Author Topic: Racer Events  (Read 4546 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Racer Events
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
For the maybe third (?) year running, racers made an appearance at Corona del Mar High School Spanish teacher Nelson Rojas' Spanish Classes. There this year were Meghan and Cheyne, Zev and Justin, Toni and Dallas, and Kynt and Vyxsin, AND Maria!! :hearts:

Best of all, RFF's Chateau was on the scene...so make him put up his pictures!! :lol:

Published Friday, January 15, 2010 5:39 PM PST
Daily Pilot
"Amazing Race" contestants wow local students with visit
Corona del Mar High School Spanish instructor blends the TV show into his curriculum.
By Brianna Bailey

Students from teacher Nelson Rojas’ Spanish classes jumped up and down on the wooden bleachers in the gym at Corona del Mar High School on Friday. They were shrieking and cheering in excitement as several contestants from the hit CBS reality show “The Amazing Race” leaped out of a storage room.

These included season 15 winners Meghan Rickey and Cheyne Whitney. The contestants visited Corona del Mar on Friday to talk to Rojas’ students about the importance of learning foreign languages.

“Stick with your language in college. I wish I would have kept going,” Whitney told the students. “It’s really going to come in handy in everyday life and in the business world.”

For the past eight years, Rojas has been using the show to get his students excited about learning Spanish and traveling.

The Emmy-winning series follows pairs of contestants in a race around the world to win prizes. Rojas’ students watch the show and then discuss aspects of it in Spanish. At the end of each school year, Rojas’ students play a version of “Amazing Race” at their school with clues in Spanish.

Rojas has been a fan of the show since it debuted in 2001.

“I just loved to travel and it helps to make my curriculum more alive,” Rojas said. “I want [my students] to get excited about travel. They don’t even have to study Spanish, I just want to go somewhere.”

Rojas convinced the contestants to visit Corona del Mar by having his students bombard them with messages on the social networking website Facebook.

Sitting on folding chairs in front of Rojas’ students in the gym, the contestants answered questions about the challenges they faced on the show.

“Will you go to Winter formal with me,” one young man asked Rickey as his classmates giggled.

Students on Friday also got a surprise visit from Phil Keoghan, the host of “The Amazing Race” for the past 15 seasons. Keoghan appeared in the Corona del Mar gym via an Internet video conference link. A native of New Zealand, Keoghan spoke to Rojas’s students about being a good guest when traveling abroad.

“I think the most important thing to remember is to treat the people you meet with respect,” Keoghan said. “When you travel to another country, it’s like you’re stepping into someone else’s home. It’s important to show respect and interest in their culture.”

http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2010/01/15/local_news/dpt-amazingrace011609.art.txt

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:27:30 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Racer Events
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Maria was there too!

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
Nice to see Cheyne's hair hasn't lost its bounce.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
Wonderful story; thanks Peach and Chateau! :jumpy:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
Maria is way taller in person than I remember her in show.  She explained that the carnival bell was even hard for the guys.  Only Matt got it in the first hit.   (:;)  I hate those things too.  They are very humbling!  I told Meghan that she would have to be the one to organize a TAR 10-year reunion.  Help from CBS ...  Ha Ha Ha Ha NO!

The students were really a lot of fun.  There was one colored up just like Matt.  And the organizing teacher does a great job putting this all together.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:26:46 AM »
Wow, that's interesting! Great pics, Chateau! :hearts:

I wish I was in that class! :lol:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »
Nice to see Cheyne's hair hasn't lost its bounce.
Now he uses the really expensive gel though.
But whats up with his big white watch? He wore it during the race too. You'd think he could afford something better now...

Oh - and are they wearing their duck whisperer t-shirts?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere