Author Topic: Dance Wars  (Read 4066 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Dance Wars
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:22:05 PM »
Dance Wars Bruno vs Carrie Ann

http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancewar/index?pn=index

Six-week series premiering January 7, 2008, from 8:00-10:00 p.m., ET

Dancing with the Stars judges and renowned choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba will put their reputations on the line as they search for America's most talented amateur performers - who can both dance and sing -- in a massive nationwide hunt. They'll create two rival teams and battle it out on the dance floor to form the ultimate performance group, on Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann, premiering MONDAY, JANUARY 7, 2008 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Pop sensation and Dancing with the Stars Season Two champion Drew Lachey hosts the six-week primetime reality series.

After the audition show, Dance War goes live with the top 12 contestants divided into two teams. Captains Tonioli and Inaba will mentor their teams through spectacularly-themed song and dance numbers ranging from Latin to Pop and Country. The fate of the teams is in the hands of viewers who will vote for their favorite group each week. The captain of the lowest scoring team -- whether it be Bruno or Carrie Ann -- will face the dilemma of having to choose one of their performers for elimination. The champions will win a life changing prize - they'll go on tour as the opening act for a major performing artist and a chance to start a thrilling career as part of a brand new all-dancing, all-singing act.

John Hesling is executive producer and Moira Ross is co-executive producer. Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann is produced for ABC by BBC Worldwide Productions, and is based on the BBC's format DanceX.

A Video Preview of Dance Wars

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Dance Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
Article: Dance Wars Bruno vs Carrie Ann

http://tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=50

After months of differing opinions, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli are ready to meet on the dance floor for Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann to settle the question of who can produce the better dance team.  At stake is the honor and bragging rights of one and the endless possibilities of tormenting the other on the upcoming season of Dancing. Beginning Monday, January 7 at 8PM on ABC, this show promises great choreography, spectacular singing, and plenty of high jinx as the two judges battle it out.

After months of differing opinions, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli are ready to meet on the dance floor for Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann to settle the question of who can produce the better dance team.  At stake is the honor and bragging rights of one and the endless possibilities of tormenting the other on the upcoming season of Dancing.Beginning Monday, January 7 at 8PM on ABC, this show promises great choreography, spectacular singing, and plenty of high jinx as the two judges battle it out.

Dance War will pit Carrie Ann against Bruno, both judges on the immensely popular, Dancing With The Stars reality show. Dance War’s format borrows from the So You Think You Can Dance and The Apprentice reality shows with a dash of American Idol thrown in. The premiere show will cover the audition process and narrow the contestants down to the final 12. Each week there after the contestants will perform and viewers will have the opportunity to vote for either Carrie Ann’s or Bruno’s team as the best team. The captain of the losing team will then select a member of her/his own group to be eliminated.

It is fitting that 98 Degrees sensation and Dancing With The Stars Season Two champion Drew Lachey will host the reality series. 

At the end of the six-week competition, the remaining contestants will come together as the winning group and will form a troupe of singing dancers who will have the opportunity of a lifetime: to tour with and be the opening act for a major performing artist.

While Dance War will have similar elements with Dancing With The Stars, it will not be a copy of it. "It's a companion show" to Dancing, executive producer John Hesling says. "It's not about ballroom. It's singing and dancing. It's very cool stuff, not sequins or taffeta."

This will be an entertaining show that mixes the talents of amateur singer/dancers with Carrie Ann’s sensitivity and Bruno’s excitability – it can’t help but be a winner.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
Carrie Ann Inaba

Carrie Ann Inaba's original and creative choreography can be seen in numerous hit shows on television, including American Idol and the opening credits of So you Think you Can Dance? In 2005 she signed on as a judge for the hit ABC series Dancing with the Stars, and now, along with Dancing co-judge Bruno Tonioli, she'll serve as coach and choreographer for ABC's Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann.

Inaba is currently a correspondent with NBC's Extra. She also recently hosted a travel DVD entitled Tokyology, offering a light hearted look at Tokyo and things to do there off the beaten path. Fluent in Japanese, she narrates the project in Japanese and in English, and serves as a producer as well.

Her talents as a dancer, choreographer and host have brought Inaba opportunities on the big screen. She co-starred as Fook Yu in New Line Cinema's Austin Powers: Gold Member. Her first encounter with Mike Myers was in the company of Heather Graham as Felicity Dancer in Austin Powers II: The Spy Who Shagged Me. She was also featured in such movies as American Virgin and Monster Mash, and as a dancer in Boys and Girls, Flintstones II, Showgirls and Lord of Illusions.

Inaba's choreography credits include a variety of television shows, American Idol, American Juniors, The TV Land Awards, The Swan, Starting Over and Dance Fever, to name a few. In addition her moves can be seen in several music videos, including Ricky Martin's Shake Your Bon Bon. She also worked on the Miss America Pageant for four consecutive years, and on Fashion TV's World Super Model Pageant in Dubai.

Inaba is an extremely successful recording pop artist in Japan. Under her own company, EnterMediArts Inc., she directs, writes and edits digital documentaries and films and is also developing television projects. She created and developed a dance empowerment program for Leeza Gibbons' Memory Foundation, designed for Alzheimer's sufferers and their caregivers. The program was introduced in April 2006, at the opening of Leeza's Place in Hollywood California.

Inaba is a yoga and martial arts devotee and spends a great deal of time writing in her journal and playing piano. A strong advocate of education, she continues to seek ways to educate people about movement, health and fitness. She is native of Hawaii, and she currently resides in Los Angeles.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »
Bruno Tonioli

Bruno Tonioli has served as a judge on the hit ABC reality series Dancing with the Stars for five seasons, and on Strictly Come Dancing, the original UK version of the show, for four seasons. He recently created DanceX, a reality competition looking for the next hot new dancing and singing group in the UK.

A top choreographer in his field, Tonioli has worked on countless films, plays, music videos, commercials, concerts, trade and television shows with such world renowned artists as Elton John, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, Tina Turner and Paul McCartney.

Tonioli left his native northern Italy for the UK to pursue a career in dance. Before becoming a choreographer, he appeared in numerous stage productions and music videos, including Elton John's I'm Still Standing.

He has choreographed many films, including Ella Enchanted, starring Anne Hathaway, Minnie Driver and Joanna Lumley; What a Girl Wants, starring Amanda Byrnes, Colin Firth and Kelly Preston; Enigma, with Kate Winslett, Dougray Scott & Saffron Burroughs; Blow Dry, starring Alan Rickman and Natasha Richardson; Hotel Splendide, starring Toni Colette & Steven Tompkinson; Very AnnyMary!, with Jonathan Pryce and Rachel Griffiths, and Little Voice, starring Jane Horrocks, Michael Caine and Brenda Blethyn.

Tonioli has worked on a long list of music videos, including Sheena Easton's "Giving Up, Giving In," Wycliffe and Bono's "New Day United Nations Video for Kosovo," Culture Club's "Your Kisses are Charity," Elton John's "Please," Sting's "This Cowboy Song," Michael Jackson's "Give it to Me," Tina Turner's "Steam Windows," Rolling Stones' "One Hit," Freddie Mercury's "Great Pretender" and Paul McCartney's "Hope of Deliverance," among others.

His concert credits include Tina Turner, Foreign Affair Tour; Banarama, World Tour; Duran Duran World Tour, Dead or Alive, Japan; and Paul Young, Europe.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
DANCE WAR: BRUNO VS. CARRIE ANN

Dancing with the Stars judges and renowned choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba will put their reputations on the line as they search for America's most talented amateur performers - who can both dance and sing -- in a massive nationwide hunt. They'll create two rival teams and battle it out on the dance floor to form the ultimate performance group, on "Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann," premiering MONDAY, JANUARY 7, 2008 , on the ABC Television Network.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
DANCE WAR:  BRUNO VS. CARRIE ANN PREMIERE'S TONIGHT

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/01/06/2008-01-06_realityshow_dancing__with_a_new_twist_.html

"Dancing With the Stars" judges Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba are trading in their scorecards and donning commentary caps for their new ABC reality competition show, "Dance Wars."

"It's different from 'Dancing With the Stars' be-cause we don't score them; it's totally up to America," Tonioli told the Daily News. "It's more like when you see a sporting event and you have commentators. That's what we're doing."

Fourteen bright-eyed singers/dancers will perform on tomorrow night's two-hour premiere (Ch. 7, 8-10) for the opportunity to join either Tonioli's or Inaba's six-person team. Then, each week, the teams will perform song-and-dance numbers, and America will vote for their favorite. The losing team's mentor will then have to send one mem-ber home. The last team standing will win the opportunity to go on tour with a major recording artist.

Tonioli credits the group aspect of "Dance Wars" as the factor that most sets this show apart from other reality dance competitions."

'So You Think You Can Dance' is a lot about the individuals," said Tonioli.

"This is never individuals. It's up to Carrie Ann and me how we feature individuals within the group, but you always see them performing as a team, and the focus is how they work together, how they help each other, how they enhance each other, all the group dynamics, and how well they work within that group."

Unlike "Dancing With the Stars," "Dance Wars" will feature a wide array of dance styles, from modern to jazz and hip hop to ballet.

"We can do anything we want," Tonioli said. "It's just got to be appropriate to the song.

"Tonioli says the reason they decided to include singingin the competition is that, in the industry, a lot of dancing jobs include a vocal aspect.

"I sang myself," said Tonioli. "I did musicals, I did records here in London, I had a cabaret. A lot of dancershave to sing because of musicals. There's a lot of work in musicals. You'd be surprised at how many dancers can sing."

Working with a team of vocal coaches, musical directors and choreographers, the groups will learn routines each week, but Tonioli and Inaba won't necessarily be involved every step of the way.

"It's up to Carrie Ann and me to make this happen the way we want to see it, but we can't be there every day," Tonioli said. "But we're like the captains of two ships. Or, it's almost liking directing a film; we're like, this is what you'll do."

For Tonioli, who is used to sizing up celebrities, "Dance Wars" is all about finding raw talent."What I would like to achieve is to give kids that would never have the chance to come to Hollywood to do something like this a shot," Tonioli said. "And we're not focusing on the bad. You're not going to see people on the show and say, 'Why are they doing that? They don't have a chance.' They all have talent. It's going to be emotionally quite involving."

Tonioli isn't at all intimidated by his competition in Inaba.

"I know she's going to be good," Tonioli said. "I know she's going to be a tough competitor, but I have to focus on what I want to do. I know she's not going to be a pushover, but I can't really worry about Carrie Ann. I'm just going to go for it and do my best, and hopefully America will vote for me and my team."

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
not sure if anyone else is watching?

this could be a better show if they'd give up recapping everything every week. go ahead and show a few clips of the dancing but they go on and on. i am liking the routines and most of the talent. the big group numbers have been the best. they need to cut out the filler and get the show down to just an hour.

that being said, it was too close for my favorite Zach last night. whew.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
I tried to get into this show, but for some reason I can't.  It's too long for me to sit through.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:12:25 AM »
I tried to get into this show, but for some reason I can't.  It's too long for me to sit through.
Yeah that.  I've watched only a little and there  seems to be some good talent, but it's long n' drawn out.  They really need to shorten it somehow.  I guess it's more difficult to shorten since they perform in groups with both dance AND song. 

I have no idea what their ratings have been, but imo...I don't think it will become a regular.  DWTS is the best dance show :tup:  ...followed by So You Think You Can Dance. :tup: 

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »
Yeah that.  I've watched only a little and there  seems to be some good talent, but it's long n' drawn out.  They really need to shorten it somehow.  I guess it's more difficult to shorten since they perform in groups with both dance AND song. 

I have no idea what their ratings have been, but imo...I don't think it will become a regular.  DWTS is the best dance show :tup:  ...followed by So You Think You Can Dance. :tup: 

:-* Same here I watched a little bit of the first episode and a little of the second it just doesn't do anything for me either ;)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »
If there are no other shows on that I like better, I'll watch War till the end or at least the last eps to see who wins.  Honestly, I have never liked Bruno much...even on DWTS.  His mannerisms bug me.  I'm sure he knows his stuff, but wouldn't want to be one of his students!

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:54:09 AM »
My mom and family (besides me) are huge DWTS fans. And so for some reason I watch bits and pieces of this. My faves are Kelsey and Zach and of course they are on Brunos team.

I have to say, I have heard alot of rumors that Carrie Ann in general is the more favored among fans and I guess for me, it seems to just becoming more of a popularity contest. Now I say that, as a non dancer but I think I see it more and more. I think that Bruno has tried just as hard as Carrie Ann and has the dancers and singers to do it. Carrie Ann seems more dancey (so not a word) and I never really see that much singing coming from her team. I think Bruno has the better mixture.

But thats just my opinion. I will stick to singing :lol: