Author Topic: IT'S BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL: ETHAN VOTED OUT  (Read 2508 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
IT'S BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL: ETHAN VOTED OUT
« on: March 17, 2004, 11:10:48 PM »
IT'S BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL: ETHAN VOTED OUT

The last remaining former Sole Survivor has been eliminated. Likeable Ethan Zohn, the 30-year-old winner of SURVIVOR: AFRICA from Lexington, Massachusetts, could not charm his way out of seeing his torch extinguished as his Mogo Mogo tribemates sent him home in a four-to-one decision. Having been warned beforehand by his good friend Lex van den Berghe, the 40-year-old All-Star of SURVIVOR: AFRICA from Santa Cruz, California, Ethan tried in vain to stave off his ouster, but sadly could not prevent the inevitable.

Shortly after hearing the fateful vote, Ethan sighed, "Tonight I had no control over what happened. I fought to the bitter end, and I got farther than any other winner, and I'm extremely proud of that."

ONE IS THE LONELIEST NUMBER

Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien, the 50-year-old castaway of SURVIVOR: MARQUESAS from Burlington, Vermont, returned to Mogo Mogo from an exciting reward trip while the rest of her tribe was still at Tribal Council. As a rainstorm poured down, Kathy built a fire, speaking to herself aloud, "I was sipping champagne on the bow of a multimillion dollar yacht, and now I'm soaking wet trying to save this fire."
AMBASSADORS AT LARGE

On the morning of day twenty, the tribes awoke to Tree Mail instructing them to choose one ambassador to go to the other tribe's camp. At Chapera, nobody volunteered, so they had to draw straws to decide. Jenna Lewis, the 26-year-old castaway of SURVIVOR: PULAU TIGA BORNEO from Franklin, New Hampshire drew the shortest straw and was on her way. At Mogo Mogo, the decision was easier as the tribe selected Kathy, who had already built a rapport with Chapera the day before.

As the Ambassadors arrived at the opposing camps, they learned they were to choose three items that would serve as rewards in the upcoming Challenge. "Our camp is amazing, especially our shelter. We have a tarp, we have a parachute, plus we have blankets, we have pillows," worried Chapera's Alicia Calaway, the 35-year-old castaway of SURVIVOR: THE AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK from Trumbull, Connecticut.
REWARD CHALLENGE: LOG JAM

As the tribes assembled for the Challenge, host Jeff Probst explained that this competition would be a log roll. One at a time, members from each tribe would square off, man vs. man and woman vs. woman. The first person to hit the water would be out, and the winner would earn a point. The first tribe to earn five points would win the reward. Chapera would win Mogo Mogo's grill, one bag of their rice and their Hawaiian sling. Mogo Mogo would win Chapera's blanket and parachute, as well as their tarp.

The Challenge began with a splash when Shii Ann Huang, the 30-year-old All-Star of SURVIVOR: THAILAND from New York City, rolled Alicia into the water first, giving Mogo Mogo the lead. Mogo Mogo ran out to a two-to-nothing lead, only to see it vanish when Rob Mariano, the 28-year-old castaway of SURVIVOR: MARQUESAS from Boston, Massachusetts, outlasted Lex to tie the event at two. Chapera saw their lead increase four to three. The final and most crucial bout commenced between Kathy and Amber Brkich, the 25-year-old All-Star of SURVIVOR: THE AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK from Beaver, Pennsylvania. But it wasn't even close, and Amber made quick work of Kathy, securing the Challenge, and the reward, for Chapera.

FIRST KISS After Jenna returned from Mogo Mogo, the Chapera tribe celebrated the arrival of their new tools. The fire wasn't the only thing providing the heat, as Rob and Amber took their relationship to the next level. For the first time ever on SURVIVOR, a kiss sealed this romantic relationship. "I'm definitely attracted to her. It'd be nice to have a million dollars and take the girl away too," dreamed Boston Rob.
THE GREAT CHAPERA FISH OFF

On day twenty-one at Chapera, Rupert Boneham, the 40-year-old castaway of SURVIVOR: PEARL ISLANDS PANAMA from Indianapolis, Indiana, excitedly grabbed the newly won Hawaiian sling, hit the water and returned with a bevy of fish. Not to be outdone, Boston Rob took to the water to return with eleven fish, which threatened Rupert's position as Chapera's provider. "We can use Rupert or the Hawaiian sling. The Hawaiian sling doesn't need any rice, so Rupert's stock just went down about twenty points," smiled Rob.  

IMMUNITY CHALLENGE: CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

When the tribes reconvened for an Immunity Challenge, Jeff Probst explained that this would be a target Challenge involving numerous weapons. The first would be a blowgun, followed by a spear, and finally, one member from each tribe would match up against each other with a bow an arrow for Immunity. The amount of arrows each tribe member would be allotted would be determined by the blowgun and spear rounds. When all the arrows are gone, the player to hit closest to center wins immunity for the tribe.

The blow guns didn't hit much as Mogo Mogo's Jerri Manthey, the 33-year-old tribe member of SURVIVOR: THE AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK from Stuttgart, Germany, was the only castaway to even hit the target. The All-Stars didn't do much better with the spears, as Lex had a chance to give his tribe a huge advantage by landing his spear closer to the target than Rupert's, but he couldn't do it.
In the final, decisive round, Chapera chose Boston Rob to be their marksman while Jerry volunteered for Mogo Mogo. Each was given three arrows, and the arrow that hit closest to the center of the target would win. But it only took one: Boston Rob hit the target once, while Jerry couldn't hit it at all. Once again, Mogo Mogo had lost Immunity.

ANOTHER TRIBAL COUNCIL FOR MOGO MOGO

Crushed, the Mogo Mogo tribe returned to camp with the unenviable task of choosing whom to send home. Lex immediately took the lead by assembling an alliance in order to vote out Ethan. In an unprecedented move, Lex then told Ethan that he was going to be voted out. As a friend, Lex thought Ethan should know that it was "only business." Angry, Ethan didn't take it well as he tried to put together an alliance on the fly in order to vote out Jerri.

In the end, business defeated friendship as Ethan's alliance didn't take, and his torch was extinguished after the four-to-one vote.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor8/show/episode08/s8story5.shtml

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • One day..... I Will Outlast, Outwit & Outplay
Re:IT'S BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL: ETHAN VOTED OUT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 09:07:34 AM »
Yeah- What's up with Lex telling Ethan..... I think that was wrong... If he were so concerned about being Ethan's "friend", then why did he vote him off in the first place?
Wendy Jean

SURVIVOR 11- HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mamaschatzi

• Mama , Robs First Angel
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Redheads Rule!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:48:13 AM »
I was thinking about that too Wendy but I absolutely adore Lex.  I think he did the right thing by telling Ethan.  I didn't like how Ethan turned around and kinda "stretched the truth" when he was trying to sway Kathy over to his side.
We may rise and fall, but in the end
We meet our fate together.....Creed

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 01:56:57 PM »
Yeah- I thought that, but then I was like, well..... there are probably things that are said that we don't really get to see ya know?
Wendy Jean

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 05:23:22 PM »
I adore Ethan & Lex & I could go on and on..I adore all of the men.. :-\.. athough Rob M pissed me off by picking on my Rupert >:(..but,I forgive him..he's so easy on the eyes  ;).
Now woman..that's another story!!
How about my girl Shi-Ann! I loved that she beat Alicia TWICE in the log roll!! ;D Did you see how quick
Alicia volunteered to sit out the IC? ;D ;D LOL
Jerri...I don't feel sorry for her anymore..its time for her to go ByeBye   ::)
Jenna L how cute was she ? I loved that Chapara sent soap & a few cleaning items to Mogo..Jenna was just a sweetie..absolutly perfect. :-*

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 09:07:17 AM »
Yeah- they really didn't seem to excited about the items she brought them. They seemed more concerned for Jenna to let them kieep some rice....
Wendy Jean

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 01:27:25 AM »
Ethan has to realize Lex did what he thought would further him in the game.  I think I read somewhere in this message board that Lex helped Ethan get to where he eventually won the million bucks.  I could be wrong on that as I never saw the AFrica series.  But Ethan should be happy he lasted this long as he seemed to have a target on his back from Day 1.  Also he was saved when the team dumped Richard.