Author Topic: Duel  (Read 5245 times)

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
Duel
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
Anyone going to watch this show tonight?  I saw the first 8 minutes of it on Yahoo.com and it looks exciting.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: Duel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »
Anyone going to watch this show tonight?  I saw the first 8 minutes of it on Yahoo.com and it looks exciting.

I'll probably give it a try since there isn't much on TV now due to the strike and holiday stuff. It's only on for six nights this week, right?

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
Yeah, it's on from Monday - Saturday night.  I was a bit surprised when I heard tonight's episode is an hour and a half long, but I don't care, it looks good.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »
TheCinera, I taped last night and haven't watched it yet but will this afternoon. I want to caution you that Duel is on 6 nights, but they are Monday through Friday and Sunday, not Saturday.

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember the host kept saying the final show was on Sunday night, but I kept thinking that six nights meant it was going until Saturday.  Whoops!  My bad.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:56:55 AM »
I watched Duel last night and I enjoyed it. Will watch it for the rest of the week except that I will have to miss the last half hour tonight because I'm going to watch the Biggest Loser finale.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
I just watched my tape of the inaguaral program of the series of 6 of Duel. The way it works is a little bit complicated compared to other game shows:

1. An initial contestant is chosen randomly.
2. That contestant gets to choose an opponent from among 3 randomly chosen of the 40 odd contestants.
3. The first contestant Sue picks Marco because he seems the dumbest of the 3 offered(I agree with her assessment).
4. The game setup has them opposite each other. Each receives 10 chips to cover any of 4 answers which they think could be correct to a question. They can use 1, 2, 3 or 4 but when they run low they will be at a huge disadvantage.
5. A dueler may PRESS his/her opponent twice in a session by hitting a special button which gives that opponent only 7 seconds to make their choices. You do this when youknow the answer and think they don't know it.
6. Any chips on wrong answers are removed and each one counts as $5000 toward the final pot. Any chips left when the opponent is defeated count in your own personal stash.
7. A shield to prevent the opponent from seeing your choices and vice-versa is raised just before each question is asked.
8. Anyone getting the question wrong is out unless they both do; then there is sudden death overtime to eliminate one.

Questions are typically comparable in difficulty to the $2000 to $25000 range in Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

So, Sue is behind for much of the first duel, but a question comes up that she knows and Marco doesn't and he is eliminated. Sue has the option of choosing a computer guy, an author, or a lawyer, two of which she had not selected when they were in the first pool. She picks Denise the lawyer. They had duplicates answers for the first several rounds. it is totally spooky. The decisive question is about Scoville units, which measure the hotness of peppers. Denise knows this immediately and PRESSes. Sue does not know it and picks the wrong answers, which eliminates her.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:03 PM »
It appears that my TV guide was wrong on how long Duel was last night. it was 90 minutes and I only taped 60 minutes, so I missed Denise up against Monica. it goes to the first-ever shoot-out and Monica eliminates Denise.

Tonight Monica starts by making a choice among Julie, a suburban housewife, and a used car salesman(who I would have picked but more on him later), and a children's book author. She picks Julie, who then reveals that she is a former member of MENSA. She plays like it and easily takes out Monica. Julie then has a choice of 2 men and Sherry, a funeral home owner. She goes with the girl-power theme and chooses Sherry, obviously scared at what the men might be able to do. She easily defeats Sherry. She again gets the choice of a rocker Johnny and the author and Karla a nurse and chooses Karla. In one question Julie is gone; it was what is the sum of the # of reindeer including Rudolph and the number of days in Hanukah(9 + 8 = 17 is correct). This gives Karla $45,000. She will need it because she makes the mistake of thinking that Robert the used car salesman is an easy mark. It turns out that despite his Appalachian roots he memorized the encyclopedia Britannica at age 4. Robert wins easily and picks Johnny the rocker over an old male taxi cab driver and a female middle age university administrator. The game is just starting as tonight's show ends.

There are 4 chairs for the leading contenders for the final round. People who lose are eligible to go there if they can displace anyone already there. Right now Denise is in the #1 chair with 2 duels and $30,000. Karla is in the #2 chair with 1 duel and $45,000. It is not clear how a duel is worth more than money. Sue is in the #3 chair with $10,000 and 1 duel. The prize money builds as chips are taken off with every wrong answer. The pot is now up to $480,000 after only 3 hours of play.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »
Robert and Johnny duel until a geography question separates the man from the boy. That question was "which is the northernmost of the lower 48 states?" Answer choices were Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Washington. A trivial question for any geography buff, who know that the answer is Lake-or-the-Woods, Minnesota. Johnny put his faith in Maine and Michigan. Robert had Maine, Michigan and Minnesota, so he won his 3rd straight duel.

Robert got to choose his next opponent and he selected a female belly dancer. After she came up it was revealed that she is currently in college with an above 4.0 grade point average. The critical question was also geography. It was how many states have two word names. Robert chose 7 and 8. Emily choose 10 and 12. I was thinking Robert was going to win, based on all the News and Norths and Souths. And he would have except for Rhode Island and West Virginia, which upped the total from 8 to 10 and eliminated him. He still got to occupy the #1 chair based on winning 3 duels.

Emily got to pick her next opponent and she picked Tammy the college administrator. Their duel is just starting as tonight's show ends.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »
The Emily/Tammy duel ends quickly as a geography question decides it. It was which of these states is NOT part of the 4 corners: UT AZ CO NV. The missing 4th corner is NM and the bad apple is of course NV. Emily loses and Tammy takes the helm. She picks Robert the Telemarketer and loses to him. Robert then picks Stephen the Cab Driver and Stephen clean his clock. Stephen then goes up against Chris the Umpire, who takes him out. Chris the Umpire selects Ashlee the nurse, who also has a B.S. biology to go with her B.S. Nursing. She is sharp enough to take him out on the first quesiton, which is about which of 4 women makes the most money from acting annually after Oprah.  the choices are Ellen Degeneres, Judge Judy, Katie Couric, and another actress. Chris selects all except Judy Judy. Ashlee selects all, but answers the host that she thinks it is Judge Judy. It is Judge Judy indeed by a factor of about 2($30 million).  Ashlee selects as an opponent Kimberly but time runs out. The pool has grown to $1,060,000 for the champioinship round on Sunday. It looks like it might reach $1.4 million after Friday night's duels.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:10:16 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
Ashlee defeats Kimberly based on the number of events in the Olympic decathlon minus the number of player in Olympic beach volleyball. the answer is 8. She then chooses Ken the Alligator wrestler and he beats her in a close duel based on # of Dwarfs + # of houses blown down by the Big Bad Wolf.  Ken knows that it is 7 + 2 = 9 while Ashlee had 7 + 3 = 10. Ken chooses Ann the Litigation Assistant. Their duel comes down to the English translation of the Latin word "alma mater" which is nourishing mother and he wins, guaranteeing him the fourth seat for a brief while. He chooses Fire Captain Jim who he will face twice in a row if Jim beats him the first time. The critical question is what was the product for the first-ever television commercial. Ken picks Campbell's Soup and Playtex Bra. Jim dallies, change his mind and then changes it again to get the right answer Bulova Watch, which was on before a Brooklyn Dodgers baseball game in 1941. That means a second game between those two for the fourth chair, but time runs out. The host announces that that duel is start the show on Sunday before the Final 4 play for the pot of over 1.4 million. Several potential players were never picked at all, including the Author and the Air Force Captain and the Computer Engineer, all of whom were offered up at least 4 times. They were judged as too tough and never got to play.

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »
I really like Robert, the Used Car Salesman from Canada, KY.  I hope he wins. 

Anyone still watching this?  I see you are, apskip!  Anyone else?

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
I watched the whole week and the finale tonight was AWESOME! It was very nerve-wrecking and shocking as well! I really did enjoy watching that show all week and hope they do come back and do it again in the near future!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 10:43:21 PM »
We open with the rematch between Ken and Jim. The deciding question, a fairly easy one, is "how many months have 31 days?" Jim does not get the correct answer 7 and is eliminated; Ken gets the coveted 4th chair.

Robert as the #1 seed is given the pick of any of the the other 3 to play against. He picks Ken, who is worn out. The deciding question is which company invented the phrase "always a bridesmaind, never a bride." Ken covers all choices but Listerine, as he says there is no way that it could be that. Robert covers them all. The answer is Listerine's 1920s ad campaign, which add millions of dollars to their sales as they convinced woman that they must conquer bad breath to achieve happiness. Ken is gone.

Ashlee now play off against Julie. The crucial question on their last chip is the definition of MI5. Ashlee correctly says Military Intelligence while Julie goes for Majesty's Information. Julie is gone.

There is $1.69 million in the pot as Robert faces Ashlee for the total pot. The very first question decides it. Ashlee covers everything. Robert reacts to the question "Which weighs the most? gallon of water, gallon of crude oil, gallon of vegetable oil, all weigh the same" by leaving gallon of water uncovered. When the host plays with him about that by asking him what happens when crude oil is poured onto water, Robert realizes he may have made a crucial error. He has, as water is the answer and Ashlee wins. When her personal winnings are combined with the chips released from that question and the $1.69 million, she wins a total of $1.795 million.

I did my own little study of specfic gravity, the ratio of weight compared to water. Water is of course 1.0. Vegetable oil is 0.918. Crude oils vary, with a Texas crude at 0.876, a California crude at 0.918, and a Mexican crude at 0.976. Any way you look at it water is the heaviest, which I find surprising based on its extemely low viscosity.

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 08:55:55 AM »
I was disappointed in Robert.  I wish he could have won the entire jackpot.

I hope they renew this series.  I enjoyed watching this.  It's a fresh game show to watch on TV other than Deal or No Deal.  I just hope ABC doesn't milk this game show out like DOND.