Author Topic: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)  (Read 664868 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!*
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2008, 10:21:27 PM »
Monday, May 5, 2008
My flight out of Santiago-

Sometimes people make foolish mistakes that have small consequences and other mistakes can be quite costly, I made one of the costly ones last week. I booked a ticket from Santiago to Oklahoma, the ticket was $450, all the other flights were around a thousand dollars, so of course I booked the cheaper flight, when I showed up to the airport in Santiago I went to check in and the flight was not on the board, and the counter did not upon for 8 hours, so I asked a service personal and she said that she had never heard of the flight number. So I went to the airlines office and then I found out that I had booked a flight from Santiago Dominican Republic and not Santiago Chile, the lady at the desk asked me how I was planning in getting to the Dominican Republic to take this flight, and at this moment I felt like the biggest idiot in the world, some world traveller I have become. So I was blessed when the ticket sales office opened there was a very wonderful employee who worked for almost 30 minutes checking on different flights for me, actually the ticket cost was at that time $2700 to fly to Oklahoma, but my newest friend behind the counter, helped me find a flight and also came up with a special fare I think just for me, and so for $1000 I had a ticket back to Oklahoma. But he told me that I lost the $450 on my other ticket, but he kindly told me that I could most likely get a travel voucher to fly one way from the Dominican Republic to any destination. this was not very reassuring because it was one way, and that would mean that I would have to get to Dominican Republic to even use the ticket. But my mother when given this information called the US office and after another half an hour on the phone they returned this $450, TRULY AMAZING! And as a special bonus the several teams from the Amazing Race through the airport while I was there.

Posted by Justin Vorel at

eta...and I am afraid that I will have little time to write all these stories out. I have a ticket back to the States on April 30th. I will be flying out of Santiago, Chile.

peach will fill you all in later with more details but, with info that she has gathered from Justin, we can safely say that Justin/Blogger was indeed in the Santiago Airport on April 30th and it was the evening when he saw the teams come through. I guess we can rule out the Melbourne sighting on April 30th as rumor or hearsay now.

I do not agree because this does not compute. If teams left Santiago on April 30, they cannot arrive in Auckland until May 2. They have to be in Siem Reap that evening in order to be at Angkor Wat the following morning. There is no possibility of any leg in New Zealand or Australia. In order to have a leg in New Zealand or Australia there must be at least one day in either country. Teams have to leave Santiago no later than April 29 and I have not altered my view that they really did leave on April 28.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »

I do not agree because this does not compute. If teams left Santiago on April 30, they cannot arrive in Auckland until May 2. They have to be in Siem Reap that evening in order to be at Angkor Wat the following morning. There is no possibility of any leg in New Zealand or Australia. In order to have a leg in New Zealand or Australia there must be at least one day in either country. Teams have to leave Santiago no later than April 29 and I have not altered my view that they really did leave on April 28.

Teams did leave the 30th..

Why must the teams go to Australia or New Zealand? Whats not to believe apskips? Shall we ask to see the bloggers ticket? Sorry we can't twist the schedule to make it make sense to you, it is what it is, in black and white :spy:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Amen that.  Yeah Peach!

Any shadows yet?   :waves:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2008, 11:56:51 PM »
I know this comes late guys but I was at school, I have recieved info about TAR in my home town of 15 years TAURANGA, however I believe it is only from Our Local Amazing Race as they were there last month and were at Mount Maunganui so I dont think is right, but you never know
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »
Flickr!! credits to flickrs, James Khoo's

' Amazing Race Show ' route markers on 6 boats . Only 6 teams left competing in Siem Reap

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:26:29 PM by puddin »

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:25 AM »
More from Jason (he's loving his new celebrity status) :lol:

Just a quick note that I seem to have stumbled upon an Amazing Race internet fan club with my recent post and for the next 72 hours (or until someone else posts pics or gives updates on their whereabouts), I declare myself an internet celebrity. In the meantime, my pics and inside info are seemingly all the rage right now. I'm bigger than Gawker. It's pretty funny though. Actually the funny thing is that even though I'm a tv junkie (for example, I haven't missed an episode of Lost or Jericho or Friday Night Lights since I've been out here, and even, shamefully, I can't believe I'm admitting this, am now caught up on Gossip Girl. I only watch it to see where they film in Manhattan. Anyone buy that?), I've never watched a single episode of Amazing Race before. So yeah, I guess I'll be adding this upcoming season to my list.

And in case you're wondering I have no idea who posted that comment. I tend to forget that this blog is open to the public and not just my mother and 4 friends. I'm actually curious how my writing will translate to people who don't know me especially since sarcastic self-depracation is tough to pull off in writing. On a similar note, I kind of feel a little bad about reporting my conversation with the racers because they look like idiots but I've decided not to say which ones they were and anyway, that's pretty much what happened so I'll leave it up. They also went the wrong way when in the airport. I mentioned but didn't explain that earlier but they actually passed through customs when everyone else went directly to the international terminal. I felt terrible for them because the cameras were on them the whole time as they stood in baggage claim trying to figure out what to do to get to the international departures and the cameraman and sound guy just stand there staring at them without saying a word obviously. It's very surreal.

Anyway I've decided that in light of this recent turn of events I will add a "hit counter" to indulge my vanity-side and see how may people this attracts and for the next 72 hours I will use my new found fame to raise awareness for many noble causes. After I go back to sleep.

Oh, here are the rest of this pics in case Amazing Race fans are interested (See, I'm expanding my audience).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2008, 12:41:15 AM »
Thanks Puddin and Peach (and thanks to Jason and the rest of our "irregulars"  :js:). Here's a map for Peach. They most likely got their boats at Chong Khneas. It's a working fishing village, not too pretty; the TAR boats look like the best of the lot.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
The report from the Tonle Sap boats mentioned a six-hour journey from Battambang, which departs at 7am. Add six hours, and we can estimate the sighting to be at roughly 1pm?

The pier on the Tonle Sap is a 45-min tuk-tuk ride from Siem Reap city centre (based purely on personal experience), and more than an hour from the airport. It's gonna be at least an am arrival in Siem Reap.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:14:26 AM by Neobie »

nikita

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2008, 04:48:06 AM »
Oh man! I am going to die! I just got back from Siem Reap last night.  :pull
I AM BUMMED.  :'( :'( :'(  Our guide did tell us there was a film crew in the Tonle Sap but didn't give any more info.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:25:07 AM by nikita »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »

Teams did leave the 30th..

Why must the teams go to Australia or New Zealand? Whats not to believe apskips? Shall we ask to see the bloggers ticket? Sorry we can't twist the schedule to make it make sense to you, it is what it is, in black and white :spy:

The departure date for the blogger is not necessarily identical to the departure date fo the Amazing Race teams. Is there other evidence to support the April 30 departure date? Flights from somewhere in South America to Santiago to Auckland to Bangkok to Siem Reap on planes for about 2 full days are possible, but that's a bit much continous travel even for Amazing Racers.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Apskip--the blogger Justin SAW the teams at the airport leaving Santiago on 4/30.  I am willing to vouch that he is sincere and very honest about what he saw.  I believe that what he saw were our teams. 

So if we believe that date, I think now we have to very sadly perhaps give up Australia/NZ as task locations instead if time does not permit.

The Melbourne sighting was NOT reliable.

Kiwi has said that the NZ radio report most likely refers to a local TAR race which was there.

So if the data doesn't fit, and I absolutely believe you about time and dates, we have to look instead at other possibilities, IMO, and maybe let go of trying to squeeze in Australia/NZ instead. Perhaps they went another route entirely?

How else could they get from Santiago to Cambodia? Must they change in Australia at all? What other routes are possible? 

Flights from somewhere in South America to Santiago to Auckland to Bangkok to Siem Reap on planes for about 2 full days are possible, but that's a bit much continous travel even for Amazing Racers.

I agree with this--so what happens if we take Auckland and Bangkok out of the mix? How ELSE can we get them there?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »
okay--I just saw this excellent post by Neobie!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15365.msg300510.html#msg300510

So maybe we CAN squeeze in one leg in NZ?? ??? I would LOVE that!

Remember that Justin thought that the teams left Santiago not all together though...and perhaps by 7-ish...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »
Peach, I don't care what Justin thought. The only trans-Pacific nonstop flights that I know of are LAN801 departing at 2245 from Santiago and AR1182 departing at 2359 from Buenos Aires. I guess it's possible that teams went from SCL to EZE, but then they left even later to AKL, which defeats your purpose.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
Not only did Justin see teams he said they were exhausted and dirty, isn't that right peach? It might indicate something happened prior to Santiago or near?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »
Peach, I don't care what Justin thought. The only trans-Pacific nonstop flights that I know of are LAN801 departing at 2245 from Santiago and AR1182 departing at 2359 from Buenos Aires. I guess it's possible that teams went from SCL to EZE, but then they left even later to AKL, which defeats your purpose.

he saw the teams, its not "what he thought"

Kogs, read it again. The point of my note is an argument against "7ish".

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
Re the boats, this was posted as a comment to Jason:

Donut Diary said...

Yes ! they are definitely contestants from the Amazing Race Show. We were at Tonle Sap Lake and saw route markers (Flags in red and yellow) on 6 boats at the pier. There were camera crew but we did not see the contestants. Very exciting !
    May 6, 2008 12:55 AM

http://jumpingthetracks.blogspot.com/2008/05/amazing-race.html
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
amazing race, angkor wat    :lol:

boberino22

Posted on: 6:01 am, yesterday  Save
Did anyone else see them filming for the amazing race at angkor wat on the 4th? I'm not sure what version it is but I saw the little stand where they put the next clue on the west side of the temple. (opposite the main entrance?) I opened it up, thinking it was some brochure and I saw it said "Amazing Race" before one of the production guys yelled at me.
 Anyone know which version of the amazing race it is??

Offline randomnzer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »
Phil has a holiday home in Coromandel, which is very near the Tauranga/Bay of Plenty region.

They may have gone to the Waihi Goldmine, which is a popular tourist attraction in that area.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
The blogger says he was in Santiago 4/30, I believe he was in Santiago 4/30. :pull

Melbourne is serious spec and is no way even remotely confirmed.

And when I checked IDL I found

International Date Line:

Cross the line from the east to the west and a day is added. Cross from west to the east and a day is subtracted.

So unless I am going more ditzy than usual then that timeline unfortunately makes no sense at all to me....

I apparently have written using words that confuse. To me "losing a day" going east to west means that you literally advance the calendar one day because that day is gone forever(or at least untiol you cross the Date Line west to east). That is the equivalent of "adding a day" in other people's syntax.
Of course, you and I can go back into our time zone debate we had in the Amazing Race Asia thread, but I get what you're saying about losing a day. Actually, "losing a day" in the vernacular usually talks about crossing the Date Line from the US to Asia.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
And i recognize red bandana man from the extra video's from last seasons.
He was racing with Phil on the stones in Taipei.
Just here to visit.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »
And i recognize red bandana man from the extra video's from last seasons.
He was racing with Phil on the stones in Taipei.

yep and at Shannon airport

i think he cheated on the stones didn't he

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »

he saw the teams, its not "what he thought"

Kogs, read it again. The point of my note is an argument against "7ish".

apskip i read it, and i believe him over you. im sorry you cant accept that your theory is wrong

Kogs, quote the flight information for a "7ish" departure if you want to support your case with evidence rather than just rhetoric.What are the flights at that time?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Back on topic please, we have a speculation thread!!

nikita

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2008, 12:09:39 AM »
Apskip--the blogger Justin SAW the teams at the airport leaving Santiago on 4/30.  I am willing to vouch that he is sincere and very honest about what he saw.  I believe that what he saw were our teams. 

So if we believe that date, I think now we have to very sadly perhaps give up Australia/NZ as task locations instead if time does not permit.

The Melbourne sighting was NOT reliable.

Kiwi has said that the NZ radio report most likely refers to a local TAR race which was there.

So if the data doesn't fit, and I absolutely believe you about time and dates, we have to look instead at other possibilities, IMO, and maybe let go of trying to squeeze in Australia/NZ instead. Perhaps they went another route entirely?

How else could they get from Santiago to Cambodia? Must they change in Australia at all? What other routes are possible? 

Flights from somewhere in South America to Santiago to Auckland to Bangkok to Siem Reap on planes for about 2 full days are possible, but that's a bit much continous travel even for Amazing Racers.

I agree with this--so what happens if we take Auckland and Bangkok out of the mix? How ELSE can we get them there?

There are other routes to Siem Reap other than Bangkok. Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh, and Kuala Lumpur have direct or connecting flights to Siem Reap. My brother and I went  there back in 2003 via Ho Chi Minh.