Author Topic: Speed Bump  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
Speed Bump
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »
Sorry if it's been previously asked/answered. But any idea on what it is?
TAR Top 6 FavoriteTeams -

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re: Speed Bump
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »
Maybe a rename for the yield?!? I am not sure!

Rob

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:36:46 PM »
Well--I am no Phil but here goes...

A U-Turn is a new twist this season that we assume is replacing the Yield. A team may, only ONCE per race, choose to U-Turn a trailing team after a Detour. That team will then have to go back and perform the other (previously not chosen) Detour.

The mechanics seem much like the Yield--either state for the cameras that you do not wish to use the U-Turn, or place a picture of the team you are U-Turning along with your own picture as U-Turners and you are done.

I like this better than the Yield as teams still have some remmnant of control over their own fate, rather than just standing by helplessly watching the sand in an hourglass go down.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »
I wonder if the Speed bump is really a new form of the Fast Forward.

To me it could mean two things.  A speed bump, ie something that bumps you forward.  Or it could refer to a speed bump designed to slow you down.

Now the UTurn seems to be similar to the Yield, but leaves it open to the team how much of a hinderance it is.

Of course, what the hell do I know.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »
Maybe the speed bump could be that BOTH team members have to do the Roadblock?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasFroggy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:36:56 PM »
I'm going to guess it's something that makes a task more complicated ... so you can't go as fast. Something silly maybe, like having to carry the chicken through the last leg except it would actually hinder a team ...
~TexasFroggy

The Clinton administration launched an attack on people in Texas because those people were religious nuts with guns. Hell, religious nuts with guns founded this country! Who does Bill Clinton think stepped ashore on Plymouth Rock? -P.J. O'Rourke.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
I never said welcome to the forum TexasFroggy  :hithere:

I can't figure out if the Speed Bump is to boost your speed like the Fast Forward or if its like running over a speed bump and it slows you down or it just might be Donalds bump in his speedo   :cmas27 ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:28:52 AM by puddin »

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »
Personally, I've never seen a speed bump used to speed up anything - except perhaps the wearing down of your shock absorbers.

So, I guess it must be a slow-down tool.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
I agree, a speed bump really is something to slow you down.  So it could be an added task or something such as a blindfold.  It doesn't sound like something you could do to another team.  We have the U-Turn for that.  And it looks like the U-Turn station would be close by the end point of the detour.  If it were, say at the next location maybe 50 miles away, it really would be something to cause a team to lose the race.  We will just have to wait and see when the second one (there are only two) shows its ugly head. The one thing about the U-Turn, Yield, etc. is that a leading team doesn't have to worry about these setbacks.  Get there first and keep on going, and going, and going :yess:

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
... The one thing about the U-Turn, Yield, etc. is that a leading team doesn't have to worry about these setbacks.  Get there first and keep on going, and going, and going :yess:
Perhaps the speed bump applies to the first team to arrive at a particular point - in an effort to mix things up a bit. :nm:

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:32:38 PM »
How about slowing down teams in front of you?

Make both team members complete the roadblock seperately?

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
I have a feeling that the Speed Bump is a hinderance to another team, like you guys are referencing.

What it does, however, is still a mystery. Let's hope the identity of its persona is revealed soon.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
Someone on the TAR ASIA message board posted that if you won the leg, you are able to leave 30 Minutes earlier. If you didn't win the leg, then you get to leave 30 minutes before 1st. And if you finish last then it doesn't apply.

Now I don't know how true it is, but it seems stupid as there are usually airports or bunching points (although a speed bump would have been good for the last leg).