Author Topic: EP 11: The Final Push  (Read 173533 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP 11: The Final Push
« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2008, 07:50:32 PM »
I'm home and just dropped my suitcase inside the door and watched the episode! I love TARcon but I didn't really have any idea about that last task until I saw it again just now!

Quick thoughts!

Girdwood Airport??!! And we had that all along??  :groan: :res: :groan:  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I loved the final task too--that's the kind of thing that is relevant and challenging and fun! And I also liked that they were told to go to places by clues not addresses to make it even more interesting.  We've kind of had a Captain Cook thing going on since All-Stars--or even before??

TK did say that Rachel had kept a little journal during the race and they studied all the way from Taiwan  to Anchorage--he was so proud of her...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »
Having been finally able to watch the final episode, that Roadblock was the Best Evah! Kudos to the Survivor task master (or whomever thought of it) to come up with one of the best challenges in TV history.

I noticed at China Airlines ticket counter in the Taoyuan International Airport, Rachel was scribbling notes in her journal. It was really brief, but her boning up on the tasks on the plane to Alaska helped her out. Christina wasn't too far behind, but she looked like she got flustered after a while.

This was definitely one of the best seasons of TAR and certainly showed that mactors aren't necessarily the best casting move. We had genuine people in the Final 3 and after meeting TK and Rachel at TARCon, I'm even more impressed by them.

I'm now going through TAR withdrawal. Thank goodness for TAR Asia, but even that will be ending soon.

apskip, do you want to watch "The Race" again?  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
apskip, do you want to watch "The Race" again?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The producer guy has graduated, so there won't even be another season of that :(

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »
Ken, not for a year or two. I've got most episodes of most Amazing Races still in my head plus I have all but one episode of them on VCR tape for whenever I want to see them again. I have seen AR1 through AR9 twice. AR12 ranks in my view below AR5, AR2, AR1, and AR7 in total excitement and above all of the rest.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:35:52 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »
fwiw~

Local woman’s son pilots ‘Amazing Race’ contestants

Sommer Woodward
Staff Reporter

A Salina woman’s son, Danny Brewer, was the pilot of a helicopter on the final episode of ‘The Amazing Race’ on CBS Sunday.

Brewer’s mom, Shirley Shook, was excited to see her son on the national program Sunday.

Although flying float planes and helicopters is something Brewer does every day, flying one for a reality show is a first.

Brewer works for Alaska West Air, which contracts pilots for sporting groups, film crews and other events.

Brewer has piloted a helicopter for over 30 movies of extreme skiing. He flies camera crews to spots where skiers attempt a new descent for the first time.

For ‘The Amazing Race,’ Brewer was contracted to fly one of the teams from a glacier to Anchorage, Ala., for their next clue. This was the last leg of the race for $1 million. By this time, three teams remained in contention for the money.

Brewer didn’t know how ‘The Amazing Race’ worked until he flew the team off the glacier.

Brewer has been flying in Alaska since he was 15 and mostly pilots float planes and helicopters.

He and his wife, Kelly, have three children, Lauren, 23, Owen, 22 and Taylor, 18.

link

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
I just received some intriguing "additional information" to my original Alaska spoiler that I was not privy to until today.  If you recall, my co-worker is the one that spilled the beans to me.  She got the info from her parents who had been on vacation in Alaska.  If you further recall, her parents clammed up in giving her more info after they found out that she was sharing the information with someone else (me).   :lol:  At any rate, I was just talking to said co-worker and I asked her if her parents had watched the final episode.  She said they did but they were confused by what they saw in regards to the Jet boats because it didn't match what was told to them by their jet boat driver.  Of course I poked and prodded and here is what she told me......

My co-worker's parent's  Jet boat driver was apparently the driver for the last team that arrived at the Twentymile river which we all know from the show was Nick and Don.  They said that their boat driver told them that even though he drove the last team to the glacier that he actually got to the glacier first before the other two teams.  They said that the boat driver said that the two other teams I guess took routes on the river with shallow water and got run aground.   They said that the boat driver even pointed out to them where the other teams got stuck and that he was quite proud that he took a better route than the other teams and beat them up the river.  

Obviously they were confused when the watched the show because Ron/Christina were shown arriving first followed by TK/Rachel and then Nick/Don. 

Now I'm confused.  If this is all true then the editors obviously edited the task out of sequence just to keep with the storyline.  In the end it doesn't matter who did that task first because the outcome is the same.  Or perhaps there was another task before they reached the glacier that we didn't see???  maybe?  BUT the Ron/Christina were clearly the first one's to the Roadblock so I would assume they had to have left on the helicopter first from the glacier.  hmmmm.......

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
Interesting Colby!

This sounds as though it could be a "production error" though--if the boat drivers ran them aground and it wasn't the teams fault then they may have been given some sort of an adjustment in placement and sent on from there..

Another Question to ask!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »
Why does this disturb me? *going back to Michael's happy place*  :colors

Thanks for sharing Colby  :js:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »
This sounds as though it could be a "production error" though--if the boat drivers ran them aground and it wasn't the teams fault then they may have been given some sort of an adjustment in placement and sent on from there..

Wouldn't it be treated as let's say a taxi getting lost and a team overtakes another?

I'm confused too just trying to wrap my head around it.  I assume that before they took off on the jet boat that there was probably "prep time" before the boat took off so the teams could prepare and given safety instruction on the boat ride.  so there is some time for trailing teams to catch up.  Even if the stuck boats only took a couple of minutes to get "unstuck", at the glacier, did it not appear that teams were only be allowed to climb the glacier one team at a time?  I don't recall seeing two teams on the glacier at the same time.

Maybe I should just stop in trying to figure it out.   :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »
It is not logical that the last place team to the boats would become the first time to arrive. those boats are regulated to take a standard course and use a standard speed. It is not logical that any boat could change position in route.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
It is not logical that the last place team to the boats would become the first time to arrive. those boats are regulated to take a standard course and use a standard speed. It is not logical that any boat could change position in route.

Unless of course they became stuck on a sandbar...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #486 on: January 24, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

I don't know much about the TwentyMile River area but from reading up at the website, it says there are narrow areas and they have to drive around logs and rocks and such.  Take a look at the website and the video and pictures on there.   http://alaska.org/glaciers/glacier-jet-alaska.jsp

C'mon apskip.  A boat isn't going to take a straight course from point A to B unless of course it is traveling on some sort of fixed line beneath the water which isn't logical.  It's going to encounter obstacles on the way that may have them go left or right. 

I'm only reporting what I was told by the same source that gave us the location and task spoilers that turned out to be true.  This added information is what was told to them by the boat driver that was the source of this spoiler.  It doesn't make sense as to why he would lie to them.   

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »
If that were so, Colby , then why were Nicholas and Donald still the last team to begin the ice climb and why was their boat shown in the episode arriving last?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:18:36 PM by apskip »

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
If that were so, Colby , then why were Nicholas and Donald still the last team to begin the ice climb and why was their boar shown in the episode arriving last?

That's what I've been trying to figure out in my head.   Would you like me to go back in my time machine and find out?  How the hell am I supposed to know?  I wasn't there. 

Have you ever heard of editing apskip?  It's pretty standard in the movie business.  In the editing room, anything can be cut and edited to look a certain way.  We've seen in the past how tasks have been omitted and we were unaware and yet on the episode it all looks in sequence. 

Also, if this was considered production glitch and for whatever reason in the rule book they allowed Ron/Christina and TK/Rachel to get back into their #1 and #2 position (time credit),  that would mean they would hold the last team back from starting the climb and have Ron/Christina put back in front....film them arriving first, give them 5, 10, 15 minutes and then have the second team arrive and so on and so forth.  It's impossible for us not involved in the process to figure out.  Also, how do we know if perhaps there wasn't a task before the ice climb that we didn't see?  That could explain it as well.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
It's impossible for us not involved in the process to figure out. 

Oh ye of little faith!   ;)

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »
Teams don't get time credits for anything that isn't specifically the producers fault.

1.  When Tyler & James boat was driven with the anchor still down) allowing a team to pass them they received no credit.

2.  When cabs break down, run out of gas, get flats, over heats, ect teams don't get time credits.

3.  When planes have problems teams don't get time credits.

4.  When buses get in accidents, have flats teams don't get time credits.