Author Topic: Dancing With the Stars Season Six Cast Revealed!  (Read 25069 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Dancing With the Stars Season Six Cast Revealed!
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »

Dancing with the Stars

February 19, 2008

The twelve celebrity dancers stepping into the ballroom on season six of ABC's Dancing With the Stars found out who their professional partners will be on Good Morning America Tuesday.

The announcement was made live on the morning telecast, a day after the celebrity cast was revealed on Monday night's Dance War finale.

Notably absent from the pro list is fan favorite and two-time finalist Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who confirmed to PEOPLE Saturday that he was taking this season off. New to the cast is Chmerkovskiy's pal, mambo champion Fabian Sanchez. Returning favorites this season are two-time DWTS champs Cheryl Burke and Julianne Hough, as well as Edyta Sliwinska, the only pro to compete in all six seasons of the show.

Here's the lineup of who's paired with whom:

Olympic Gold Medal skater Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark Ballas
Actress Priscilla Presley and Louis van Amstel
NFL star Jason Taylor and Edyta Sliwinska
Actor Cristian de la Fuente and Cheryl Burke
R&B singer Mario and Karina Smirnoff
Oscar-Award-winning actress Marlee Matlin and Fabian Sanchez
Illusionist Penn Jillette and Kym Johnson
TV and Radio Personality Adam Carolla and Julianne Hough
Actress Shannon Elizabeth and Derek Hough
Actress Marissa Jaret Winokur and Tony Dovolani
Former Tennis Champ Monica Seles and Jonathan Roberts
Actor Steve Guttenberg and Anna Trebunskaya

The cast all met for the first time in Chicago on Tuesday to tape a special DWTS-themed episode of Oprah Winfrey's talk show, which will air on Thursday, Feb. 21. Joining the new cast on Oprah will be previous Dancing winners Kelly Monaco, Drew Lachey, Emmitt Smith and Helio Castroneves.

Dancing's season six premiere kicks off on March 17

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
Re: Dancing With the Stars Season Six Cast Revealed!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
I was so happy to see my favorite radio host ADAM CAROLLA on this season.  He's so funny, I'm excited!

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
I like Adam... he is funny.  I have to admit I will have to google some of these people because I do not know who they are.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
I'm surprised (and I'm thankful) I know half of the cast. The people I don't know are the NFLer, Mario, the two actors, and Marlee Matlin.

Anyone predicting an early winner?
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
Jason Taylor plays for the Miami Dolphins. Not a fish fan but he is a great guy.

Here is his website www.jasontaylor99.com 

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
I was so happy to see my favorite radio host ADAM CAROLLA on this season.  He's so funny, I'm excited!

I love him to.  I hope he does well I'll be voting for him.   
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Dancing With The Stars Season Premiere On Monday March 17, 2008

Don't miss the return of Dancing with the Stars in a two-night premiere event that starts March 17!

Six teams will strut their stuff on Monday night, while the other six teams will show off their moves on TUESDAY, MARCH 18 (9:00-10:30 p.m., ET). All twelve couples will perform a second routine the following week on MONDAY, MARCH 24 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET), before the first elimination, TUESDAY, MARCH 25 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on Dancing with the Stars the Results Show, where for the first time in the show's history, two couples' fates will be determined in a dramatic double elimination.

Source: http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancingwiththestars/index?pn=index

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
Well at the last minute I was invited with the kids to the rodeo to sit in a friend's suite.  So I missed the show, were there any stand outs?  Did any one fall?

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »
Well it is a double elmination ... any ideas on who goes home?

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
Well at the last minute I was invited with the kids to the rodeo to sit in a friend's suite.  So I missed the show, were there any stand outs?  Did any one fall?

Well no one fell and it was a pretty good show.  Kristi Yamaguchi was really good and Monica Seles is really out of her comfort zone.  Poor Adam Corolla just can't seem to look comfortable Penn well he's just really big and looks pretty good for a man his size doing ballroom.  Anyways I think it might be Monica for the ladies and Adam for the men... 

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »
Monica.  She is waaaay out of her comfort zone more than any of them.  I don't think she is enjoying it at all.   Has anyone noticed she's pigeon-toed?  That hinders smooth & flowing footwork, which is really needed for a competition such as this.   

The men?  A toss-up between Steve Guttenberg or Adam.  Steve isn't really doing much but watching his partner and he's moving around like a little kid learning!  He seems to be mostly watching her to get the cues on what to do next.  There are no flowing motions. 
 Adam, similar to Steve.  They are both too animated, & not leading their partner.
The bigfoot Penn did better than either of these guys!  :snicker:

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »
Monica.  She is waaaay out of her comfort zone more than any of them.  I don't think she is enjoying it at all.   Has anyone noticed she's pigeon-toed?  That hinders smooth & flowing footwork, which is really needed for a competition such as this.   

The men?  A toss-up between Steve Guttenberg or Adam.  Steve isn't really doing much but watching his partner and he's moving around like a little kid learning!  He seems to be mostly watching her to get the cues on what to do next.  There are no flowing motions. 
 Adam, similar to Steve.  They are both too animated, & not leading their partner.
The bigfoot Penn did better than either of these guys!  :snicker:

Didn't really notice that she was pigeon-toed just not comfortable at all.  I don't really care for Steve for some reason he is just to darn thankful for being there and you are spot on on his dancing!!!  And poor Adam I listen to him as much as I can in the mornings and like him even from the Man Show but I think he has to improve quite a bit in order for him to stay around which is a shame because he, like Penn, have a great entertainment value (they make me laugh and I love to laugh!)  But what got my daughter to thinking was Marlee it just bothered her that she has a male interpreter she said she got confused when he speaks for her it should be a females voice so you can tell if it's Marlee or the dance instructer????  But then I said Marlee speaks fine and told her about the "Lip Reader" episode of Seinfeld and wondered why she didn't sign and just speak for herself she is very understandable???  Oh well she still dances great without hearing beats and the music itself. 

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Oh, I so agree about Marlee.  I have loved her in many movies when she's speaking and signing.  She is understandable even tho she can't speak with pure clarity.  But for the show, they need to use a female interpreter!  It bothers me seeing her mouth the words as if speaking in a male voice! 

Marlee should go far in DWTS.  Hope so! It is amazing that she can stay with the beat in spite of being deaf.  Wow!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
Did anyone else read this on TMZ yesterday?  I feel bad for Priscella:

...The phony doc who injected Priscilla Presley with industrial-grade silicone used to lubricate auto parts had a scam that proved irresistible to Hollywood's elite.

Someone who got injected by Daniel Serrano spoke with TMZ about getting lured in. Serrano, who was a doctor in Argentina but unlicensed in the U.S., told patients the serum, which he claimed would remove wrinkles, was much better than Botox -- an all-natural drug he said was used by all the top models in Paris. Serrano told his victims they could not get the drug in the U.S. The patient we spoke with said that made all the women go crazy, thinking they were getting something special, and they were -- a lube job.

Serrano was a major name dropper. We're not sure if he really injected all the women he claims, but trust us, there were a lot. The patient we spoke with says she was injected with a needle that was just sitting on a table, unprotected. He didn't clean the needle or clean her face before injecting it.

The injections were "extremely painful." Serrano said there would be no swelling. The patient we spoke with says she blew up like a balloon, and when the swelling finally went down, the drug didn't eliminate lines...

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
Well guessing one out of two isn't to bad.  I was sad to see Penn go he seemed pretty sad, too.   I was hoping it was Chrisian for no other reason except that I don't know who he is.  I was happy Adam stayed and hope he improves over the weeks to come.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 09:41:44 AM »
I did not see the show.  Marlee may have an interpitor because the dancing winds you.  Several times the dancers are out of breath and stumble over their words so she may have asked for someone to speak for her.  And the interpetor maybe some one she knows and uses at other events and that could be why it is a male and not a female. I am guessing here.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
I did not see the show.  Marlee may have an interpitor because the dancing winds you.  Several times the dancers are out of breath and stumble over their words so she may have asked for someone to speak for her.  And the interpetor maybe some one she knows and uses at other events and that could be why it is a male and not a female. I am guessing here.

Great guesses I thought the same thing with the interperter that he must be her personal guy and the dancing winds you makes sense.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »
Thanks Texan.  I don't know why it didn't occur to me about using the same person she uses at other events.  Sounds perfectly logical!  :tup: 

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 01:43:49 AM »
Enjoyed Dancing with the Stars tonite and thought they got Mario right on he really didn't do that good... Steve did good and so did Marlee she just amazes me on how she dances without music she is incredible.  For some reason I love Shannon and Derek their chemistry is just wonderful.   I love, love, love Julieanne so I want to her win yet again but I think poor Adam is a challenge for her  :neener:  Julieanne looked so different in her wig and Adam was pretty SEXY and I'm quoting Bruno here.  I want to like for Marissa but for some reason and I can't pinpoint it, it just comes out flat if she left I wouldn't be upset.  I think it may be the chemistry between her and Tony I'm just not feeling it, oh well.  Priscilla and Louis they did do a great job they have chemistry.  They did deserve the scores they got 26!!!!  I also like Jason, but Edyta bugs me maybe it's her sexy body and her incredible ability to show it off in the outfits she barely wears lol!!!  But they did a good job, yet again.  To me Kristi looks like a natural and maybe it's her skating background that gives her the edge she has but she is absolutely wonderful to watch.  And as a skater she is used to the 9's!!!!

So my picks are and only for tonights performances the ones to go should be Mario or Marissa. 

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
My favorite guy left last night and I think I was more upset watching Julieanne go  :'(  But then it seems things just might be heating up  :-[ between Shannon and Derek and I guess everyone on the show thinks so too  ;)

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
An update on Derek from E! News poor guy what will it be next week???

Dancing's Derek Houghs & Puffs to Hospital

By Gina Serpe  E!News
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:20:51 AM PDT

Derek Hough's hospital stays are getting to be a real pain in the neck. And stomach.

For the second consecutive week, the Dancing with the Stars pro was taken to the hospital just hours before a live show, this time around to deal with a sudden and particularly nasty bout of food poisoning.

While the 21-year-old Hough, who was taken to the hospital Monday morning, ultimately made it out in time to perform a less-than-judge-pleasing samba with partner Shannon Elizabeth, the situation was sufficiently hairy that fellow pro Jonathan Roberts was called in to the studio lest he needed to fill in for the ailing hoofer.

"It was just a freak thing," Hough told E! News after the show. "I woke up this morning and started throwing up constantly. I just drank a shake on an empty stomach and I think that didn't agree with my stomach. I was puking like 20 times."

"They wanted to keep me there longer and give me an IV and stuff, but I was like, 'I got to get to the show...I must dance with Shannon.'"

As it is, the brief hospital sojourn was nothing new for the dancer, who last Tuesday was carted off in an ambulance after spraining his neck while rehearsing with sister Julianne and fellow pro Mark Ballas for a results-show performance with Kylie Minogue.

In the end, Hough was released with a neck brace and cut out of the dance.

After last night's show, Hough said his ER trips would not be a weekly occurrence, least of all because the hospital staff is getting sick and tired of seeing him.

"They're like, 'Hey, you again!'" he said of his most recent admittance. "I'm like, 'Yep, me again.' We're done with that."

Elizabeth agreed, adding that if he were to hop another ambulance ride to the hospital, "nobody would believe it."

Miserable as the bout of food poisoning was, though, Hough managed to find one body-conscious bonus to the whole ordeal.

"I've gained four pounds these past couple weeks, and then today I lost it all...and then some. Now I'm back to my skinny self."

"I had to draw on my muscles today," he joked. "I had to draw them on."

Hough and Elizabeth are one of just eight couples remaining in the competition. One will be voted off tonight, when James Blunt takes the stage, and the remaining hot-steppers will perform their first group dance next week.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
I watched most of last night's show (it's getting down to the good teams so I am likely to become a regular). I was quite impressed by Kristi and Marlee. Priscilla was trying hard, but was out of synch. Jason was OK. Christian, who has Latin roots, clearly underperformed. Marissa did surprising well. It wasn't Derek who underperformed; it was Shannon. Mario was kind of blah and I would be very worried if I were him.

The winners last night were the rumba and the samba, highly technical dances according to the way the judges were viewing them and scoring them. Not enough shaking of the hips was a certain deduction that almost every team received.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
I watched most of last night's show (it's getting down to the good teams so I am likely to become a regular). I was quite impressed by Kristi and Marlee. Priscilla was trying hard, but was out of synch. Jason was OK. Christian, who has Latin roots, clearly underperformed. Marissa did surprising well. It wasn't Derek who underperformed; it was Shannon. Mario was kind of blah and I would be very worried if I were him.

The winners last night were the rumba and the samba, highly technical dances according to the way the judges were viewing them and scoring them. Not enough shaking of the hips was a certain deduction that almost every team received.

Priscilla last night was so boring I felt they were doing their dance in sssllllooowww motion.  Just seems it was a bad night for most (not all) of them.    :groan:

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 12:43:13 AM »
OMG my Directv DVR is so awful (I loved my TIVO) I went to watch the show after it was recorded and I had a white screen  :pull No show just a white screen!  With that said as I went on the internet the news on Yahoo was who was voted off!  So not too surprised but feel bad for the person.  Was it a good show??? :duno:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
I didn't appreciate that rosesrred's comment about Priscilla really meant that Priscilla was eliminated last night. I did see most of the actual performances, but missed the Results Show. The judges scoring was:

Kristi 29
Jason 27
Mario 27 he did much better than I thought he had
Marissa 24
Christian 23
Marlee 22
Priscilla 21

The bottom two factoring in audience votes were apparently Priscilla and Christian. Priscilla got the axe.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »
I didn't appreciate that rosesrred's comment about Priscilla really meant that Priscilla was eliminated last night. I did see most of the actual performances, but missed the Results Show. The judges scoring was:

Kristi 29
Jason 27
Mario 27 he did much better than I thought he had
Marissa 24
Christian 23
Marlee 22
Priscilla 21

The bottom two factoring in audience votes were apparently Priscilla and Christian. Priscilla got the axe.

Gosh apskip neither did I  :'(  who knew my comment early yesterday would come true.  I'm just so darn mad that the stupid DVR didn't record for me.  I wonder if I hadn't made that "slow" comment if it would have been different  :pull

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »
Tonight's show finished with an unjudged group country western dance format. It  was pitiful to watch, reminding me of the worst excesses that I hear about on American Idol(which I don't watch).

The scores of the contestants earlier in the show, when they were judged on a dance of their choice that they had not previously performed, were:

Kristi & Mark: 30
Mario & Karina: 28
Cristian & Cheryl: 27(the judges were way too generous for this mediocre routine)
Marissa & Tony: 26
Jason & Edyta: 24
Shannon & Derek: 24
Marlee & Fabian: 21

It looks like bye-bye Marlee after the Results show.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:32:05 AM by apskip »

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »
Poor Marley!  I really felt for her.  Last week and this week were the first times when I could really tell she couldn't hear the music.  Her previous dances, if I didn't know, I would never have been able to tell.

I'm so happy to see Kristi continue to do well, but I keep waiting for Sabrina syndrome to strike her.  She SOOO deserves final 2 right now!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
Poor Marley!  I really felt for her.  Last week and this week were the first times when I could really tell she couldn't hear the music.  Her previous dances, if I didn't know, I would never have been able to tell.

I'm so happy to see Kristi continue to do well, but I keep waiting for Sabrina syndrome to strike her.  She SOOO deserves final 2 right now!

:pull I didn't get last nights episode I'm so sad  :'( I love Kristi too but I do feel she has an advantage over the others because of her ice skate dancing she has to know how to hold her body, arms, hands, legs, feet, etc in order to impress the judges on the ice so she does have that advantage over the other dancers but she is amazing. 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
It looks like a Final 2 of Kristi vs. Mario based on what we've soon thus far this season. In season 5, the unusual popularity of Marie Osmond, undeserved based on her dancing performance, got her into the Final 3 when Sabrina Bryan had a much better dancing performance claim to it. That shouldn't happen again because there is no other super-popular celebrity to steal it from anybody else. I see the thrid spot as a battle between Jason and Christian. Shannon and Marissa just aren't going to make it that far even though they are both spunky, positive types.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »

:pull I didn't get last nights episode I'm so sad  :'(  I love Kristi too but I do feel she has an advantage over the others because of her ice skate dancing she has to know how to hold her body, arms, hands, legs, feet, etc in order to impress the judges on the ice so she does have that advantage over the other dancers but she is amazing. 
I didn't see the results show either, but am very sad :'( for Marlee.  She tried so hard! Considering not hearing the music, she did purdy dang good!  :tup: Kudos to her for her efforts, and truly putting her heart and soul into it.  :jam:

I love Kristi equally as both a dancer and skater, but I'm afraid the "Sabrina syndrome" will hit her....UNLESS she has a really HUGE fan base.   

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
OK, I hope everyone voted!  Kristy could be in trouble!!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:01 AM »
I missed most of the show.  What happened with Kristi?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 01:59:13 AM »
she got 26 for her Viennese Waltz and 28 for her Cha Cha Cha

scores:

Jason/Edyta = 29,26 = 55
Kristi/Mark = 26,28 = 54
Marissa/Tony = 27,25 = 52
Shannon/Derek = 27,24 = 51
Mario/Karina = 24,27 = 51
Cristian/Cheryl = 25,21 = 46

I think Cristian should go home but you never know, he is the worst dancer left now that Marissa has improved!!

I think based on Dancing Ability (LOL)

1st - Kristi/Mark
2nd - Jason/Edyta
3rd - Mario/Karina
4th - Shannon/Derek or Marissa/Tony
5th - Shannon/Derek or Marissa/Tony
6th - Cristian/Cheryl
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:40 AM »
I hope Marissa keeps improving & moves to the top.  She's such a  cutie chubby...so bubbley and puts her whole heart into her dancing.  Others also do that, but I'd just like to see a non-traditional person...IOW...a short n' CHUBBY gal win!!  :tup:  :wohoo: 

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »
 :ty3: for the Update, Kiwi Jay!

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 03:16:17 AM »
Ok, im a newbie here so bear with me. Im cheering for Jason ;) Tomboy = Football

I do agree that Kristi has had the advantage, she said that wasn't true because that floor is different than her ice skating rink but as someone pointed out she has the upper body moves for one and the 'graceful' thing going on. My sister always picked on Emmit because football players sometime take dance, but sticks up for Kristi.

Anyways my real reason that im here, is there a link to vote?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:24 AM »
There is a separate poll thread on this "Other Reality TV Shows and News" group. However, if you mean voting for real then you have to go to www.abc.com and look for Dancing with the Stars.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »
I do agree that Kristi has had the advantage, she said that wasn't true because that floor is different than her ice skating rink but as someone pointed out she has the upper body moves for one and the 'graceful' thing going on. My sister always picked on Emmit because football players sometime take dance, but sticks up for Kristi.

I absolutely adore Kristi and really want to see her win this (partly because we haven't had a female winner since season1!!!!), but I will concede the point that she does have a bit of an advantage because of her figure skating.  She has beautiful upper body lines, she's used to learning choreography, and working under pressure is nothing new to her.  On the other hand, the skating can also be a liability. 

First, she was never a pairs skater so she's used to working by herself.  If you've ever watched So You Think You Can Dance, they stress on that show how partner work takes time to learn to do well.  I think Kristi has done an outstanding job of partnering with Mark. 

The feet can be a real challenge for her too, because in figure skating, there's no such thing as a pointed toe.  You can't point with those boots on.   And she's also used to working flat footed, keeping her weight toward the center/back of the boot so that she doesn't trip on the toe pick (remember the movie Cutting Edge??  Toe Pick!  :funny:).  In ballroom dancing, flat feet and heel leads are a big no-no.

Finally, in figure skating, her turned in feet (she was born with club foot) aren't such a liability.  The skate blades almost automatically correct her foot position which is one of the reasons she started when she was small.  In ballroom dancing, she often has to turn feet out to be in the correct position and there's no blade to hold her foot the right way. 

So yes, she does have alot of things going for her, but she also has a number of challenges to overcome.

I know she was only in 2nd place last night, but I just don't want one bad week to boot her off the show!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »

I absolutely adore Kristi and really want to see her win this (partly because we haven't had a female winner since season1!!!!), but I will concede the point that she does have a bit of an advantage because of her figure skating.  She has beautiful upper body lines, she's used to learning choreography, and working under pressure is nothing new to her.  On the other hand, the skating can also be a liability. 

First, she was never a pairs skater so she's used to working by herself.  If you've ever watched So You Think You Can Dance, they stress on that show how partner work takes time to learn to do well.  I think Kristi has done an outstanding job of partnering with Mark. 

The feet can be a real challenge for her too, because in figure skating, there's no such thing as a pointed toe.  You can't point with those boots on.   And she's also used to working flat footed, keeping her weight toward the center/back of the boot so that she doesn't trip on the toe pick (remember the movie Cutting Edge??  Toe Pick!  :funny:).  In ballroom dancing, flat feet and heel leads are a big no-no.

Finally, in figure skating, her turned in feet (she was born with club foot) aren't such a liability.  The skate blades almost automatically correct her foot position which is one of the reasons she started when she was small.  In ballroom dancing, she often has to turn feet out to be in the correct position and there's no blade to hold her foot the right way. 

So yes, she does have alot of things going for her, but she also has a number of challenges to overcome.

I know she was only in 2nd place last night, but I just don't want one bad week to boot her off the show!

I somewhat agree with you because I love Kristi, too but people that have zero training in dancing like some still left, have to work much harder and every new dance is much more of a challenge for them.  They need to remember how to hold their arms, legs, feet, etc on a daily basis and for Kristi well that is a second nature thing to her because she does choreography and dance moves on a daily basis.  She has to dance beautifully on the ice and she has proved she can do that with a gold medal. 

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
I somewhat agree with you because I love Kristi, too but people that have zero training in dancing like some still left, have to work much harder and every new dance is much more of a challenge for them.  They need to remember how to hold their arms, legs, feet, etc on a daily basis and for Kristi well that is a second nature thing to her because she does choreography and dance moves on a daily basis.  She has to dance beautifully on the ice and she has proved she can do that with a gold medal. 

As I think more about it, I think where the figure skating give Kristi a definate advantage is in the carriage of her body.  She's used to having to be pulled up, head in specific positions, posture perfect, etc.  There have been several celebs with previous dance training in one form or another (Mel B, Sabrina, Mario, Marissa, to name just a few), but it's the fact the Kristi's training is closest matched to the style of ballroom.  Does that make sense?

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 03:44:12 PM »

As I think more about it, I think where the figure skating give Kristi a definate advantage is in the carriage of her body.  She's used to having to be pulled up, head in specific positions, posture perfect, etc.  There have been several celebs with previous dance training in one form or another (Mel B, Sabrina, Mario, Marissa, to name just a few), but it's the fact the Kristi's training is closest matched to the style of ballroom.  Does that make sense?

Oh yes perfect sense and I actually felt the same way about the ones you mention above they have had some training in dance in some way or another and that gives them somewhat of an unfair advantage.  And if Kristy, Mario or Marissa wins that's ok but if someone wins with no prior dancing experience well I'm happier for them because I feel they really accomplished something  ??? 

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
I just want a woman to finally win this season!  And it looks like Kristy may be our best hope!  It's sure not going to be Shannon!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
Well Vanillalatte according to TMZ it might be 2 going tonight (maybe both males? who knows I guess we can only hope  :lol:)

WILL CRISTIAN BE THE ONLY ONE TO GO?

Sources tell TMZ that if Cristian de la Fuente can't continue on "Dancing With the Stars," he might not be the only person to leave the show tonight.

We're hearing there is still no sign of him on the set today and that surgery is "likely." If Cristian withdraws from the show, they still might give the boot to whoever got the lowest vote total -- if it isn't Cristian.

So it's quite possible "DWTS" could send two people packing tonight

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:39 PM »
Cristian can carry on dancing, Shannon goes home, MARISSA IN THE BOTTOM 2
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »
As bad as I feel for Shannon, I have to agree with her going.  She just wasn't improving at the same rate as the other competitors.  I made my hubby watch Monday's dance performances with me and he couldn't see what the judges were talking about when they said she had alot of hip action.  She did in the obvious spots where all she had to do was stand and "shake it", but otherwise she was very stiff throughout her Latin dance.  Ballroom is more her strength, but she still doesn't quite know what to do with her long limbs.  Remember Stacey Keebler?  Same type of body, incredibly long limbs, but Stacey knew how to extend her legs, hold her arms, finish her positions, etc.  That's something Shannon never quite got the hang of.  I'm sorry to see her go, but it looks like she got her reward....Derrick!   :flirt:

(Ya had to know that Christian would get enough sympathy votes to stay!)

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

Although I wanted to see her and Derek continue dancing I do believe they did get it right in sending Shannon home she seemed uncomfortable when she danced and the improvement just wasn't going to be there for her!  Darn. 

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
Hmmmm...interesting night on DWTS.  None of the stars got very good comments on their Latin dances except Christain.  I did agree that Cheryl did an outstanding job of choreographing around his injury, but I still felt like his scores were slightly inflated.  The Latin dance was good but 29?  Nah...

Tonight, I'll actually be splitting my votes for Kristi and Marissa.  I don't usually like to split my votes, but I really want Marissa to stay. 

I know this is going to come across as riteous and a tad silly, but I was a really put off by Jason's costume in the second dance...those were rosary beads around his neck and I was taught growing up (in a STRICT Catholic family) that wearing a rosary like a necklace was incredibly disrespectful.  We were never EVER allowed to let the cross dangle in any way.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 11:43:39 AM »
Hmmmm...interesting night on DWTS.  None of the stars got very good comments on their Latin dances except Christain.  I did agree that Cheryl did an outstanding job of choreographing around his injury, but I still felt like his scores were slightly inflated.  The Latin dance was good but 29?  Nah...

Tonight, I'll actually be splitting my votes for Kristi and Marissa.  I don't usually like to split my votes, but I really want Marissa to stay. 

I know this is going to come across as riteous and a tad silly, but I was a really put off by Jason's costume in the second dance...those were rosary beads around his neck and I was taught growing up (in a STRICT Catholic family) that wearing a rosary like a necklace was incredibly disrespectful.  We were never EVER allowed to let the cross dangle in any way.

I agree vanillalatte anyone could go home this week, but Christain was given mercy votes and I think with his injury he should go home but for some reason I don't think that's happening.  My picks to stay for sure are Jason and Marissa.  Out of all of them Jason is the one that came completely out of his element with absolutely no dancing experience and is showing quite a bit of improvement so he should go all the way.  Christain has no dancing experience either but he is injured.   Out of the others I think Marissa should go all the way with Jason and they should be the final two. 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
Well, my first thought was "you've got to be kidding", rosesrred in your preference for Marissa and Tony and your obvious disdain for the better dancing of Kristi and Mark. However, I guess you can use other factors than pure dancing ability in a dancing ability contest! Let's bring back Marie Osmond!!! Where is she when you need her? Here are the actual scores of each couple, with Cristian and Cheryl surprising in the lead last night and certain to do well with the sympathy vote from the fans even if they were not:

Kristi and Mark 29 Quickstep 26 Samba    55 total
Mario and Karina 27 Waltz 26 Jive            53 total
Marissa and Tony 25 Foxtrot 25 Mambo    50 total Note that this is 10% below Kristi and Mark
Jason and Edyta 29 Tango 23 Samba       52 total
Cristian and Cheryl 29 Foxtrot 28 Mambo 57 total Congratulations for what had to be an extremely gritty perofrmance, with more of that to could from them since Cristian must keep his arm stiff

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
I am bad and give all my votes to Cheryl every week.  :-[  I  :hrt: Cheryl. I am looking forward to the top 10 judge favorites tonight.  she's sure to be in at least one if not more.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
Well, my first thought was "you've got to be kidding", rosesrred in your preference for Marissa and Tony and your obvious disdain for the better dancing of Kristi and Mark. However, I guess you can use other factors than pure dancing ability in a dancing ability contest! Let's bring back Marie Osmond!!! Where is she when you need her? Here are the actual scores of each couple, with Cristian and Cheryl surprising in the lead last night and certain to do well with the sympathy vote from the fans even if they were not:

Kristi and Mark 29 Quickstep 26 Samba    55 total
Mario and Karina 27 Waltz 26 Jive            53 total
Marissa and Tony 25 Foxtrot 25 Mambo    50 total Note that this is 10% below Kristi and Mark
Jason and Edyta 29 Tango 23 Samba       52 total
Cristian and Cheryl 29 Foxtrot 28 Mambo 57 total Congratulations for what had to be an extremely gritty perofrmance, with more of that to could from them since Cristian must keep his arm stiff

Oh apskip I don't have disdain for Kristi at all I think she is a great dancer - I just think she has a huge advantage over everyone else because she has had quite a bit of dancing knowledge for one she can stay on point when she does her turns, how to keep her hands, body and moves that most of the other dancers are learning for the first time.  She has done this for years upon years you don't gold medal in ice dancing without that.  She has just moved it to the dance floor rather than ice.  Marissa or Jason may go home tonight I just feel they should stay (mainly Jason) because he started from square one and has really improved.  That's all I love Kristi  :-*

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
I am bad and give all my votes to Cheryl every week.  :-[  I  :hrt: Cheryl. I am looking forward to the top 10 judge favorites tonight.  she's sure to be in at least one if not more.

My favorite is Julianne Hough I just love her she is not only cute, but her choreography is flawless and our 2 girls (Cheryl and Julianne) have won the most if I'm not mistaken.  But I'm liking Derek on the mens side his dancing and choreography are great too!  My least favorite is Edyta (sorry any Edyta lovers) I just feel when it comes to costumes every week her one demand is use as little material as possible and the top can be a bra that's all - very little material and a bra.  :lol:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:00:07 PM by rosesrred »

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »

Oh apskip I don't have disdain for Kristi at all I think she is a great dancer - I just think she has a huge advantage over everyone else because she has had quite a bit of dancing knowledge for one she can stay on point when she does her turns, how to keep her hands, body and moves that most of the other dancers are learning for the first time.  She has done this for years upon years you don't gold medal in ice dancing without that.  She has just moved it to the dance floor rather than ice.  Marissa or Jason may go home tonight I just feel they should stay (mainly Jason) because he started from square one and has really improved.  That's all I love Kristi  :-*

OK, since figure skating is another passion of mine, I have to make one quick correction....Kristi was a singles figure skater.  Ice dancing is something completely different, but yes, the point of ice DANCING is to translate ballroom dances onto the ice.  Kristi was a figure skater, different thing altogether.  :) :) :)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »
Well, the public has spoken! Mario and Karina, with the middle score out of 5, get eliminated. Popularity wins out over dancing once again. Marissa and Tony and Jason and Edyta get the opportunity to continue. Based on prior week performance, that is deserved for Jason, but not for Marissa. She should have gotten the boot this week. I hope we are not heading for a Marie Osmond replay!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »

OK, since figure skating is another passion of mine, I have to make one quick correction....Kristi was a singles figure skater.  Ice dancing is something completely different, but yes, the point of ice DANCING is to translate ballroom dances onto the ice.  Kristi was a figure skater, different thing altogether.  :) :) :)

I think you know what I meant by ice dancing I know Kristi is a figure skater (she doesn't use a partner on the ice but she did in the beginning of her career)  but her moves are artistic and they are definetly choreographed even though she has required jumps, spins, etc in her routines.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:31:56 PM by rosesrred »

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
  I think you know what I meant by ice dancing I know Kristi is a figure skater (she doesn't use a partner on the ice but she did in the beginning of her career)  but her moves are artistic and they are definetly choreographed even though she has required jumps, spins, etc in her routines.

Of course I knew what you meant, roses!   :hugs:  Just couldn't resist the opportunity to share the wonderful world of figure skating with you all!  :-* :-[

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Well, the public has spoken! Mario and Karina, with the middle score out of 5, get eliminated. Popularity wins out over dancing once again. Marissa and Tony and Jason and Edyta get the opportunity to continue. Based on prior week performance, that is deserved for Jason, but not for Marissa. She should have gotten the boot this week. I hope we are not heading for a Marie Osmond replay!

:funny: Your so funny apskip.

I'm with you on that one. As adorable and bubbly as she is Marissa doesn't do a thing for me when I watch her dance.

I find although she can certainly dance with great spirit and enthusiasm she must be able to win for the overall criteria of the competition.

My fav to win this season is Kristi.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »
I want Kristi to win, too, because she's just so stunning on the dance floor!  But, I also want Marissa to make it all the way to the end.  She works SOOOO hard, has improved SOOOO much and she's just incredibly appreciative of the whole experience.  I can't help but have fun watching her.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 12:51:34 AM »

I think it's about now that the judges tone down their antics and stop being so lenient with their scores.

I mean we are down to the final 4 and with the final 3 fast approaching we should be left with the best of talent in this season.

So we might be in for some serious critiquing and real scores.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:58:30 AM by ca bb fan »

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2008, 02:02:59 AM »
I want Kristi to win, too, because she's just so stunning on the dance floor!  But, I also want Marissa to make it all the way to the end.  She works SOOOO hard, has improved SOOOO much and she's just incredibly appreciative of the whole experience.  I can't help but have fun watching her.
:ythat: LOL! Gooo Marissa!  Her dancing isn't stunning like Kristi's of course, but she doesn't have the experience that Kristi has.  Considering that, Marissa's plump bod & short legs are doing purty dang great!!  Wow, I give her a lot of credit for how she moves her bod around--with finesse, on the beat, graceful, stylish, with exuberance and enthusiasm!  :tup: :tup: :tup:

Marissa Gal, keep rockin that short chubby cutie bod with all your heart and soul!
 Hey, YOU just might win!  :yess: 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
As an overachiever, there is no question that Marissa is spectacular and has no peer.

As a dancer, there is no question in my mind that Kristi has outperformed everyone else and she is my favorite too.

As the other star likely to make the Final 3 I think it will be Jason for his solid performances earlier in the competition.

As the odd man out not making the Final 3, I expect that will be Cristian(despite the fact that he has 2-time winner Cheryl Burke as his partner)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
As an overachiever, there is no question that Marissa is spectacular and has no peer.

As a dancer, there is no question in my mind that Kristi has outperformed everyone else and she is my favorite too.

As the other star likely to make the Final 3 I think it will be Jason for his solid performances earlier in the competition.

As the odd man out not making the Final 3, I expect that will be Cristian(despite the fact that he has 2-time winner Cheryl Burke as his partner)

:lol:  Why does this not surprise me  :hfive:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
Here are the dances and scores for tonight's semifinal round:

Jason and Edyta    Foxtrot 28  Paso Doble 27   Total 55

Marissa and Tony  Quickstep 26  Rumba  26   Total 52

Cristian and Cheryl  Viennese Waltz 27  Samba 29   Total 56

Christi and Mark   Tango 29  Jive 28   Total 57

Some comments:
It's finally time to say bye-bye to Marissa and Tony. Marissa does not have that many fans that she can overcome clearly superior competition.
Why did Christi and Mark do the Latin tango first when the Latin round was second?  This puzzles me.
How can the judges rationalize having given Christi adn Mark all 10s for the Jive earlier, seeing them dance quite a bit more brilliantly and effectively this time, and have Carrie Ann and Len give them 9s? It makes no sense to me.
It's going to be close between the top 3 teams in the finals, assuming that I am correct in predicting that they will be the Final 3.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
Go Jason ;)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »

I thought the judges where off in their scores as well. To receive a 9 the dance requires a near perfect execution so I really thought they were generous at times.

My one problem was when Len gave an excuse for Marissa’s Rumba stating that the dance itself does not have a wow factor. I disagree. The Rumba is a beautiful sensual slow moving dance performed correctly can leave a person wowed. I felt Marissa had the sexiness down pat but lost me in the dance. I agree with Carrie Ann’s remark on the Quickstep but I felt that way all along is that Marissa’s dance performances do nothing for me.

I only hope it’s time to say bye-bye to Marissa. Her over the top enthusiasm has worn thin with me.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I have to agree that it looks like poor Marissa is going home tonight.  I wanted her to make the final so badly just because she's so darned much fun to watch.  I love her enthusiasm and joy on the floor.  I know she won't win, but I just wanted her to make it all the way to the end.

One the other hand, am I the only one who feels like Jason Taylor is really being over-scored???  (Sorry Mama! I know he's your fav!) I mean, I agree that, for a big guy, he really dances well, but if we saw the same quality of carriage, arm placement and flat-footedness from a shorter guy, the judges would blast him.  I just don't get it.   

As far as Christian, I though his second dance was definitely better than the first. In the waltz, I really felt him protecting the arm.  The choreography didn't mask the injury as well as last week.  The samba was fun, and much better as far as choreographing around the injury. 

To me, it seems like the judges are being intentionally harsh on Kristi and easy on Jason and Christian.  Seems to me, none of the judges want Kristi to win, and they will pick any little detail to mark her down on. 

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
I'm so happy Marissa and Tony are finally eliminated!

Next week is the grand finale!!!!

Kristi/Mark

Jason/Edyta

Cristian/Cheryl

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »

Kristi/Mark

Jason/Edyta

Cristian/Cheryl

I have to agree with you on that one Marissa needed to go.  I only hope that Jason wins Football star (no dancing experience) to ballroom dancer now that is an accomplishment that needs to be rewarded!  Love Kristi but Ice Skater (with dancing experience) to ballroom dancer that's great but not an accomplishment.  But I do think she will win  :duno:

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »

Kristi/Mark

Jason/Edyta

Cristian/Cheryl

I have to agree with you on that one Marissa needed to go.  I only hope that Jason wins Football star (no dancing experience) to ballroom dancer now that is an accomplishment that needs to be rewarded!  Love Kristi but Ice Skater (with dancing experience) to ballroom dancer that's great but not an accomplishment.  But I do think she will win  :duno:

I really want Kristi to win, I have from the beginning.  I think it was Len who made the point last night that although everyone says Kristi came in with the advantage, that's really not the case because since she was able to move well from the beginning, her degree of difficulty has been much higher than the other stars.  The dancers are judged based on how they perform the dance they are given so Kristi doesn't receive a bonus for more difficult dances.  I never really thought of it that way.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
Unfortunately, I have to agree that it looks like poor Marissa is going home tonight.  I wanted her to make the final so badly just because she's so darned much fun to watch.  I love her enthusiasm and joy on the floor.  I know she won't win, but I just wanted her to make it all the way to the end.

One the other hand, am I the only one who feels like Jason Taylor is really being over-scored???  (Sorry Mama! I know he's your fav!) I mean, I agree that, for a big guy, he really dances well, but if we saw the same quality of carriage, arm placement and flat-footedness from a shorter guy, the judges would blast him.  I just don't get it.   

As far as Christian, I though his second dance was definitely better than the first. In the waltz, I really felt him protecting the arm.  The choreography didn't mask the injury as well as last week.  The samba was fun, and much better as far as choreographing around the injury. 

To me, it seems like the judges are being intentionally harsh on Kristi and easy on Jason and Christian.  Seems to me, none of the judges want Kristi to win, and they will pick any little detail to mark her down on. 

i agree with ya! i think jason is way over scored...IMO! yes he has done a ok [good job at learning BUT not 9's and 10's JMO! Kristi is not a ballroom dancer, just because she has great movement cuz she is a skater.. doesnt mean she shouldnt win! she has had to learn these dances, just b/cuz she has great movement doesnt mean she is a ballroom dancer, she has had to learn just like the rest have.....look at almost all the winners in the past, [they all have some movement i.e can atlease move thier hips, go to a club and just dance, that doesnt mean they are ballroom dancers just mean maybe they can pick it up faster and better... GO KRISTI!!!!!!!!!! i vote for her and only her. i hope she wins!
A Day Without Sunshine, Is..Well...Night.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

Marissa girl had to go, I'm glad she had fun.

I can't wait for next weeks finale  :wohoo:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
.... an interview with Kristi

Kristi Yamaguchi goes up against the boys this week on Dancing with the Stars' sixth season finale as she faces off against NFL star Jason Taylor and Latino actor Cristián de la Fuente. In what promises to be a fantastic night of cha cha chas and freestyle dances, Kristi and her partner Mark Ballas could be the ones to end the mens' streak — there hasn't been a female winner since Season 1's Kelly Monaco. But this Olympic gold medalist says she's too busy having fun to think about that.

TV Guide.com: You've been a favorite from the start, and it's been a while since a woman has won Dancing with the Stars. Are you feeling any extra pressure?
Kristi Yamaguchi: No, I'm not looking at it as extra pressure. I think there's been pressure throughout the competition. I'm really proud and thankful for the fans who have voted us all the way through. At this point, I just want to dance my heart out and do all I can and hopefully have a good time.

TV Guide.com: You'll be going up Cheryl and Edyta. One of them is the two-time champion and the other is a show veteran.  What tricks are you and Mark planning to pull out for your freestyle?
Kristi: We've definitely got tricks up our sleeve. We've been working really hard and I think we've got some good surprises in store.

TV Guide.com: If you make it to the final two, who would you like to go up against?
Yamaguchi: Both Cristián and Jason bring something different, so I think both will be equally difficult competitors.

TV Guide.com: Is your partner Mark really as nice as he seems?
Yamaguchi: Mark is really patient, and he's an amazing teacher. He's obviously a very talented and innovative choreographer, and we work really, really well together. I'm used to being in the mode of the student, and I don't mind letting him take the lead. It's been a blast, so I think it works out well with this relationship.

TV Guide.com: You guys seem to have a really nice rapport. I hear that Mark and your husband (NHL star Bret Hedican) have started playing music together.
Yamaguchi: My husband is a self-taught musician and does it as a hobby. Mark is actually a real musician and has a band of his own. They have a lot in common, and they enjoy talking and playing music together.

TV Guide.com: How do you manage your time between training, family and your other commitments?
Yamaguchi: It's been tough. Dancing with the Stars has really consumed my life at this point. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the support of my husband, who has been here with me the whole time. It's rotated throughout the weeks with different people helping out. I definitely wouldn't be able to do this show without all the extra help.

TV Guide.com: Were you hesitant to come on the show?
Yamaguchi: They extended the invitation, and I met with them and got the lowdown on what to expect. I took a couple weeks to make the decision and work out the logistics. Part of me really wanted to do it because I love the show. The thought of learning how to dance intrigued me, but at the same time I was like, "Do I really want to be nervous every Monday and Tuesday night and put myself out there on live television?" It's a scary, scary thing.

TV Guide.com: What's the best advice Mark has given you?
Yamaguchi: The best thing he's done is just prepare me for every Monday. We work really hard — we spend six to eight hours in the studio a day. Were adding on hours now because this week we have three dances to get ready. It's really non-stop. He has been good at knowing how to push me and how far to push me.

TV Guide.com: What advice do you have for next year's dancers?
Yamaguchi: I wanted to do it because it always looked like everyone was having so much fun.  Don't stress out. It's not the Olympics. It's not your career on the line. This is fun. If you're enjoying it, the audience is going to enjoy it.

TV Guide.com: What's been your favorite dance?
Yamaguchi: That's a tough one. I really loved all of them. I would say our tango this week was one I enjoyed doing, and our first jive was fun too.

TV Guide.com: Which dance has been the hardest for you?
Yamaguchi: Definitely the samba. I think we danced it well, but we got our toughest criticism on that dance. It just showed me how technically difficult it is to get the correct motions of the samba.

TV Guide.com: Is it weird to be ballroom dancing to music that you're used to hearing on the radio?
Yamaguchi: A little bit. I think it's a way to keep the show interesting and current because otherwise it would be boring ballroom music that no one knows. It's nice to modernize it and keep the audience entertained.

TV Guide.com: Will you keep on dancing?
Yamaguchi: I think so. Obviously not to this extent, but I think socially it would be fun to do.

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/news

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
... an interesting article:

Julianne Hough rooting for Kristi to win

Julianne Hough knows a thing or two about how to win the mirror ball trophy, and she thinks Kristi Yamaguchi has put together a recipe for success when it comes to Dancing with the Stars' sixth-season title.

"I'm really rooting for Kristi Yamaguchi," Hough told Entertainment Tonight in an interview released Monday.  "I think she's phenomenal and that she deserves to win.  She just has the most consistency throughout the whole show."

Yamaguchi and her professional partner Mark Ballas are one of Dancing with the Stars' final three sixth-season couples going into tonight's final performance episode -- in which she'll be the only remaining female celebrity participant competing against NFL star Jason Taylor and his partner Edyta Sliwinska and telenovela star Cristian de la Fuente and his partner Cheryl Burke.

"Since no Houghs are on the season anymore, I think we'll put it on Kristi and Mark," Hough told Entertainment Tonight, as she was ousted from the competition with partner Adam Carolla during the fourth week, while her brother Derek and his partner Shannon Elizabeth were booted in Week 7.

Hough had won Dancing with the Stars' previous two installments -- capturing the fourth-season title with Apolo Anton Ohno and the fifth-season crown with Helio Castroneves.  Now that she's no longer dancing on the show, she said she's enjoyed it as a spectator.

"I try to watch as much as I can.  Being an outsider now -- watching as a fan -- it's kind of cool," she told Entertainment Tonight.  "You get to get angry at [judges Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli].  It's kind of fun because you're not there anymore and you can get mad."

Hough has also been busy promoting her self-titled debut album, which will be released tomorrow.

"I'm so excited.  I can't wait for everybody to hear it," she told Entertainment Tonight.  "Everybody knows me as a dancer and doesn't really know that I've gone through so many experiences in my life, even though I'm 19.  So with those experiences come great songs -- and passion and emotion through the songs.  It's going to be a whole new side that people get to see of me." 

While it's only been a few weeks since she stopped dancing, Hough has apparently already become smitten with her latest endeavor.

"Singing is my No. 1 passion," she told Entertainment Tonight.  "I couldn't be happier that I'm here doing it."

Source: http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/julianne-hough-rooting-for-kristi-yamaguchi-win-dancing-with-stars-7128.php

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
It's all over but the voting. Kristi and Mark received two perfect scores for a total of 60. Cristian and Cheryl got a 26/26 for 52 total. Jason and Edyta got 24/27 for a total of 51. I call that a blowout. I expected a lot of differentiation between Kristi/Mark and the other 2 teams because the judges have to play it straight in the finals and cannot overscore Jason or Cristian when it would grossly distort the outcome. If Kristi and Mark do not win this, there is no justice.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:21 PM »
... an interesting article:

Julianne Hough rooting for Kristi to win

Well with that said ca bb I change mind and have to go for who Julianne says only because I love her to death!
 :lol:  Can't help it I do she is so darn cute so I go for whom ever she wants! Shes my favorite.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »
I go for what my eyes tell me is the best dancing. Kristi and Mark had 2 dazzling routines with excellent synchronization and footwork. The only thing I did not like about their routine was Mark's flip. It was perfectly performed, but why use tricks when the level of dancing they have is so high? Jason/Edyta and Cristian/Cheryl appeared to use even more tricks. It's not dancing in my opinion. It's just pandering to the audience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:00:59 PM by apskip »

Offline cinni

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »
If Kristi and Mark do not win this, there is no justice.

unfortunately, the voting public's vote could swing the winner to one of the guys. By the scoring, Kristi has 36.81, Christian 31.9 and Jason 31.29 as their judges share of the scoring. a big vote for either of the guys could swing it back to one of them.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but from the ABC webpage:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancingwiththestars/index?pn=aboutthevote
THE PROCEDURE FOR ELIMINATING COUPLES:
Each week every couple receives points from the judges and votes from the public. For every couple we work out the share they got of the points given by the judges on the night, and the share they got of the public's votes on the night and we add these two shares together. The couple with the lowest combined total is eliminated from the show.

For example if couple A, B and C receive 38, 26 and 14 points from the judges, we calculate what share these points represent of the total awarded by the judges on the night. In this case the judges gave 78 points in total, and each couples' share of 78 points breaks down as follows: 38= 48.72% of 78, 26= 33.33% of 78, 14= 17.95% of 78. Let's suppose that when the public votes are tallied, each couple has the following shares: A= 20%, B=40%, C=40%. To determine who's eliminated we combine these two shares for the total:

Couple A: 20+48.72%= 68.72%
Couple B: 40+33.33%= 73.33%
Couple C: 40+17.95%= 57.95%

In this case, the bottom two couples would be A and C, and C would be eliminated.

always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »

As much as the men are pretty to look at they certainly haven't achieved the same level of skill and technique as Kristi

The men are lucky to have been coupled up with great professional dancers like Cheryl and Edyta to mask their incapability

The performance last night given by Kristi was one of a champ. It was superb and a pleasure to watch.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
I will announce the final standings:

Winner - Kristi Yamaguchi/MarkBallas

2nd Place - Jason Taylor/Edyta Sliwinski

3rd Place - Cristian de la Funte/Cheryl Burke

We knew the judges had it right and expected that the public would too. They did. Jason and Ciristian were close going in to the Finale but they switched places as a result of the popular vote.

I have to say now what I should have said one day earlier. I found the visit of  Julianne Hough(last year's winner), to show Kristi how to improve lifts and to flip Mark, to be delightful.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Thank you all for the wonderful updates my daughter and I sat down to watch the show this morning got a 1/2 hour into it and then we had a beautiful black screen and no show  (:;) :pull (:;) :pull oh well a season of watching and no finale  :'(  and yes I am on the phone YET AGAIN with Directv!!!

Offline cinni

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »
try the link at ABC. They don't work for me but if you're in the USA, should for you. The finale is posted.

http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »
Thank you all for the wonderful updates my daughter and I sat down to watch the show this morning got a 1/2 hour into it and then we had a beautiful black screen and no show  (:;) :pull (:;) :pull oh well a season of watching and no finale  :'(  and yes I am on the phone YET AGAIN with Directv!!!

:ascared Oh no again wow roses I would hate to be the customer service agent that receives your call  :lol:

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
Oh roses!!  That just flat out sucks!  So all you got was part of the season recap which was total fast forward material. 

I'm so happy for Kristi!  I was so afraid Jason was going to win after Christian was eliminated prior to the final dance. 

YAY KRISTI!!!!