Author Topic: Writers Strike  (Read 13065 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Writers Strike
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
Will the strike mean leaner times in LA in the future?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/04/business/media/04writers.html?em&ex=1202360400&en=83b6c319e05186e7&ei=5087%0A

But even as the sides were moving toward conciliation, many of those best-versed in the writers’ business were fretting that a more complicated, and perhaps less lucrative, future lies ahead. In interviews last week, lawyers and others — some of whom were granted anonymity to avoid derailing talks — cautioned that a post-strike world appeared likely to bring more imports from foreign television, diminished spending on expensive pilot episodes and even more reality programming.

And it could also mean that studios and networks, which had tightened budgets before the strike, will now take an even tougher stance in individual negotiations, and dole out fewer rich development deals than in the past.

Oscar Update:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jHQz2uBAs9-IgbQkBMd60768DOzQD8UK5N481

The fate of the Oscars on Feb. 24 remains uncertain but looks brighter as the Writers Guild of America makes progress on a new contract with producers that would end the union's three-month-old strike.

Insiders say writers and producers made a breakthrough on negotiations late last week that has left everyone in Hollywood hopeful that the labor quarrel would be settled. That would allow the Oscars to avoid the fate that has been looming since the Golden Globes, whose glitzy telecast was scrapped after stars made it clear they would stay away in honor of writers' picket lines.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
 :yess: :jumpy: ;D

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
The strike is NOT officially over but it is looking that way this week.

The WGA leaders accepted the deal over the weekend and now the entire membership will vote on Tuesday whether to accept it or not. The members were strongly encouraged to approve it to put an end to the almost three and half month strike which has crippled the community to a staggering cost of one and half billion dollars lost.

We shall have the official word sometime on Tuesday afternoon.   

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »
Also I should point out the good news may be short-lived because the Actor's Guild are threatening to go on strike on June 30th. If they do, then the fall season will be suspended and no movies will be filmed. That is even worse than the current strike situation.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
Drat! :groan:  What's the matter with these peeps?  They're already filthy rich, and they want more $$$$$$$$$$$? 

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
To be honest, the writers aren't paid all that much.
Just here to visit.