Author Topic: *intro flashs /a mish mash of sorts*  (Read 161191 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: *intro flashs /a mish mash of sorts*
« Reply #425 on: December 25, 2007, 07:09:19 PM »
TarJunkie999 can't hold a candle to us  :cmas27

Blasphemy!  (:;)     :bow: :bow: :bow:   TarJunkie999 is a god to me!   :angel:
  :cmaslol I had to google that word "Blasphemy is the defamation of the name of one or more gods"  :mas25

Hey since were discussing this here ..
As far as I can tell the rains took a break between July 20th & July 27 in the Mumbai area so might we still have a second location ( like some of us are thinking) where/when were monsoons in India? But then again BVM lies so who knows?

BVM:The monsoon in India is really going to kind of put a damper on things and kind of makes it very humorous.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:37:58 PM by puddin »

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #426 on: December 25, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »
wow you guys were busy today can't believe I missed out on all the fun, while cooking and playing with the kiddo's

glad you found it Puddin  :cmas51

btw one of my husband's nieces lives in Mumbai if we need anymore information in addition to Peach's contact, I'm so mad I didn't ask her sooner  :pull

looks like this location is a good position for public transport maybe another train ride in Mumbai  :cmaslol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #427 on: December 26, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »
Send her out snooping detecting patlini!

My contact is on holiday so I am hoping for help but can't promise anything for sure but email and photos on the way...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
puddin, ancitipating that Christmas is coming, says "Hey since were discussing this here ..
As far as I can tell the rains took a break between July 20th & July 27 in the Mumbai area so might we still have a second location ( like some of us are thinking) where/when were monsoons in India? But then again BVM lies so who knows?"

The TIMELINE makes it pretty difficult to fit a second India leg in. Here's why:

Arrive India slightly before midnight on the beginning of July 23, almost surely in Mumbai.

Tasks around Mumbai will take at least the morning. Pitstop could begin before noon.

Flights go out after 11pm to Bangkok, with connection to Taipei if taking CHATEAU's route, arriving there July 24 between 1115 and 1155. An alternate is a nonstop Mumbai to Taipei leaving July 24 0630 arriving Taipei 1500.

The same flights go out after 11pm to Bangkok plus one at 1235am to Bangkok, with connection to Osaka, arriving there July 24 at 1900. There is a lengthy wait in Bangkok on July 24; if one day later alternate flights would arrive Osaka 1440.

I doubt that task completion would happen if in Taipei and we know anyway of the siting July 26(probably, maybe it was the 27th) at Taipei 101. So, we know in the Taipei case that it would not finish until the afternoon of July 26 at the earliest. With TBC teams could go to Osaka immediately and maybe finish up there that evening. That leaves the morning of July 28 to fly back to Taipei and get positioned for the July 28 CI12 afternoon flight Taipei to Anchorage. It does not leave any time for an extra leg back in India.

If we go back to the Osaka case, teams would finish their tasks by the late morning of July 25 and if a TBC go immediately on to Taipei. They would do tasks until about noon on July 26, when they are due at Taipei 101 for their siting. Afterward, they would have a 36 hour extended pitstop which would take them into the early morning hours of Jule 28, when they would be flying on CI12 from Taipei to Anchorage. This case is a lot logistically simpler than Chateau's backtracking, but that doesn't by itself mean it is right. In this case we would have one whole day which could be eliminated and devoted to a second leg in India. What we don't have is an available leg, as all are spoken for. the only way it could happen is if they compressed both Taipei and Osaka into the same leg. It isn't impossible, but I highly doubt it. Also, that would eliminate the pitstop after leg 10 and force that to be a TBC into the Alaska leg. That's a bit awkward.

The major issue on which this analysis is vulnerable is the requirement to fly our July 28 instead of 29th. This rests on some special information that has yet to be revealed publicly(it's not mine) about arrangements for teams on July 29 in Girdwood. My conclusion from that is that World Race Productions would not have chanced the late arrival of a transcontinental once a day flight, but would have assured that all final 3 teams were in Alaska the prior day (July 28). They could have elected to take the risk by setting up the course for departure from Taipei on the 29th(and arrival Alaska that morning), but I doubt it.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
 :angel:  ... now about that drum....

Just received an email from Jesse, an expat in Japan, with some information regarding our Japanese drum.  Thought I'd pass it along, FWIW.

Greetings. To be honest, I am not sure exactly how much help I can be for you, but here are my thoughts. Due to the design and color pattern, I would bet that that drum (taiko) is from a temple, as it is most definitely used in either/or Buddhist or Shinto rituals.

Osaka is not known for its temples or shrines (Kyoto, just 15 minutes away on the bullet train holds that badge). Nonetheless, in Osaka, to my knowledge, the largest temple is the ****ennoji Temple, and the most popular shrine is the Sumiyoshi Grand Shinto Shrine.

Temples and shrines are known for having intricate drums like that one - the drums are more ornamental than functional, actually. Another possibility (but much less likely) is the National Museum of Ethnology could have a drum like that; but again, I would think a temple or shrine makes more sense...If I had to choose just one, I'd guess the ****ennoji Temple.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Jesse

I think we're on the right track, but haven't turned up anything solid yet.  Thanks Jesse.   :jam:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:19:27 AM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2007, 05:01:25 PM »
He says its Bosnia!!
Hey Slowhatch, whattcha got?  :cmas20

Just so that we can wrap this baby up -- thanks Slowhatch  :hfive:
Busted rebar from the destroyed station on top of Srd hill. Reminds me of ### photos.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
What's left--the horse farm and the drum?  ???

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Boingo said upthread? that the horse farm was old but I can't recall why? So we have the drum and the sterno thingymajigs, unless we saw the sterno's and I missed them?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2007, 07:16:18 PM »
I don't hold out much hope for the candles or the pigeons on the fountain, because they're so generic; the drum is probably our best bet right now.

OK, forget that; the fountain looks like the Kabutar Khana (source)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:43:35 PM by Slowhatch »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #434 on: December 30, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »
Good eye Slowhatch!!  :jam:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:06 PM »
That checks out.  Good job Slowhatch  :tup:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Online Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »
LOL Good Job
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:33 AM »
Slowhatch! :hearts: I truly thought that was one we would NEVER get!! Great Job! :yourock:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2007, 01:51:02 AM »
I'll show you why I suspected Mumbai  :cmas19

I was searching AOL videos as always and missed this by an hour, I think CBS put it up by mistake, yeah I never got to view it, and then quickly revised it.
I think what it was, was a Phil video Diary, i took screencaps incase they took it down.

AOL link (video won't play  :cmas3)

You get the picture  :cmas27~

It was good, from Phils Mumbai diary clip, duration 2:06 :carryon:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »
some sort of oil lamps? used in temples.

2 views fron the introflash~

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #440 on: December 31, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »
Thailand  :res:

ETA: from the same album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billpeterson/432557633/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:10:39 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2008, 11:00:31 AM »
Can someone help me? I can't find anything about ladeling oil at a temple *what are they doing* :lol:? Maybe if we knew what it meant we could pinpoint the temple or area? They haven't been to Thailand since season 9, do you think they would throw something old into the introflashs to throw us off? Even then I don't recall this scene.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #442 on: January 01, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
Here's a page with a picture of a woman pouring oil into what's called a "floating candle." Different design, but maybe same procedure.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #443 on: January 01, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

Well thats a start Slowhatch, thank you  :kuss: . So temple, Buddha's ...pouring oil onto floating candles to keep an eternal
flame burning.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #444 on: January 01, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Some history~
one that mentions Nara : The eternal flame at a Buddhist tomb in Nara, Japan, which has been burning for over 1100 years
Now I had a Nara temple picture but couldn't get it to match, brb.
http://www.laportegifts.com/html/history_of_the_eternal_flame.html

this is what I posted then deleted fwiw~
Out of lack of something to do, I went looking at temples and came across this one in Nara --
I'm trying to get a better view of these candles at Daibutsu-den  :duno: , picture link

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:28:39 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »
I was lead here as well but will look around later, but if anyone is as bored as I am then please feel free to help  ;D
Enryakuji ~http://www.xs4all.nl/~daikoku/junrei/reijo/8-ban.htm

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #446 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
I was lead here as well but will look around later, but if anyone is as bored as I am then please feel free to help  ;D
Enryakuji ~http://www.xs4all.nl/~daikoku/junrei/reijo/8-ban.htm

;D   FWIW, here's a link to the official Enryakuji web site (english pages)
http://www.hieizan.or.jp/enryakuji/econt/index.html

(saw something about eternal flame on one of the pages)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #447 on: January 01, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
Thanks Boingo  :keeta: -- we have to start somewhere, maybe it will lead us to the right place? "Devil be gone!"
Get around
Both Sakamoto and Mt. Hiei are best covered on foot. For going between the two, you can use the Sakamoto Cable Car, which costs ¥840/1570 one-way/round-trip and runs daily from 8 AM to 5 PM once every 30 minutes. At over 2 km, this is the longest cable car in Japan and takes about 11 minutes for the journey. This cable car line was built in 1927 and refurbished in 1993. The European style cars have large windows with wonderful views of Lake Biwa.

A real pilgrim would of course scoff at mechanical contraptions and climb the mountain, which is fairly easy as this isn't really more than an oversized hill. The traditional route is a convenient path of mossy steps known as Honzaka (本坂), starting from Sakamoto, but it's still 500 meters (vertical) to the top. There are also many other routes, with numerous small temples and waterfalls along the way, but watch out as signposting (even in Japanese) is lacking. You may see monkeys along the way as well.

Konpon Chudō (根本中堂), the central hall of the temple, contains the Inextinguishable Dharma Light (不減の法灯), a fire that has been burning for 1200 years. There is always a monk assigned to tend the fire and chant sutras here.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #448 on: January 01, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
I know that this is a difference in scale, but the most known Eternal Flame is at a Peace Memorial Site in Hiroshima, which is quite a long way from Osaka.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #449 on: January 01, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
Yeah that too apskips.

again I get led back to Thailand which gives us nothing .. fwiw

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samson_snow/283752559/