Author Topic: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)  (Read 664869 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!*
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
No worries--maybe I should have put it there. :lol:

More from magret:

It was on May 3rd. She did not see any other teams. I will see if I can find out about the time and pictures.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
Perhaps the black couple were far ahead, or far behind.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
Monday, May 5, 2008
My flight out of Santiago-

Sometimes people make foolish mistakes that have small consequences and other mistakes can be quite costly, I made one of the costly ones last week. I booked a ticket from Santiago to Oklahoma, the ticket was $450, all the other flights were around a thousand dollars, so of course I booked the cheaper flight, when I showed up to the airport in Santiago I went to check in and the flight was not on the board, and the counter did not upon for 8 hours, so I asked a service personal and she said that she had never heard of the flight number. So I went to the airlines office and then I found out that I had booked a flight from Santiago Dominican Republic and not Santiago Chile, the lady at the desk asked me how I was planning in getting to the Dominican Republic to take this flight, and at this moment I felt like the biggest idiot in the world, some world traveller I have become. So I was blessed when the ticket sales office opened there was a very wonderful employee who worked for almost 30 minutes checking on different flights for me, actually the ticket cost was at that time $2700 to fly to Oklahoma, but my newest friend behind the counter, helped me find a flight and also came up with a special fare I think just for me, and so for $1000 I had a ticket back to Oklahoma. But he told me that I lost the $450 on my other ticket, but he kindly told me that I could most likely get a travel voucher to fly one way from the Dominican Republic to any destination. this was not very reassuring because it was one way, and that would mean that I would have to get to Dominican Republic to even use the ticket. But my mother when given this information called the US office and after another half an hour on the phone they returned this $450, TRULY AMAZING! And as a special bonus the several teams from the Amazing Race through the airport while I was there.

Posted by Justin Vorel at

eta...and I am afraid that I will have little time to write all these stories out. I have a ticket back to the States on April 30th. I will be flying out of Santiago, Chile.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:55:47 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
Great work, Puddin!  :jumpy:
I don't know if this is a racer or the blogger, so I'll put it here.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »
slowhatch!!!
the guy in blue is holding a folded clue i think!
i think that's another racer!  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »
Oh happy day again! Good find Slowhatch .................

per Michael  :yess:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:22:56 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
a fwiw .. not the same blue shirt imo if anyone thinks so

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:24:30 PM by puddin »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
Monday, May 5, 2008
My flight out of Santiago-

Sometimes people make foolish mistakes that have small consequences and other mistakes can be quite costly, I made one of the costly ones last week. I booked a ticket from Santiago to Oklahoma, the ticket was $450, all the other flights were around a thousand dollars, so of course I booked the cheaper flight, when I showed up to the airport in Santiago I went to check in and the flight was not on the board, and the counter did not upon for 8 hours, so I asked a service personal and she said that she had never heard of the flight number. So I went to the airlines office and then I found out that I had booked a flight from Santiago Dominican Republic and not Santiago Chile, the lady at the desk asked me how I was planning in getting to the Dominican Republic to take this flight, and at this moment I felt like the biggest idiot in the world, some world traveller I have become. So I was blessed when the ticket sales office opened there was a very wonderful employee who worked for almost 30 minutes checking on different flights for me, actually the ticket cost was at that time $2700 to fly to Oklahoma, but my newest friend behind the counter, helped me find a flight and also came up with a special fare I think just for me, and so for $1000 I had a ticket back to Oklahoma. But he told me that I lost the $450 on my other ticket, but he kindly told me that I could most likely get a travel voucher to fly one way from the Dominican Republic to any destination. this was not very reassuring because it was one way, and that would mean that I would have to get to Dominican Republic to even use the ticket. But my mother when given this information called the US office and after another half an hour on the phone they returned this $450, TRULY AMAZING! And as a special bonus the several teams from the Amazing Race through the airport while I was there.

Posted by Justin Vorel at

eta...and I am afraid that I will have little time to write all these stories out. I have a ticket back to the States on April 30th. I will be flying out of Santiago, Chile.

Things are looking up!  apskip was on the ball as usual.  So we have teams spotted at the Santiago, Chile airport on April 30. 

So it looks like this:

Los Angeles to Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo to Salvador da Bahia

Salvador da Bahia to Santiago, Chile (transit only)

Santiago, Chile to Melbourne, Australia

(somewhere else: Tasmania, Singapore, KL)

on to Siem Reap, Cambodia

Teams have been on the road for two weeks, and we're right there with them (only two days behind, only one day actually counting that the teams gained a day crossing the International Date Line)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:56:25 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »
GMAN, that would be lost a day crossing the International Date Line east to west. To gain that day back, you have to cross it west to east. That looks unlikely in this race. Even if they finish in Hawaii(a good bet), they will be east of the International Date Line. The schedules I quoted to Melbourne show +2 to indicate that you are 2 days beyond the day of the late evening departure from Santiago of the LAN flight. One of those days is the lost day crossing the date line.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Supposed flags were seen in Melbourne @1:20pm local time on the 30th though, how long does it take to fly from Santiago to Melbourne ? (charts below)

Sao Paulo to Salvador da Bahia (4/24 to 4/25) << where did we lose the racers for 5 days?

Salvador da Bahia to Santiago, Chile (4/30)

(charts)
Santiago, Chile
Current Time Monday, May 5, 2008 at 11:04:41 PM

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Current Time Tuesday, May 6, 2008 at 1:04:11 PM EST

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »
GMAN, that would be lost a day crossing the International Date Line east to west. To gain that day back, you have to cross it west to east. That looks unlikely in this race. Even if they finish in Hawaii(a good bet), they will be east of the International Date Line. The schedules I quoted to Melbourne show +2 to indicate that you are 2 days beyond the day of the late evening departure from Santiago of the LAN flight. One of those days is the lost day crossing the date line.

Are you sure?  It seems to me that when you cross the IDL you are then in the next day.  When it is 11PM Monday in the East of the USA, it is 1PM Tuesday in Japan.  When I was on a ship going to Australia many moons ago, we skipped a Monday , but when we were returning we had two Sundays back to back with a special Sunday dinner each day (that's the Navy for you).  When you travel east to west you add a day, but traveling west to east you subtract a day.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
Supposed flags were seen in Melbourne @1:20pm local time on the 30th though, how long does it take to fly from Santiago to Melbourne ? (charts below)

Sao Paulo to Salvador da Bahia (4/24 to 4/25) << where did we lose the racers for 5 days?

(charts)
Santiago, Chile

Something doesn't jive :duno:  When it is April 30 in Santiago Chile it is already May 1 in Melbourne, Australia.  So is our sighting in both cities correct or is the sighting in Melbourne on April 30 speculation?
Or were the flags put up early or for a test before the racers arrived on May 1.  Was that the actual date of the sighting in Santiago, or when the blogger posted.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Something doesn't jive :duno:  When it is April 30 in Santiago Chile it is already May 1 in Melbourne, Australia.  So is our sighting in both cities correct or is the sighting in Melbourne on April 30 speculation?
Or were the flags put up early or for a test before the racers arrived on May 1.  Was that the actual date of the sighting in Santiago, or when the blogger posted.
He wrote that his ticket back to the states was for April 30th Gman.

eta the Melbourne post
raceguy120390
Apr 30, 2008 @ 10:22 pm  
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine. Apparently - though I can't prove one way or the other because they don't have a camera and I'm stuck at uni - there's a flag on top of an office building on Elizabeth Street right now. The only likely task, if any, would be one of those 'look out the window and find a flag' deals. I'm thinking there's also a cluebox set up right now on the Rialto Towers Observation Deck, which would make sense because there's a new tower with a higher observation deck, and this gets fewer spoilerhunters like myself.

Firstly, crappy task, even if it's one I just speculated about, and secondly, evil making them visit Melbourne in the middle of a cold snap - currently it's around 1:20pm local time
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:26:19 PM by puddin »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »

He wrote that his ticket back to the states was for April 30th Gman.

eta the Melbourne post
raceguy120390
Apr 30, 2008 @ 10:22 pm  
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine. Apparently - though I can't prove one way or the other because they don't have a camera and I'm stuck at uni - there's a flag on top of an office building on Elizabeth Street right now. The only likely task, if any, would be one of those 'look out the window and find a flag' deals. I'm thinking there's also a cluebox set up right now on the Rialto Towers Observation Deck, which would make sense because there's a new tower with a higher observation deck, and this gets fewer spoilerhunters like myself.

Firstly, crappy task, even if it's one I just speculated about, and secondly, evil making them visit Melbourne in the middle of a cold snap - currently it's around 1:20pm local time

He doen't actually say when he was at the airport, perhaps he was there the day before getting his new ticket.  Then this would make sense since if the teams left on April 29, they could be seen in Melbourne on April 30

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
Why did they have to do a task in Melbourne? even raceguy isn't so sure.

raceguy120390

I don't know about the building, his phone cut out at precisely the wrong moment. I've been trying to get a hold of him since I posted for more, but... yeah.

But he did tell me it was a 'gold and red flag like that show you obsess about'.

ETA: He's the sort of person who would play a trick on me like this, so there's about a 50% chance he's sitting at home laughing his frozen arse off at me right now.  

Read the Santiago blog Gman..

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:46:05 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 12:09:24 AM »
International Date Line:

Cross the line from the east to the west and a day is added. Cross from west to the east and a day is subtracted.

source: http://geography.about.com/od/physicalgeography/a/idl.htm (This is the easiest explanation site that I have found...)

And according to the world clock page: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Melbourne is 14 hours ahead of Santiago.

But  :wohoo: another contestant!  :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2008, 03:30:57 AM »
whole lot more photos in this blog here of various teams at airport
http://jumpingthetracks.blogspot.com/2008/05/amazing-race.html

Was just in the Siem Reap, Cambodia airport with the next Amazing Race people. When I asked one of the crew, he hesitated and told me it was a documentary. Then I looked around and saw 12 crew members, 7 cameras and 9 boom mikes. Then two of the contestants who had overheard me talking about going to Nepal earlier, snuck away from everyone to ask me if I was going to India.

And they were headed from Cambodia to Thailand to India.

But they were down to 6 teams

another commenter on the site said
Yes ! they are definitely contestants from the Amazing Race Show. We were at Tonle Sap Lake and saw route markers (Flags in red and yellow) on 6 boats at the pier. There were camera crew but we did not see the contestants. Very exciting !

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:01 AM »
6 teams and there are is female team great!!

The Blogger didn't sound very complimentary about the girls' perceived IQ...they didn't seem to understand that Nepal (where he was going) was not the same as India (where they are going), and then supposedly they went the wrong way at the airport (:;)

I want a super intelligent, super fit female team to show those alpha males how it's done

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »
Oh just WOW! Mrs Shrek!!

Excellent find! :hearts:

Darn and I have to leave for work.... :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »
We'll need at least 5 legs by the conclusion of Cambodia. So far we only have two for sure? (Salvador & Siem Reap)

(AYL map moved further down the thread...)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:51:41 AM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2008, 07:59:51 AM »
And Neobie's AYL is back!!  :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »

(charts)
Santiago, Chile

GMAN, you have to use the conventional time systems to get this right. The flights that AR13 teams took left Santiago at 2245 on April 28. they cross the International Date Line in flight and since it was more than 1 hour into the flight it is April 30. The individual time zones are flowing with the plane, so a 13 hour 10 minute flight consumes 8 hours of time difference and arrives at 355am in Auckland(which is hours ahead of Melbourne). Then there is a transfer to QF26 departing Auckland 0615, a 4 hour flight losing another 2 hours of time difference from crossing time zones, and arriving Melbourne at 0815. The alternate flight, which it is highly likely was actually used for debunching some of the teams, was NZ7 0740 0930. Note that this has teams arriving correctly on April 30.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
Good job Mrs Shrek & Neobie!!  :jumpy:  :yess:

Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Amazing Race
Was just in the Siem Reap, Cambodia airport with the next Amazing Race people. When I asked one of the crew, he hesitated and told me it was a documentary. Then I looked around and saw 12 crew members, 7 cameras and 9 boom mikes. Then two of the contestants who had overheard me talking about going to Nepal earlier, snuck away from everyone to ask me if I was going to India. Here's the transcript of that conversation:

Girls: Hey
Me: Hey
Girls: Um, can you do us a favor? So you're going to India?
Me: No, actually Nepal.
Girls: Oh. Is that near India?

At this point I knew immediately that they were, in fact, not going to win this show.

Me: Uhhhhh, I guess you could say that. They're neighbors so yeah. Are you with that "documentary" that's really called "Amazing Race"?
Girls; We're not really supposed to talk about it. It's just a travel show.
Me: Right. Anyway, what can I do for you?
Girls: Well, we need to find something in India and thought you might be able to help since you were going near there.
Me: Okkkkkkkkk. But I'm actually going to Nepal.

Undeterred, they pressed on...

Girls: Well, we're looking for something really obscure in Delhi.

At this point I gave up and decided to just try to find out more about the show. Although I should note the desperation of continuing to ask me about Delhi when I was going to an entirely different country is really funny. But I did suggest couchsurfing as a means to find someone in Delhi and ask them a question or post on a message board there. I also offered to contact my old buddy Cal who's in India but they have no email access. Besides that, they have limited internet access, again, no email, no facebook (don't know why that was volunteered) and they get clues to go find stuff like on the show. And they were headed from Cambodia to Thailand to India. They're only on the trip for a month. EVERYTHING points to the Amazing Race.

Anyway, sat in front of all of them on the plane where they were filmed almost the entire time and took pictures on the bus and in the Bangkok airport that I'll post. They're kinda blurry but I'll blame that on bad lighting and me trying to chase them to get a picture. There's one picture of people on an escalator. One guy in the yellow headband and jew-fro who's prominently displayed in the picture is a contestant with a HUGE star of david around his neck. Can't wait till that sadly gets airbrushed out. Also, the girls I was talking to went the wrong way so that's how I got so many pictures of them. But they were down to 6 teams so I guess they made it that far. Wait, I can use this information to bet on this, can't I?

Enjoy the pics.

Posted by JSF at 12:05 AM   
1 comments:
Donut Diary said...
Yes ! they are definitely contestants from the Amazing Race Show. We were at Tonle Sap Lake and saw route markers (Flags in red and yellow) on 6 boats at the pier. There were camera crew but we did not see the contestants. Very exciting !

May 6, 2008 12:55 AM 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28:53 AM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:32:39 AM by puddin »

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »
And i recognize red bandana man from the extra video's from last seasons.

not a pit stop though no mat.