Author Topic: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"  (Read 79082 times)

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2007, 11:22:55 PM »
I don't know if this helps or not, but ...

http://www.etruscan.com/s/BurkinaFaso.asp

The Youga Gold Mine is located approximately four kilometers north of the Ghanaian border and 180 kilometers southwest of Ouagadougou, the capital city of Burkina Faso on the 80 kilometer Youga Gold Belt.

As of October, 2007, construction of the Youga Gold Mine has progressed significantly and the project is now on schedule for plant commissioning to commence December 2007.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
Here is a July update: http://www.afrol.com/articles/26115 of another one, but I think the largest just opened? I know that the gold mines, the July flood, and the World Bank loan have been the major news articles I have been reading daily ever since we heard about BF. Of course I just emptied my Trash folder with all this in it...

Here's one!http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSL1890692120070718  but trust me--there have been just as many news releases on this as there have been banks wanting to send me a trunk full of cash! :lol3:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:31:48 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2007, 12:25:09 AM »
Well it doesn't look all that fancy, the gold mining place that is.

fwiw~

CTV.ca: What team did you end up getting closest with on the race?

Julia: Lorena and Jason. We really clicked with them from the beginning. There were never any hard feelings between us.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2007, 12:33:12 AM »
The place that our guys are mining may be a fake seeded by production site. But I do remember reading about locals who would go out digging for gold and how the open pit mines would take away that option for improving their lives--so maybe there really are that many gold nuggets lying around!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »
Or the nuggets were planted by TPTB like in Survivor, they plant limes for Vitamin C , lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2007, 12:37:55 AM »
Like a fake seeded place? :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »
I think the shot of TK and Jennifer is at the roadblock because why would they just be standing there?
Yup and thats Rachels backpack on the ground between them.

If this is true, then how does this dialogue fit in: (Audio from promo clip)

TK: "You guys chose to do it."

Jenny: "You got to live with it."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »
I think its per webclue Gman, Detour first then the Roadblock, Jennifer/Shana are probably at the Roadblock with Rachel & TK and Jennifer must be the one that fears the karma coming back to bite them after U-Turning Lorena/Jason and is talking to TK about it.

A new wrinkle in the Race causes friction between two Teammates as one fears a target has been painted on their backs and karma will bite them from behind.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2007, 10:24:03 AM »
So far, the evidence points to a TBC/double leg, with (guessing) Lorena/Jason or Shana/Jennifer getting the fake boot, no?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »
So far, the evidence points to a TBC/double leg, with (guessing) Lorena/Jason or Shana/Jennifer getting the fake boot, no?
What evidence zack? I don't know of any evidence? Last week we thought the same and look what happened, lol. Really I don't know, but am treating this leg as a elimination but who knows? When the eliminated team was set to appear on the Early Show it was telling but since it seems they are not doing that anymore its hard to say either way.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »
I think its per webclue Gman, Detour first then the Roadblock, Jennifer/Shana are probably at the Roadblock with Rachel & TK and Jennifer must be the one that fears the karma coming back to bite them after U-Turning Lorena/Jason and is talking to TK about it.

A new wrinkle in the Race causes friction between two Teammates as one fears a target has been painted on their backs and karma will bite them from behind.

Didn't someone say that it was Jennifer doing the bike bit?  That the blondes alternated taking turns doing the roadblock and it was Jenns turn?  If so, why is she standing there talking to TK?  Or is Shana actually doing the block?

We need more video clues!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »

Didn't someone say that it was Jennifer doing the bike bit?  That the blondes alternated taking turns doing the roadblock and it was Jenns turn?  If so, why is she standing there talking to TK?  Or is Shana actually doing the block?

We need more video clues!!
We see Jennifer of Nathan/Jennifer pushing the bike, I think thats who that Jennifer is Gman and then Jennifer of Shana/Jennifer standing on the sidelines with TK of what we think is the Roadblock location.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »
This shot from the Mat Chats shows that the massive clump of teams

2nd  TK & Rachel
3rd  Nathan & Jen
4th  Kynt & Vyxsin
5th  Ronald & Christina
6th  Nicolas & Donald

checked in just before 10:15 am on July 14th.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
Gosh--look! Chateau can figure it out even during a MONSOON! :lol3:

Then we have the sisters saying they were out there with the camels about 4 hours and arrived 1.3 minutes after J/Lorena so....

Hmmm...I don't think they'll be turning them loose in Bingo at 10:15 PM--so what gives?

Early train--train one-two hours (heard somewhere in one of the vids) + tasks--okay 10:15 could work...

Will they have an H of Op? Vans not there till AM--pull a #--go back to sleep--or is this another 36 hour pitstop?  They aren't going to be wandering Bingo at night! :o

And I don't think they'll be driving at night either...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:34:00 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2007, 12:32:03 PM »
Prove it Chateau!  :snicker:

(just kidding) Good catch!!  :jumpy:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2007, 12:38:19 PM »
Also, the Mat Chats reveal that the last team, Lorena & Jason, took 2.5 hours to milk the camel.

So I would just guess that they check in around 12:15 pm.

Leg 4 should begin in darkness (10 pm to nidnightish) but, as we know, they like to start african legs in the light.  Maybe they wait until sunrise or maybe they leave on time and get to choose from spare-tire-clad taxis like TAR5.    :o
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
Wonder if that is 2.5 hours MORE after the other teams left--because the Sisters said they were  out there 4 hours.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
And the sisters said they were behind Lorena/Jason by less than a minute  :o! So sad too Bad!!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
I would have preferred to see Lorena & Jason behind the sisters by that same margin just to see Lorena scream and cry again.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »
Okay! Here would be a use for a chicken!

And great minds think alike--TexasLady sent me this just as I was reading it too! YAY TL!  :kissy:

http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/0704/burkina-faso.html

So we were off from Bobo-Dioulasso, pilgrims crammed into a chartered mini-van the size of a phone booth, chickens hung off the back, squawking as if menaced by gigantic fish with foot-long whiskers.

The chicken viewpoint was obvious: sacred catfish be damned.

After ricocheting along a deeply eroded riverbed, abruptly ending at the precipitous edge of a dry waterfall, we piled out to find this was no tourist trap. The steep trail was littered with locals toting chickens and handmade hoes, no tourists except us, a bona fide pilgrimage to the pools of the sacred catfish.

Hey bro, what are the hoes for?

Plucking a chicken to feed the sacred
catfish
What the Hoe is For

We followed gaggles of children down the waterfall. The children were tugging on the thumbs of paterfamilias and better halves bedecked in everything from bib overalls to Sunday-go-to-meeting paraphernalia, hoes slung over shoulders.

At the bottom of red rock cliffs resembling Sedona country -- feel the energy vortex -- we found ourselves slipping and sliding on viscous red feathers, and also found out what the hoe were for; clunk, no more chicken squawk.

Oui, monsieur, you must take off your shoes and the hat. Ees sacred.

Walk barefoot over ratty chicken feathers spattered with blood: get real. But ees sacred. So we hauled off our shoes and gingerly tiptoed under giant shade trees set between sacred catfish pools, roasting three much quieter chickens.

Ever shucked a chicken? Fun is a chicken-plucker, made palatable by the relish of adding to inches of feathers covering an area the size of a football field.

Random Protuberances

But hey, don’t go there.

Red hot chili peppers

Halt for a skinny dipping lady with no fear of nipped off protuberances.

But don’t twitching tendrils tickle tender tushes?

Apparently not, so we ground to a halt, stymied on our drive to deliver lucky hearts and gizzards to hallowed and apparently hollow, catfish.

We were chomping-at-the-bit, anxious to solicit the luck of the sacred catfish blessing. After much thumb-twiddling on our part, the brave lady emerged, buffed herself dry, and leisurely dressed, eventually allowing us to push bravely forward and deliver the bounty to voracious bewhiskered fish, spoiled rotten and likely susceptible to some form of mad catfish disease.

The Lucky Blessed

After all, they’d devoured a protein species of ill repute. Cannibalism should likely be prohibited among all species whose names begin with C.

Like everyone else, we were among the lucky blessed. The sacred catfish, menacing and swirling in their enormousness, devoured every savory morsel. The pilgrimage insured our future fortune and happiness, which we immediately reaped at the music and film festivals in Ouagadougou (pronounced Waga-doo-goo), the capitol of Burkina Faso.

Feed the Holy Catfish!!

This one also from TexasLady!   :hearts: :yess:
 http://mappic.org/viewTravelogue.php?id=89

July 4, 2004: Bobo Dioulasso - Dafra - Koro - Bobo Dioulasso By mobylette, we go to the "holy fish". Wim is sitting at the back, holding a chicken and Moumou is driving. I have my own mobylette, but no chicken… Over a rough 8 km dirt road, through mud zones and over wet fields, we arrive in Dafra.

From here it is a beautiful walk down to the "Mare aux Poissons Sacrés" through an astonishing mountain landscape. Our chicken is getting quiet. Does it know its destiny? Once we are down at the lake, we hand it over to a local. He is going to sacrifice the intestines to the huge cat fish. Barefoot, we walk over the chicken feathers to the slaughter table. The chicken looses its head, feathers, paws and intestines within a few minutes. The meat will later be grilled and eaten by the people here. But it is time to feed the fish… Due to the heavy rain, the water is brown and we can only see some black beards like little snakes on the surface.

The intestines disappear quickly, and we are a bit disappointed. The show is over… But for the local people, who come here, this is not at all a show. It is all part of their animist culture/religion. By offering food to the fish, they want to make the gods happy, so that their problems will be solved. On our way up, we cross more people, who are going down with a goat, a sheep, some chickens,…

Well--they chopped off a chicken's head on Kid Nation this season--so maybe yes? :umn:

Wow....that would be an amazing task.  No wonder the goats & sheep were running away from those crazy tourists in the last episode.

& Texas Lady is a fabulous writer.   :jam:

Regarding the detour:

Maybe.....Find your Booty or Shake your Booty?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »
Wow....that would be an amazing task.  No wonder the goats & sheep were running away from those crazy tourists in the last episode.

& Texas Lady is a fabulous writer.   

Regarding the detour:

Maybe.....Find your Booty or Shake your Booty?

Well TexasLady IS a fabulous writer--but in this case she's a fabulous Detective/linker!

And  :yess: :jumpy:  That is the PERFECT Detour title! Love it! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »
The place that our guys are mining may be a fake seeded by production site. But I do remember reading about locals who would go out digging for gold and how the open pit mines would take away that option for improving their lives--so maybe there really are that many gold nuggets lying around!

I doubt it!  If gold nuggets were just "lying around" they would have been scooped up long ago!  And an open mine operation is just one huge hole in the ground.  This looks like a recreation of an old-fashioned panning for gold stunt.  Probably seeded by production if that; in reality prospectors could be panning for gold in one location for weeks without finding a thing!

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2007, 04:32:58 PM »
I think the shot of TK and Jennifer is at the roadblock because why would they just be standing there?
Yup and thats Rachels backpack on the ground between them.

If this is true, then how does this dialogue fit in: (Audio from promo clip)

TK: "You guys chose to do it."

Jenny: "You got to live with it."

Hey, maybe their talking about chopping off chicken heads!!!!! :pull

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2007, 04:37:27 PM »
No--that was Kid Nation! :lol3:

And that was what I was saying about the task G-Man--that it was a "seeded" ie st up by TPTB mining task. But apparently there are places in BF where locals previously tried to augment their income by doing a little prospecting/mining themselves.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
Here are my chicken eating catfish of BF!

RFF's Golden Rule: