Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540791 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #625 on: September 18, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
anticipating LEG 3 here ... :popcorn:

Here you can see the American version The Amazing Race season 3 Vietnam Episode video thanks to creatv , Ho Chi Minh to Hue.

Hue~
blog~

(This entry was posted on June 1, 2008 at 9:47 am)

I went to the Citadel that afternoon since I have time. Went into the Imperial City. It was so-so, perhaps because I have no guide, perhaps I should have studied harder when we were studying Chinese influence in Vietnam then, anyhow, I saw Allan Wu. Then I realized that they were filming a leg of the Amazing Race Asia there. Haha. I walked past him nonchalantly. He’s no Takeshi Kaneshiro.
A team asked me for direction. I told them a very general direction. I hope they didn’t get lost, otherwise I would always be that cursed Asian tourist. Haha.

As promised, here is the picture taken by Shirley. Thanks Shirley.

This picture was taken here between 11:54 and 11:59 am (assumes May 25th).

This is an extremely fast-moving shadow situation.  If the shot was taken at 12:04 pm we would see the cyclo's shadow parallel to the curb!

Although it is covered by a cloud, this is a Panoramio shot that has been pinned to this location.  See how the lamp posts are the same.   :tup:

Shirley, our delightful blogger from Hue, has responded to JonLover's and my questions in a joint email  :lol:--we both seem to have asked her lots of questions about the teams she saw...so hope it's okay if I share this reply!

From JonLover's previous post:

It was 25 May. It was about late 2pm to 3pm. I remember I was starving then.

I saw Allan Wu and his crew in the imperial palace. After I left the imperial palace, right outside the gate, I saw a Caucasian pair, (they are quite big) running towards the imperial palace.

Following behind them were two ladies, they are quite big, carrying their backpacks. I was carrying a bottle of water, and she asked if that was hers.

The third team I saw (I think, I can't remember with the time lapse) was cycling/riding a cyclo (a traditional mode of transportation in Vietnam). They had to ride the cyclo to the destination I think. I saw them hold a TARA slip, possibly the clue. These teams were quite close to each other.

Then as I was walking across the Perfume River, I saw another team. I was quite tickled so I stopped to take a picture. That's the only picture I took. It was actually the guy cycling/riding the cyclo, but he stopped where I was to change with the girl. That's the team who asked me for direction. I pointed them to the flag of the Citadel (which was the general direction they were headed for). There was a cyclo driver/rider behind them. He looked at me and we laughed together, tickled by the fact that 'tourists' were riding the cyclo. This team is quite a distance from the rest. Say, about 1km or so.

It's quite easy to spot the teams. There's always a slow-moving jeep/4WD following and filming behind them.
As I was walking away from their destination, I saw another jeep/4WD. But I didn't see any participants with them.

Shirley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to put a number for reference to the teams she saw--and this is what she replied about each team:

Team 1: "I saw a Caucasian pair, (they are quite big) running towards the imperial palace."

The first pair I saw, I vaguely remember a bald/clean-shaven Caucasian man. I can't remember his companion.

Though I can't remember much of the first team,

Team 2: "two ladies, they are quite big, carrying their backpacks"

The second pair I saw was 2 ladies. One of them has curly short hair

Team 3: "The third team I saw (I think, I can't remember with the time lapse) was cycling/riding a cyclo" "had a slip"

The slip, if I don't remember wrongly is yellow.

the third team or rather the team I saw with the slip and riding the cyclo was made up of two women. I don't remember seeing many Asians that day, possibly the 2nd team of 2 women carrying their backpacks, had an Asian. I remember the lady asking me for water is quite big-sized, I am not quite sure of her companion right now.

Team 4: The ones in the photo that she gave directions to...

And more answers about where the teams were and re Allen Wu and where/what he was doing:

The first three teams I saw was rather close to each other. The first and second teams were on foot already when I saw them, possibly about 200-300m away only. The one that I saw third on the cyclo was further away. Possibly 500m away from the second.

The team that asked me for direction, the lady in the team asked, "do you know where is the imperial palace?" The imperial palace is just across a small road from the citadel where there is a Vietnam flag. So I pointed to the flag and told them to head that way.

Allan Wu was talking to some of his crew while others were setting up the equipment. They had lotsa packed food there. And they travelled in pretty nice vehicles for a country like Vietnam. Can't remember the make of the cars but they looked pretty big.

There was no mat there when I was there. It could be because they were still setting up. But I didn't see anything that looked like it's a mat.
And:
No, I didn't see any pit stop mat, or any mats on the floor for that matter.

I sent her this photo and  a few others but none of mine looked familiar to her  :'(

I am sorry I can't quite recognize any of the people in the picture.

But she did say:
The one in the yellow box could be the 2nd team I saw. I cannot confirm, so sorry about that.

Perhaps JonLover knows which photo this might be?? :duno:

Many thanks to Shirley for her time and generosity in sharing!  :thankyou:

Peach, this is the picture I sent to Shirley. She's referring to the girl in green scarf or bandana.

I also sent her pictures of rumoured racers like Natalie Glebova and Miss India Sindhura Gadde; and the lady in a flickr picture taken in Hong Kong (http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.125.html) but she could not recognize them as well.

Just when you think there are no more spoilers  :sucks
May 25, 2008 (data:DateTime : 2008:05:25 15:53:22 )

The Amazing Race being shot at the imperial city. That chick took herself mad seriously.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:01:58 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #626 on: September 18, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
Thanks to youknowho :<3

more........

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #627 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »

the end

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #628 on: September 18, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »
preview for EP3 when ready

redo, screw youtube  :knuckles:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:52:46 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #629 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »
OH, OUCH!!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bikermama

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #630 on: September 19, 2008, 03:05:14 AM »
Hello, it's my first time in the forum.  I'd been following threads in 3 different fora, and was most impressed with the exchange of info here. Your network is pretty amazing.

At first, I was horrified to see the spill on the road, thinking that it may be Geoff and Tish, whom I met last year. (Ok, so I don't approve of his snarky remarks, but no one wants to see an acquaintance get hurt on world TV.)

But seeing the screen capture, that's definitely Henry and Bernie. I hope they're not too banged up, esp. since he just had reconstructive surgery on his jaw  in 2006.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #631 on: September 19, 2008, 03:08:24 AM »
 :jumpy:  Found it.  They're at Emperor Khai Dinh's tomb in Hue, Vietnam.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:57:43 AM by Boingo »

Offline dapa091

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #632 on: September 19, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
ok this place is the roadblock and to the above post that is the place ^_^ smart one

Geoff,Ida and I think Kapil are doing the roadblock and Geoff seems confused not so good but it helps :D

:sucks :yess: :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #633 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »
Thank you Boingo! :bow: :bow:

And :welcome: again, dapa091! We are glad to have you and nice job!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #634 on: September 19, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »

My turn to calculate the time. It's around 4:50PM.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #635 on: September 19, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
Just my speed too, banzai!!  :funny: :funny: :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #636 on: September 19, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »
Okay...what are they doing?

There are 2 things at the bottom of the white paper and Ida is also holding something.

Phone? GPS?  At first I thought puzzle but now I wonder...are they putting in coordinates?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #637 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:11 AM »
 :yess: Nice work, Boingo  :tup: An older regional map is here (large file-7.5 mb); "lang khai dinh" is about 10k south of the city. This is a map of the central Citadel area (GoogleMaps is good enough for overhead aerial).

Offline dapa091

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #638 on: September 19, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
ok so now we have some info that the roadblock is done by Kapil,Geoff and Ida and is believed to be finding coordinates within the tomb and it seems like Kapil is eavesdropping on Geoff  :angel: lol

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #639 on: September 19, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »

This is within the Citadel (from what I remember of Vietnam at least). Why so tired? More searching the grounds?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #640 on: September 19, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »
Found it.  They're at Emperor Khai Dinh's tomb in Hue, Vietnam.

Nice work Boingo.

If anybody can drum up some nice tourista  long shots of this place I may be able to get time for it.

I found where it is in GE but it happens to be a few hundred feet into the fuzzy lands.  Not enough resolution to get an orientation.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

This is within the Citadel (from what I remember of Vietnam at least). Why so tired? More searching the grounds?

Heat stroke? Dehydration? IIRC, Fuzizie asked Shirley (our blogger) if she had any water...  I'll check that and look for some shots for you this afternon, Chateau!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »

Neobie, looks like the floor tiles match perfectly your ID of the Imperial Palace / Citadel in Hue.   :tup:

edited to add: looks like the stains on the door suggest that this is the exact spot  :angel:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:53:44 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
Here is a bump up of the sequence of events from Shirley, our Hue blogger.
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.msg303564.html#msg303564

She later added some more info re teams here:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.msg328403.html#msg328403

_-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was 25 May. It was about late 2pm to 3pm. I remember I was starving then.

I saw Allan Wu and his crew in the imperial palace. After I left the imperial palace, right outside the gate, I saw a Caucasian pair, (they are quite big) running towards the imperial palace. Included a bald, clean shaven Caucasian, now thought to be Geoff/Tisha

Following behind them were two ladies, they are quite big, carrying their backpacks. I was carrying a bottle of water, and she asked if that was hers. photo ID'd as AD/Fuzzie

The third team I saw (I think, I can't remember with the time lapse) was cycling/riding a cyclo (a traditional mode of transportation in Vietnam). They had to ride the cyclo to the destination I think. I saw them hold a TARA slip, possibly the clue. These teams were quite close to each other. two women, unable to ID them by pics

Then as I was walking across the Perfume River, I saw another team. I was quite tickled so I stopped to take a picture. That's the only picture I took. It was actually the guy cycling/riding the cyclo, but he stopped where I was to change with the girl. That's the team who asked me for direction. I pointed them to the flag of the Citadel (which was the general direction they were headed for). There was a cyclo driver/rider behind them. He looked at me and we laughed together, tickled by the fact that 'tourists' were riding the cyclo. This team is quite a distance from the rest. Say, about 1km or so. Mai/Oliver

It's quite easy to spot the teams. There's always a slow-moving jeep/4WD following and filming behind them.
As I was walking away from their destination, I saw another jeep/4WD. But I didn't see any participants with them.

I've attached the photo I took. Hope it's of some interest.

Shirley
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chateau did some time shots for us as well:

This picture was taken here between 11:54 and 11:59 am (assumes May 25th).

This is an extremely fast-moving shadow situation.  If the shot was taken at 12:04 pm we would see the cyclo's shadow parallel to the curb!

Although it is covered by a cloud, this is a Panoramio shot that has been pinned to this location.  See how the lamp posts are the same.   :tup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only concern here is Shirley's recollection that it was closer to 2-3PM when she saw teams. :duno:

We then show Ida at the Imperial Palace at 1553 by exif data:

Just when you think there are no more spoilers  :sucks
May 25, 2008 (data:DateTime : 2008:05:25 15:53:22 )

The Amazing Race being shot at the imperial city. That chick took herself mad seriously.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:11 PM »
How do teams GET to Hue? They would normally be released from the Pitstop 5/24 early AM 5-ish??
Then can either:
1) have an extended Pitstop and fly to HUE 5/25 AM
2) take a train 5/24  (although times may be difficult)
Train info and schedules Saigon to Hue:

In case you were wondering, 'Ho Chi Minh City' is the name of the whole conurbation - 'Saigon' is still the name of the city itself, and it is 'Saigon' which appears in the railway timetables and on the station name boards...

Train S3 from Hanoi to Saigon passes through the lush green hills between Hue and Danang. This is the most scenic section of line, running along the coast past bays and islands and through the hills. The train travels at low speed up the fierce gradients, with an assisting locomotive at the rear and people sitting on the roof..!

The best and fastest train in Vietnam is train E1 (Southbound) / E2 (Northbound) introduced in 2002. This train uses the most modern rolling stock, with large picture windows unobstructed by the wire mesh that protects most other trains' windows from stones. Choose this train if you can, but it's proving very popular, and it's often difficult to get berths on unless you book well in advance.

The second best train in Vietnam is train S1 (Southbound) / S2 (Northbound), pictured below left. The S1/S2 coaches are all refurbished and painted red whereas most other Vietnamese trains are green. The next best train is the S3 / S4. Each of these trains has a full range of classes of accommodation. Other trains generally use rolling stock that is much older.
http://www.bienngoccruise.com/Train.asp

http://www.vietnamopentour.com.vn/vietnam-tour/mini-breaks/saigon-hanoi-train.html

3) take a bus

Locations in HUE so far:

Imperial Palace (precedes the Citadel)
travel by cyclo to:
Citadel
Emperor Khai Dinh's tomb (thanks Boingo)

Now why is Natalie hanging out of this (Hue city??) bus with what looks like a GPS thing in her upheld arm??  Part of the Roadblock?

And is this a long distance or a local bus with the flat?

Heee...my pure spec!
"What??!! almost 24 hours on a train??!!"  :faint:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:38:14 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #646 on: September 19, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
I think it's a local bus from the citadel to the tomb. It looks very far in Google Earth.

http://wikimapia.org/765466/CỐ-ĐÔ-HUẾ
http://wikimapia.org/8768415/Emperor-KHẢI-ĐỊNH-tomb

edit:
Here's the link to Mai and Oliver's bridge:
http://wikimapia.org/5949733/Phu-Xuan-Bridge
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:06:28 PM by banzai »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #647 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
Thanks banzai! We see two buses, one clearly says city but would like to be sure the other isn't a HCMC>>Hue long distance bus.

I just finished watching the whole thing, and was surprised to find our bridge in Cai Be!  :ascared :funny:

There is going to be a huge spread in departure times this leg.

Some teams arrive at the museum just before dark (5-7PM??) 5/23 and others are still in Cai Be beginning a task as it is already dark, so add , maybe 5 more hours?  So some teams can leave the pitstop at 5-7AM, and others not until maybe after noon? That plays havoc with bus/train schedules...not sure that works? This would also be a good place for an extended 36 hour pitstop as teams look exhausted.

But we need some bunching here somewhere.

Apskip has done some flights for us:
VN250 0700 0820 for early teams or VN252 1130 1250 for later teams
but we may need a later flight or 2 as well. And where is the bunching?

FOR INSTANCE, how is it we see AD/Fuzzie and Mai/Oliver in Hue at almost the same time/place doing the cyclos? They should be hours apart UNLESS there has been some nice transportation or task bunching somewhere, right?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
http://www.huecit.com.vn/khamphahue/ehue/?catid=dlaivcchuyen&scatid=xebuyt&nid=15997

According to that page, there's a bus going from the citadel to Khai Dinh tomb. But it stops in 19 different places. I'll try to find the addresses of those 19 places so we can map the route.

1. Bến xe phía Nam = bus station in Hue city
2. Cầu An Cựu http://wikimapia.org/8061914/An-Cựu-bridge
3. 15B Hà Nội
4. Thương Bạc
5. Đông Ba
6. Cửa Ngăn
7. Bệnh viện TW Huế http://wikimapia.org/437084/Hue-Central-Hospital
8. Quốc Học http://wikimapia.org/5010565/Huế-high-school
9. Ga Huế http://wikimapia.org/554224/vi/Ga-Huế-Railroad-station
10. Chùa Bảo Quốc
11. Chùa Từ Đàm http://wikimapia.org/8357191/̀Từ-Đàm-pagoda
12. Doanh Trại BP
13. Đàn Nam Giao http://wikimapia.org/8537821/Nam-Giao-Esplanade
14. Cầu Lim
15. Ngã Ba Cư Chánh
16. Thiên An http://wikimapia.org/8627047/Thien-An-mountain
17. UB Xã Thủy BẰng
18. Lăng Khải Định http://wikimapia.org/8768415/Emperor-KHẢI-ĐỊNH-mausoleum
19. Chợ Tuần http://wikimapia.org/5949606/Tuần-bridge
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:28:04 PM by banzai »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule: