Author Topic: EP3: 'Please, Lord, Give Me Milk !'  (Read 89541 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: EP3: 'Please, Lord, Give Me Milk !'
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »
Sunrise is at 5:34AM

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:26 PM »
1. It is likely to be a TBC in spite of what TAR Asia indicates and MICHAEL D wants.

puddin asked for opinions and we gave it.  :groan:

I am beginning to feel that this might be a TBC episode too though.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »
Here's the CBS Distribution Map for Sunday. The areas in red will get the Steelers-Jets game.

This will include SE Texas, New Orleans, parts of Mississippi, Atlanta (sorry, Peach), Tampa-St. Pete, parts of South Carolina, most of North Carolina, eastern and western Viriginia, most of West Virginia, Cincinnati, eastern KY, most of PA except Philadelphia, most of Wisconsin, most of Michigan, most of New York including NYC and Albany, northern NJ and all of Connecticut. So be ready for a delay of TAR in the affected areas.

Arizona gets the game too, but won't experience a delay.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2007, 01:19:58 PM »
TRAVEL TO GOROM-GOROM

Here is some new information, primarily about bus travel in the Sahel region of northeastern Burkina Faso(where most of the camels are), to address the possibility of gorom-gorom being the place where the camel action takes place. Keep in mind that July 14 will be Saturday morning, so I have deleted parts that apply to other days of the week. Also, the road from Ouagadougou was laid with tarmac in 2006 as far as Dori to prevent washouts during the rainy season. AR12 teams would presumably switch from rail to road in Kaya where the rail runs out. That might involve charter mini-buses(that seems the most sensible to me since eveyone will have to be on the same train and there is only one road to Gorom-Gorom that goes from Ouagadougou to Kaya to Dori to Gorom-Gorom. Below is information on the limited public bus options:

To Dori from Ouagadougou: There are 3 options: SOGEBAF, TSR, and STMB. SOGEBAF and TSR go from Ouaga to Dori twice daily, and occasionally SOGEBAF will add additional busses if there is demand or to go to Gorom and Markoye. SOGEBAF and TSR both leave from the Sankariare gare de SOGEBAF. (The TSR station is directly next to the SOGEBAF station) They both leave at 7h and 16h. Ouaga- Dori costs 5000 cfa.  On Sunday both companies send a bus to Markoye at the same time. STMB goes from Ouaga to Dori but only once a day. The bus leaves from the main STMB bus station at 15h. It costs 5000cfa.

From Dori to other parts of the Sahel: Go to the gare routiere de Dori. It is actually the same place as the STMB gare. At the gare you will find lots of bush taxis going to all sorts of destinations. It is uncertain where or when they actually go. It can be said that they don’t go there that often. Marché day in Dori(thursday) will definitely provide more options. Definitely only once day or maybe only once a week. Good luck.

From Dori to Gorom-Gorom: Go next door to the TSR gare and ask about anything going to Gorum. There is almost always at least one camion per day going to Gorum. The rainy season will definitely make the trip a lot more difficult, offering fewer cars and depending on the level of the water can be impassable in places. Alternatively, as stated earlier, SOGEBAF and maybe TSR go direct from Ouaga to Gorum on Wednesday at 10h and to Markoye Sunday at 10h.

Editor's Note - July 14 is indeed a Saturday as pointed out by a later post by GegorgiaPeach. However, as anticipated by Peach it has no impact on the deletions I made from my original source.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:04:16 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
Pa. here but if not Philly I can pick it up on UHF antenna  :yess: thanks Ken!

Michael is right I did ask for opinions on TBC and have a few thoughts --
In Lorena's scene with the camel she has a confessional but we don't see it, probably because it is given somewhere they don't want us to see as in the pitstop.
TPTB for once have not shown us the teams arriving at the pitstop (how dare they!)
So, I'll go with the so called TBC this week as well -- no boobie prize this week for first place :yikes
Note: I'm not playing the games so really don't care either way if a team is eliminated or not but there are a few I'd like to see go out like now ;D!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
CAMELS

Here are two photos of camels taken in Gorom-Gorom. Note the vegetation in the background and decide how good the match is on the vegetation we have in similar screenshots: CAMELS Gorom-Gorom

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »
Here is some information on the SAHEL region from a Christian missionary:

The Sahelian Environment
 The province has low rainfall, about 300mm(10 inches)/yr, and the landscape for most of the year is dry, generally covered in sparse acacia trees and the occasional baobab.
It has traditionally been pasture land for the nomadic Fulani and their cattle. As other peoples have moved into the area, increasingly marginal land is being used to farm millet and sorghum, the only crops that really grow in the zone. The increasing population pressure on the land results in the erosion of fertile land and the advance of the desert. The first sand dunes are found here, and in June, as the rainy season is approaching, occasional sand storms roll across the landscape, blocking out the sun.

The Development of the Sahel
The Sahel is the least developed part of Burkina. It is a vastly rural area, used predominantly for livestock, with some farming. There has however been some success in building dams to harvest the rain that falls between July-Sept, to irrigate previously uncultivated land for rainy season rice fields. The zone has been struck by frequent droughts and locust swarms, making for a fragile existence and the well-publicised famines of 1973, 1984, and 2005. Climatic conditions seem to be getting worse with global warming, deforestation and the advance of the desert. The government and development agencies have invested in environmental protection and in reforestation programmes, but wood is increasingly scarce - being sought for daily life in cooking as well as for building. Experiments with alternatives for cooking fuel and for building materials inevitably meet resistance because of cost, inconvenience, and reluctance to leave tradition.
Human development in the region is also the most fragile in the country, with low literacy and life expectancy. Oudalan, for example, has a population of about 170 000, with a literacy rate of 8%, a life expectancy of 42, and with only 2 doctors and 34 nurses for the whole province.

There is little in the way of infrastructure, although the first paved road in the area was recently finished in 2006, linking Dori to the nation's capital, Ouagadougou.

The Sahelian Peoples and Culture
The Sahel is inhabited primarily by the Fulani, but there are also many Tamacheq and Songhai especially in Oudalan, and Kurumba villages around Djibo. The southern border of the sahel meets the "Mossi plateau", and some Mossi and other peoples from the south work in the sahel, mostly in commerce or government services, such as teaching, health, or police.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »
If the teams go north by bus; what do the scenes with the train mean?  Could this be at the end of the ep with teams headed for Niger?  We see Nathan on the train dressed like we have not seen him before.  Could ep 3 end with teams on the way to Niger after getting the go ahead clue for the TBC at the mat?  Questions on top of questions.

But perhaps once again editors are teasing us with a shot of Nathan in his red tank top from ep 4 in the promo for ep 3 as they did with the shot of Jenny landing in the ditch shown as part of ep 1 promo

Arn't the Tamacheq known as the Blue Men?  We see such a man with a blue turbin walking between Grouch and his  daughter leading the camels.

What are the train schedules from O to Niger late in the day of the 14th or early AM on the 15th?

Come on Puddin and apskip help me out :hearts:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:42:20 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:33 PM »
Camel market in Gorom-Gorom.  Saddles sure look the same.

http://csinburkinafaso.com/images/clsph4web/camel_market2.JPG

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
If the teams go north by bus; what do the scenes with the train mean?  Could this be at the end of the ep with teams headed for Niger?  We see Nathan on the train dressed like we have not seen him before.  Could ep 3 end with teams on the way to Niger after getting the go ahead clue for the TBC at the mat?  Questions on top of questions.

But perhaps once again editors are teasing us with a shot of Nathan in his red tank top from ep 4 in the promo for ep 3 as they did with the shot of Jenny landing in the ditch shown as part of ep 1 promo

Arn't the Tamacheq known as the Blue Men?  We see such a man with a blue turbin walking between Grouch and his  daughter leading the camels.

What are the train schedules from O to Niger late in the day of the 14th or early AM on the 15th?

Come on Puddin and apskip help me out :hearts:

GMAN, I'll help you out, but you may not like it. The train runs west from Ouagadougou to the Ivory Coast border, but it is shut down there. My best guess is that you won't find camels in that direction. You could find a very long bus ride from Bobo Dioulasso to Bamako, Mali to reach the second country and get out of Africa, but I don't believe that happened. The most sensible, logical thing is for teams to be sent to where the camels and Tuareg people are, in the Sahel region found in the northeast corner of Burkina Faso. The train only will take them to end of the line at Kaya, so they will have to switch to road transport to get to Dori and then on to Gorom-Gorom, the center of camel trading in Burkina Faso. After all tasks are done there, I predict the TBC will happen. That clue will then send teams to Niger. Since there are no trains possible, it will have to be by road.

Teams will backtrack 56km to Dori and go maybe another 300 km by road from there to Niamey.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
I am a relatively new subsscriber to TV Guide. May I point out the following stark contrast:

Nov. 18 - The nine teams must milk several stubborn camels to receive a clue.

Nov. 25 - Another team is eliminated.

Dec. 2 - Another team is eliminated from the race.

Do you all understand the significance of what is different between Nov. 18 and Nov. 25 and Dec. 2?

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »
Sure sort of means a TBC this week.

Thanks for input, apskip.  So that seems to say that they will be taking the train from O north.  So the scene of Nathan with the red tank top looking out of the train as it arrives somewhere fits here.  But when we seem him and Jenny next, he is wearing the green long-sleeved shirt with white tee shirt showing. Where does the red tank come in?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2007, 03:15:55 PM »
I am a relatively new subsscriber to TV Guide. May I point out the following stark contrast:

Do you all understand the significance of what is different between Nov. 18 and Nov. 25 and Dec. 2?

Its generic "Another team is eliminated from the race." and always inserted before details are up.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

Its generic "Another team is eliminated from the race." and always inserted before details are up.
Sings *One of these things is not like the other*.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2007, 03:24:56 PM »
It just struck me one of the major reasons besides camels that AR12 was planned to go northeast. In the south of Burkina Faso, including I think Ouagadougou and Bobo Dioulasso and Fada N'Gourma, the average rainfall falling in the 4 summer months is 40 inches. However, in the far north it is sub-Saharan conditions and the rainfall is only 10 inches per year. The probability of travel disruption due to a monsoon is tremendously reduced and that extends over to the western tip of Niger too.

During the rainy season it looks like the northern route from Ouagadougou to Niamey through Dori is preferred rather than the shorter southern route through Fada N'Gourma. I believe that World Race Productions discovered that during their research and then set up the race route accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:24:13 PM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
According to Slowhatch's cool map of BF in Maps^3 the Voie Ferrée (means railway) was planned to extend all the way up into Touareg Provence and end somewhere around the town of Markoy.  The map is kind of old.  The website is dated 2005.  So maybe this track is a reality now. 

Trains all-the-way   ;D
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
Another possibility and used quite often by TPTB is charter flights.  There are airports with charter companies in Dori and Gorom Gorom.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »
Another possibility and used quite often by TPTB is charter flights.  There are airports with charter companies in Dori and Gorom Gorom.

Yes, the runways are 5085 feet for Gorom-Gorom and 3937 feet for Dori. That is not up to international standards, but it's quite adequate for landing a small charter plane.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »
According to Slowhatch's cool map of BF in Maps^3 the Voie Ferrée (means railway) was planned to extend all the way up into Touareg Provence and end somewhere around the town of Markoy.  The map is kind of old.  The website is dated 2005.  So maybe this track is a reality now. 

Trains all-the-way   ;D
Chateau, we'll see. However, planned railroad projects have a way of not getting built in Africa. They just managed to pave the road from Dori to Gorom-Gorom last year. Why would they be more timely in completing a rail line extension? I have examined a lot of information about railroads in Burkina Faso and I have not since a single word about what you mention.

The line on Slowhatch's map goes to Markoy by skirting Gorom-Gorom. Markoy is equally a center of camels and would be feasible from that perspective. The question is whether being that much farther from Niamey is a good idea. There is no paved road back from Markoy to Gorom-Gorom to get to the main road from Dori to Niamey.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:36:18 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:35 PM »
Just walked in the door and haven't had time to absorb all this wonderful new research yet but have two things to add quickly...

Apparently Bobo is the music center of BF and particularly for drumming/street drumming...

And
Keep in mind that July 14 will be Sunday morning,
apskip not sure it makes any difference in your travel arrangements...but July 14 was a Saturday.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2007, 08:12:18 PM »

:crazy time? not me  :lol:

one more thing then I swear I'm leaving!

The text in that first picture (post 115)  is different and it has last names.  This does not look like CBS footage?! :o
It was from meet the teams gator, I was sorting out what color bags TK & Rachel had that was all as well as the sisters clothing.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2007, 08:19:30 PM »
Just walked in the door and haven't had time to absorb all this wonderful new research yet but have two things to add quickly...

Apparently Bobo is the music center of BF and particularly for drumming/street drumming...

And
Keep in mind that July 14 will be Sunday morning,
apskip not sure it makes any difference in your travel arrangements...but July 14 was a Saturday.

Thats right peach,  I checked to be sure with the time difference and all. The Walshs are from Philly, cool! I happened to have been married to a Walsh at one time .. what are the odds? hmmmmmmmm  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
CHATEAU states "
Where is your evidence for teams arriving in Dubrovnik on July 18th?  I bet that TK and Rachel arrive there on the 19th as Eilan has reported.
That could have happened, but if so it will be really difficult to fit in Vilnius, Jaisalmer(or somewhere else in northern India), Osaka, and Taipei, then arrive in Girdwood in time for July 29. The best way for that to happen is if teams arrive into Dubrovnik on July 18 and depart from there July 20. My evidence is pure logistical logic which more often than not proves to give the right answer.
Maybe they go to Split on the 18th? I dunno just thinking out loud. Now that I think about it --didn't the teams say their flight was late or something on the 18th? I'll have to read the spoiler thread again.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »

god this episode is so confusing i need some guidance :(

Let me guide you Michael  :crazy :word:

These are some of the places mentioned throughout this thread, I concur that the teams will most likely go to one or more of the below places  :rotf: :carryon:
(sorry if some are repeated)

Ghana
Rural solidarity Burkina-Faso Morbihan.
Dourtenga
Questembert and La Gacilly
Koupela in Kourtenga province to Fada N'Gourma
Niamey
Borgo
Benin,
Côte d’Ivoire,
Mali,
Niger
and Togo
Bobodioulasso Bobo Dioulasso,
Timbuktu
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Koudougou
Tambao
Donsin
Kaya
Gorom-Gorom
Markoye
Fada N'Gourma

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »
PUDDIN - thank you for your thorough input. However, I think that list is insanely long and you need to cut some of those countries and/or cities down. Furthermore, I think you need to turn on the spell-check feature!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:58:23 PM by Michael D »