Author Topic: *intro flashs /a mish mash of sorts*  (Read 160924 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: *intro flashs /a mish mash of sorts*
« Reply #450 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »
boingo, I have found some information on Buddhist Taiko Drums that might interest you:

from Buddhist Taiko
 by Reverend Arthur Takemoto (BCA Reverend Emeritus)

The use of musical instruments, such as the taiko is common to the Buddhist tradition.

The uniqueness of Buddhist taiko comes from its being developed by Japanese American Jodo Shinshu Buddhists, inculcating the Japanese, Indian, American Indian, and Afro-American influences into its pieces. Because of this background, Buddhist Taiko is quite different from Matsuri Taiko (Festival Taiko) that is commonly practiced in Japan.

As mentioned before, it is not unusual to find a drum at a Buddhist Temple. These drums are called "Ho-ko" or "Dharma Drum." These drums symbolize the "commanding voice of the Buddha."1 Given this "meaning" of the drum, the expression of Buddhist Taiko is also unique because it becomes a way in which one can enjoy the Buddha-Dharma, or what is referred to as "Horaku (joy or delight of the Dharma)." In Buddhist Taiko, the drum, from its "Ho-ko" meaning, becomes the Buddha, the true reality of Namo Amida Butsu or the calling name of Amida Buddha that sounds throughout the ten directions of the Universe. The drummer becomes part of the Sangha or the body of "players" that despite their delusions or attachments to the world of birth and death (samsara) become able to hear Namo Amida Butsu together. The bachi, or sticks used to hit the drum, becomes the Dharma or the link between the realm of enlightenment and the human realm of birth and death.

Buddhist Taiko, then, becomes the three treasures of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha working and revealing itself to us. Because of this fact, the joy that can be found in taiko becomes the joy of hearing the Buddha-Dharma. To perform becomes an expression of one’s joy and gratitude at being able to hear and receive that which is most difficult to hear and receive. It is for this reason that this joy, Horaku, is accompanied by a sense of deep respect and reverence. For example, one notes that the beginning of a performance often begins with the blowing of the Hora (conch shell). This signals the movement of one’s entering into the path of the Dharma (the voice of the Buddha-Dharma), and the performers will put their hands together in gassho with the bachi held between the thumb and index finger and bow with reverence and repeat Namo Amida Butsu.

On the other hand, however, when one disregards the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha, disharmony and discord result. This is reflected in the performance. The performance becomes filled with ego, and the harmony that can be found in the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha disappears. Hence, Buddhist Taiko represents the beauty and joy of the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha working harmoniously, or represents the discord that can result when the ego works in opposition to the Buddha and Dharma and becomes more important than the Sangha.

As a means of Jodo Shinshu Buddhist propagation, the primary purpose and goal of each taiko player and the listener is to teach and learn the Dharma by being embraced in both body and mind to the three treasures of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »
 :js:  Thanks for the info apskip.  Yeah, I was aware that every Buddist temple has a "drum" and "bell".  I have seen so many in the last few months that I have nightmares of taikos chasing me in my dreams.  :lol:   Trouble is, there are a "gazzillion" temples in Japan. 

I may just spend the rest of the week playing with the PLEN robot.   :lol3:   "Hey peach, where did you put the bluetooth remote control???"  ;)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #452 on: January 01, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
We know its Buddhist, Shinto, Drum, Gong, tsuri-daiko/taiko used in gagaku music and we're leaning towards Kyoto area right? And like you Boingo, I'm pretty much sick of it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #453 on: January 01, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
I may just spend the rest of the week playing with the PLEN robot.      "Hey peach, where did you put the bluetooth remote control???"

Nope--get your own! Mine! :lol3:  I like this robot! :jumpy:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2008, 02:00:26 AM »
I'm taiko'd out  :pull

Gakudaiko 楽太鼓

some more examples of what does not match, ours being the last :carryon:
http://www.miura-taikoudo.com/miura-seihin.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
God, I went to a taiko performance by a Japanese high school today - I wonder why!

Puddin's gakudaiko's on the right track - it's the biggest (bigger?) type of drum around, compared to the taiko, which is probably 'only' half a metre wide in diameter. So set your image searches to 楽太鼓 - we have three days left! :res:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #456 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
 :browsie:   FWIW, here are some links to a couple Taiko manufacturers   I fired off an email with the drum picture.

Let's see what develops.   :manicure

http://www.taikomasa.co.jp/index.html

http://www.seigakukan.co.jp/index.html

I am soooo done with this damn drum.    :nut:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #457 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
Pa rump pa pum pum
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
What if our drum/taiko is so ornate that its enclosed in glass as a museum piece or on a display at a exhibit or something? I believe up thread we were talking about a reflection...maybe its glass? and why ours appears to be resting on a cloth is a mystery too. In all my searchs I've seen no such thing.

example

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #459 on: January 04, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
My first taiko pillow, this might be what the base looks like?  :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanbaby/250240492/

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:06:29 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2008, 11:25:29 PM »
Remember this guy?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »
I'll tell you what Boingo, if they do show us this drum Sunday night in the opening scenes of Osaka and not show us where it is I'm going to kill someone, same goes if they don't show it at all  :knuckles:

I've been looking all day  :waves:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
I'll tell you what Boingo, if they do show us this drum Sunday night in the opening scenes of Osaka and not show us where it is I'm going to kill someone, same goes if they don't show it at all  :knuckles:

I've been looking all day  :waves:

:lol:  I got the tar & feathers waiting just in case, puddin.   ;)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
It would be funny if CBS never showed us the drum due to time constraints or just to f*(k with us.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
No not funny at all  (:;)
I thnk it was season 7 there was one we never saw, it was a guy on stilts, if I find it (fat chance but you never know thanks to youtube) I'll post it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong please, there were 2~

season 7

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #466 on: January 09, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
One down, one darn taiko left to go!  :wohoo:

Slowhatch  :keeta:  :jam:

I went looking for "longshan drum." I didn't find a drum, but I did find this:jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2008, 05:24:09 PM »
I was looking for something else and saw this, again, from the Longshan Temple Temple.