Author Topic: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)  (Read 664917 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!*
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
Supposed flags were seen in Melbourne @1:20pm local time on the 30th though, how long does it take to fly from Santiago to Melbourne ? (charts below)

Sao Paulo to Salvador da Bahia (4/24 to 4/25) << where did we lose the racers for 5 days?

Salvador da Bahia to Santiago, Chile (4/30)

(charts)
Santiago, Chile
Current Time Monday, May 5, 2008 at 11:04:41 PM

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Current Time Tuesday, May 6, 2008 at 1:04:11 PM EST

Something doesn't jive :duno:  When it is April 30 in Santiago Chile it is already May 1 in Melbourne, Australia.  So is our sighting in both cities correct or is the sighting in Melbourne on April 30 speculation?
Or were the flags put up early or for a test before the racers arrived on May 1.  Was that the actual date of the sighting in Santiago, or when the blogger posted.

GMAN, you have to use the conventional time systems to get this right. The flights that AR13 teams took left Santiago at 2245 on April 28. they cross the International Date Line in flight and since it was more than 1 hour into the flight it is April 30. The individual time zones are flowing with the plane, so a 13 hour 10 minute flight consumes 8 hours of time difference and arrives at 355am in Auckland(which is hours ahead of Melbourne). Then there is a transfer to QF26 departing Auckland 0615, a 4 hour flight losing another 2 hours of time difference from crossing time zones, and arriving Melbourne at 0815. The alternate flight, which it is highly likely was actually used for debunching some of the teams, was NZ7 0740 0930. Note that this has teams arriving correctly on April 30.

So, if you are right about the flights then the crews were leaving Santiago, Chile on April 28, not April 30.  So the blogger actually was at the airport two days before his flight which left for Oklahoma on April 30.  Now we have accounted for most of the missing time in Brazil.  

April 22      Leave Los Angeles                               11 Teams Leave
April 23      Sao Paulo, Brazil                                   10 Teams Leave
April 24      Salvador da Bahia, Brazil                       9 Teams Leave 
April 25
April 26       Somewhere                                           8 Teams Leave (????) 
April 27
April 28      Somewhere                                            7 Teams Leave
April 29    
April 30      Santiago, Chile                                       7 Teams Leave
May 1       Lost on the IDL                               
May 2         New Zealand                                          6 Teams Leave
May 3        Siem Reap, Cambodia                         
May 4                                                     (Could it be our first Non-elimination????)
May 5
May 6        Siem Reap, Cambodia                             6 Teams Leave
May 7        New Delhi, India (via Bangkok, Thailand)
So at the moment the teams are hunting for some obscure object in the Capital of India
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:44:10 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »
 :'(  TAR CURSE CONTINUES!!!
Disaster strikes local residents after TAR racers pass through their country.   (:;)    :angel:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKN0646185520080506

Spooky, ain't it   :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
The blogger says he was in Santiago 4/30, I believe he was in Santiago 4/30. :pull

Melbourne is serious spec and is no way even remotely confirmed.

And when I checked IDL I found

International Date Line:

Cross the line from the east to the west and a day is added. Cross from west to the east and a day is subtracted.

So unless I am going more ditzy than usual then that timeline unfortunately makes no sense at all to me....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
:'(  TAR CURSE CONTINUES!!!
Disaster strikes local residents after TAR racers pass through their country.   (:;)    :angel:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKN0646185520080506

Spooky, ain't it   :groan:
peach and I were thinking the same thing Boingo  :ascared

The blogger says he was in Santiago 4/30, I believe he was in Santiago 4/30. :pull

International Date Line:

Cross the line from the east to the west and a day is added. Cross from west to the east and a day is subtracted.

So unless I am going more ditzy than usual then that timeline unfortunately makes no sense at all to me....
I agree peachs! All you have to do is read his blogs, lots of evidence there as a matter of fact on April 28th all he blogged were photos, nothing else.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
All of our valued bloggers are being/or have already been contacted personally, so let's hope we get some more definitive info soon! Waiting (im) patiently... :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
Peach if we could find out where or what they were looking for in Dehli i can start using the family connection over there  :js:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
Great! working on it! ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mez

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
Hi, this is completely unconfirmed and comes to me third hand but my mother was listening to a talk show on the radio yesterday here in NZ and there was a woman from Tauranga on who said that a reality show had been through there-well, the Tauranga-Mount Maunganui area (in the North Island, not far from Auckland). I asked my mother if the woman had said when and she said no but she got the impression listening that it was in the last month.

I know this is very unreliable so please treat it with a grain of salt!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
Hi, this is completely unconfirmed and comes to me third hand but my mother was listening to a talk show on the radio yesterday here in NZ and there was a woman from Tauranga on who said that a reality show had been through there-well, the Tauranga-Mount Maunganui area (in the North Island, not far from Auckland). I asked my mother if the woman had said when and she said no but she got the impression listening that it was in the last month.

For some reason I believe it mez. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

For some reason I believe it mez. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

me2 puddin, i have some1 looking into it.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »
 :welcome: Yeah, I can see Phil heading home to NZ. I can't recall them going there before, so it's one of our new locations!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
 Pretty darn remote from what I can tell :yess:

Offline mez

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
I've never been there but it's not remote at all. It's a popular holiday destination and usually has very good weather. We've had a long summer this year (until last week) and I think the temperature up there's still in the low 20s (celsius). It's known for surfing and water activities and apparently you can run up the Mount, though a bit steep.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »
 :lol: Well its remote to me mez, I never heard of it and had to google it  :-[ , its gorgeous!!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »
I've never been there but it's not remote at all. It's a popular holiday destination and usually has very good weather. We've had a long summer this year (until last week) and I think the temperature up there's still in the low 20s (celsius). It's known for surfing and water activities and apparently you can run up the Mount, though a bit steep.

i remeber there being a travel channel show phil hosted where he was in that area. it really wouldnt suprise me if they went there

Offline mez

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »
Fair enough puddin, I can't say places in other countries mean much to me either unless I've been there!
The only concern I have about this is that it was school holidays here 19-27 April so it would have been very busy there.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »

International Date Line:

I apparently have written using words that confuse. To me "losing a day" going east to west means that you literally advance the calendar one day because that day is gone forever(or at least untiol you cross the Date Line west to east). That is the equivalent of "adding a day" in other people's syntax.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
Monday, May 5, 2008
My flight out of Santiago-

Sometimes people make foolish mistakes that have small consequences and other mistakes can be quite costly, I made one of the costly ones last week. I booked a ticket from Santiago to Oklahoma, the ticket was $450, all the other flights were around a thousand dollars, so of course I booked the cheaper flight, when I showed up to the airport in Santiago I went to check in and the flight was not on the board, and the counter did not upon for 8 hours, so I asked a service personal and she said that she had never heard of the flight number. So I went to the airlines office and then I found out that I had booked a flight from Santiago Dominican Republic and not Santiago Chile, the lady at the desk asked me how I was planning in getting to the Dominican Republic to take this flight, and at this moment I felt like the biggest idiot in the world, some world traveller I have become. So I was blessed when the ticket sales office opened there was a very wonderful employee who worked for almost 30 minutes checking on different flights for me, actually the ticket cost was at that time $2700 to fly to Oklahoma, but my newest friend behind the counter, helped me find a flight and also came up with a special fare I think just for me, and so for $1000 I had a ticket back to Oklahoma. But he told me that I lost the $450 on my other ticket, but he kindly told me that I could most likely get a travel voucher to fly one way from the Dominican Republic to any destination. this was not very reassuring because it was one way, and that would mean that I would have to get to Dominican Republic to even use the ticket. But my mother when given this information called the US office and after another half an hour on the phone they returned this $450, TRULY AMAZING! And as a special bonus the several teams from the Amazing Race through the airport while I was there.

Posted by Justin Vorel at

eta...and I am afraid that I will have little time to write all these stories out. I have a ticket back to the States on April 30th. I will be flying out of Santiago, Chile.

peach will fill you all in later with more details but, with info that she has gathered from Justin, we can safely say that Justin/Blogger was indeed in the Santiago Airport on April 30th and it was the evening when he saw the teams come through. I guess we can rule out the Melbourne sighting on April 30th as rumor or hearsay now.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »
Heres the blog that goes with Phils picture, I can't find the correct translation  :funny: HELP!!

Per finish up the dia hem take the relay than sun at the mettle principal d’Angkor Wat i quina he happens statue the nostra surprise than ens hem trobat at the frontman of the nostre program preferable of the tele ( Amazon Race ). Resulta than leak-proof preparing the pròxima season of the program than tractor envelope a gimcana pel voltage of the món i the guanyador se’n du a reward d’un militia than dolars! He happens statue molt curia the trobada i hem pogut parlar a mica amb the frontman i l’equip of the program ( the she checks people molt ravishing i simpàtica ). A dia amb a final unexpected!!!!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2008, 07:32:37 PM »
Sometimes, you can run some text through a stochastic (I had to look that up  :-[) language guesser from Xerox. In this case, it turned out to be Catalan. According to this page:
To finish the day we have seen the sunset in the main temple of Angkor Wat and which it has been our surprise that we have found ourselves to the presenter of our favorite program of the TV (Amazing Race). It results that they are preparing the next season of the program from deal about a gymkhana of the world and the winner being carried by that going round a prize of a million dolars! Has been very curious the encounter and we have been able to speak a little with the presenter and the equipment of the program (the very charming and nice people truth). A day with an unexpected end!!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2008, 07:47:05 PM »
You know all the tricks Slowhatch  :yess: :ty

peach can't get to her PC right now and we were talking about the picture and is the properties are right, why is Phil there so late? Have the teams come and gone? What is this place exactly? Just something to look for in free time :angel: .

Date and Time (Original): 2008:05:04 18:27:04

Astronomy for May 4, 2008:
  Rise: Set:
Actual Time: 5:42 AM ICT 6:20 PM ICT

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »

This from inside Angkor Wat. Or did we already know that? (The colour of the awnings are different, but you know what I mean...)

Phil might be using the 12-hour Pit Stop period to film the "stand-ups" for the Angkor Wat Roadblock...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 08:24:40 PM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2008, 08:04:29 PM »

This from inside Angkor Wat. Or did we already know that?
No, I didn't know and thats what I was just looking for Neobie  :-[ :neener: ...you rock!  :jam:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »

International Date Line:

I apparently have written using words that confuse. To me "losing a day" going east to west means that you literally advance the calendar one day because that day is gone forever(or at least untiol you cross the Date Line west to east). That is the equivalent of "adding a day" in other people's syntax.

We're all on the same page, apskip, just a matter of semantics.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »
:welcome: Yeah, I can see Phil heading home to NZ. I can't recall them going there before, so it's one of our new locations!

Not new; teams went to NZ in TAR5.