Author Topic: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"  (Read 79091 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »
Okay! Here would be a use for a chicken!

And great minds think alike--TexasLady sent me this just as I was reading it too! YAY TL!  :kissy:

http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/0704/burkina-faso.html

So we were off from Bobo-Dioulasso, pilgrims crammed into a chartered mini-van the size of a phone booth, chickens hung off the back, squawking as if menaced by gigantic fish with foot-long whiskers.

The chicken viewpoint was obvious: sacred catfish be damned.

After ricocheting along a deeply eroded riverbed, abruptly ending at the precipitous edge of a dry waterfall, we piled out to find this was no tourist trap. The steep trail was littered with locals toting chickens and handmade hoes, no tourists except us, a bona fide pilgrimage to the pools of the sacred catfish.

Hey bro, what are the hoes for?

Plucking a chicken to feed the sacred
catfish
What the Hoe is For

We followed gaggles of children down the waterfall. The children were tugging on the thumbs of paterfamilias and better halves bedecked in everything from bib overalls to Sunday-go-to-meeting paraphernalia, hoes slung over shoulders.

At the bottom of red rock cliffs resembling Sedona country -- feel the energy vortex -- we found ourselves slipping and sliding on viscous red feathers, and also found out what the hoe were for; clunk, no more chicken squawk.

Oui, monsieur, you must take off your shoes and the hat. Ees sacred.

Walk barefoot over ratty chicken feathers spattered with blood: get real. But ees sacred. So we hauled off our shoes and gingerly tiptoed under giant shade trees set between sacred catfish pools, roasting three much quieter chickens.

Ever shucked a chicken? Fun is a chicken-plucker, made palatable by the relish of adding to inches of feathers covering an area the size of a football field.

Random Protuberances

But hey, don’t go there.

Red hot chili peppers

Halt for a skinny dipping lady with no fear of nipped off protuberances.

But don’t twitching tendrils tickle tender tushes?

Apparently not, so we ground to a halt, stymied on our drive to deliver lucky hearts and gizzards to hallowed and apparently hollow, catfish.

We were chomping-at-the-bit, anxious to solicit the luck of the sacred catfish blessing. After much thumb-twiddling on our part, the brave lady emerged, buffed herself dry, and leisurely dressed, eventually allowing us to push bravely forward and deliver the bounty to voracious bewhiskered fish, spoiled rotten and likely susceptible to some form of mad catfish disease.

The Lucky Blessed

After all, they’d devoured a protein species of ill repute. Cannibalism should likely be prohibited among all species whose names begin with C.

Like everyone else, we were among the lucky blessed. The sacred catfish, menacing and swirling in their enormousness, devoured every savory morsel. The pilgrimage insured our future fortune and happiness, which we immediately reaped at the music and film festivals in Ouagadougou (pronounced Waga-doo-goo), the capitol of Burkina Faso.

Feed the Holy Catfish!!

This one also from TexasLady!   :hearts: :yess:
 http://mappic.org/viewTravelogue.php?id=89

July 4, 2004: Bobo Dioulasso - Dafra - Koro - Bobo Dioulasso By mobylette, we go to the "holy fish". Wim is sitting at the back, holding a chicken and Moumou is driving. I have my own mobylette, but no chicken… Over a rough 8 km dirt road, through mud zones and over wet fields, we arrive in Dafra.

From here it is a beautiful walk down to the "Mare aux Poissons Sacrés" through an astonishing mountain landscape. Our chicken is getting quiet. Does it know its destiny? Once we are down at the lake, we hand it over to a local. He is going to sacrifice the intestines to the huge cat fish. Barefoot, we walk over the chicken feathers to the slaughter table. The chicken looses its head, feathers, paws and intestines within a few minutes. The meat will later be grilled and eaten by the people here. But it is time to feed the fish… Due to the heavy rain, the water is brown and we can only see some black beards like little snakes on the surface.

The intestines disappear quickly, and we are a bit disappointed. The show is over… But for the local people, who come here, this is not at all a show. It is all part of their animist culture/religion. By offering food to the fish, they want to make the gods happy, so that their problems will be solved. On our way up, we cross more people, who are going down with a goat, a sheep, some chickens,…

Well--they chopped off a chicken's head on Kid Nation this season--so maybe yes? :umn:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »
Those are better than my thoughts! I was thinking more along the lines of corraling or delivering chrckens  :chicken

I think the chickens would be more worried about Col. Sanders.  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
  :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2007, 04:00:29 PM »
Flickr set

Way there:

Chicken intestines:

the rest are kind of :eww: so go look yourselves! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
Welcome egnsixteen  :dancer:

press~
TEAMS MUST BREAK OUT THEIR DANCE MOVES OR INCUR A COSTLY PENALTY AT A DETOUR IN BURKINA FASO, AFRICA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE 12," SUNDAY, NOV. 25
"Let's Name Our Chicken Phil" - Teams must impress the local judges in Burkina Faso with their dance moves to avoid a penalty and receive their next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 12, Sunday, Nov. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. 

So the Dancing with the Stars is one task of the Detour; wonder what the other task could be.  So far we have seen Ronald/Christina; Azaria/Hendekea; Jason/Lorena; Kynt/Vyxsin; and Nathan/Jenny doing the dance.  Any others?

Question:  is it is or is it not a DETOUR?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:25:23 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:46 PM »
Well, there's Helio and Julianne, Mel B. and Maksim, Edyta and..., oh, that's the wrong show. Never mind.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:49 PM »
I'll guess Lorena & Jason :elvis: but do the detour twice. I bet once you do it once and get the hang of it the second times a snap but now you have lost some of your lead unless of course the U-Turn or whatever makes you do the other detour option that you didn't choose the first time around :groan: .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »
This is what tvguide says so who to believe? :

Episode Detail: Let's Name Our Chicken Phil - Amazing Race 12
The eight teams dance in Burkina Faso for celebrity judges who can impose a 10-minute penalty for lack of originality; and a new wrinkle in the race causes one team to make an unpopular decision they fear will place a target on their backs.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
So the judges from Dancing with the Stars will appear in a rare reality TV crossover.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2007, 11:30:58 AM »
"Whos your daddy!?"  :yess:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:39:03 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »
They appear to be Bwa plank masks, or Nwantantay. The two figurines at the top are a new wrinkle. What does it mean? Maybe very little; they could still be in Bingo for all I know.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
Kynt/Vyxsin are knocking the socks off the judges ! :wtg: :hearts:

And LOL at having to shake your booty with your DAD!

Thanks puddin--what fun! :kissy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2007, 12:10:24 PM »
From Slowhatch's link

African mask: The Bwa of Mali and Burkina Faso are surrounded by the Bamana in north, the Bobo in the west, the Marka in the east and the Gurunsi and Lobi in the south.

And the map of BF (also from Slowhatch) there are tribe names in red.  They make a boundary of the possible location for the Bwa:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
 :lol3:
LOL -- shake your booty!

LMAO common kynt and vyxsin get first place this week!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2007, 12:19:43 PM »
another tribal map:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »
http://www.tv.com/the-amazing-race/lets-name-our-chicken-phil/episode/1151291/summary.html?tag=ep_list;title;3

The remaining eight teams continue in the fourth leg of the race, and encounter chickens. Shana and Jennifer make a move that some teams consider controversial.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
Thanks banzai but I'm pretty sure tv.com makes up their own descriptions based on the title and after show promo's and I'm starting to wonder if tvguide doesn't do the same?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
Well if it is chickens we may have it covered  :lol3:   ...

Can I just say that it is NEVER a good idea to name something that you are going to eat or see eaten?  :o :'( :o
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:42 PM »
Oh dirty thoughts running through my head! My pussycat is named puddin and I would never eat .... :angel:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2007, 07:04:23 PM »
 :jumpy:
promo when ready!! It's ready just push the arrow.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:40:01 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:23 PM »

more ......

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:37 PM »
    :wohoo:  puddin!

Okay! We have an outline!

Dance to receive your next clue and avoid a ten minute penalty

Detours:

Gold? Mine x  amount of gold

Gulp? Go feed your chicken to the catfish (spec)

Questions:

Where does the bicycle come in? 

And can anyone enlarge and sharpen this shot? If we could get a clearer view of the license tag and the stone mile marker it would help pinpoint our location! :yess:

MIA: Roadblock...will this be the TBC? Is there time to fit the roadblock in?? all to be determined!

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »
But the Break it looks like a detour peach and CBS says it is? Christina says to Ron that hes really good at shaking his booty as she reads the clues by the arrows?
If they feed a live chicken to a catfish I'll eat boogers  :lol3:

I'm calling the detours break it or beak it :elvis:
Roadblock panning for gold?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:35:50 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2007, 08:38:42 PM »
I thought one of the Webclues said teams have to dance IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEIR CLUE? So they get the clue and choose?

So you think mining could be a Roadblock then?

Am I all confused?  Totally possible! :lol3: :dknow :nut: :dknow

They are taking that chicken on it's last drive somewhere....dum dum dum DUM!

Hey--as long as we have something to play with--I don't care!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
People say that we will be going Guinea-Bissau
Evidence: plane with G-B flag

please look for this evidence :)