Author Topic: American Idol Casting ***SPOILERS***  (Read 5354 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
American Idol Casting ***SPOILERS***
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
Thanks to Buddy TV for this info...

Top 12 Girls

Asiah Epperson
Alaina Whitaker
Alex Lushington
Amanda Overmyer
Amy Davis
Brooke White
Carly Hennessy Smithson
Joanne Borgella
Kady Malloy
Kristy Lee Cook
Ramielle Malubay
Syesha Mercado

Top 12 Guys

Chikeze Eze
Colton Berry
Danny Noriega
David Archuleta
David Cook
David Hernandez
Garrett Haley
Jason Castro
Jason Yeager
Luke Menard
Michael Lee Johns
Robbie Carrico

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: American Idol Casting ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
And then based on those reported top 12 lists, Buddy TV also had this to say:

After the names of the top 24 finalists for season 7 were leaked last week, a disturbing reality was revealed.  More than half of the finalists are ringers.  They are not the “undiscovered talent” that American Idol so proudly brags about.  These are singers who, at some point, were indeed discovered and then, for some reason or another (as is wont to happen in the recording industry), failed.  The new question is this: Does it matter that this season's top 24 is peppered with industry ringers?  Or, better yet: Will anybody care?

Three members of the top 24 this season have recorded and released albums while signed to a major label.  Others have appeared on major tours, major reality shows, sung with other major artists, or released their own albums.  A few have curious ties to American Idol and their affiliated recording companies.  Over it's seven season run, American Idol has regularly boasted about how their goal is to bring the best undiscovered talent to the masses.  These people, no matter what your definition is, are not “undiscovered.” 

Here's a look at some of the more blatant recording industry veterans who, according to the leaked list, have made the top 24 (We have to thank VoteFortheWorst.com for uncovering the pasts of these singers):

Carly Smithson (formerly Carly Hennesy): 
This is the tattooed Irish lady.  She tried out a couple of seasons ago, but was expelled due to visa issues.  She recorded an album for RCA that sold very poorly in the U.S.  One of the songwriters on her album has also written songs for Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken. 

Robbie Carrico: Robbie was part of a boy band during that unfortunate time when boy bands were all the rage.  They made a couple albums, were a failure.  Lately, Robbie has been a part of a pop rock band that has also failed miserably.  Reportedly, he was also one of Britney Spears' first boyfriends.  That looked a lot better on the resume a few years ago. 

Michael Johns: This Aussie has been the frontman for two different bands, both having recorded albums.  He had a major falling out with his last band, as he was accused of stealing songs upon his departure. 

Kristy Lee Cook
: She had a record deal with Arista Nashville a few years back and even recorded a music video. 

Syesha Mercado: She was a contestant on the talent show The One.

Amy Davis: Is a model and has been a member of a band.

Brooke White: She opened for Phil Vassar on one of his recent tours.

Kady Malloy
: She recorded an album with the help from a big-time producer who has also worked with Mandy Moore and Natalie Imbruglia.

David Archuleta: He won Star Search when he was 12 and has sung with Kelly Clarkson. 

Joanne Borgella: She won a televised plus-sized beauty pageant.  She has sung with Patti Labelle and Bo Bice, and has appeared on various talk shows.

LINK

So....do we care? Or not? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
So....do we care? Or not? 

Well I kinda care. I kept track of the auditions we've seen so far, out of 17 names I had 6. I was terrible on the guys but then perhaps we haven't seen all of them, can't say one way or the other.

I had noticed that we are seeing more, how should I put it, eye appealing and better yet more commercial as a winner. I don't think we will ever see another Rubin or another Taylor Hicks. 

I'm 50/50 on whether I like this or not.   :umn:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:53 PM »
I care too. I care if they are using singers with pre-Idol connections to Idol.

I feel the same way about this that I do about TAR.

I want new fresh non-mactor people on my shows. Undiscovered talent. If they want to give people second chances--no problem. Just don't market it as a talent search for fresh previously undiscovered talent. All of a sudden it seems too contrived and too commercial. Is that an oxymoron? :lol3:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:17:49 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
Well I kinda care. I kept track of the auditions we've seen so far, out of 17 names I had 6. I was terrible on the guys but then perhaps we haven't seen all of them, can't say one way or the other.

I had noticed that we are seeing more, how should I put it, eye appealing and better yet more commercial as a winner. I don't think we will ever see another Rubin or another Taylor Hicks. 

I don't know about that. Once this list gets circulated through the major celebrity news shows, I think it could cause a backlash effect. People may rather pull for (and vote for) the underdogs!!!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:00:46 AM »
I CARE, dang it!!  I was gonna post that buddytv top 24 list, but wasn't sure if I should.  Oh well...peach you did it so at least it's posted.  Thanks. 

On with the show, and somehow I have confidence that Season 7 will be successful and lots better than Season 6.

Hey tanbuns, I've missed you...haven't see ya for awhile.  Good to see you baaak! :waves:

Ruday

Offline Snickers

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm Back
    • Rachael Speaks
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
I care...but you are right, I will be more inclined to root for the underdogs, than the ringers....This could be a risk for them, because, they may lose viewership over this, and that would end the show.  The other problem is, might insight more people to vote for the worst and we end up with someone like Katherine McFee.  And thus still lose, because they have to give that person a record deal, more wasted money.

On the plus side, I have some student's I am working with that want to do their own little version of Idol, perhaps when they are done, I can convince them to post on youtube, for you all to see :)
Snickers
Did you miss me?

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
If you remember last season, I told you about Phil Stacey right after the auditions. He went to the university in my city, and lived here for a while after school.

Well, there is another guy for my city who made it through to Hollywood. His name is Chase Guyton. They did not show his audition in front of Randy, Paula, and Simon, but they did show him near the end of the Atlanta auditions, coming out the door with a golden ticket in his hand, and being congratulated by a huge group of family members.  :wohoo:

He is the middle child of five brothers. My oldest daughter sang in middle school and high school showchoir with one of his younger brothers. My daughter is 24, so that would put Chase at around 26 or so.

Chase's two older brothers sang in an acappella barbershop quartet that won the national barbershop competition a couple of years ago. So he comes from a very talented family.

I do not see Chase's name on your list, so I do not know how he does in Hollywood. Maybe I should do a little investigating to find out!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
And of course, it may be that the list above is not accurate either...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:43 AM »
And of course, it may be that the list above is not accurate either...

:tup: So the list was 100 percent correct.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »
We'll know pretty soon if this list is correct or not. I know that we didn't see some of the people who made it through during the audition shows. I have a feeling this will be a good season. No Sanjaya's!  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.