Author Topic: The Mole is back  (Read 52829 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Mole is back
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »

:faint: 3 more days :wohoo:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2008, 03:44:05 AM »
.... an interesting article:

ABC's 'The Mole' resurfaces with a new host

The Mole is out of hiding.

After a four-year hiatus, ABC's cloak-and-dagger reality series returns tonight (10 ET/PT) with 12 players competing for prize money while trying to identify a saboteur in their ranks.

Why the return after such a long absence? ABC just took a fresh look at a format that drew a good amount of young viewers and has maintained fan interest, says John Saade, who oversees ABC's alternative series.

"It was a different regime here and different priorities, and (ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson) was willing to give it another shot," Saade says.

"It's the one show that people always ask about. People are already playing the game now based just on the promos and a little bit that's on the website."

Tonight, in the first of 10 episodes, contestants begin with a rafting money grab above a waterfall in Los Angeles, Chile, the start of challenges at various locations in South America.

One obvious change is the new host, Jon Kelley (Extra), who succeeds Anderson Cooper and Ahmad Rashad.

The Mole features frequent interaction between the host and contestants, and Kelley works well with them, Saade says. "The host has to be someone who tweaks the characters a little bit but also be a good traffic cop. Jon's great," he says.

After the long absence, the producers will remind old and new viewers how The Mole works.

"We're expecting a lot of new viewers, which is why we took great pains, particularly in Episode 1, to produce it with the novice viewer in mind," executive producer Scott Stone says.

As with earlier editions of the series, players must try to determine the identity of the mole. They will be quizzed at the end of each episode, with the player who knows the least being eliminated, or executed, in Mole-speak. In the final episode, the mole will be revealed, and one player can win up to $500,000.

In an effort to engage the audience, the quiz has been shortened from 25 questions to 10, and viewers will be able to answer all of them with information presented on the program.

"In the past, some of the questions would be about things you wouldn't have been able to learn unless you were there on location or one of the players," executive producer Clay Newbill says. The new system "really ups the play-along ability for viewers at home."

Producers say that makes the quiz more accessible, not dumbed-down as some critics contend. Even with player profiles and other clues available early on The Mole's website at abc.com, some fans have come to the wrong conclusions, Stone says.

The Mole has presented both celebrity and non-celebrity editions, but the producers and Saade prefer the latter, which also features the element of travel. This field includes an obstetrician/gynecologist and a neuroscientist.

"I prefer the civilian model," Newbill says. "I think the stakes are greater."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-06-01-mole-reality_N.htm?csp=34
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:15:01 AM by ca bb fan »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »
.... another interesting article

Critic's pick: 'The Mole'

My passion for "The Mole" should be no secret to anyone by now. The reality-competition series, which debuted in 2001, was one of the smartest, funniest and most exciting ever, and its demise (after two watered-down celebrity editions) was deeply disappointing for fans, who always hoped it would return. Well, miracles do happen, and "The Mole" is back.

The game has 12 players traveling the world and competing together on money-earning "missions." (First up: going over a waterfall in Chile, at night.) The money goes into a communal pot that the eventual winner will take home. But the twist is that one of the 12 is the Mole, a saboteur whose mission is to keep the others from succeeding while successfully hiding his or her own identity. Jon Kelley is the new host, succeeding Anderson Cooper (who moved on to CNN) and Ahmed Rashad (who took over for the celebrity editions).

The new season's players include Ali, 24, a model from St. Louis. (Is she the Mole?) Also on the roster are Alex, 31, a musician from Haverford, Pa.; Bobby, 25, a restaurant manager from Philadelphia; Clay, 32, a lawyer from Philadelphia; Craig, 30, a graphic designer from San Diego; Kristen, 36, a Parkinson's disease researcher from Santa Monica, Calif; Liz, 60, a retiree from Whitefish, Mont.; Marcie, 31, a stay-at-home mom from Corona, Calif.; Mark, 42, a teacher and soccer coach (and self-proclaimed "Mole" fanatic) from Mukwonago, Wis.; Nicole, 32, an obstetrician from Chicago; Paul, 29, a machinist from Yonkers, N.Y.; and Victoria, 26, a retail manager from Bishop, Texas.

Watch it? If you miss "The Amazing Race."

Source: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/tvradio/story/FF80EEE90F8252288625745900710A4A?OpenDocument

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great articles--I can hardly wait!

The Mole returns tonight at 10PM on ABC!

See you there!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Thanks for all the great articles--I can hardly wait!

The Mole returns tonight at 10PM on ABC!

See you there!
Where are we going?  :neener:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2008, 12:39:16 PM »
Well, I'm going to be HERE!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
UH-OH!  :'(

ABC’s “The Mole” had an inauspicious return after a four-year absence last night, finishing third in its timeslot and losing a good deal of its “Bachelorette” lead-in.

“Mole” averaged a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, well behind timeslot leader NBC’s 2.9 for game five of the Stanley Cup finals. It was also behind a 2.6 for a repeat of “CSI: Miami” on CBS.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Overnights_50/Weak_debut_for_ABC_s_returning_Mole.asp

Bad Timeslot! Bad Timeslot! (:;)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
I hope ABC plans to run a repeat of the premiere episode sometime this week.  That might be a good idea to sucker in more viewers.  I guess the subliminal advertising didn't help.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
UH-OH!  :'(

ABC’s “The Mole” had an inauspicious return after a four-year absence last night, finishing third in its timeslot and losing a good deal of its “Bachelorette” lead-in.

“Mole” averaged a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, well behind timeslot leader NBC’s 2.9 for game five of the Stanley Cup finals. It was also behind a 2.6 for a repeat of “CSI: Miami” on CBS.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Overnights_50/Weak_debut_for_ABC_s_returning_Mole.asp

Bad Timeslot! Bad Timeslot! (:;)

This is not good!   :groan:

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »
Shades of TAR8 killing TAR9, I think the Celebrity editions killed the Mole for a lot of people, amen ABC  :res: .

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
Well ABC has put together a nice cast and a nice show. They have done their part in advertising and promoting it beautifully.

So now it is up to us to talk it up, get our friends interested, and turn a slow start into a great second week!

We've been waiting WAY too long for this to let it slip away--so rally the troops, guys!!   :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
Well ABC has put together a nice cast and a nice show. They have done their part in advertising and promoting it beautifully.

So now it is up to us to talk it up, get our friends interested, and turn a slow start into a great second week!

We've been waiting WAY too long for this to let it slip away--so rally the troops, guys!!   :yess:

No ABC waited too long to bring it back imo, its their own fault.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
Hopefully the magic is still there...we just have to close our eyes, tap our heels together three times, and BELIEVE!!

:colors :colors :colors :colors :iok :iok :colors :colors :colors :colors
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Is it me or has ABC stopped promoting The Mole?

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »
I just checked the ABC message boards and TV.com, and neither one hinted anything about it being possibly cancelled or put on hiatus.  I know I saw an ad for the second episode on last night's Jimmy Kimmel Live primetime special (at 8pm).

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »
More ratings news...

At 10 p.m., CBS' "CSI: Miami" posted a 5.9/10 to beat out "Nashville Star," which ticked up to 4.4/8. "The Mole" came in at 2.7/5 for ABC.

Source: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ratings060908,0,2843278.story?track=rss

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
I love The Mole but it's boring to watch!  I'm trying and will keep trying but for some reason they are missing the mark and hopefully when they get down to the final people it will pick up quite a bit!  But to me it's on the same level as BB (boring) which has to really redeem itself this summer or it will be a bye-bye show too!  And I love BB.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2008, 02:31:49 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting into it.  Don't care much for the host, but know he's trying.  He just seems robotic or something. 

I still need to watch the 2nd half of Ep 2 and all of Ep 3 to catch up.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2008, 02:47:42 AM »
No way how could that happen, for the time being I am still on the fence with this new Mole...as peach said we have waited 2 long for this to go out again!  :ascared
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
I guess I just realized the Mole is only 10 episodes

date (day) time network episode title
8/4/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#510) N/A
7/28/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#509) N/A
7/21/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#508) N/A
7/14/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#507) N/A
7/7/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#506) N/A
6/30/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#505) N/A
6/23/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#504) N/A
6/16/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#503) N/A
6/9/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#502) Episode 502 (*)
6/2/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#501) Episode 501

update: no show July 7th pushing the Mole finale to 8/11~

date (day) time network episode title
8/11/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#510) N/A
8/4/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#509) N/A
7/28/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#508) N/A
7/21/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#507) N/A
7/14/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#506) N/A
7/14/08 (Mo.) 9:00 PM ABC (#511) Recap Special
6/30/08 (Mo.) 10:00 PM ABC (#505) Episode 505 (*)