Author Topic: EP6 commentary  (Read 46093 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP6 commentary
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2007, 08:23:46 PM »
Emmy. Award. Winning. Episode.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
NEXT TIME ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:
(Sorry, I don't have the DVR tonight, to replay the preview!)

Phil: Don is stunned by a Fast Forward.
Don: This could be bad.
Nic: Come on!
Don: I don't know if I can do it.

Phil: ... and Kynt loses faith in Vyxsin.
Kynt, in the back: Stop this car, Vyxsin! Right now! Stop

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
What the hell.  How can Ron give a huge shout out to Charla & Mirna about the reward, and yet never think to follow a cab.

They did that in 11 out of 13 legs.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »
I have several observations about the editing of this episode, which has the highest quotient of lies I ever saw:

1. Teams did not check into the Lithuania pitstop at 1pm, etc. The flight did not even arrive there until 125pm, so it was totally ridiculous.

2. This looks like a non-standard pitstop time, beacuse with the known time range (maybe 6pm to 9pm) that teams did check in, that got compressed into a range of 100am to 135am on the release times.

3. All of the airline flight maps showing flights direct into Dubrovnik from Warsaw and Prague are pure fiction. Flights from all those cities have to funnel through Zagreb. The 1120am flight was from Vienna. The flight from Frankfurt could have been nonstop into Dubrovnik, but the only one is late afternoon and Nic and donald would have been out if they had actually taken that and not gone via Frankfurt and Zagreb.

4. All those pictures of 747s landing at Dubrovnik are also fiction. The runway can accommodate them, but no airline has a load factor high enough to justify the use of a 747 into a place that can only support 3 to 5 much smaller plane flights in a day. Also, Emirates Airways has no flights into Dubrovnik or Zagreb.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
Give em hell apskip.

And while I can't comment on flights.

This season has had a high number of non standard Pit Stops.  I think a record with this number of legs.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2007, 10:15:13 PM »
just got in from a crimbo party  :cmas26 finally got to watch the episode

nice shout out to LOT

knew it had to be a non standard pit stop, I guess we can take nothing for granted now. TPTB are taking no chances with a team getting a super early flight.

WTF with JeNate have they watched no TAR's I knew as they jumped in the private car they would get penalized I bet the camera/sound man were loving it.  What is it with this team did they plan to self destruct on this race.  Anyway I'm loving them (sorry, I know its mean and I should rise above but come on a private cab for gods sake)  I really don't want them gone just yet, they are too comedic not to watch.  Even hubby not a watcher of the show is a Jen fan as in what will she pull next.  i loved her second check in with phil...

Also liked ron's shout out to Shirma

another glass of wine and to watch the show again   :xmas49

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
mswood, you will find a huge present waiting for you under the Christmas tree in Timelines. You may open immediately, as it could be useful in things you are about to do.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »
Cool aspkip, will check it out in about 15 minutes (when the episode finish here).

Just two quick comments while watching.

1.  Ronald & Christina become the first parent/child team to win a leg of the Amazing Race.

2.  And Jennifer is the one who does ask the local for the ride.  SO she can't blame Nathan for that one.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
So...what's a crimbo party? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mrspreacher

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2007, 11:12:55 PM »
I check this website all the time and I just want to say you guys are awesome. :cmas16  Just reading about the information on flights and timelines and you all even figure out exact times from shadows-it makes my head spin!!

What I came to say was, has anyone noticed that any episode(and this has happened three times now)the goths mention wanting to come in first or thinking they will-they end up in second??  The first minute of the episode I guessed they would come in second.  I know it means absolutely nothing but I just thought it was interesting.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »
So...what's a crimbo party? ???

lol

crimbo = christmas

brit slang sorry  :-[ too much crimbo cheer

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2007, 11:20:02 PM »
Because I love this board, I give you a sneak preview of this recap. It's written through the silly airport drama. I will finish this on Monday. You don't have the pictures or links to go along with it, but of course, you'll see them with the finished product.

We begin in Vilnius, Lithuania, the 5th pit stop in this whirlwind race around the world.Six teams remain after Shana & Jennifer were eliminated. We know from last week that TK & Rachel arrived first and were rewarded with (dreaded product placement ahead) a 10 day trip to Japan courtesy of Travelocity.

Because they were the first to allegedly arrive at 1 p.m., TK & Rachel will leave 12 hours later at 1 a.m.

They find that they'll leave Vilnius and fly 900 miles to Dubrovnik, Croatia. From there, they'll travel to the base of the Fort of St. Lawrence, which looks totally cool from the picture you see here, where they will find their clue. Teams receive $109 dollars for this leg of the race.

Just one minute later, our lovely Goths, Kynt & Vyxsin get their clue to meet up with TK & Rachel to head to the airport.

TK says he keeps a cool head in the race not because it's for the race, but because that's the way he is and Rachel adds it's best for their relationship. Isn't that the truth? Too many times in this race, we've seen couples with a volatile dynamic crumble before our eyes. Peter & Sarah from TAR10 comes to mind as a prime example. They essentially broke up on the mat when they were eliminated. Are you listening, Nathan & Jen?

Anyway, Rachel says Croatia sounds like a place where gymnasts come from. No, it's where hot tennis players come from. So we continue.

As the Goths try to keep up with TK & Rachel, Kynt who's wearing a matching pink hat with our lovely Vyxsin says they've not had the pleasure of hearing Phil say they're team number one. They'd like to change that today.

Ron & Christina leave third and they, meaning he, decides not to take a taxi and they run over to a hotel to make reservations for a flight to Dubrovnik. There are times when the ugly Ronald rears its ugly head, but Christina is getting better at nipping it in the bud, before it gets out of hand. We all remember what happened in the second leg when Ron kept criticizing Christina until she almost wilted. Well, she's speaking up and keeping Ron in check. As they get to the hotel, Ron asks nicely to use a phone for a long distance call and Christina points out how nice he was to the clerk thus, he should be nice to her. Yeah!

Azaria & Hendekea are the 4th to leave the pit stop. This team has been strong, but as Hendekea notes, Azaria has a tendency to be a control freak. And really imposes his will on Hendekea. This is the part of this team I don't like. The way he gets into his sister's face and doesn't realize she's all grown up and not this dainty flower. All older brothers feel this way about their younger sisters, but you do have to realize that the girl can take care of herself. It's easier said than done, but Azaria can get arrogant. I speak from personal knowledge as I have two younger sisters, but it's tough to realize they're not babies anymore. As I get off my soapbox, we move on.

TK & Rach and the Goths get to the airport where they research the internet. Kynt says he identifies with TK & Rachel because they go off the beaten path like he and Vyxsin and I have to agree. Both teams have been on even keels throughout this race and have not allowed arguments to get in their ways. They find flights the earliest flight through Czech Airlines of which the ticket office at the airport opens at 4;30 a.m. TK & Rachel start forming the line there while the Goths keep looking for more flights at the computer.

Ron & Christina are able to reserve a flight from LOT Polish Airlines leaving Vilnius at 6:25 a.m. arriving in Dubrovnik at 11:25 that same morning.

Next to leave are Nathan & Jennifer. Now Jennifer says she's been enjoying the race, but she does have a regret, the fighting that she and Nathan have been doing throughout. And she says the deciding factor of whether they stay together is how they get along on the race. Darling? If you use this as a measuring stick for your relationship, then it's already half in the bag. As I've mentioned, we've seen relationships go by the wayside on the race. Wil & Tara (well, that was finished before it had a chance to rekindle), Lenny & Karen, the aforementioned Peter & Sarah and so many others that this relationship is about even money to break up as well. We'll see.

Azaria & Hendekea finally arrive at the airport and notice TK & Rachel sleeping in front of the Czech Airlines office. They decide to wait as well.

Last to leave the pit stop are Nicolas & Donald. This team has been fun to watch, but at the same time, sad as well because the older Donald has had to do so many physical tasks while Nicolas has been content to watch on the sidelines. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't volunteered to do more, but I don't think he has any common sense to take the burden off his grandfather. Let's see if this trend continues in this leg. Donald says he doesn't like last place and it's inspired him to give it his all.

Ronald & Christina decide when they arrive at the airport that even though they had reserved their ticket, they would line up with TK & Rachel and Azaria & Hendekea just to make sure they got a guaranteed spot on the plane. Good idea. Never leave things to chance, especially in the race because you never know. That's our moral for today. Always check. This will come into play later on.

So eventually, the other two teams catch up and jump in line while Kynt & Vyxsin continue to search for flights on the internet. This begins some 10 minutes of airport drama that I would like to skip, but I'll chronicle it for you because I've gone this far, I might as well finish it.

Kynt & Vyxsin finally notice that the other teams have lined up at the Czech Airport ticket office and he wonders why they've done that. Vyxsin replies with the line you see at the left. This is the reason why they're such a strong team. They don't assume anything and they keep checking. So they decide correctly to go to a travel agent at the airport that handles more than one airline to see if they can't find a better flight than the Czech Airline option. This is why the Goths are my odds-on favorite to win this race. They're thorough. They're fans of the race and know never to assume their first option is the best one. Of course, my odds-on favorite has lost all but once (BJ & Tyler were the only favorites of mine to win the US version and I did pick Joe Jer & Zabrina in the Amazing Race Asia, but that was before I had this blog, so you can throw out my opinions on this) so you can pretty much assume the Goths will be out soon.

Over to the line at the Czech Airlines ticket office, Christina shares information with the siblings and instructs Azaria to call Lot Polish Airlines. Christina says the siblings are the only ones she can trust, so she covertly gives Azaria the particulars so he and Hendekea can make a phone call.

Kynt & Vyxsin go to the travel agent (check out the pink lights to match their pink hats) to check out flights. This does not go unnoticed by the other teams. Christina spots them and wonders if they're getting tickets. Vyxsin notices that the other teams are pointing at them and Kynt replies they're used to people pointing at them.

Jen asks Nathan if they should head over to the travel agent as well. She said the Goths had gotten into everyone's heads making them think they had gotten something good. So the couple on the brink of breaking up head over to the agent, losing their place in line, but also questioning whether they should have left in the first place. Oh, the airport drama!

So Ron & Christina take a walk over to see what Kynt & Vxysin have. Ron tries to ask if the Czech Airlines office is going to open at 4:30 a.m. and Kynt invites him to get in line, but Ron somehow takes an affront to it and starts to talk in Mandarin Chinese. Christina apologizes to everyone so Ron goes back to the line and complains to TK . Christina puts out this fire before it spreads to Croatia. By the way, if you have a chance to see the CBS webclips from last week, check out the one with Ron complaining about the French while he's at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. It's classic.

TK & Rachel decide not to panic and remain at the Czech Airlines office. Because people kept getting in and out of line, it allowed Nicolas & Donald to move up to second.

Over to the siblings and they're having trouble getting their phone call through to LOT Polish Airlines. They give up and now they're last in line. Hendekea has no idea when they're going to Croatia. Unfortunately, it'll get much worse for them. As Azaria wants to make another phone call, Hendekea wants to return to the line, but he does not. So he pulls her aside and starts to chastise her on her attitude. This is where the race starts to fall apart for the siblings.

The agent for Czech Airlines finally arrives to work and TK & Rachel are first in line. Cut to the Goths, Jen & Nathan look over and notice everyone starting to get booked for flights, so Jen asks if they should go over. This indecision is killing me. Just make a decision and get it over with! So Nathan decides to stride back to the Czech Airline office which is just fine with Kynt & Vyxsin.

TK & Rachel get their tickets on the flight going through Prague, departing at 6 a.m. and arriving at 11:20 a.m. They stress to the ticket agent they need tickets on Economy Class. This is important later so pay attention. Jen pokes her head into the ticket office and asks if seats are still available and indeed there are.

Azaria & Hendekea are heading upstairs to the ticket office after their blowout, but instead of letting it go, Azaria decides to let Hendekea have it about her decision not to continue calling LOT Polish Airlines. She just stares into space as he's feeling superior. Christina knowing what Hendekea's feeling suggests the siblings go over to where Kynt & Vyxsin are since they're last in line. They should realize that Christina hasn't really helped them here forcing them to lose their place in line (albeit not intentionally) and is now sending them to an agent who might not help them as efficiently as the Czech Airlines agent is. They go over and ask how many seats are on the Czech Airlines flight, but the Goths say they want to finish their transaction first.

Over to Czech Airlines, the agent asks Nic & Don if they want Business Class and they say no. If you follow The Amazing Race religiously, you'll know that teams cannot buy a Business Class ticket unless they're upgraded from Economy Class. This will come into play in this episode.

Ron & Christina decide to leave the Czech Airlines line and go over to the LOT ticket office only to find that it opens at 5:30 a.m. Kynt & Vyxsin are informed of the LOT flight which goes through Warsaw so they'll book that one and it will arrive in Dubrovnik at the same time as the Czech flight, 11:20 a.m. Ron & Chris finally get their tickets from the LOT office which has now opened so they stress they must buy Economy Class. They're booked and they head over to the airline to check in.

Over to Azaria & Hendekea who are using the Goths' ticket agent. She books them on the LOT flight, leaving at 6:25 a.m., but Hendekea wants to do it fast, but he tells her to relax. Nic & Don are able to get on the Czech Airlines flight which leaves at 6 a.m. Jen & Nathan ask for the same flight, but the agent says no because check-in is now closed. The couple appeal, but rules are rules. Remember this rules thing later. So they have to run to the ticket agent where Azaria & Hendekea are. Azaria tells them about the LOT flight and suggests they book it at another ticket agent down the hall so Jen & Nathan head there.

Azaria & Hendekea get their tickets and go downstairs to check in. Jen & Nathan are back at the Czech Airlines ticket office and they're getting booked on the LOT flight. Are you following this? Do you see why I hate chronicling airport drama? I've written 14 paragraphs on booking flights and we haven't even left Vilnius yet!

Finally, TK & Rachel and Nicolas & Donald are boarding the 6 a.m. Czech Airlines flight to Dubrovnik which will go through Prague.

Kynt & Vyxsin have now checked in to board their flight while Jen & Nathan are stressing out, but they get their tickets and head to the gate.

Down at LOT Airlines, Hendekea asks if she and Azaria can get seats at the front of the plane. Then she gets the shock of her life. The tickets that were purchased are duh.. duh... duh... DUN....BUSINESS CLASS! Hendekea tells Azaria and this sets off panic! They run back to the ticket agent who booked their flight to see if they can change back to Economy. They don't have much time as the flight is about to leave.

In the meantime, Ron & Christina who may have effectively eliminated Azaria & Hendekea are able to get on board. Nathan & Jen are checking when they look at notice that the siblings are back inside the ticket agent's office.

She apologizes and starts the process. Jen & Nathan are checking in and there's just ten minutes to go before the flight leaves. They're told to hurry up. Oooh, the drama!

The ticket agent now has to re-do her work, only this time in Economy. Kynt & Vyxsin, Ron & Chris and Nathan & Jen are all on board. And then, the siblings are informed that Economy Class is full. The flight takes off without them. Hendekea says, "We messed up bad."
Just here to visit.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2007, 11:22:49 PM »
Just adding to what Apskip wrote:
The caps are attached if anyone can do the sun-times for TK/Rachel and Don/Nic arrivals: the 42 minute gap may be accurate, but no way did they arrive at 1 p.m.
Also, wherever they started from was within walking distance of the downtown Reval Hotel Lietuva (Chris/TigerDad sequence).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2007, 11:47:46 PM »

About tonight's elimination:

So!  Was I right or what?

For the late team (above) it looks like an elimination vantage shot to me!

See post #21 in the Spoiler thread!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2007, 11:53:33 PM »

About tonight's elimination:

So!  Was I right or what?

See post #21 in the Spoiler thread!

I'll have to double check the date but way back before we even knew who the contestants were  :yess: Chateau you did predict the mystery teams demise :yourock: :bow:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2007, 12:04:06 AM »
To be exact Sept 25th  :jam:

This shot was taken between 12:29 and 12:37 pm (assumes July 19th)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
Phil: Ron/Chris, you are team #1. Who's your Daddy now! Some good news, a 12 foot catamaran.
Ron: We know what that is! Yes!
Is that a shot at Mirna?  :cmaslol
:cmaslol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »
As always, MAJOR league thanks to Chateau for all the times!! :xmas49
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2007, 12:31:14 AM »
As always, MAJOR league thanks to Chateau for all the times!! :xmas49
We'd be so lost without you Chateau :luvu:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »
Thanks guys!   :-[

Look at how Phil announces the prize for the leg.  I think he was definitely thinking about Mirna's reaction when they got one. 

He could not hold a straight face.   :cmaslol
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2007, 12:47:28 AM »
Also, What happened to TK & Rachel's visit to the wrong cluebox?    :umn: