Author Topic: Bertram van Munster  (Read 7286 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Bertram van Munster
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 27, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- The winners of the 2007 Directors Guild of America Outstanding Directorial Achievement Awards and the recipients of the Guild's 2008 Career Achievement Awards were announced Saturday night during the 60th Annual DGA Awards Dinner at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles. Joel Coen and Ethan Coen won the DGA's Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for No Country for Old Men.

Following the welcome from DGA President Michael Apted to an audience of more than 1,500 guests, Actor/Director/Comedian Carl Reiner hosted the Awards ceremony for the twenty-first time.

The winners of the 2007 Directors Guild of America Awards for Outstanding Directorial Achievement and the recipients of the Guild's 2008 Career Achievement Awards are:

OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN REALITY PROGRAMS
        -------------------------------------------------------

BERTRAM VAN MUNSTER
 The Amazing Race -- "Episode #1110"
 (CBS)

Mr. Van Munster's Directorial Team:
 Segment Director: Evan Weinstein

This is Mr. Van Munster's first DGA Award. He was previously
 nominated for The Amazing Race Episode #102" in 2006 and for
 "Episode #805" in 2005.

LINK
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: Bertram van Munster
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks, GeorgiaPeach.

For those interested, episode 1110 was the All Stars episode in Macau which aired on April 22 ,2007.

I can't decide what footage was the deciding factor in BVM's win, the Macau Tower scenes or Kandice on the pole making noodles.   :-[

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
Oh thank you Pedaler! I wasn't sure which episode that was!  :tup:

So not commenting on the noodles....
   :lol: :neener:  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
Pedaler,
that would be good if Macau were correct, but it isn't. We have already discussed what episode 1110 is on another thread. When you count backward from the end it is extremely clear:

13 Guam to Hawaii to San Francisco
12 Macau to Hong Kong Airport to Guam
11 Macau
10 HONG KONG

This is the episode at the track at Happy Valley and the "fighting" Kung-Fu style whoever while climbing the outside of a building and  pulling the toy boats across a small artificial pond.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »
they might have picked this episode due to the Mirna/Dustin & Kandice fight

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
Yeah, I seriously don't understand them picking that episode.  Not that i am against AR winning things, but really.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »
The cool karate stuff, the scaffold the music that was over it,  the awesome fast forward, thats what I think it was all about not Dustin & Kandice *Poor Michael his & OCD , its not always about the blonde's* B:) B:)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
Kandice kicking down those doors with her long legs...
now THATS what it was all about puddin, who are you trying to fool here?!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
Look BVM was a no show ............I hope he's busy scouting season 13.

60th Annual DGA Awards - Press Room
LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 26: Actress Anna Paquin poses with Bertram van Munster's Outstanding Directorial Achievement Reality Programs Award in the press room during the 60th annual DGA Awards held at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel on January 26, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Toby Canham/Getty Images)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »
Kandice kicking down those doors with her long legs...
now THATS what it was all about puddin, who are you trying to fool here?!
:bigbaby: :james:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »
apskip, You may be right but this source http://tv.ign.com/objects/899/899463.html  says that Episode 1110 is the one I cited.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
thefutoncritic has it as  :duno:
Episode Title: (#1110) "We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War"
We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War" -- Teams get a kick out of their next destination when they're challenged by high flying Kung Fu Warriors while scaling a massive bamboo scaffold, on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS, Sunday, April 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
LOL Pudding.  We're posting at the same time.  Note that there is a Part 1 and Part 2 for one of the episodes. http://tv.ign.com/objects/860/860619.html

1101     I Told You Less Martinis And More Cardio     2/18/07
     The race begins in Miami, Fla. when Teams begin jockeying for available flights to the first destination, Quito, Ecuador. Once there, Teams climb to an elevation of 11,040 feet during a four-hour ride through the rugged terrain of the Andes Mountain en route to their first Detour. The All-Stars' physical stamina is tested immediately as Teams struggle to complete the Detour that will require several Racers to get up close and personal with one hundred wild horses.
IGN Rating: 7.8 - Read the Review

1102    Beauty is Sometimes Skin Deep    2/25/07
     One Team's daring attempts to outsmart the competition fall drastically when a chanced flight is delayed.
IGN Rating: 8.5 - Read the Review

1103    I'm Sorry I'm Wearing A Bathing Suit. It Is Very Weird, I Know    3/04/07
     At the Pit Stop, one Team's joy turns to shock when Phil tells them that they did not get one of their clues and they must have them all before checking in.
IGN Rating: 8.8 - Read the Review

1104    No Babies On The Race!    3/11/07
     Confusion at the Detour puts one Team in peril when a long standing rival overtakes them.
IGN Rating: 8 - Read the Review

1105    You Need to Watch Your Jokes, Guy    3/18/07
     During a Roadblock, teams must get up close and personal with a rat in order to receive their next clue.
IGN Rating: 7.5 - Read the Review

1106    We're Going to Trade You For Food Now    3/25/07
     As the Racers head to Tanzania, one Team takes a huge risk and puts it all on the line in an attempt to get ahead of the pack.
IGN Rating: 6.5 - Read the Review

1107    If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number, Parts 1 & 2    4/01/07
     Teams head to Warsaw, Poland where a disagreement sparks an intense argument and name calling between teammates.
IGN Rating: 7 - Read the Review

1108    The Way You Look, Yeah    4/08/07
     Some locals in Malaysia can't help but encourage certain Racers in surprising ways and one Racer offers words of advice for the Malaysian youth.

1109    We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War    4/15/07
     Teams get a kick out of their next destination when they're challenged by high flying Kung Fu Warriors while scaling a massive bamboo scaffold.
IGN Rating: 6 - Read the Review

1110    Good Doing Business With You    4/22/07
     Teams come face-to-face with their fear of heights during a harrowing Roadblock that finds the Racers plunging over 600 feet in the highest "descender" jump in the history of the Race.

1111    Oh My God, the Teletubbies Go To War    4/29/07
     While in Guam, one Team is overcome by feelings of patriotism while visiting the U.S. military bases. Not even the thrill of zero gravity can stop one Racer from urging the crew of the plane to race faster.
IGN Rating: 8 - Read the Review

1112    Low to the Ground, That's My Technique    5/06/07
     The final three All-Star Teams Race towards the finish line for their second chance at one million dollars and, for two teams, its the chance to become the first all-female team to win the Race.
IGN Rating: 7.5 - Read the Review
Contributions

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »
And to further confuse the issue http://tv.ign.com/objects/899/899463.html
says that the Macao episode is Episode Number 1110 but Production Code 1111.

:groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:

I think the confusion is the 2 hour episode on April 1,2007.  It is listed as one episode (1107) but two productions (1107/1108)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »
It would have helped if the DGA had spelled it out for us Pedalar, some details would have been nice :lol:

The DGA awards are never televised so were not affected by the Writers Guild of America strike.  :res:  :meow:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »
You're right, Puddin.

I'm not a director but I would be very surprised if the Hong Kong episode won.  It was so lame compared to the Macau one.  The Kung Fu fighting and knocking down doors is award winning stuff? Yuck! Plus, IIRC the teams didn't interact much as they finished pretty much in the same order as they arrived in Hong Kong.

While in Macau, you had the great Macau Tower stuff.  I still remember the previews of Charla running along the top of the tower.  Super photography.  Then you had the sneaky scheming with Oswald & Danny getting money from the BQs to yield Eric & Danielle.  Which of course gave them such bad karma they dropped to last in the leg.  And as I wrote before, Kandace and the pole  :-[
IMHO Macao was the vastly superior episode.

As you said, I wish the press releases were clearer.  I'd e-mail World Race Productions if I had their address.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:21 AM »
Pedaler,

As you point out, the ambiguity was created in somebody's numbering system with the 2 Poland pitstops. Here are RFF we counted them as separate episodes(which they are) and went up to 13 total  for AR11. that makes episode 10 Hong Kong, which was a fine episode and in my opinion better than Macau. The question is which one was nominated by the Directors Guild of America; what counting system did they use?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:33:34 PM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
Look BVM was a no show ............I hope he's busy scouting season 13.

60th Annual DGA Awards - Press Room
LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 26: Actress Anna Paquin poses with Bertram van Munster's Outstanding Directorial Achievement Reality Programs Award in the press room during the 60th annual DGA Awards held at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel on January 26, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Toby Canham/Getty Images)
Anna looks rather lovely. She's come a long way from "The Pianist".
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
I've been checking additional sources. The best I can find so far states that 1110 is Kung Fu Warriors in HONG KONG.