Author Topic: EP1 commentary  (Read 41088 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP1 commentary
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
OK, who can define what a UTurn and a Speed Bump are?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »
Phil? :lol: I can hear him now: "A U-Turn is ...."

They are saying HERE that  a U-Turn has a team that has a completed one Detour turn back and complete the other one.  Fact? Guess? Your guess is as good as mine!

And I'll go out on a limb here and say that a speed bump just might be designed to slow the racers down. :doh: A time penalty of some sort? Again, this is a guess...

But fun to see how the new wrinkles play out! I am mostly curious about what would make a team deserve one of the new wrinkles? A penalty? An option for some sort of edge? Hmmm....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2007, 09:59:42 AM »
I'm still trying to guess how the other three legs are going to play out. Didn't Phil say that eight legs would be elimination legs? What about those three legs that went unmentioned?
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »
I vote for one Finale and two TBC's...

Or: three TBC's...

Or: :rotf:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
Oh boy, I was caught unaware of this premiere.

And what a good episode that was... I just wish we had a 2 hour season premiere.

U-Turn? Speed Bump? Ow, boy, here we go.

The World is waiting.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »
we just got back in town so I did not get to watch... Thanks everyone for updating!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »
youtubes thanks too TARseason12
http://www.youtube.com/user/TARseason12

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 1

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 2

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 3

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 4

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 5

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 6

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 7

The Amazing Race 12 TAR12 Ep 1 Part 8

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:44:01 AM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
These are the racers commenting on the CBS blog:

Andrew     
Bill    
Dustin        :hearts:
Erwin
Godwin    
James    
John    
Kandice     :hearts:
Kimberly    
Lyn    
Tom &
Terry

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »
Too bad TPTB decided to keep the program to only  60 minutes instead of the traditional 90 or 120 minutes.  The opening sequences through the teams boarding their flights to Ireland took up the usual 18 minutes.  What was missing from the first ep were the scenic shots of the place being visited; program could have included some great scenics of Ireland, which has been one of the better aspects of the race.

A little abrupt having the teams suddenly arrive in Shannon, and no way would Briish Airways use a 747 for a local flight from Heathrow to Shannon, nor would AerLingus use the same plane from Dublin to Shannon as they do from LAX to Dublin.  Oh well, no other visual available I guess.

The cab ride from Shannon to Rossaveel took 2 hours (planes arrived at Shannon at 12:42 and 12:49 and the clock in the ferry terminal showed 2:55 when Azaria and Hendekea bought their ticket for the 4:45 ferry.  I hope they all had enough cash to pay for the cab ride!

Interesting to see TK and Rachel still wandering around in front of the terminal at Shannon as the teams from the BA flight started to come through the doorway.  They must have seen the other teams grab cabs to get on their way.

Didn't matter, we had a nice speed bump at the ferry terminal as all teams got on the 4:45 ferry.

I wonder if the producers had more planned for Inishmore than just to walk up to the church to get the time for the ferry ride back to Rossaveel?

The time of the return trip was a major factor in the placement of the teams at the end.  Teams on the first ferry came in 2, 3, and 4.  Only the winners, Azaria and Hendekea picked up time (and they had the one donkey who raced up the trail passing all others) since they were 30 minutes behind.  But the teams on the last ferry, 90 minutes behind the leaders, ended up 5,6,7,8, and 9.  But two teams on the second ferry ended up as the penultament team and the losers; due to two balking mules.

It was interesting to note that the three teams that arrived on the 8:00 ferry (at 8:55) kept their backpacks on for the bike for two ride, high-wire act, and the donkey pull.  The teams arriving on the following ferries all left their backpacks in their SUVs when the tasks began.  I wonder who gave the latter teams that good advice.  And speaking of Backpacks, it looks like most teams have learned from experience and left all that excess gear at home. Nathan and Jennifer have really small loads.

Considering that the teams arrived back in Rossaveel between 8:55AM and 10:15AM, it looks like the first teams arrived at the mat around noon time, while the final arrivals looked to be several hours later from the way the sun had moved from the side of Phil's head to be full in the face at the end.

At least it is a start, and we detectives had it pretty well cased out along with most of the locations except for the small church on Inishmore.

Now it is onto The Netherlands.!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »
GMAN, The precise amount of money teams received was $419(I found this out from a Web Clip and added this parenthetical note). That will buy the ferry tickets, overnight accommodations on Inismor as well as a very long taxi ride and there should be a bit still left.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:25:56 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2007, 08:41:49 PM »
CBS has a sense of humor, who would have guessed?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
 :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »
That is a RIOT! Yay for the ASSES!  :jumpy:

But--is there anything new tucked inside that second one? I thought I saw some new things...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tarbuckeye

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I Live TAR...Too many days on the Road!
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »
Loved the Donkey's point of view.   :hearts:

Do you think we'll get the great three???

Donkeys, Camels and Monkeys????  :wohoo:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2007, 11:45:43 PM »
Azaria and Hendekea may have finished first in the leg, but the real winners were the donkeys. Phil should have a donkey greeter in every leg.  :lol: :lol:

Donkey greeter: Hee haw!
Phil: Nathan & Jennifer? The donkey says you're the last to arrive.
Phil: The donkey says she's sorry to tell you've been eliminated from the race.
Phil: And she says you two don't know how to treat donkeys.
Phil: And you two must leave here without your possessions.
Jennifer: Hey! That's never happened to an eliminated team before!
Phil: The donkey says it's a new rule. It's for teams who treat donkeys like crap. Now give me your money and backpacks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:58:46 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2007, 01:28:54 AM »
U-Turn ...

some one in AXN-TARA forum had put this idea in forum ...

his idea like ...

for those force to U-Turn ... they have to turn back again and do all task again ... once completed... the can proceed to pit stop ... sound like Fast Forward ... the contra ... from the U-turn ahead, u wont know the next task ... the pro - u may get to pit stop 1st if nxt location/task take longer time ..

LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »
Funniest moment (to me) in Ireland as the teams are trying to find the sign up sheets for the ferries.

Nathan: You are the worst person at this I've ever met.
Jennifer: I'm trying my hardest.
Nathan: I know, Jen.
Jennifer: I know I'm not good at long distance sprinting.

Then comes the big mistake:

Nathan: Every other girl....
Jennifer: I DON'T CARE! DON'T COMPARE ME WITH OTHER GIRLS!!!! (runs away from Nathan)
Nathan: (head down and whispers) Oh my god...
Jennifer: Shut up, Nate!

Nathan learned one lesson the hard way. Never compare your girlfriend with other girls, especially in the heat of the moment. Nathan? Meet stupidity. Stupidity? Please slap Nathan in the face.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »
Kate and Pat add this about the Ireland leg in their new BLOG.

What a trip. What you didn't see... how high that hill climb actually was. The fact that only 5 teams had the luxury of staying in the local hotel. We tried to double up with Jen and Nate but the owner threw us out, sopping wet. Ended up in a hostel, no dinner that night. No indication of our accommodations at the pit stop the next day. How about having to set up our own tent on a damp hillside. No restrooms, a portapotti a quarter of a mile down the hill. Kate's preferance was a nearby pile of rocks. Oh yeah, and did I mention, a cold dinner of ham (which actually wasn't too bad) and a couple of potatoes.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
Sounds piss poor to me.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »
Kate and Pat's blog indicates that in their incident with Ronald and Christina:

1. Kate and Pat were traveling in the wrong direction.
2. There was a verbal altercation between the two teams(which I think was what we saw on the show).
3. That Kate and Pat decided to abandon Ronald and Christina, but a replacement vehicle came by quickly.

From what I saw, the altercation was totally caused by an unreasonable request by Ronald that Kate and Pat turn their car around and come to them. I believe the applicable phrase is "Beggars can't be choosers," but apparently Ronald never learned that despite Christina efforts to put it into perspective for him.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2007, 10:44:58 AM »
This was seen in the Innertube videos. Ronald is a bit of a hothead. Kind of reminds me of my dad.
Just here to visit.