Author Topic: Marianna Ruiz and Julia Ruiz - TAR12  (Read 15867 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Marianna Ruiz and Julia Ruiz - TAR12
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »

Marianna & Julia
Sisters
Marianna: Miami, FL
25, Art Gallery Manager

Julia: Miami, FL
26, Production Assistant

These feisty sisters describe themselves as best friends and worst enemies, but they’re convinced they’ll make for an unbeatable Team. Julia serves as the problem solver while Marianna is the athlete. Both are super-competitive and relying on each other may pose some problems.

Marianna claims that the biggest difference between the two sisters is that Julia is emotional while she is as steady as a rock. She describes herself as energetic and sarcastic while Julia describes herself as creative and witty.

Julia is admittedly more sensitive than her sister but is also quick to point out that Marianna doesn't have a sensor button and that at times she can be quite mean. She and her sister have traveled together on numerous occasions and are hoping their experiences will give them an advantage against some of the competition. When asked which Teams they would model their game play after - they both choose past winners BJ and Tyler for their positive energy approach towards the game. As they put it , “Positive energy creates positive results.”

Both sisters will do whatever it takes to advance their standing in the Race, even if it means flirting their way past the competition.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:19:40 AM by Kogs »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Marianna Ruiz and Julia Ruiz - TAR12
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:40:29 AM »
You have to love sisters!! Very pretty girls  :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
 :hearts:

Kiwi Jay

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:58:54 AM »
I LUV IT...I LUV IT...I LUV IT!!!!

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:29:57 PM »
the pic makes them look stuck up

Kiwi Jay

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
Sorry Texan I am not being rude but dont you think you are being extremely negative to every team?!!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »
They're beautiful gals!  Hope as sisters, they try hard to work together effectively and use their skills wisely. :tup:

Offline bingobaby1

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
Interview with Marianna and Julia...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hda8qRJjx38

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
thanks bingobaby :hearts:

Offline bingo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
Um are they allowed to do interviews?  that seems strange i thought they were not allowed to unless they were eliminated hmmmm seems strange to me?  Do anyone else know if there is like an official rule?

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 10:54:37 PM »
They seem like winners to me. I'll be rooting for them.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »
INTERVIEW: Marianna and Julia Ruiz talk about 'The Amazing Race'
By Christopher Rocchio, 11/19/2007

Marianna and Julia Ruiz stopped playing the game for only a moment.

But that brief mental lapse ended up costing the Los Angeles-based sisters, as they became the third team eliminated from The Amazing Race's twelfth season during last night's broadcast of the CBS reality series.

On Monday, Marianna, a 25-year-old art gallery manager, and her older sister Julia, a 26-year-old office production assistant, talked to Reality TV World about why a misunderstanding with one of the others teams ruined a potential alliance; how their maps mysteriously vanished between legs; what stopped their donkey from moving and their camel from giving milk; and how a friendly gesture directly led to their ouster.
 :lol:
Reality TV World:  What approach did you take in eventually mobilizing your donkey?

Marianna:  I basically shoved my hand up its ass, and it went running.  :lol:

Reality TV World:   You took a longer route to get to Shannon's airport at the beginning of the second leg, causing you to be the only team to take a later flight to Dublin.  Where did you get the directions for that longer route?

Marianna:  I don't know if that's something we can talk about...
Julia:  Well basically we had maps before the [first leg's] Pit Stop, then after the Pit Stop, we didn't have maps.  Somehow, those maps disappeared...

Reality TV World:  Okay, but you can't say how they disappeared?

Julia:  Well, I mean whatever.  It was a fault in production.  Somebody confiscated our maps and our written directions, and they're not going to air that obviously.  So we ended up at 3AM with no maps to get to Ireland airport!  They show me saying, "I don't remember if this is the route [to the airport]," because I didn't photographically memorize the maps.  They didn't really take the maps from the other teams, so we basically honestly went by photographic memory of how we got there (laughing).  We took the route that we used to get to the harbor to take the ferry to get to Inis Mor...
Marianna:  I thought that we even made it back to that airport is unbelievable...
Julia:  That was so amazing to us!  We stopped along the way -- finally -- and found out that there had been a quicker route, but it was already too late.

Reality TV World:   How long did that Roadblock actually take?

Julia:  I would say about four hours... They didn't show it, but that whole sandstorm that came through to the other [teams], came to us.  It was insane, insane, insane intensity.  It was like a wall of sand coming at us.  It was rain, and then lightning, and...

Reality TV World:  So I'm assuming that made the Roadblock even more difficult for you?

Julia:  The camels would like scrunch up.  They would go down to the ground to keep their body temperature high.  So you couldn't even get them to stand up to milk them!  It was pretty intense...

Reality TV World:   So once you finished that Roadblock challenge, what was your reasoning in offering Lorena Segura help by suggesting she try to milk a nursing camel?  Did you every consider that offering the advice could come back and bite you like it did?

Julia:  At that point in the game, I'm going to say I really, really wasn't thinking about the game anymore.  At that moment in time, it was really about taking care of another human being.   Because one of the trees during the sandstorm where one of the camels had been tied up got struck by lightning, and I'm like, "You guys!  For the sake of the game, it's really not that important!"  So I honestly was telling her... After Ireland, we really started liking Lorena and [her partner Jason Widener] a lot because they took us in.  So it was really more like... It's not about the race.  Get the milk!  It's not worth dying for the milk!!

Reality TV World:   A couple of teams mentioned lack of sleep as a reason to pick "Teach It."  How much sleep had you guys had before the Detour?

Marianna:  You're sleep deprived.  You haven't had anything to eat.  You're basically... It's really intense.  It's a really intense race.  Even when you do sleep -- you're so in race-mode -- that you would wake-up with nightmares.  It's like, "Oh!  We've got to go!"  You don't realize it's 2AM and you're sleeping on the ground under a mosquito net and you really don't have to be anywhere for another four hours.  You're definitely, definitely sleep deprived.

Reality TV World:   How far behind Lorena and Jason were you in reaching the third leg's Pit Stop?

Marianna:  Just over a minute...  :o

more here  http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/interview-marianna-and-julia-ruiz-talk-about-the-amazing-race-6119.php

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
Buddy TV Interview

Sometimes, camels are dry.  This is what happened to the sister team of Marianna and Julia on The Amazing Race 12, in the small village of Bingo in Burkina Faso.  Julia tried to milk her camel, but it took over four hours and when she was done the sisters found themselves in the back of the pack.  Marianna and Julia were fierce competitors, drawing the ire of a number of their fellow Amazing Race teams.  The sisters stopped by earlier today to discuss their time on the show.

Below you will find the full transcript as well as the mp3 audio of the interview.

Can you talk a little bit about how you ended up on The Amazing Race. Were you big fans of the show beforehand? Was it your first time applying?

Julia: It was our first time applying, but we've been watching since season one. My sister and I, it's the first time ... actually there's four of us. Two older brothers and two younger sisters and we all wanted to do it with each other. But it's the first time within our adult lives that we were old enough to, that we lived together in the same city and were able to, you know? And we made an application and we got it.

What was the most surprising thing that you hadn't anticipated once you got on the race?

Marianna: I think all the different aspects to the race. How it had so many ... you know it's not only based on your physical ability but also on your mental ability and a lot of other factors that are out of your control. You're expected to walk into this race being able to control everything. Like relying on yourself mostly for how far you get. And a lot of the things are out of your control and it makes it tough and it makes it so that anybody can pass up and no matter who you are or what you can do or what you've done, it's anybody's game really. And that kind of surprised us a little bit I think.

Like the camels last night, do you think any part of that was the milking technique that you guys were using? Or was it more the camels you had to use were dry?

Julia: My camel was dry. So there ya go. Like I said when there's milk, you can milk the camel because until I got to move camels, there really was not a drop coming out of my camel. And at first I was like: ‘Okay maybe I'm screaming and scaring the camel,' but in reality there was just not milk. Finally the guy that was holding my camel, the farmer said to me: ‘Yeah, no milk.' And I was like: ‘Oh yeah, thanks.' We weren't allowed to change until all the other teams were done anyway.

Do you regret helping Lorena out with the camel as you guys left?

Julia: I don't regret anything. I mean karma is how karma is and I thought that you know, after we had been out there through a rainstorm with it raining, crazy wind storm, sand storm ... we had been, I mean they didn't show the extent of that. We were there probably about four or four and a half hours out there trying to milk camels and when the rain came, they all lowered their bodies to the ground. It's just something they did ... and you couldn't even milk them for a good amount of time because they were all laying on the floor. So when we were leaving she had been through that whole struggle with me and at that point, you know, to me it's about trying to help other people out at the same time. The race wasn't what was so important at that point in time. After four hours of struggling it was just like, let me just not have to see someone else struggle for another four hours.

How far did you actually finish behind Lorena and Jason last night on the show?

About a minute and 25 seconds.

Was there anything over the first three episodes that you guys wish they had shown of you that they had edited out?

Julia: What don't we wish (laughter). There were a lot of really big things going on, we had issues with Ron and Christina. With the other teams, none of them liked us from the get-go, but we tried to make alliances and we tried to make friends, but for some reason after we didn't exchange euros the entire extent of the island life, all the other teams thought we were lying about it. Like it automatically became we'll lie about anything if not we're just making stuff up. So I don't know what happened or how it happened, it must have been we were so aggressive and so competitive and we're always so driven and just focused, other teams just didn't warm up to that. They're like: ‘There are ten other teams in the place.' So we didn't really hit it off with the other teams and I wish they would have showed that a little more. Why we were having such struggle at the back of the pack, because we were basically on our own while all the other teams were just helping each other out.

What did you think of Donald's comments about you guys last night?

Julia: I think he's great. I think it's funny and whatever I'm not going to take offense to somebody calling me bitchy. I love grams. We love gramps. Gramps was just like everybody's dad in the race. Except he was like the dirty old dad that you don't bring around your friends.

He has no problem taking all his clothes off or anything, right?

Julia: Yeah. I was like: ‘Come on gramps.'

Is there anything in your guys' future that you'd like to talk about? Just back to normal? Or what?

Marianna: I'm debating going to New York for a little while and seeing what I can pick up out there. If not ...

Julia: We take it day by day, you know? I'm writing. I'm not actually writing right now because the WGA is on strike, but I'm actually writing a screenplay that was a vision of mine since I was a little girl. So I'm really excited about it.

-Interview Conducted by Oscar Dahl

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:49:32 AM »
I have to comment that the music during the sandstorm was outstanding! One of the best episodes ever!!
Also, not a spoiler, rather speculation, sounds like the sisters never made amends with Ron & Christina in sequesterville.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
One more! Reality Wanted Interview

A. Marinna, The Amazing Race 12: We did point out the camel and it ended up helping her out. I have been getting calls from family members asking why we did this. We felt like we were all in a war of sorts. At the time I cared more about Lorena than I did the race. I wanted to help her get out of there and it’s what my gut told me to do at the time.

Q. Mark: RealityWanted.com: Did they end up thanking you guys after you were eliminated?

A. Julia, The Amazing Race 12: At the time they did not, but we actually watched last nights episode with Jason and Lorena and they did say thanks.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
They better say thanks. Without that, Lorena's screaming on the mat.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
Did anyone notice how pissed they seemed in their Mat Chat? Like they were angry with TPTB about more than just being elim'd?

Wonder about those missing maps??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »
I think Julia was disappointed in being eliminated. Sometimes in those situations, there's nothing one can say and I can understand that. She did talk in the webclip.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »
If you go to the insider clips, EP2, the sisters bought a book, I wonder if thats what was taken by TPTB?
http://www.cbs.com/innertube/index.php?src=email&vid=168828&format=wmv

ETA: Duh nevermind they bought it on the way to Amsterdam

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 12:18:42 AM »
IGN TV: Watching the show, was there anything you saw that really surprised you?

Julia: Well, we couldn't stand Ron and Chris basically, the whole show. So it was interesting to see why we couldn't stand them so much. They make it seem like Chris is such the innocent one and she's… In this last episode, you see a little more of the spice coming out of Chris, but yeah… There's a very interesting dynamic there.

Marianna: She's the one that pulls the wool over your eyes. At least if we were bitchy, everybody knew that we were bitchy, and we weren't really trying to hide it. It's an open competition and you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but she was just like playing the innocent one and like going around and…

Julia: …Manipulating everybody.

Marianna: Yeah, definitely. We were just openly like "No! We're not cool with her at all." And I think because we were openly not cool with her and she was going around manipulating everybody else, and fooling them into believing that she was actually cool and good people or whatever, that kind of hurt us a little bit. Because everybody was like "Oh, well, Christina's so nice and they don't like her. They must be bitches!" Slowly but surely, it'll come around to everybody finding out…

Julia: Oh yeah, you can see more of it in this episode. "Daddy, shut up," basically.

IGN TV: Is there a particular incident early on that caused problems between you guys?

Julia: Well, first in Ireland, we never exchanged for Euros, our entire voyage through Ireland, after Ireland, whatever. We never went to an exchange counter and exchanged for Euros because I think we saw it in the states and it was at such a crazy, inflated price that we were like "ugh!" So we calculated what it actually is and upped it by maybe a .6 and started negotiating with our cab drivers to exchange our [cash]. For some reason this concept was so strange to Ron that he was like "Yeah, right! I don't know any cab drivers that are going to accept pineapples for cab fair," saying that why would, where the Euro is accepted, anyone accept an American dollar? It's like "Yeah, the American dollar has been one of the strongest currencies for a very long time. Why would they accept a dollar. I have no idea!" But for some reason he thought we were lying, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would you lie and let people know you saved money so you have more money? I don't know. So between him and Christina, they went around and basically told everybody that we were lying about the most retarded thing you could actually lie about.

And then on the way to Amsterdam, we were on the flight with them - it was Ron, Chris, my sister and I and Kate & Pate -- and on that flight we were sitting in the front. They were sitting behind us. But we moved up in the flight and I started talking to a group of guys. I was asking them about the Milk Maid bridge in Amsterdam, just trying to get an idea of where it was exactly and what it looked like. Just general questions. And she thought I was asking them if they could move their luggage to the back of the plane so I could move my luggage up. So I'm in the middle of talking to them and they're saying "If you want to come to a bar with us later…" They're in the midst of that sentence, and she comes up and she's like "Ha ha. Don't listen to anything that she's saying, because we have already set it up so our luggage is in the front. So whatever she's telling you, don't listen to her. You shouldn't even be listening to her."

Marianna: "She doesn't know what she's talking about anyway."

Julia: All the guys, they don't know we're in a competition. They have no idea what's going on. They're looking at her all quizzically like, "What is this girl talking about?" And I looked at her and I go "You don't even know what you're talking about, so why don't you turn back around and walk away before you look stupid." And she turns around and walks away. I was like "What kind of tactic is that?" She came over and put her arm around me as if we're best of friends, in order to tell that to the guys! She played on another level. I was like "Who does that?" I never go and interfere in someone else's game. That showed to me what kind of racer she was. So when she was playing the "I'm such a sweetheart" victim card, uh-uh. Uh-uh people!

IGN TV: Let's talk about the infamous camel. How long did it take you to get through that task?

Marianna: Ooof. I think we were there maybe four or five hours, through that incredible sand storm. That sand storm lasted a good half hour/forty-five minutes and it was this really, really intense wind with sand and rain… It was really crazy. That really set us back, because all the camels got nervous so they weren't going to produce any milk. And we were there for quite awhile. Towards the end, it was just the four of us left - Jason, Lorena, and my sister and I -- and at that point I feel it just wasn't fair anymore. Because Julia and Lorena were just switching back and forth from camel to camel, running around, just trying to squeeze every drop from every single camel, so the fact that Julia just happened to find that first camel that had that little bit of milk first… To me it wasn't fair at that point, the fact that there was just so many camels there and none of them were really producing anything. By the time we got out of there, we were just so happy to get out of there and move on. It had been at least two hours since the other teams had gone, so it was quite some time that we were back there

more here.. 
http://tv.ign.com/articles/836/836812p1.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 12:28:50 AM »
WOW! Didn't get along is an understatement!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »
Looks like Christina will not be on Marianna & Julia's Xmas card list.
Just here to visit.