Author Topic: Autism Group Demands Apology From CBS  (Read 11886 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Autism Group Demands Apology From CBS
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »
Autism Group Demands Apology From CBS
National Autism Group Demands That CBS Apologize For Remark By Contestant On 'Big Brother'

NEW YORK, Feb. 18, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A national autism advocacy group is demanding an apology from CBS over a disparaging remark a contestant on the reality show "Big Brother" made about people with the disorder.

John Gilmore, executive director of Autism United, said Monday that his group has been trying to speak with CBS executives since last week's broadcast.

On that episode, a contestant named Adam, who claims to work for an autism foundation, said he would spend his winnings on a hair salon for people with developmental disabilities "so retards can get it together and get their hair done."

His partner, Sheila, told him: "Don't call them that."

Adam responded: "Disabled kids. I can call them whatever I want. I work with them all day, OK?"

The show's Web site describes him as a 29-year-old public relations manager from Delray Beach, Fla.

There was no immediate response Monday to a call seeking comment from CBS.

"Big Brother" also has been condemned for contestants' remarks on incest, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. Some contestants have been removed following incidents that were deemed violent or racist.

The premise of the show is that contestants _ or "houseguests" _ are isolated from the outside world while under constant surveillance. Once a week, they vote to evict a member of the group.

When just two people remain, a jury of voted-off contestants picks the "Big Brother" winner of the $500,000 grand prize.

Autism is a complex disorder featuring poor social interaction and communication skills.

from CBS, lol
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/18/ap/entertainment/main3842405.shtml?source=search_story

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Autism Group Demands Apology From CBS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »
Adam is only 29? He looks 49! There is just something "off" about him.  :umn:  That was a stupid remark he made, no excuse for it, he's the new Amber.  : ;)
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Playing Games

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Remember, she lost her job at Ceasar's Palace regarding the infamous comment she made. I don't think CBS should be the ones to apologize, it should be Adam. Very inappropriate!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
Remember, she lost her job at Ceasar's Palace regarding the infamous comment she made. I don't think CBS should be the ones to apologize, it should be Adam. Very inappropriate!

I think he is as clueless as Amber was. He will find out what his throwaway comment wrought when he gets out of BB.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »
There is a lot of very interesting info regarding Adam and the legitimacy of the fund raising group he was involved with here in the CBS message boards. He may be even spookier than we think.

http://boards.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=cbsbigbromb&tid=576
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kc

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Sunny Day
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »
I agree that Adam should be the one to apology, and if he really does work with people with autism them he should understand all that they can do and what wonderful people they are.

I think cbs's responsibility lays in the fact that they let it air.  I am sure there is lots said that should never be heard by the public, and it is edited out they should have edited this also.

Offline Playing Games

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:41:04 PM »
There is a lot of very interesting info regarding Adam and the legitimacy of the fund raising group he was involved with here in the CBS message boards. He may be even spookier than we think.

http://boards.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=cbsbigbromb&tid=576

Oh my! Are saying this guy is a phony baloney? I knew there was something strange about him.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:12:51 AM »
Holy crap! ughh! They should pull him off the show if this is true which it seems to be!

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
CBS' website won't open for me, but if what is true about him and the autism thing then maybe it could be that they are just denying he works there or whatever. Kwim? I mean its a foundation, that maybe depends on dontations and this reflects them possibly. I know the other night he said it was a former NFL star that started the foundation.

Like I said, I can't get it to open, my computer is stupid. But whatever.

I also want to add that while I agree Adam should apologize I also think that CBS puts themselves into these situations. They made Adam out to be the freak from day one, they continued that and its their own dang fault.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »
Lowe's pulls ads from 'Big Brother'
By JORDAN LITE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

At least one company has pulled its ads from CBS' "Big Brother" programming after a cast member on the reality show referred to autistic children as "retards."

Lowe's, the North Carolina-based home improvement chain, said it would no longer place commercials during the broadcast.

"Lowe's is doing the right thing. They're voting with their dollars," said John Gilmore, executive director of Autism United, the Hicksville, L.I., advocacy group that has called for the show's cancellation.

The uproar began when Adam Jasinski, 29, referred to autistic youngsters as "retards" in last week's episode.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_lowes_pulls_ads_from_big_brother.html

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Good for Lowe's.

Adam is to blame, I get that. But Big Brother didn't have to show it, that was something that wasn't on the live feeds that they could've kept hush hush ya know? They have to know this is going to cause them headaches :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
I'd like to see some more info on the possibility that Adam was involved in a scam using an Autism Charity. If that is the case, I'd like to see HIM pulled from the BB house!

But good for Lowe's!

Mama, I'll bet this is a case of CBS thinking ANY publicity is good publicity!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 02:34:37 AM »
Apparently his website is just a BB fansite? And there was no taxes paid or something.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Thanks to Queeny for finding this!

NY Post

February 27, 2008 -- THE "Big Brother" contestant who stirred up a controversy when he called autistic children "retards," has been fired from his job.

But Adam Jasinski, who worked for the United Autism Foundation, doesn't know he's been canned.

He is sequestered in the "Big Brother" house in LA, cut off from contact with the outside world, in keeping with the show's rules.

The foundation announced his firing on its Web site yesterday.

At least one advertiser pulled out of the show following the public outcry over the crude remark and several autism groups even called for CBS to cancel the reality series because producers chose to air the remark in an edited version of the program.

Jasinski was heard on the program saying that he could call children with autism whatever he liked because he worked with them.

"Mr. Jasinski will no longer work for or represent the United Autism Foundation since he caused tremendous damage to UNIAF," the announcement read.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Riosmommy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 12:07:49 AM »
Hi,  I think what Adam said was horrible.  But I do not think CBS did anything wrong airing it.  Actually I perosnally am happy it was aired and I think the fallout should lay only on Adam.  I have a special needs child and we go to special classes ect she is an infant now.  I want to know about people like this and make them exposed.  Do these groups think it would have been better it not being aired and this man then go back and work with these wonderful people.  I think they just let him expose himself for who he is.  Its reality TV and eventually people let their hair down and show who they are.  CBS actually helped these people get rid of someone who doesnt care a hoot about them.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
Hi,  I think what Adam said was horrible.  But I do not think CBS did anything wrong airing it.  Actually I perosnally am happy it was aired and I think the fallout should lay only on Adam.  I have a special needs child and we go to special classes ect she is an infant now.  I want to know about people like this and make them exposed.  Do these groups think it would have been better it not being aired and this man then go back and work with these wonderful people.  I think they just let him expose himself for who he is.  Its reality TV and eventually people let their hair down and show who they are.  CBS actually helped these people get rid of someone who doesnt care a hoot about them.

Riosmommy!!!!  :-* 

Adam is an ass. Plain and simple.  :knuckles:

Offline Riosmommy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »
I could not agree with you more and I would help  :furious: his behind.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
There have been some interesting comments added here since I last looked:

pages 7 and 8:

Adam is a scam artists .... so is UNIAF ....  The Governor General of Florida has been investigating UNIAF and ADAM since shortly after all this started .... the preliminary results have warranted a full investigation by various government agencies into UNIAF as it has been linked to various scams involving Reality Show contestants including Adam from BB where UNIAF stands for United Autism Foundation, one from Survivor Africa when UNIAF stood for United States of Africa, and the third involved a contestant from Fear Factor.

BB 9 has been sick ... the house was full of prescription drug abusers ... Adam admitted to be being a Cocaine Dealer ... Matty and Ryan also mentioned being involved with dealing drugs .... Adam also claimed to have been involved in importing illegal diamonds from Africa (where children are used as slaves to do the mining )

Adam has admitted on live feeds he was employed by CBS and worked for BB just a few weeks before this season started ... this was confirmed by a UNIAF board member who hired Adam to do some telemarketing for them but had to fire him after only 6 weeks due to complaints from area businesses about his harassing, rude and unethical tactics.  he confirmed the reason Adam was hired was due to a glowing recommendation from CBS and Groaner (producer of BB, not sure of the spelling of her last name) and that the only reason CBS let Adam go was so that he would be eligible to be a contestant on BB 9.

and this CBS News investigation:

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=50872@wfor.dayport.com

There is apparently a lot of info that suggests this foundation was a scam.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
So in other words, Adam shouldn't even be on Big Brother. I think its crap that he knew the casting director :res:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »
Isn't Adam the Fav to win Final 2? ???  (watched verrrry little bb9, but think I read tonite he's F2)

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 01:31:23 AM »
Yes he is :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 02:19:42 AM »
So in other words, Adam shouldn't even be on Big Brother. I think its crap that he knew the casting director :res:

Not only that--he worked for CBS and possibly for BB!! If that isn't conflict of interest I don't know what is! 

Seems like it could lead to all sorts of complaints of favoritism by CBS...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Nuala

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 06:46:09 AM »
The United Autism Foundation, also known as UNIAF, founded by former NFL pro football player, Olaf Hampel, is officially apologizing for the disrespectful and irresponsible remarks about children and adults who have been diagnosed with autism made by Adam Jasinski on Big Brother 9, a CBS Reality TV Show.

It is important to know that any and all remarks about children and adults with autism made by Adam Jasinski are his personal beliefs, and not the beliefs of the United Autism Foundation. Adam Jasinski did not make any of those unprofessional comments while he was working with the United Autism Foundation. Therefore, Adam Jasinski did not show any evidence about his personal beliefs in the few months he assisted the foundation and its mission to improve our community.

It needs to be clarified that the foundation has not received any financial support by the government or agencies, other foundations or even companies and was only funded by its founder. As the financial limits of the founder have been reached at the beginning of 2008, the United Autism Foundation was forced to downsize its operation and Adam Jasinski was no longer employed by UNIAF at the time of his comments, although he had continued to offer some assistance as a volunteer.

Based on the published comments on national television, Adam Jasinski cannot and will not represent or work for the United Autism Foundation after his time at the Big Brother TV show. His statements do not do justice to this overseen and the fastest growing disorder in our country.

UNIAF deeply apologizes to the Autism Community, all children, adults and their families who are affected with Autism and the entire country for the disrespectful comments which have been made on national television by a former employee. The United Autism foundation is trying to create public awareness in order to help and support all those who have been diagnosed with autism and is deeply offended by statements which can hurt any individuals in our nation.

To find out more information about the United Autism Foundation and its programs, please visit UNIAF at www.UNIAF.org.

judythpiazza@newsblaze.com
Copyright © 2008, NewsBlaze, Daily News

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »

WOW! I did not know he was employed by BB, and personally got a recommendation by Grodner!  (:;)

This is so wrong! Not to mention the comps for the final 3 were so tailored for a man, Sheila had no chance of lasting on the boggie board as long as A/R could, or turning that heavy wheel for that matter!  :knuckles:

Nuala

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
i have not read that he worked for CBS I read that he worked for NBC for the Apprentice and set up things for the first season and that is where the guy for the foundation heard about him.