Author Topic: EP 9: "I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak On Us"  (Read 113249 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP 9: "I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak On Us"
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
:angel:  The gates appear to be similar to gates at the JR station (Kansai Airport).  Probably not at airport, but could be another JR station in Osaka.  (Doesn't match any Osaka Subway gates I've googled, yet.)   ;D

JR = Japan Rail

Lets try this again

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »
As much as I would love for them to go to Kyoto too, I think that the "train station" comment probably was referring to the train station as in subway train...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2008, 01:38:11 AM »
As much as I would love for them to go to Kyoto too, I think that the "train station" comment probably was referring to the train station as in subway train...
It maybe editing too. We're led to believe that Nick asks Don if hes OK in the cab after they search the castle grounds for what we think is looking for a clue, maybe all tasks are done and they are heading to the pitstop/train to somewhere?  :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2008, 04:19:02 AM »
heeee...a gif for Boingo and his drum!  :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »

:umn:  OK, lets analyze this vidcap, shall we.  Cris is not wearing her backpack, and she has an (unopened) clue in her hand.  She can't open/read the clue without her partner close by.  Maybe she just finished a task, got her clue and looks toward Ron.  What she's doing in a subway/train station is anyone's guess, but probably not going anywhere far without her backpack.   :duno:  OK, my brain is overheating again, got to stop.   :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »
We can find this right? good thinking Boingo because the same here -- Jen with clue in hand, no backpack might have just completed the roadblock or is starting? long shot the person deep in the background is Christine, green shirt black pants  :res:.  What are those 4 yellow lines on the ground for?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »

:umn:  OK, lets analyze this vidcap, shall we.  Cris is not wearing her backpack, and she has an (unopened) clue in her hand.  She can't open/read the clue without her partner close by.  Maybe she just finished a task, got her clue and looks toward Ron.  What she's doing in a subway/train station is anyone's guess, but probably not going anywhere far without her backpack.   :duno:  OK, my brain is overheating again, got to stop.   :lol:

Perhaps it's after the taxi roadblock - for this roadblock, it could be stipulated that backpacks must be left with the non-participating racers (or else it might just be in the trunk, I dunno).

I think that the subway/train station is the start/finish of the roadblock - it is a place where one should be able to find a taxi relatively easily and it matches up with Don's comment on how he can get water at the (train) station. Not to mention the fact that since Don needs water, it could be the "health issue" that leads Nick to take the roadblock. For the actual roadblock, I would guess that they have to earn a certain amount of money without pissing off the customers.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »

Service information for the blue and green lines would put us... in Honmachi?

And that could potentially explain the Rennyo and the Hard Rock Cafe! (Nick and Don are standing outside Exit 9, while the temple is on Exit 2.)

Have fun clicking around, the station is HUGE, and the station diagrams are... incredible!

On the yellow lines by Puddin: those are markers for the visually-impaired, kind of a geographical version of Braille to guide commuters to the gantries and to the train platforms. Kind of in wide usage throughout East and Southeast Asia...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:45:19 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
Thanks Neobie, I love your little race like arrow  :kuss:

Is that a "H" ? I was looking for Hilton but it might not even be "H" for all I know :lol3:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
 :lol: I found the same blue & green signs in the JR Osaka Station  ;D

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
Didn't I see a GE of the Osaka airport on an isthmus in the bay?  How do racers get from the airport to downtown?  Subway train?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »
Unless they backtrack, they'll probably go to Kishiwada first. There's a station at Kishiwada (and KIX Kansai), but I'm guessing they'll go by cab.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2008, 11:54:01 AM »
Didn't I see a GE of the Osaka airport on an isthmus in the bay?  How do racers get from the airport to downtown?  Subway train?

They take a taxi from the airport

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »
Right you are, gator27. Here is an excerpt from an airport guide for Osaka:

Osaka, Japan

Kansai International Airport (KIX)
Located on a spectacular artificial island in the waters of Osaka Bay, one of the largest natural harbours on Japan's coast, KIX serves Kansai, an area that includes the cities of Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe and Wakayama.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
"I dunno", maybe I'm an idiot ~

KITAHAMA,Osaka

ETA: darn confusing Japenese! Boingo says this is what its called not KITAHAMA http://www.cityroute.jp/

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:21:34 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »
Just because :badhorse:

Large Bronze Statue of Rennyo Shonin at the 16th Century Buddhist temple of Kito Mida - Rennyo (蓮如, Rennyo) (1415-1499) was the 8th abbot of the Jōdo Shinshū sect of Buddhism and is often referred to as the restorer of the sect (or, the second founder), and for this is also referred to as Rennyo Shonin ("eminent monk"). Rennyo is responsible for a revitalization period in Jōdo Shinshū history where in which the religion was popularized for the masses. Despite being a pacifist, his populist attitude and charismatic preaching indirectly and inadvertently led into the Ikkō-ikki revolts in which mobs of monks, peasants and farmers launched organized attacks on their feudal rulers. He was also known as Shinshō-in (信証院), and posthumously Etō Daishi (慧灯大師).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
Darn! From my friend in Osaka--

First time that I've been able to get on email since we got back to Osaka and unfortunately it is Friday night and we are leaving on the bullet train first thing tomorrow morning to get back to Tokyo and catch our plane. I've kept my eyes open and we've hit quite a few temples and shrines, but have not seen the drum.  Wish I had time to get by the Kitamaido Shrine, but it is not possible.  Sorry.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »
 :lol3:  hee-hee puddin, I think the "Kitahama" refers to the "street or area" as in "Kitahama 4-Chome, Osaka"   :lol:   Guess we keep on lookin'.

Must be a conspiracy against TAR detectives.   :snicker:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »
 :js:  OK, let's get serious....  :lol3:    Looking closely at those "windows", looks like it's slightly arched.  It's rather large, as we only see about half the arch.  The yellow "seeing impaired bumps" on the pavement suggest a "public" area such as a train/subway station.   The opening is quite wide.

:groan: Not that we haven't figured all that out already.   :angel:   Nothing like beating a "dead horse".

BTW: what's up with that guy in the red jumpsuit with a "hoover" strapped to his back?   :lol:   :lol3:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:13:38 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »
For all I flippin know all those Hotels or buildings have that thingywhatevermajig in the front Boingo .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »
:js:  OK, let's get serious....  :lol3:    Looking closely at those "windows", looks like it's slightly arched.  It's rather large, as we only see about half the arch.  The yellow "seeing impaired bumps" on the pavement suggest a "public" area such as a train/subway station.   The opening is quite wide.

:groan: Not that we haven't figured all that out already.   :angel:   Nothing like beating a "dead horse".

BTW: what's up with that guy in the red jumpsuit with a "hoover" strapped to his back?   :lol:   :lol3:
Well there is a pink awning in the background  :lol:

Offline colav10

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
Check out this episode synopsis:

I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak on Us: One racer is too tired to perform at a roadblock; another racer is livid when the taxi drivers lets the team out in the wrong spot; one team is eliminated.

All those that say this episode is a nonelim, please note that the description clearly states a team will be eliminated.

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »
Maybe that's why it says 1,000,000 on some of the pictures. It's like...Which team will get the chance to win the 1,000,000.
TAR Top 6 FavoriteTeams -

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »
Check out this episode synopsis:

I Just Hope He Doesn't Croak on Us: One racer is too tired to perform at a roadblock; another racer is livid when the taxi drivers lets the team out in the wrong spot; one team is eliminated.

All those that say this episode is a nonelim, please note that the description clearly states a team will be eliminated.

So, that means that a team's actually eliminated?  If I'd known that when I made my prediction, I wouldn't have said it was a non-elimination leg!  I sure hope it's not Ron & Christina who get eliminated!  T.K. & Rachel or Nicholas & Donald will do, and certainly Nathan & Jennifer will do for me!  But I know that the Bickersons won't be eliminated, sad to say.

Belle Book

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
It doesn't at all, since the airport arrival times I have are 1750 and 1905. By the following afternoon, I expect teams to either be in Taipei or in a pitstop in Osaka.

If the teams arrive in Osaka at either 5:50PM or 7:05PM and it is estimated that they are in Taiwan late the next afternoon, how can Chateau's estimated times of between 3:53 and 5:24 be correct.

Are you challenging the accuracy of our time garu?  He hasn't been wrong yet!