "official" guide to Chiang Mai it says tuk-tuks are plentiful...   :duno:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »
In the spoilers apskip we have documented the start line completely iin Bangkok, so Beijing seems to be out and the race starts on 5/20.

Why do you need an extended pitstop in Saigon? I see that it fits and agree w/ that, but why the need? We just lost a couple of days on the race...5/20 to about 6/8 doesn't leave us much time and I wonder if they will have any at all this time...

And I would love it if you could show us some of the later flight options for getting them in to Saigon late evening....maybe after 8PM??

Thank you!!

Peach:
I will do my best to answer your concerns:

1. What happened to Allan Wu on the plane to Beijing on May 18?  I am not going to abandon Beijing where we have a documented airport sighting just becuase new evidence appears to show the start line in Bangkok.

2. The logic on why an extended pitstop is simple. It starts with your edict that teams must arrive in Saigon on the evening of May 22. Also, the sighting at the Imperial City in Hue is May 25. That leaves about 2.5 days to spend in Saigon and getting to Hue. Getting to Hue takes only a few hours on the plane. If you wanted to eliminate the extended pitstop, then there would be time to do the train from Saigon to Hue. I don't want to eliminate it because with the time starting the late evening May 22 to do tasks in Saigon through maybe 5pm on May 23 teams will be busy and also after release from the pitstop the morning of My 25 to fly SGN HUI. What is the only thing that can bridge that gap? Why, an extended pitstop. Look at the timeline after Hue and you find that teams do not need to get to Hue any sooner than the morning of May 25.

3. I have already answered you by PM on the why can't flights be found for arrival between 8pm and 10pm. My answer is because they don't exist or require lengthy multiple connecting routes that make them useless. I challenge you to tell me how 1945 is not essentially 8pm in the greater scheme of things.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »

According to my calculation, they start out around 1PM-2PM.

That's what the shadow looks like at 8AM.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, that's what it looks like if the afternoon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I line up the North pole right.

If that is the case, then it's something like this:

2PM: Start TARA3
2:15PM: eat bug for about 1-2 hours
3-4PM: do a Detour for about 1-2 hours
6-8PM: do a Roadblock for about 1-2 hours
7:49PM: sunset in Bangkok
8PM:

They go to this clue box and grab a yellow bag.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »

Peach:
I will do my best to answer your concerns:

1. What happened to Allan Wu on the plane to Beijing on May 18?  I am not going to abandon Beijing where we have a documented airport sighting just becuase new evidence appears to show the start line in Bangkok.

We never had Allan Wu in Beijing. We had him on a Singapore to HK flight on 5/18 and we assumed it would work to place him in Beijing to match our never confirmed "we passed the Amazing Race in Beijing sighting" by the Mongolian missionaries.  I know, it grieves me too to lose Beijing...unless it turns up later on?

And the start doesn't appear to be in Bangkok, it IS in Bangkok.

2. The logic on why an extended pitstop is simple. It starts with your edict that teams must arrive in Saigon on the evening of May 22. Also, the sighting at the Imperial City in Hue is May 25. That leaves about 2.5 days to spend in Saigon and getting to Hue. Getting to Hue takes only a few hours on the plane. If you wanted to eliminate the extended pitstop, then there would be time to do the train from Saigon to Hue. I don't want to eliminate it because with the time starting the late evening May 22 to do tasks in Saigon through maybe 5pm on May 23 teams will be busy and also after release from the pitstop the morning of My 25 to fly SGN HUI. What is the only thing that can bridge that gap? Why, an extended pitstop. Look at the timeline after Hue and you find that teams do not need to get to Hue any sooner than the morning of May 25. 

Okay, I totally agree that an extended pitstop could absolutely fit here. I just read this as we NEED to have one. I am getting more convinced by the day and by McKay's comments that they are going to push the racers hard. Look at the first legs. One night sleeping on a bus, one pitstop, one night cruising Saigon--not sure extended pitstops will be a part of this race. But it certainly could fit here timewise and would be a good place if they want to have one.
3. I have already answered you by PM on the why can't flights be found for arrival between 8pm and 10pm. My answer is because they don't exist or require lengthy multiple connecting routes that make them useless. I challenge you to tell me how 1945 is not essentially 8pm in the greater scheme of things.

I did not understand that there were not later flights, thanks for clearing that up. Okay, then if we see some teams in the airport around 2, maybe these are the LAST teams if this is the last flight? Maybe what we need are a couple of flights earlier in the day for the earlier racers? Although sort of surprising to me that Geoff and Trisha are in w/ AD/Fuzie in the last group...  But thanks! That helps a lot!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #372 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »
Nice job banzai!! We know Andrew (who took the pidture) was there sometime after 12...and I think Chateau did times on the before the racers arrived bug table somewhere too...

This all helps because I keep thinking we need MORE in Bangkok? Something else to perhaps make a Detour/Roadblock. And to live up to the "when you see it you will know it" comments. I hope they meant more than bugs! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
My speculation for TARA3 episodes:
1: TBC
2: U-Turn + elimination
3: NEL
4: Speed Bump + elimination
5: elimination
6: U-Turn + elimination
7: FF + NEL
8: Speed Bump + elimination
9: NEL
10: Speed Bump + elimination
11: FF + NEL
12: Speed Bump + elimination
13: finale

Hehe, so many Speed Bumps. 2 U-Turns, 2 Fast Forward (FF), 4 NELs, and 4 Speed Bumps.
Good luck, racers.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »
I'd love that banzai! But I don't think we are going to have 13 episodes....  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule: