Author Topic: Lucky TAR 13 Talk!  (Read 187256 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Lucky TAR 13 Talk!
« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2008, 09:23:10 AM »
This is verified is of vital importance. I wonder if they were watching Amazing Race Asia 3. I don't think that AR13 would have gotten there undetected, although it is possible if going westward from the U.S.

Please keep us informed as best you can, amazing_hey.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Thanks for the detective work amazing__hey!!

We know that Phil was cycling in NZ on Sun 3/16.

Could he have gotten from NZ to a theoretical west coast departure city in time for pre-departure publicity shoots, which are usually 1-2 days beforehand, and still have made it to HK for this sighting on 3/20?

Hopefully apskip can tell us if it is in fact feasible from an airline point of view, although the schedule seems quite tight to me, and would mean that HK was the first city.

I do believe that HK has a corporate team building type local version race, so perhaps it was something to do with that instead.

And I thought TARA3 was still casting? ???  Wasn't the deadline extended? We also need to check on that.

So lets take this with a grain of salt, but use all of our resources to confirm or deny this!

Off to check some of my sources! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
In answer to Peach's question, here is some flight work relevant to the answer, which is YES HE CAN DO IT:

The flight from Christchurch via Auckland is 0 hours on the clock and with the 20 hour time zone difference between New Zealand and LA that makes the total flying time 20 hours(long connection in Auckland). The nonstop flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong into the jet stream is just 15 hours.  The total flying time of about 25 hours makes it easy to fit into 4 days along with 2 days at the starting point.

Air New Zealand flights 620 and 6 originate at 1115 on March 16 and arrive LA 1110 on the 16th. For the 17th, the choices out of Auckland(add an appropriate and shorter connection for non-Sunday flights CHC to AKL) are:

QF26 1855 1045 same day
NZ2   2230 1430 same day
NZ8  1915 1130 same day

Choices LA to HKG are:

CX886 1220 to 1855 +1
CX883 2320 to 0540 +2
UA887 1210 to 1840 +1

Phil would leave LAX on the 18th or 19th. That gives him 2 days to do his thing in Los Angeles. There is no other West Coast city where there has the same feasibility. However, San Francisco has a nonstop flight to HKG and a  nonstop flight in from Auckland. The extra hour flying time to San Francisco could be important. However, since Los Angeles has opened Amazing Race before and San Francisco has not, I actually think if this scenario is correct that it would be through San Francsisco, so here are those flights:

NZ90 1115 - 1235 CHC AKL, connect to NZ8 1930 1145 AKL SFO same for either March 16 or 17 except shorter CHC to AKL connection on 17th

CX879 1305 1900 +1 SFO HKG
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:28:20 PM by apskip »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
Thanks and nice effort amazing_hey! :sucks

Just a translation job from the original poster, lokhinterr, for you guys to pick apart:

"It was a couple of days back when I saw two Caucasian women at Central MTR Station, buying tickets for the subway. They were wearing vests/singlets and shorts, carrying big backpacks, and holding a yellow envelope labelled 'The Amazing Race'."

and...

"It was at the ticket machines between Exits C & D, at around noon last Thursday. Maybe they even caught me on camera!"

and when asked why he/she didn't stalk the racers...

"I've got work to return to!"

Someone postulated that they could have made it to Central on the Airport Express, changed trains to Tsim Sha Tsui, and again to catch the train up to Mainland China... But I'm not sure if that requires buying extra tickets at Central...

amazing_hey, same luck here with bumping into TAR, eh?

Random from that site:

Where TAR met TAR:A... Is this Prague?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:31:15 AM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
Neobie:

I can't tell you if that is Prague airport, but I can tell you that an analysis I published in an appropriate thread(I can't remember which one) concluded that the morning that the two AR12 teams were essentially stranded in Prague airport could not have overlapped at all with the ARA2 tems that were never near Prague airport but came in and out of its train station.

The crossing of the two races was a myth, although they were in the same city at the same time.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
In answer to Peach's question, here is some flight work relevant to the answer, which is YES HE CAN DO IT:

Phil would leave on the 18th. That gives him 2 to 2.5 days to do his thing in Los Angeles. There is no other West Coast city where there has the same feasibility. However, San Francisco has a nonstop flight to HKG and a  nonstop flight in from Auckland. The extra hour flying time to San Francisco could be important. However, since Los Angeles has opened Amazing Race before and San Francisco has not, I actually think if this scenario is correct that it would be through San Francsisco, so here are those flights:

OK.  Now those people with the know about LAX and SFO can we find if a filming permit was issued for any of the days in question:  March 20 21 or thereabouts?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
Not quite, GMAN. If Phil left the morning of the AR13 start it had to be no later than March 19 to be in Hong Kong by March 20 in the early evening. Teams would be long gone from either SFO or LAX by March 20. The search for the permit has to be for March 18 or 19.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
Apskip, I think that Phil is still doing the cycling race on the 16th, so need to assume the 17th for him to leave NZ.

And the sighting is for noon on the 20th so need them there by that AM or the night before..

G-man, the dates for CA airports would have to be prob the 18th if we think they need to be there by early morning on the 20th., and yes, will call if this seems probable.

Have some other ways of checking this out first that may be quicker and more definitive. ;)

This remains only a possible sighting--much work to do before we get too excited here guys.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
umm guys dont think it was them per this job listing. they send tapes back and start working on it right away

job start: April 7    job end: May 30
total weeks: 7

show name: Confidential
network: CBS

company: WRP

job description:

Multiple award winning reality show is looking for a few hard-working loggers and transcribers. The transcribers will be responsible for handling all the cast interviews and otf's and the loggers will be responsible for transcribing reality as it happens.

We're interested in people who have Pilotware experience, however we will train you in the system if you've never used it before.

A small crew will be needed to start April 7th, the rest of the crew will begin April 21st.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
Great find kogs!!  :yess:  And that fits tons better with the other resumes!

Oh boy though, it is coming! :hearts:

This was just to be sure we were on our toes! :lol:

What's otf??

Heee...anybody here have Pilotware experience?? :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
Peach, I can think of 2 possibilities for otf that make sense:

1. OTF is a three-character combination that may refer to: The OpenType standard for digital typography, which uses font files with the file extension .otf; Output Text Format , R/3 ...

2. On the Fly

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »
Peach, I can think of 2 possibilities for otf that make sense:

1. OTF is a three-character combination that may refer to: The OpenType standard for digital typography, which uses font files with the file extension .otf; Output Text Format , R/3 ...

2. On the Fly

Off the film?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »
Apskip has it right: On The Fly:waves:
A quick, impromptu interview of a reality show contestant intended to convey the contestant's emotions and actions in the moment, as opposed to the more reflective sit-down interview. An OTF is always shot with a handheld camera, sometimes even in motion—while walking and talking—and often in a moving vehicle.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
A small crew will be needed to start April 7th, the rest of the crew will begin April 21st.

I read this as start day will be April 21st. 

That's a day I can relate to  :snicker:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
Correction, make that April 20th, because it should be a Sunday.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
Thanks for that link Slowhatch--interesting!

I can't wait! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »

reading it like that would tell me the race begins either april 4th or april 18

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »
umm guys dont think it was them per this job listing. they send tapes back and start working on it right away

job start: April 7    job end: May 30
total weeks: 7

show name: Confidential
network: CBS

company: WRP

job description:

Multiple award winning reality show is looking for a few hard-working loggers and transcribers. The transcribers will be responsible for handling all the cast interviews and otf's and the loggers will be responsible for transcribing reality as it happens.

We're interested in people who have Pilotware experience, however we will train you in the system if you've never used it before.

This makes much better sense and fits into what we have been looking forward to.  A possible MARCH 18 - 20th start just seems to have been much much too early.  But this fits nicely with a speculated late April or early May start.  So if the gang gets together on April 20th or 21st is it still looking like LAX or SFO?  But now it could be anywhere in the 50 United States.  And there is still that way out there speculation of the teams actually leaving the USofA  incongnito and meeting together with Phil somewhere overseas.  Belize, for example.

The April 7 start with a small crew could be for the pre-departure, at-home interviews.  The larger crew would be needed on April 21 to May 30 to handle the many multiple camera shoots with the teams in action.

Added thought:  how about one of our West Coast spies applying for the job???
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:41:38 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »

But that is Passover which might cause a problem with crews, etc.

Offline TheScandinavianAmazingR.

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Best Survivor ever.............Ozzy
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »
I have heard that Boston is gonna be the Starting City. And that they are finally going to Denmark this time around!!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
Boston on April 21st is not a good idea.

But, what can I say?  It's a Race

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
I have heard that Boston is gonna be the Starting City. And that they are finally going to Denmark this time around!!

Hi Lars!

We all hope that TAR will come to our hometown one day.

And we always welcome new spoiler info here from new and old posters alike.

BUT! We take our spoilers very, very seriously here.

So in order to have any credibility here, you (and all of us spoiler posters) do need to tell us a little more.

"Heard" where? If this is a rumor on a message board, tell us that! Show us the source. Give us the link so we can research it more.

If you read it somewhere, show us where!

If this comes from factual info such as a film permit, a photo, or a source, tell us that.

If you have a private source that you can't quote publicly, you can tell one of us that in PM's privately and expect complete guaranteed confidentiality.

So tell us as much as you can and help us to take the info to the next level, okay?

But Boston?  :groan: :groan: We ALL heard Boston last time because that was WRP's "misdirection" city. Fake car hire, fake info...They wanted us to think Boston. Hopefully they'll be more creative this time! :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2008, 07:08:54 PM »
Hey its still there btw

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:25:12 PM by puddin »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
Hey its still there btw

Puddin, you're just the one to apply for the job!  Six-week vacation in LaLaLand :jumpy:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
I can't wait

"I'M STANDING HIGH ABOVE THE CITY OF BOSTON...where 11 TEAMS OF TWO ARE ABOUT TO EMBARK ON A RACE AROUND THE WORLD"