Author Topic: TAR Wishlist - locations, routes, twists, teams, tasks & dreams!**NO SPOILERS**  (Read 1545519 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Houston, I'm astounded the fifth largest city in the U.S. has not been visited despite its taxi shortage.
 :idgit

What do you mean by taxi shortage, does Houston have a problem where there are too few taxis? That would be mental considering theirs virtually no good public transport, but surely this wouldn't inhibit the race as they could have a self drive or just order in 3 taxis.

I have always wondered why Dallas is visited over Houston, also why no Austin or San Antonio. Come to think there are so many US cities that need visits for a first time or again, Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Denver, also San Diego with all the visits to LA you'd think they'd go to San Diego.
Houston doesn't have a lot of taxis because most, if not all, of the residents there have to drive to get to places 99% of the time in the city and the pedestrian pathways there are super demotivating and lack care. I was there visiting one of my old college friends over a summer weekend and toured the city. I was amazed how disconnected everyone was from everywhere and my friend said that she has never seen a taxi (Uber or Lyft don't count since they're private cars) in the 7 years living there. Here in Chicago, I can walk around my neighborhood and see at least one person, and spontaneously walk to the grocery store and pharmacy. Seeing a few taxis every day is normal for me. In Houston, I didn't see a single person casually walking the sidewalks while I was being driven around by her. I saw a city bus and lightrail and no one was riding on them. Talk about culture shock. So if a team ends up losing their taxi in Houston, :waves:.

Ah that's so crazy. The USA is so weird in that their development caused all infrastructure funding to go towards roads instead of public transport with the exceptions of NYC, Boston & Chicago (Correct me if there are more), but I never knew that about taxis in Houston, maybe a self drive finale?
Probably should add LA, San Francisco, Vegas, Portland, and Seattle to that public transport-heavy list as well. Most of the west coast is highly developed. The tornado alley, not really.

Depends on how you define developed. Ames, Iowa has the third largest per capita public transit ridership (behind NYC and San Francisco) with a population of ~60,000. Granted it's a college town and most of the ridership is college students. But still, there are plenty of midwestern towns that make the list in terms of per capita ridership.

See table 3 on this website.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/APTA_Fact-Book-2019_FINAL.pdf
I'd take account that most of these cities on that list are well-known college towns including the big cities and it's more of a requirement for the university to be well-connected with its city so the data is kind of skewed in that way. I'm focusing on the connection between local residents of the area that don't feel limited in their options to travel around the city. I immediately noticed Penn State (State College, PA) and it's definitely more of a place that you drive or walk to different places within the scope of the city than call for a taxi or ride a bus (at least for permanent residents). But the ones I listed on the west coast even with the addition of primarily college towns made it on the list (SF/Concord, Seattle, Portland, LA, Vegas).
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Houston, I'm astounded the fifth largest city in the U.S. has not been visited despite its taxi shortage.
 :idgit

What do you mean by taxi shortage, does Houston have a problem where there are too few taxis? That would be mental considering theirs virtually no good public transport, but surely this wouldn't inhibit the race as they could have a self drive or just order in 3 taxis.

I have always wondered why Dallas is visited over Houston, also why no Austin or San Antonio. Come to think there are so many US cities that need visits for a first time or again, Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Denver, also San Diego with all the visits to LA you'd think they'd go to San Diego.
Houston doesn't have a lot of taxis because most, if not all, of the residents there have to drive to get to places 99% of the time in the city and the pedestrian pathways there are super demotivating and lack care. I was there visiting one of my old college friends over a summer weekend and toured the city. I was amazed how disconnected everyone was from everywhere and my friend said that she has never seen a taxi (Uber or Lyft don't count since they're private cars) in the 7 years living there. Here in Chicago, I can walk around my neighborhood and see at least one person, and spontaneously walk to the grocery store and pharmacy. Seeing a few taxis every day is normal for me. In Houston, I didn't see a single person casually walking the sidewalks while I was being driven around by her. I saw a city bus and lightrail and no one was riding on them. Talk about culture shock. So if a team ends up losing their taxi in Houston, :waves:.

Ah that's so crazy. The USA is so weird in that their development caused all infrastructure funding to go towards roads instead of public transport with the exceptions of NYC, Boston & Chicago (Correct me if there are more), but I never knew that about taxis in Houston, maybe a self drive finale?
Probably should add LA, San Francisco, Vegas, Portland, and Seattle to that public transport-heavy list as well. Most of the west coast is highly developed. The tornado alley, not really.

Depends on how you define developed. Ames, Iowa has the third largest per capita public transit ridership (behind NYC and San Francisco) with a population of ~60,000. Granted it's a college town and most of the ridership is college students. But still, there are plenty of midwestern towns that make the list in terms of per capita ridership.

See table 3 on this website.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/APTA_Fact-Book-2019_FINAL.pdf
I'd take account that most of these cities on that list are well-known college towns including the big cities and it's more of a requirement for the university to be well-connected with its city so the data is kind of skewed in that way. I'm focusing on the connection between local residents of the area that don't feel limited in their options to travel around the city. I immediately noticed Penn State (State College, PA) and it's definitely more of a place that you drive or walk to different places within the scope of the city than call for a taxi or ride a bus (at least for permanent residents). But the ones I listed on the west coast even with the addition of primarily college towns made it on the list (SF/Concord, Seattle, Portland, LA, Vegas).

As an aside, I do still consider college students still as local residents, they very much are a part of a city and its culture. I understand how people like to separate students from the rest of the city, but I think it's unfair to say public transit ridership doesn't count if it's a university town. Public transit connects a city and is available to all residents, and is used by some non-student residents. Yes being a university town helps to explain the phenomenon, but it's still a city that is well connected by public transit.

But yes I agree with the main point that unless you are in one of the few places that are densely populated (whether that is a city or university town) with good access to public transit or lots of needs within walking distance, Americans will drive places to get from A to B.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Here is a route:

Leg 1: Los Angeles, USA to St. Georges, Grenada
Leg 2: St. Georges to Paramaribo, Suriname
Leg 3: Paramaribo to Amsterdam, Netherlands
Leg 4: Amsterdam to Lome, Togo
Leg 5: Togo
Leg 6: Togo to Sofia, Bulgaria
Leg 7: Sofia, Bulgaria to Doha, Qatar
Leg 8: Doha, Qatar to Kathmandu, Nepal
Leg 9: Kathmandu to Kolkata, India
Leg 10: Kolkata, India to Sydney Australia
Leg 11: Sydney, Australia
Leg 12: Sydney to Seattle, Washington

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Here is a route:

Leg 1: Los Angeles, USA to St. Georges, Grenada
Leg 2: St. Georges to Paramaribo, Suriname
Leg 3: Paramaribo to Amsterdam, Netherlands
Leg 4: Amsterdam to Lome, Togo
Leg 5: Togo
Leg 6: Togo to Sofia, Bulgaria
Leg 7: Sofia, Bulgaria to Doha, Qatar
Leg 8: Doha, Qatar to Kathmandu, Nepal
Leg 9: Kathmandu to Kolkata, India
Leg 10: Kolkata, India to Sydney Australia
Leg 11: Sydney, Australia
Leg 12: Sydney to Seattle, Washington

:like:   Only what in AMS?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I am sure BVM will find something unique lol, or something in the Amsterdam region. The leg is a transition leg as it has direct flights from Suriname

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
I am sure BVM will find something unique lol, or something in the Amsterdam region. The leg is a transition leg as it has direct flights from Suriname

It's amazing to make that Suriname - Netherlands connection!  :luvya:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
This one would be a dream!

Leg 1: New York City, NY > Dublin, Ireland > Clonmacnois, Ireland
Leg 2: Dublin, Ireland
Leg 3: Dublin, Ireland > Lausanne, Switzerland
Leg 4: Lausanne, Switzerland > Luanda, Angola > Dundo, Angola
Leg 5: Ndalatando, Angola
Leg 6: Ndalatando, Angola > Kuwait City, Kuwait
Leg 7: Kuwait City, Kuwait > Rangpur, Bangladesh
Leg 8: Gaibandha, Bangladesh
Leg 9: Gaibandha, Bangladesh > Phnom Pehn, Cambodia
Leg 10: Phnom Pehn, Cambodia > Vladivostok, Russia
Leg 11: Zarubino, Russia
Leg 12: Vladivostok, Russia > Seattle, US

US > Ireland > Switzerland > Angola > Kuwait > Bangladesh > Cambodia > Russia > US

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Whilst this isnt my own wish

James Charles said on his last YouTube he really wants to do the Amazing Race

so, do with that info what you want  :lol:

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
So far the final legs in TAR US versions almost always take place in cities (or have some tasks in the city before going somewhere in suburbs).

If you want TAR US finale takes place takes fully outside of cities (with an exception of landing in an airport in cities, but directly followed by travelling to suburbs/remote area like by using helicopter, self driving, etc.), what destinations would you like to them visiting? What tasks would you like to see?

I'm asking this after seeing some final legs in TAR Canada that are not always took place in big cities, but instead can be happening fully in suburbs or towns like in Whistler, Banff, Port Carling, etc. I would like to see this happens in the US version as well. :luvya:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
I want a finale in Jackson, Wyoming; cowboy theme with backdrop of Grand Teton Park.

Offline Pi/

• RFF Full Member
Just a few ideas:
* Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Amish life tasks
* Aspen/Vail/Telluride, Colorado: Great for a winter finale with plenty of outdoor recreation
* Anywhere in Vermont: Beautiful fall foliage and New England culture
* Asheville, North Carolina: Mountains & arts
* Everglades, Florida: About an hour from Miami
* Big Bear Lake, California: About 2 hours from LAX
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Just a few ideas:

TAR8 Build It or Buggy It Switchback?! Another finale with a Family Edition Switchback?!  :luvya:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Just a few ideas:

TAR8 Build It or Buggy It Switchback?! Another finale with a Family Edition Switchback?!  :luvya:
Time for another buggy near-incident :lol:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
Caserta palace in italy have very long straight garden-fountain and apparently they give an optical illusion farther than it looks
could u imagine if they have to grab a clue there? there will be many racer cry out loud "omigawd it farther than it looks!" while running wild out of breath

Swarm stupidity

Offline Retroknight12

• RFF Not So Newbie
Wishlist/Dream Race Route

Starting Line: Venice Beach
Leg 1: Los Angeles, USA --> Sendai, Japan
Leg 2: Sendai, Japan --> Singapore
Leg 3: Singapore --> Kolkata, India
Leg 4: Kolkata, India
Leg 5: Kolkata, India --> Mombasa, Kenya
Leg 6: Mombasa, Kenya --> Alexandria, Egypt
Leg 7: Alexandria, Egypt --> Athens, Greece
Leg 8: Athens, Greece
Leg 9: Athens, Greece --> Hamburg, Germany
Leg 10: Hamburg, Germany --> Reykjavik, Iceland
Leg 11: Reykjavik, Iceland --> Toronto, Canada
Leg 12: Toronto, Canada --> Milwaukee, USA
Finish Line: Miller Park

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 1: Los Angeles, US > Chengdu, China
Leg 2: Ziyang, China
Leg 3: Ziyang, China > Malé, Maldives
Leg 4: Malé, Maldives > Baku, Azerbaijan
Leg 5: Baku, Azerbaijan > Ankara, Turkey
Leg 6: Ankara, Turkey
Leg 7: Ankara, Turkey > Lagos, Nigeria
Leg 8: Lagos, Nigeria
Leg 9: Lagos, Nigeria > Brun, Czech Republic
Leg 10: Brun, Czech Republic > Bergen, Norway
Leg 11: Fjell, Norway
Leg 12: Fjell, Norway > Washington, DC

US > China > Maldives > Azerbaijan > Turkey > Nigeria > Czech Republic > Norway > US

Offline Pi/

• RFF Full Member
Leg 1: Las Vegas, NV > Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Leg 2: Taiwan > Colombo, Sri Lanka
Leg 3: Galle, Sri Lanka
Leg 4: Sri Lanka > Male, Maldives
Leg 5: Maldives > Gondar, Ethiopia
Leg 6: Ethiopia > Yerevan, Armenia
Leg 7: Armenia > Budapest, Hungary
Leg 8: Esztergom, Hungary
Leg 9: Hungary > Helsinki, Finland
Leg 10: Finland > Casablanca, Morocco
Leg 11: Morocco > Jaco, Costa Rica
Leg 12: Jaco > Austin, Texas

Just a route I thought of today
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
Leg 1: Los Angeles, US > Chengdu, China
Leg 2: Ziyang, China
Leg 3: Ziyang, China > Malé, Maldives
Leg 4: Malé, Maldives > Baku, Azerbaijan
Leg 5: Baku, Azerbaijan > Ankara, Turkey
Leg 6: Ankara, Turkey
Leg 7: Ankara, Turkey > Lagos, Nigeria
Leg 8: Lagos, Nigeria
Leg 9: Lagos, Nigeria > Brun, Czech Republic
Leg 10: Brun, Czech Republic > Bergen, Norway
Leg 11: Fjell, Norway
Leg 12: Fjell, Norway > Washington, DC

US > China > Maldives > Azerbaijan > Turkey > Nigeria > Czech Republic > Norway > US

OMG, Fjell as in the municipality Fjell?! Wow, so random, but so cool. I'm grew up in Fjell.
Which places in Fjell do you want TAR to visit?

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
OMG, Fjell as in the municipality Fjell?! Wow, so random, but so cool. I'm grew up in Fjell.

I don't know for sure as i've never designed a proper leg but a random rural cold leg there would be awesome.

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member

I don't know for sure as i've never designed a proper leg but a random rural cold leg there would be awesome.

Well, I wouldn't say that Fjell is the coldest place in Norway, since it's right outside Bergen on the west coast (20 minutes drive).
It would be more things to do and more interesting places to visit if you include the municipalities Sund and Øygarden (although Fjell, Sund and Øygarden merged into one municipality this year). For example Telavåg, with its history during WW2, and Hellesøy, a fishing village north in Øygarden etc.

Hopefully TAR will visit Bergen one day, and it would have been interesting for them to have a pit-stop at West Norwegian Emigration Center, an open-air museum on Radøy, north of Bergen, which have buildings from "the Norwegian areas" in US, as a homage to the Norwegian emigration to USA at the end of the 19th century and beginning of 20th century.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
All of you know that the DESIGN CHALLENGE is taking APPS right?

Join the FUN!

https://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,36350.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline totumo

• RFF Newbie
Hello peach how do I join this?

Offline Stone

• RFF Not So Newbie
Hello peach how do I join this?

Not peach, but I can help you out.

Follow this link to the Design Contest thread and just copy and paste the most recent signup list to your own post and add your name at the bottom.

https://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,36350.50.html

It's starting Sunday so there's only one day left to sign up and its our first Design Challenge here on RFF in many years. It's supposed to run until about September and there are currently 17 others signed up. We're all very excited about it.

I suggest you read through the entire thread before it begins.

Offline totumo

• RFF Newbie
Thank you. Peach just messaged me. I was here years ago but did not know this game was still on. I would love to join. I will need to reread the past few times to make sure I am ready to play. Where can I find this? :-)

Offline Stone

• RFF Not So Newbie
Thank you. Peach just messaged me. I was here years ago but did not know this game was still on. I would love to join. I will need to reread the past few times to make sure I am ready to play. Where can I find this? :-)

Peach linked to them here in the discussion thread about bringing the Design Challenge back. I hope you end up joining! :conf:

https://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,36148.msg1277398.html#new