Author Topic: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"  (Read 139210 times)

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
Re: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »
Geez, sorry I suggested it.   A  simple "we've looked into and it wouldn't work" would have sufficed.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
 :cmaslol :mechbull:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
Just trying to pull Florence together...

Flights arrive from Dubrovnik 1220 onwards, teams not seen in the Dubrovnik airport around 6AM on the 20th suggesting a funky Dubrovnik pitstop time with a later departure and possible late afternoon arrivals into Florence.

From intro vidcaps we have the Duomo and the coffeehouse in the Boboli Gardens.

We have a tattooing FF in Empoli.

We have what looks like a Roadblock (but cannot yet rule out that this could be a Detour) Definite Detour--Flag tossing in Vinci, and thanks to Chateau we know that Kynt is there noonish on the 21st.

We have teams self driving in the Italian countryside.

Thanks to apskip's work in Timelines we have early morning flights to Mumbai on the 22nd.

Now for spec:

Since we  may have an afternoon arrival, we are going to need an Hours of OP to explain some bunching and why teams are not seen doing tasks till noon when they cannot BE there from Dubrovnik that early--making us need a 7/21 start.

So I like climb the Duomo to get your clue with a morning start on 7/21, but don't think TPTB would leave them there to sleep during the height of tourist season. So maybe make your way to the awesome monastery that overlooks the city where you can hear the Gregorian chants at sunset and also have a place to stay. Only wish I could remember the name!

Get your cars somewhere (this is puzzling because driving in Florence is very limited...)

Nick/Don FF it to Empoli for a this is forever moment.

Other teams to Vinci (I hope the clue only says find the town of Leonardo's birthplace!) where they do a flag-tossing Detour.

Then perhaps back to Florence (although I still don't like the idea of them driving into Florence--maybe a go to _____ and catch the train?) where they climb the Duomo to get their next Detour clue if they didn't do that first.

Given that Florence is the art history capital of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if the Detours involved finding some of Di Vinci's sculptures or paintings (just to stay with a theme!). And those Segway tours around Florence looked like SO much fun....

Then on to the Boboli Coffeehouse for the Pitstop...with all teams in by 4 or 5PM.

Well that was fun for me anyway--even if it ends up having no bearing on reality! :cmaslol

Now--we need some more previews!!

View from the Duomo:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:22:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
What I'm curious about is the fact that the race wasn't spotted at all in Florence in the height of Tourist season. 
It was spotted practically everywhere else bar Ireland and Lithuania so far.

Ireland I can understand because of self driving and the remoteness of the location, but I would have expected spotting in a place like Florence similiar to Dubrovnik's.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »
That is a huge puzzle for sure. Since a gazillion American college students descend on Florence for art courses in the summer--you would think someone would have seen them, wouldn't you? That's a mystery unless the Intro vidcaps are misleading us...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
patlini and Peach, I believe that the answer is before us. The 5 teams DO NOT spend any significant time in downtown Florence, except possibly right after the airport at one of the "get the clue and go on to" stops when there are few tourists around to see it. They have to have cars to get around because they are driving around the countryside. I once tried to do a fine dining experience in the suburbs of Florence without a car; it was murder on public transportation; you could do it but it took so long. Teams will be driving around 10 to 30 km outside of the city center and doing suburban kinds of things. I personally doubt that any art museums are going to be on their task list even though that is what Florence is most famous for. Instead, we are going to be treated to the sight of one or two tatoos. Yuck! At least we are going to enjoy the costumed flag tossers, which could be the most exciting thing that happens on this leg.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
You all are cracking me up today  :cmaslol , who wants to bet that we get 20+ primetime minutes of teams scrambling for flights?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
You all are cracking me up today  :cmaslol , who wants to bet that we get 20+ primetime minutes of teams scrambling for flights?

I do!!!!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2007, 10:30:22 PM »
I want to make that bet, puddin. The flight choices are trivial, with every team going out of Dubrovnik on the same flight at the same time if it's the afternoon flight AND if World Race Productions has not set a capacity limit below 5 teams. There is no drama in connecting through Frankfurt. If they miss one to Florence, there should be one hours later. I do not think that flight stuff will take up more than about 12 minutes of non-commercial show time on Sunday night.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »
I want to make that bet, puddin. The flight choices are trivial, with every team going out of Dubrovnik on the same flight at the same time if it's the afternoon flight AND if World Race Productions has not set a capacity limit below 5 teams. There is no drama in connecting through Frankfurt. If they miss one to Florence, there should be one hours later. I do not think that flight stuff will take up more than about 12 minutes of non-commercial show time on Sunday night.
I hope your right apskips, more racing please, more scenery please and some commercials/promos would be nice, I'll be pissed if we have to wait until Survivor Sunday night to see something  :cmas13

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
That would be just great to recap.  (:;) (:;) (:;) (:;)

I think at the end, I did 18-20 paragraphs on airport drama for Ep. 6. I really don't want to do that again.  :pull :pull :pull
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
Ken, let's face it. In a time-short race around the world with sometimes major distances between legs, the travel agency and airport drama is going to be critical in many legs. It would be nice if there was more other action that demanded airtime. However, if you want that you have to watch Amazing Race Asia 2 or A Corrida Milionaria.

Offline tarbuckeye

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I Live TAR...Too many days on the Road!
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2007, 09:07:22 PM »
Have loved this thread.  Just got back from Europe.  We were there  two weeks, Brussels, Milan, Venice and Florence.   :jumpy:  Of course, I was just 5 months behind the race...The story of my life...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Have loved this thread.  Just got back from Europe.  We were there  two weeks, Brussels, Milan, Venice and Florence.   :jumpy:  Of course, I was just 5 months behind the race...The story of my life...
:jumpy: Do you have my correct address to send my gifts?

just kidding, welcome home  :xmas49

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2007, 08:29:43 PM »
So when you look at the WHOLE picture and not the chopped one... :cmaslol

We can see that this is a DETOUR not a Roadblock and that one team has trouble:

So maybe Detour first after some bunching/ hours of op?

These we have Intro vidcaps for--so could be initial cluebox or possibly Pitstop...

Boboli Gardens hours--last enty by 6:30PM in July

Duomo--last entry by  6:20PM (assumes Friday the 20th of July)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tarbuckeye

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I Live TAR...Too many days on the Road!
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »
Puddin...Have the address but TSA would not let us take our Chianti Classico on the plane... :cmas4.  So we ate the Belgian Chocolate to console our selves.... :cmas50

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
Puddin...Have the address but TSA would not let us take our Chianti Classico on the plane... :cmas4.  So we ate the Belgian Chocolate to console our selves.... :cmas50
Chocolate is what keeps puddin going buckeye but I'll forgive you  :cmas20 , flashs of Lucy eating the "What baby?" 30-pound cheese when returning to the USA from Europe    :cmaslol.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:01 PM »
Oh my some sort of Vinci flying machines? propellers? more later  :cmas26

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2007, 07:08:36 PM »
Ultra-lights!! I saw them too!

OH BOY!!   :jumpy: :cmas9 :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2007, 07:16:17 PM »
Did it resemble these?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2007, 07:29:56 PM »
Oh my some sort of Vinci flying machines? propellers? more later  :cmas26

something out of you only live twice

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »
Well I caught it out of the corner of my eye--it looked the size of an ultralight but with a helicopter style top...

So yeah--maybe a little? Gosh--I hope they show it again!

There is an airfield VALDERA airfield that does ultralights and also skydiving...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
NOT an ultralight!!

It was a GYRO!!

:snakes:

Thanks kogs! That was the hint I needed!  :cmas17
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:54:28 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2007, 07:42:32 PM »
something out of you only live twice
Little Nellie?  :cmas18 Sounds like fun. They make two-seaters, and an airfield isn't needed; they have very short takeoff/landing requirements.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
A Gyro  :jumpy:
That would be a very cool roadblock challenge! Would they let contestants fly one of those things by themselves?