Author Topic: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)  (Read 666152 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #375 on: May 19, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
Yup sure enough I put this in the wrong thread  :lol:

Heres a follow up from JonLover :<3 @entermyworld.heavenforum from the Dubai blogger:

Saturday, May 10, 2008
Long Weekend

I figuratively had a long weekend. I travelled around the whole of United Arab Emirates in one day. Driving was not that fun but by passing the great views of the dessert, I can say I had a memorable weekend.

We went to Abu Dhabi first to fetch some friends, then we headed to Al Ain. The breathtaking views of the Green Mubazzarah and Jabeel Hafeet mad our trip forgetless. On our way down from the top of Jabeel Hafeet, we saw some cameramen along the road. I was excited to see them anticipating it was the Amazing Race but it was only a shooting of a local show.

Then we had a camp at Fujairah and spent the night there before going back to Dubai by passing Ras Al Khaimah, Umm Al Qiunn and Sharjah first.

I recieved a letter from a someone who read my blog about the sighting of the Amazing Race at the Dubai International Airport. I did not know that people around the world will be talking about that entry as described by the letter sender. Hi, JonLover of entermyworld.heavenforum.

Well, to answer the questions raised by JonLover, I am not also in the position to confirm whether the sighting was really the Amazing Race productions or racers. It was only told to me by a friend who is also reliable. And to make matters clear, we were not that really drank when we were talking about it. We were in our right senses. I asked my friend again if it was true and he guaranteed me that it was also told by his friend who really witnessed the commotion.

My friend's friend is woring for Terminal 2 but that time he saw the the racers apparently was in Terminal 1. He just saw from about 200 meters away people who are running towards the customs. Some of them are holding boom mikes and cameras. Most of them are carrying heavy back packs.

He just asked some airport staffs at the Dubai Duty Free what was the commotion is all about. From them, he got the information that it was a shooting of a travel and documentary show by a network based in the US. But they were thinking it was a filming of the Amazing Race because they seemed to be outrunning each other.

I hope this will answer all your queries and I will send this also to your e-mail.

Offline selwyn

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #376 on: May 19, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
I've spoken to people within the industry who had direct involvement with The Amazing Race in New Zealand.

They definitely did a leg here, roughly the dates I mention earlier (Apr 30 - May 2) but I think it may have run a day late. I am not totally sure where they traveled, but it was out of Auckland south into the North Island (this would fit with Tauranga or Rotorua, or both). And I have no idea where they pit-stopped.

There were as many a 10 local crews on the job, plus the standard travelling crews. This was definitely the CBS Amazing Race, not a localised variant (the Asian version has been here twice in the past).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #377 on: May 19, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
Needless to say, you made our day selwyn  :wohoo:

Thank you so much !!!!!!! :jam:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #378 on: May 19, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
Thank you SO much for sharing this, selwyn!

This is truly fabulous news, because I was heartbroken to think we were coming so close and yet might miss out on a NZ leg.

But now I am really really looking forward to this leg! :hearts:

Back to my GlowWorm Cave!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline password

• Village Idiot
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #379 on: May 19, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
I heard through the new news from Sri lanka that the second leg started there.
I now believe it is a locaized version of the show that is in Sri Lanka because, it seems rare for CBS to do two legs there with all   that violence.

I am also hearing rumors that atleast two european countries (no names) were visited. Is that true?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #380 on: May 19, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
About the New Zealand leg:

The flight that we know they take from Santiago at 10:45 pm April 30th would put teams into Auckland at 3:55 am on May 2nd.

Apskip needs to interrogate his friend to find out if the evening departure out Auckland was really on May 2nd.  There is plenty of time to still get to Cambodia by late morning of May 4th.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #381 on: May 19, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »

The flight that we know they take from Santiago at 10:45 pm April 30th would put teams into Auckland at 3:55 am on May 2nd.

Apskip needs to interrogate his friend to find out if the evening departure out Auckland was really on May 2nd.  There is plenty of time to still get to Cambodia by late morning of May 4th.

Or maybe what apskip's brother-in-law saw was production leaving a day ahead to get a jump on the teams. We know this does happen from previous races.

Is there a way teams can actually arrive in Cambodia on 5/4 and still make it to our sites in time? If so, we would have plenty of time with all day the 2nd and the 3rd in NZ and then 5/4 as part travel day. Otherwise they are down to 24-36 hours max in NZ which seems tight.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #382 on: May 19, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Yes, they can arrive on May 4th.  Here is how: 

Fly Thai Airways International  990 leaving Auckland  on May 3rd at 1:15 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 9:00 pm
Fly  Bangkok Airway 903 leaving Bangkok on May 4th at 8:00 am and arriving in Siam Reap at 9:00 am

OR , for an even later departure (ie it gives more time for the Auckland leg):

Fly Emirates 433 leaving Auckland on May 3rd at 4:55 pm and arriving in Brisbane at 6:35 pm
Fly  Thai Airways International  992 leaving Brisbane on May 3rd at 11:59 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 5:59 am
Fly  Bangkok Airway 903 leaving Bangkok on May 4th at 8:00 am and arriving in Siam Reap at 9:00 am

These flights give them time to land and get to the Wat by 11:30 am (first known sighting).
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline selwyn

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #383 on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
My informants also tell me that at least one team was quite a way behind at the end of the NZ leg. So it's possible that not all teams land in Cambodia the same time.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #384 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
*I just checked with Ray and he said the Amazing Race team did arrive in Auckland, went into the city for the day and came back to the airport late that evening and departed.  He told me he saw Phil Keogan the kiwi who fronts the show waiting for the competitors.
*This fits perfectly with my theory that teams would do a REST DAY or in this case from 0355 until late evening

I think what happened here is that the Teams finished checking-in around sundown on may 2nd and so Phil with some production went to the Auckland airport to make the 10:45 flight to Singapore (then Bangkok then Siem Reap).  Then the racers begin the next leg in the morning of May 3rd.  They can drive back to Auckland and catch the afternoon flight combinations to Siem Reap.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #385 on: May 19, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
oooh I like that! It works, doesn't it!  :yess:

Thanks, Chateau!  :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
Thank Brooke.  She makes the music.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »

CHATEAU, the information from my brother-in-law is extremely specific. He does after all work at Auckland International Airport and knows the difference between May 2 and any other day. He doesn't know what the teams look like but he knows what happened. I do know if he observed all of it himself because he only works one shift, but the peple in the know at Auckland International Airport undoubtedly shared information about such an important visit to New Zealand.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:09:15 AM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
I do know if he observed

Are you missing a 'not' ?

nikita

« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2008, 04:34:14 AM »

Fly Thai Airways International  990 leaving Auckland  on May 3rd at 1:15 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 9:00 pm

Fly Emirates 433 leaving Auckland on May 3rd at 4:55 pm and arriving in Brisbane at 6:35 pm
Fly  Thai Airways International  992 leaving Brisbane on May 3rd at 11:59 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 5:59 am

These flights give them time to land and get to the Wat by 11:30 am (first known sighting).

I was on PG903 flight on May 4 and it was 10 minutes late. I did not notice any teams. I did see a camera man loitering at Passport Control in Siem Reap Airport... 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:49:20 AM by nikita »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #390 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
Thanks so much nikita! Every bit of info helps!

But now that we know TAR was in Auckland, we need to take another look at this post about Tauranga from mez:

Hi, this is completely unconfirmed and comes to me third hand but my mother was listening to a talk show on the radio yesterday here in NZ and there was a woman from Tauranga on who said that a reality show had been through there-well, the Tauranga-Mount Maunganui area (in the North Island, not far from Auckland). I asked my mother if the woman had said when and she said no but she got the impression listening that it was in the last month.

I know this is very unreliable so please treat it with a grain of salt!!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15356.msg300434.html#msg300434

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #391 on: May 20, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »

There are many other possibilities than these that should be considered:

1. If WRP wanted to find a different route on Friday night, May 2 to separate Phil from the teams and parellel the nonstop flight from AKL to SIN and then connecting to get to BKK by mid-morning, in addition to SQ282/SQ970 2355 0645 AKL SIN there is
AKL HKG NZ39 2330 0645 connecting in Hong Kong with HKG BKK CX713 0855 1035.
May 4 BKK REP  PG903 0800 0900 is the connection to Siem Reap for incoming SQ970. Unless CX713 arrives early, connection to   PG905 1100 1220 will not be possible and those teams would have to take   PG913 0310 0430

2. Why would teams wait until mid-afternoon to start flying north? I can't think of a good reason since they have this combination(note that we are now Saturday May 3 so this causes negatives for normal flight schedules):
AKL SYD LAN801 0525 0705  or  QF40 0550 0730  or  NZ101 0700 0830  
QF81 SYD ADL 0930 1115 continuing on the same flight
QF81 ADL SIN 1220 1830
TG410 SIN BKK 2040 2200
May 4   PG903 BKK REP 0800 0900

3. The early afternoon option of nonstop AKL BKK TG419 is a good one if teams waited that long. Almost equally good is
AKL SYD QF790 1325 1450
SYD BKK QF301 1635 2255
May 4  PG903 BKK REP 0800 0900

Those are the logical possibilities. The reports of a team trailing behind out of New Zealand could mean that some teams went Friday night and at least one on Saturday morning.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #392 on: May 20, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
Why would teams wait until mid-afternoon to start flying north? I can't think of a good reason since they have this combination

Apskip, I think you have lost the thread.  Peach asked this:

Is there a way teams can actually arrive in Cambodia on 5/4 and still make it to our sites in time? If so, we would have plenty of time with all day the 2nd and the 3rd in NZ and then 5/4 as part travel day. Otherwise they are down to 24-36 hours max in NZ which seems tight.

She is asking for flights so that teams would have plenty of time with all day the 2nd and the 3rd in NZ.  You don't have to think of a good reason why  teams would wait until mid-afternoon to start flying north.  Good reason is already given:  "for an even later departure (ie it gives more time for the Auckland leg)"

The objective is to maximize the time for the leg so that we can begin fitting in likely tasks and locations in New Zealand.

The flights I posted achieve that while the ones you show would have teams spending the time in transit.  This imposes an artificial constraint on the amount of time we have to work with.  The consequence of having an incorrectly applied constraint is that it causes valid options of tasks and locations to be dismissed.  I hope you can see the importance of this.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
CHATEAU, you answer the questions you want to and leave it to me to select those I want to answer. If you can't undersstand the relevance of what I do, then tough luck.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:25:00 PM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #394 on: May 20, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
Well, you asked the question   :waves:

Why would teams wait until mid-afternoon to start flying north?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »

I was on PG903 flight on May 4 and it was 10 minutes late. I did not notice any teams. I did see a camera man loitering at Passport Control in Siem Reap Airport... 

Let's work backwards here. In order to be seen at Angkor Wat late morning of Sunday May 4, then PG905 BKK REP 1100 1220 arrives too late. And Nikita assures us that no teams were on PG903 BKK REP 0800 0900. The only other possibilities to arrive that morning is SQ5026 SIN REP 1025 1135 (clearly too late). Arrivals on QV512 from Vientiane at 0925, VN809 from HoChiMinh City at 0945, and MU745 from NNG (Nanning China) at 1030 all have no possibility of morning connections in from Singapore through those places and the same would be true from BKK in addition to the fact that it makes no sense to travel other than the short direct route BKK REP.

Add all of that up and my conlcusion is that the teams that were sighted by the photographer had to be in Siem Rep the evening of May 3. There is no way to get there in time on May 4 if we believe Nikita's eyewitness report (which I obviously do but others apparently do not). In combination with previous information, this means that nobody leaving Auckland after midnight turning from May 2 to May 3 would get to Siem Reap in time.

Back that up to Auckland and here's what you get:
May 2 AKL SIN SQ282 2355 0645+1/May 3 SIN BKK SQ970 0845 1010, then any of these flight on BangkokAirways BKK REP:
   PG905 1100 1220  or  PG913 1510 1430  PG907 1740 1900  or  PG909 1820 1940  
or
May 2 AKL HKG NZ39 2330 0645+1/May 3 HKG BKK CX713 0855 1035, then the same flights shown above except not PG905.

That's it. End of story. Teams have to depart Auckland on Friday night May 2 if they are to be at Ankgor Wat in the late morning of Sunday May 4. The only possible alternative, going by road overnight the roughly 300 miles east from Bangkok to Siem Reap, is not something that previous Amazing Races have allowed.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
That's it. End of story. Teams have to depart Auckland on Friday night May 2

according to you anyways

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #397 on: May 20, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »
Michael, can I ask what sources in New Zealand are you providing to RFF? I thought so, so you had best read and learn.

NEW INFORMATION FROM MY BROTHER-IN-LAW CONCERNING MAY 2

"I definitely know Phil Keoghan was at the airport with a senior management staff member and possibly an assistant of Phil's in attendance, plus two officers from our division. They had a photo op which appeared in our in-house staff mag a couple of days ago.
I did not see, but was assured by others on the relieved shift, that the AR teams were in the city and due to fly out that night. As I was not further involved with that side of things - My duties that night involved communications and boarding announcing, I did not see, nor did I hear anything further. As I had no reason to disbelieve my colleagues, I assumed the info was valid. However, there is the possibility assumptions where made..... so now I will have to investigate further."

So further insights may be anticipated, but it may be a few days. One thing is pretty clear, as in his previous report. That is the departure of the AR13 teams from Auckland on the evening of May 2.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 20, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Michael, can I ask what sources in New Zealand are you providing to RFF? I thought so, so you had best read and learn.

uhh don't tell me what to do :)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »

Apskip:  In combination with previous information, this means that nobody leaving Auckland after midnight turning from May 2 to May 3 would get to Siem Reap in time.

Well, noooo !   :funny:

This flight is just as good as the last one I found that gave a day and half for activities on Auckland: 

Continue with Emirates 433 leaving Brisbane on May 3rd at 8:05 pm and arriving in Singapore at 1:50 am
Fly Jetstar Asia 595 leaving Singapore on May 4th at 6:00 am and arriving in Siem Reap at 7:05 am.

And regarding nikita's piece of information, it's not that I don't believe it.  It's a logical thing:  Absence of seeing something does not prove its non-existence.