Author Topic: EP3: 'Please, Lord, Give Me Milk !'  (Read 89569 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: EP3: 'Please, Lord, Give Me Milk !'
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
We look to be in a bind here; not much progress.

So far we have:

Receive clue at pit stop to fly to OUAGADOUGOU.  Jason and Lorena read clue while it is still dark; Grandpa and Nickolas read it after sunrise (5:34AM)

Teams fly from AMS to CDG and then on to that desert resort in Upper Volta or rather Burkina Faso.

Are all the teams able to get to CDG for the 10:30AM AF flight to O.?

The sun is setting as the teams arrive.  Sunset at 6:35 PM

First teams must find some local location to watch an indiginous dance ceremony.  Teams than camp out over night waiting for first light and taxi to railroad station to catch train to Gorom-Gorom.

Finally, after arriving perhaps by taxi from Dori, find clue for DETOUR.  Two task typical of the Sahel region of Burkina Faso: (1) Herd camels; teams must capture and lead pairs of camels to the camel market. (2) Swat 100 black flies.  Each task has its own pros and cons. Clue leads them to:

ROADBLOCK.  One member of the team must milk a camel (female, of course) fill a gourd with milk and carry it to the dairy master to receive their next clue.

Proceed to the final pit stop: "Bingo!" Jenny says thinking they have won and will get a nice trip to Hawaii, but once there Phil does not Philimate anyone, but tells them "You are still racing; here is your next clue."

Teams run to the local airstip, short dirt track, and sign up for departure the next morning by charter plane to Niamey, Niger.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:18:18 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »

So far we have:

Receive clue at pit stop to fly to OUAGADOUGOU.  Jason and Lorena read clue while it is still dark; Grandpa and Nickolas read it after sunrise (5:34AM)

Teams fly from AMS to CDG and then on to that desert resort in Upper Volta or rather Burkina Fa.

First teams must find some local location to watch an indiginous dance ceremony.  Teams than camp out over night waiting for first light and taxi to railroad station to catch train to Gorum-Gorum.

Finally, after arriving perhaps by taxi from Dori, find clue for DETOUR.  Two task typical of the Sahil region of Burkina Faso: (1) Herd camels; teams must capture and lead pairs of camels to the camel market. (2) Swat 100 black flies.  Clue leads them to:

ROADBLOCK.  One member of the team must milk a camel (female, of course) fill a gourd with milk and carry it to the dairy master to receive their next clue.

Proceed to the final pit stop: "Bingo!", but once there Phil does not Philimate anyone, but tells them "You are still racing; here is your next clue."

Well done!  I like it ... especially the fly part.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
CHATEAU (or anyone else that wants to take this on), I had an idea on how to settle the question of whether the rail line goes north of Kaya. I fired up Google Earth, which I hadn't used in a while, and set in on Kaya. The best resolution in that area was so indistinct that I could only distinguish two lines going north. I cannot tell if both are roads or if one is a road and the other is a railroad. Perhaps someone else trying it will get better results and if there is a rail line can track how far north it actually goes.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »
GMAN, the geographic spelling police have caught up to you. It's Gorom-Gorom and Sahel, with different vowels than you were using.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
GMAN, the geographic spelling police have caught up to you. It's Gorom-Gorom and Sahel, with different vowels than you were using.

So noted!  You're better than a spellchecker :jumpy:

Looked at the promo from last night again.  To settle question of a railroad, we have shots of camels crossing over a railroad track.  Looks new (at least rail is not rusted) and of narrow guage.  This scene runs right into scenes of Grumppy and Daughter leading camels.  So wherevere they are if not Gorom-Gorom, then there is a railroad line in the area.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
I noted the camel(singular, not plural since I saw only one) crossing over the rail line behind the rail car. It does raise an interesting question of how camels are available where the rail line is since there is no evidence I have found of any around Ouagadougou or Kaya. There are several possibilities:

1. There is somewhere between Ouagadougou and Kaya that has camels.
2. The rail line has been extended north to a place that has camels.
3. Since there are over 15000 camels in the country, a stray camel being sighted along the existing rail line is no particular big deal and the real camel action is still in Gorom-Gorom.

It should not surprise you that I believe option #3 is much more probable than the other 2 options. My rationale is that the Sahel-like conditions that we see in the screencaps involving camels are best found in the Sahel.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
Someone is leading this camel, the blondes I think and I'll try to get a better screenshot later

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
Where do we think the leading of the camels takes place in the episode? Before/After RB -- if it's before the blondes are behind because they are leading them as the storm is coming.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
I have found a railroad leading out of Kaya, though it only shows at a very low resolution on this software I am trying to follow it.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2007, 02:06:56 PM »
ok i have followed that railway line and it goes all the way to the Niger border pretty much, bar about 3 miles.  I can post screen shots however it only shows if I am at a 6 mile scale.  Could be a few pictures. 
I think this is up to date information i have just (last week)tracked my brother through Kenya via GPS

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
patlini, please don't keep us in suspense. Does that line go to Dori and then east to the Niger border? does it go north from Dori to Markoy? How does it go?

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »
sorry apskip someone came in my office....

here is the end of the line

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
green line is the border, i will post the full line now  - hopefully in order

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »
rail line

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »
last picture is repeat of above, i think these ones detail the towns the line goes by.  Dori is included.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »
Nicely done patlini :thankyou:  :hugs:

These are labeled Dori

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »

So far we have:

Teams fly from AMS to CDG and then on to that desert resort in Upper Volta or rather Burkina Faso.

First teams must find some local location to watch an indiginous dance ceremony.  Teams than camp out over night waiting for first light and taxi to railroad station to catch train to Gorom-Gorom.

Finally, after arriving perhaps by taxi from Dori, find clue for DETOUR.  Two task typical of the Sahel region of Burkina Faso: (1) Herd camels; teams must capture and lead pairs of camels to the camel market. (2) Swat 100 black flies.  Each task has its own pros and cons. Clue leads them to:

Proceed to the final pit stop: "Bingo!" Jenny says thinking they have won and will get a nice trip to Hawaii, but once there Phil does not Philimate anyone, but tells them "You are still racing; here is your next clue."

Teams run to the local airstip, short dirt track, and sign up for departure the next morning by charter plane to Niamey, Niger.

Exactly.  :jam:

.....(or better still...charter to Timbuktu.)  :jumpy:

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »
Nicely done patlini :thankyou:  :hugs:

These are labeled Dori

So glad I could finally contribute something  :yess:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
patlini, it's a terrific contribution. Thanks. Your work does not settle the question of precisely where the camel action is, but in combination with puddin's photo of the camels in Dori it limts the possibilities, which is an excellent thing.

I searched hard for photos of Dori, found few, and none had any camels.

At this point, Markoye is in the Sahel and would be the top choice from the camels' point of view. However, the knowledge that there are really camels in the Dori area is sufficient to make that my favorite since Dori is directly on the main northern route to Niger and from Markoye they have to take the unpaved road to Gorom-Gorom and then the paved road south to Dori, maybe 80km total, to get to Dori. From Dori teams would just go east and cross into Niger. This may not seem like much, but the extra 2 hours round-trip up to Markoye and back could be critical and I don't think World Race Productions would have designed it to take the extra distance and time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:48:30 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
:yourock: patlini !!

Marokoye is really REALLY hard to find as far as pictures so search Sahel--

this labled désert du Sahel

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
 :camel  :gj: :ty3:

Nice job patlini! Thanks so much for doing all that.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2007, 08:05:15 PM »
:camel  :gj: :ty3:

Nice job patlini! Thanks so much for doing all that.

no problem glad to help   :tup:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
If the train goes from Ouagadougou to Dori, perhaps that makes a better location than Gorom-Gorom for the playtime with the camels.

apskip, you seem good at finding schedules, etc., anything on the Mossi Railroad that might make this all possible?  I'm guessing that the teams would travel on the RR the morning after arrival in Ouagadougou.  This would give them time to do the tasks before the storm closes things down.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2007, 10:05:01 PM »
GMAN, I had previously tried top find any schedules availables. Please remember that we are referring to a third world country and they do not operate in as sophisticated a manner as we are used to seeing in transportatio systems in first world countries.

I did find once again the source material stating that the rail line ends in Kaya. Here it is from Answer.com:

Transport in Burkina Faso
The current version of the article was imported from the CIA World Factbook.

Railways
A rail link connects Ouagadougou and Bobo-Dioulasso with the port of Abidjan in Côte d’Ivoire: the line from Ouagadougou to the Nigerien capital Niamey stops at Kaya. Instability in Côte D’Ivoire in 2003 forced a rerouting of rail freight from the Abidjan corridor to ports in Togo, Benin, and Ghana via the road network. A proposed rail link between Ouagadougou and Pô in Burkina Faso and Kumassi and Bonakra in Ghana, has been discussed with Ghanaian officials, and feasibility studies are being undertaken to explore this possibility, which would provide rail access to the inland port of Bonakra. Burkina Faso and Ghana use different rail gauges.

total: 622 km (517 km from Ouagadougou to the excellent deepwater port at Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire (on the border) and 105 km from Ouagadougou to Kaya)
narrow gauge: 622 km 1.000-m gauge (1995 est.)

Railway links with adjacent countries
Mali - no - same gauge 1000mm
Niger - no railways
Benin - no - same gauge 1000mm
Togo - no - same gauge 1000mm
Ghana - no - break of gauge - 1000mm/1067mm
Côte d'Ivoire - yes - same gauge 1000mm

An Indian proposal has surfaced to link the railways in Benin and Togo with landlocked Niger and Burkino Faso.

A Czech proposal has also surfaced to link Ghana railways with Burkina Faso. [1]. The manganese deposits near Dori are one source of traffic.

Towns served by rail
Banfora
Bobo-Dioulasso
Koudougou
Ouagadougou - capital
Kaya - terminus

It appears that the CIA may be wrong.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »
The saddles seen in this preview cap (source) are interesting. The usual practice for Touareg saddles is to adorn the front with a stylized agades cross (see here). But the curved front can be seen to the north in Mali, as well as the Bella Gorom Gorom picture I've already cited.