Author Topic: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"  (Read 139167 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2007, 01:07:41 PM »
GE is like wiki?? It can be WRONG? Who knew? :lol3:

Your overhead shot is the best yet! NICE!

too nice to hide: SLOWHATCH's overhead view:

Now if Chateau can't get us times with all this kind of help from the elves....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:12:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
Very nice Slowhatch & peach! Good link Slowhatch!  :yess:, those are the shots I could not find :gj:.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
Okay--I think this one may finally be  right! Incorporating Chateau's input from below...

Vinci GE task location:

Remind me to stay out of GE please! Heeee!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:53:38 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »
Apskip, I think we are looking at what might be a Roadblock "twirl the flags" but since we can't see if Vyxsin is doing it too--it could be a Detour as well. And we are in Vinci Italy now....

But we need input on if/when/how teams can get into Italy. Vinci is only about 30 minutes from Florence so could they arrive at the airport, come directly here for a Roadblock (maybe drive yourself to Leonardo di Vinci's birthplace) and be here by noon??

Or maybe we will get some "creative scheduling" like on the last leg.... leave at 1AM indeed!

Are they flying into Florence or maybe even Pisa as patlini mentioned?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Acually, Peach, from Slowhatch's map, I think it's this one.  There is even a little bit of shadow for the sculpture.

The line with two red dots is 20 feet long.  I used it as a scale to help guage the size of blurry stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2007, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks guys--I should KNOW better than to mess with GE! :lol3:

This picture shows at your location which thanks to Slowhatch's pretty overhead IS at the right place......

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »
Apskip, I think we are looking at what might be a Roadblock "twirl the flags" but since we can't see if Vyxsin is doing it too--it could be a Detour as well. And we are in Vinci Italy now....

But we need input on if/when/how teams can get into Italy. Vinci is only about 30 minutes from Florence so could they arrive at the airport, come directly here for a Roadblock (maybe drive yourself to Leonardo di Vinci's birthplace) and be here by noon??

Or maybe we will get some "creative scheduling" like on the last leg.... leave at 1AM indeed!

Are they flying into Florence or maybe even Pisa as patlini mentioned?

Pisa is out of the question. It works only for flights from Paris-CDG. From places reachable from Dubrovnik on Friday July 20, which is the short list of Zagreb and Frankfurt, it does not work at all. Teams wanting to get there in the morning will go through Frankfurt to get to Florence-Peretola airport.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2007, 10:26:26 PM »
On the question of distance and time from Florence Peretola airport to Vinci, it is 28.73 miles and 49 minutes. I investigated bus and train possibilities, but I ahve not yet discovered anything for Vinci, which appears to be off the beaten track.

1: Start out going WEST on VIALE SPARTACO LAVAGNINI toward VIA ENRICO POGGI. 0.1 miles Map

2: VIALE SPARTACO LAVAGNINI becomes VIALE FILIPPO STROZZI. <0.1 miles Map

3: Keep LEFT at the fork to continue on VIALE FILIPPO STROZZI. 0.2 miles Map

4: Keep RIGHT at the fork to continue on VIALE FILIPPO STROZZI. <0.1 miles Map

5: VIALE FILIPPO STROZZI becomes VIALE BELFIORE. 0.3 miles Map

6: VIALE BELFIORE becomes PIAZZALE DI PORTA AL PRATO. <0.1 miles Map

7: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto VIALE FRATELLI ROSSELLI. <0.1 miles Map

8: VIALE FRATELLI ROSSELLI becomes PIAZZA VITTORIO VENETO. 0.2 miles Map

9: PIAZZA VITTORIO VENETO becomes PONTE DELLA VITTORIA. <0.1 miles Map

10: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto PIAZZA TADDEO GADDI. Pass through 1 roundabout. <0.1 miles Map

11: Keep RIGHT at the fork to continue on PIAZZA TADDEO GADDI. <0.1 miles Map

12: PIAZZA TADDEO GADDI becomes VIA DEI VANNI. 0.2 miles Map

13: VIA DEI VANNI becomes PIAZZA PAOLO UCCELLO. <0.1 miles Map

14: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto VIA DEL SANSOVINO. 0.3 miles Map

15: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto VIALE FRANCESCO TALENTI. 0.1 miles Map

16: Keep RIGHT at the fork to continue on VIALE FRANCESCO TALENTI. Pass through 1 roundabout. 0.3 miles Map

17: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto VIALE ETRURIA. 0.8 miles Map

18: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto STRADA DI GRANDE COMUNICAZIONE FI-PI-LI / SUPERSTRADA FIRENZE-PISA-LIVORNO. Continue to follow STRADA DI GRANDE COMUNICAZIONE FI-PI-LI. 18.2 miles Map

19: Take the ramp toward EMPOLI OVEST / PONTE A ELSA. 0.3 miles Map

20: Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto VIA PRIMO MAGGIO. 0.1 miles Map

21: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto VIA VAL D'ELSA / SP10 / STRADA PROVINCIALE VAL D'ELSA. Continue to follow VIA VAL D'ELSA. 1.2 miles Map

22: VIA VAL D'ELSA becomes SP11 / VIA PROVINCIALE LA MOTTA / STRADA PROVINCIALE PISANA PER FUCECCHIO. 0.2 miles Map

23: Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto SP112 / STRADA PROVINCIALE DELLA MOTTA. 1.4 miles Map

24: Turn LEFT onto STRADA PROVINCIALE MONTALBANO / SP13. 0.4 miles Map

25: Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto VIA PROVINCIALE DI MERCATALE / SP13 / STRADA PROVINCIALE MONTALBANO. 2.3 miles Map

26: Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto SP13 / STRADA PROVINCIALE MONTALBANO. 0.8 miles Map

27: End at Vinci, Toscana IT  Map

Total Est. Time: 49 minutes     Total Est. Distance: 28.73 miles  
                                 Advanced OptionsShortest Time
 Avoid Highways
 Avoid Tolls
 Avoid Seasonally-Closed Roads
 Reverse Route

The nice MapQuest map that can be used to interpret the above is at
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/europe.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=1ADqpk24ofDJKmAyur5Ad0kyL8DZZYhqavcEzEA7hyIJFSMIW0sOURmsSNS5WPrBl9W4qBnfA6EOrODSGNMRSMkMHD%252fcigH9s1CWNzH9SiLuT%252fJEH0fOd4P5L1tThj%252b9&ct=EU&r=f&rsres=1&1y=IT&1a=&1c=Florence&1z=&panelbtn=1&2y=IT&2a=&2c=Vinci&2z=

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:19 PM »
DO I have the flight info straight in my mind? The earliest flight to Florence gets teams in at 1220--otherwise they are scattered from 2 to after 6?

And remember that Eilan was in the airport that morning (7/20) and was on a "pre-dawn" flight via Zagreb full of production--all of whom got off at Zagreb to change planes. But at that hour she saw NO racers either in the airport or on her plane. And she was looking!

So are TPTB going to be giving us a pure fantasy 12-hour atypical pitstop again with a later start?? Last time there was no way teams checked in at sunset and departed at 1....

Because if teams arrive in Florence late afternoon there is going to be some bunching somewhere since we have Chateau claiming the Flag tossing task as between 9AM and noon (better times promised for later).

And a nighttime bunch seems very strange with a FF on the table....

Maybe this is all to line us up for the right flights Florence to India (Mumbai?) ....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:02 AM »
This shot was taken between 12:14 and 12:23 pm (assumes July 21st).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:22 AM »
YAY Chateau!!

But this makes it hard since the first flights don't arrive till about then on the 20th....so wonder if it turns out to be on the 21st somehow??  But a big bunching when there is a FF doesn't make sense. Wonder if they have an 18 hour pitstop? That would work I think...

Would the time here be about the same if it was on the 21st??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2007, 01:20:06 AM »
 :mas25  look at the 'assumes'   :mas25

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2007, 01:29:41 AM »
 :cmas9 Thanks.  :cmas16 I'm not sure if I'm reading this general timetable correctly, but it looks like there's several morning arrivals to choose from.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »

Love this song and always think about you Chateau when I hear it :xmas49, thank you Rocketman :luvu:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2007, 01:55:02 AM »
:cmas9 Thanks.  :cmas16 I'm not sure if I'm reading this general timetable correctly, but it looks like there's several morning arrivals to choose from.

Exactly so, SLOWHATCH, but have you given any thought to how a team might get to any of these cities in time to make the earlier departure time needed for these arrival times in Firenza:

Milan 1110
Rome 1030
Amsterdam 1155
Brussels 920
Frankfurt 920 (note-departs 730)
Lyon 1035
Paris 0915
Timisoara 1025

Oh, here's the one we might need: Monaco 1020

Forget it! None of these cities can be reached on July 20 starting from Dubrovnik's 0630 flight to Zagreb or 0730 flight to Frankfurt. The only city that has any chance besides Frankfurt(which is how they will go unless a team cannot make the 0730 departure or cannot find seats on that flight) is Paris-CDG. The problem it has is that in order to get to Paris you have to go through Frankfurt, so why bother. The best routing possible through Paris is:

OU418 DBV FRA 0730 0935
AF1519 FRA CDG 1040 1200
AZ7805 CDG FLR 1320 1520

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2007, 01:55:15 AM »
:mas25  look at the 'assumes'   :mas25

Oh gosh!  :groan: :groan: You are way ahead of me Rocketman!  :cmas17

And Slowhatch--they have been working on this awhile in Timelines--I think the problem is connections out of Dubrovnik --believe they have to go via Frankfort or Zagreb--but I'll let apskip handle this part--But I think the earliest arrival they have been able to manage is 1220...

I tried this part too while apskip was cruising and I nearly went insane! :cmas18

Heh--didn't see you there apskip!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2007, 01:59:30 AM »
I think the 0630 flight is maybe the one Eilan was on with tons of production but NO racers anywhere....leading me to think another atypical Pitstop time...otherwise she would have seen them at the airport...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »
Peach, I have had problems staying asleep so to tire myself out I am trying to do the most fascinating thing I know - airline schedules work. The only obvious solution to your conundrum is that teams have another crazy non-12 hour pistop in Dubrovnik and come out sometime in the afternoon at a time which gets all teams to Florence(last place Donald and Nic have to be there so they can do the Fast Forward on July 21). There are a number of flight possiblities for the afternoon that I have indicated are feasible. Here are those possibilities:

OU384 DBV FCO 1555 1700
AZ1679 FCO FLR 1740 1850

OU669 DBV ZAG 1300 1355
LH3483 ZAG FRA 1435 1620
LH4064(not a legal connection; only possible if LH3483 arrives quite early) FRA FLR 1630 1800 or LH4066 2105 2235

OU669 DBV ZAG 1300 1355
OU414 ZAG FRA 1755 1930
LH4066 FRA FLR 2105 2235

All of these would lead to some sort of hours of operation stop once on the ground in the Fflorence area. It could also lead to some major bunching, which would be no surprise as we have had less of that than usual.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »
Staying asleep? I'm just thinking about GOING to sleep!  :cmaslol

But thanks for all the info!  And yes, I think another funny pitstop time is the answer. But bunching when we know we have a FF is strange, isn't it? Can't remember if that happens?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2007, 06:42:38 AM »

But thanks for all the info!  And yes, I think another funny pitstop time is the answer. But bunching when we know we have a FF is strange, isn't it? Can't remember if that happens?

It seems that if the PitStop is 12 hr, Phil says something like this ... Ron and Christina were the first to arrive at 3 pm and will depart at 3 am.

With a non-12hr PitStop, Phil changes to something like this ... Ron and Christina were the first to arrive, and will depart at 7 am.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2007, 06:46:31 AM »
I originally wondered how Nick and the Don got the FF when they were last to leave the PitStop.  And then someone reminded me of bunching.

Bunching on a FF leg makes more sense, because it gives all teams access to the FF and/or it may create a race for the FF (and the loser would be really up a creek :kayak:).

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »

It seems that if the PitStop is 12 hr, Phil says something like this ... Ron and Christina were the first to arrive at 3 pm and will depart at 3 am.

With a non-12hr PitStop, Phil changes to something like this ... Ron and Christina were the first to arrive, and will depart at 7 am.

Except that this past leg, Phil said that "TK and Rachel, who blahblahblah at 1 pm, will depart at 1 am." which, from what I've gathered from Timelines, is not so much with the Real Truth Flavor (tm Ronald).

I think nonstandard pistops are to throw the spoiler detectives off  :lol3: (and for safety/bunching, obviously)

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
I would say that if it is a non standard pit stop for the next leg, then all teams except Nicolas/Donald are screwed, since N/D probably could not catch up if the pit stop is only 12hrs.

Maybe there is a bunching point in Florence, but I don't think so because at the planning stage the producers should assume all teams can check in in Dubrovnik before 3pm without all those delays, so they don't necessarily make a bunching point in Florence.

Another situation is that the other teams don't take the FF because they know N/D are behind, so N/D taking FF may not mean they are first.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »
Have you guys tried looking at flights into Bologna?  Just a thought.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:10 PM »
Colby, we haven't and for multiple good reaons. The 730am flight from Dubrovnik to Frankfurt connecting with the 1050am flight to Florence take a total time of 4 hours 50 minutes. Given the start and end cities, we are not going to beat that with any other routing. Bologna is an industrial and educational city that probably does not have as large an airport as Florence. Even if it did, World Race Prductions has traditionally not allowed "fly and drive long distances" approaches to getting to the next clue. This type of argument was old when GMAN tried it weeks ago with Milan. Let it rest in peace! However, if you want to invest your time in investigating the flight options into Bologna, feel free.