Author Topic: TARA Allan Wu (the host)  (Read 64661 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TARA Allan Wu (the host)
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »
At least i'll understand Amazing Race: China Rush better than all the foreign brazil/israel editions! :lol: :yess:

And Allan better not converse in Mandarin on the show to prevent widespread discrimination against Singaporeans chinese.. his Mandarin is..... :ascared

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
Allan's latest tweet:
The time is approaching to get my feet wet in China with a "Rush." A new adventure begins, but before that, massage & dinner with Da Wifey.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
OMG! TARA is good for him..... I wished China Rush had another host (maybe a female this time?)  :groan:

Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
So TARA will be filming after China Rush. :P
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
After watching three seasons of TARA with Allan Wu, I just have one thing to say.

Phil Keoghan needs to wear more tank tops!  :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
From research laboratory to "China Rush" 

English.news.cn   2010-08-25 

by Sam Riley

BEIJING, Aug. 25 (Xinhuanet) -- Living out of a suitcase is second nature to television host Allan Wu, who finds himself racking up the frequent flyer miles traveling to far-flung spots across Asia.

The host of the "The Amazing Race Asia" and its latest Chinese incarnation, "The Amazing Race, China Rush," Wu says that when he does finally take a rest he wants to relocate to Shanghai to break into the Chinese mainland's booming television industry.

The host and former Ford Model is based in Singapore but he is so convinced of the potential of the television market here that he hopes to move his family to Shanghai next year.

Wu burst onto local television screens earlier this month with the premiere of "The Amazing Race, China Rush" on International Channel Shanghai.

The 12-episode series shows the adventures of 10 two-person teams as they race around China.

Contestants are vying for the top prize of a trip around the world and face tough physical challenges including specially designed extreme sports events.

Wu faced his own physical tests, with the Shanghai production company Fly Films filming the series over 30 days in 10 cities across China.

"Your whole life becomes this race and you are constantly flying from one location to the next, trying to get there before the teams arrive," Wu says.

"I am just wiped out after I finish a series. After filming in China I came home for a couple of days and then I was off again around Asia for the next series."

His travels have taken him to almost every country in Asia as well as locations in Australia and the Middle East.

But filming in exotic locations for a smash hit television show is a long way from Wu's first career, as a bookish research scientist in the United States.

Wu, who grew up in Los Angeles, used to work in the biotechnology firm Chiron helping to manufacture biopharmaceuticals. But the sterile white-coated environment proved to be too stifling for the future television host.

His work included designing drugs to treat multiple sclerosis, different types of cancer and also developing gene therapies.

"If you had a passion for sciences, it was great. But I found that I was a bit more of an extrovert and I needed a more social environment," he says.

"This was a more controlled, isolated environment and definitely sterile in every sense of the word."

It wasn't until a serious snowboarding accident shattered his wrist that Wu decided to plot a course in the entertainment industry.

"I felt it was now or never. I have always enjoyed making people laugh," he said.

"In the States there are certain stereotypes about Asians - that we don't know how to speak English well, or that we only know how to do kung fu or that we are all the class nerds."

"I saw an opportunity to re-articulate that generalization. I figured then that now was the time to get out there and break into the world of entertainment and contribute to a positive image of Asians, namely Asian men."

Wu signed a contract with the famous Ford Model Agency in Los Angeles but it was a suggestion from friends to try Asia that sent him to Hong Kong in the late 1990s.

Gigs in television commercials followed and despite speaking little Chinese, he managed to pick up a job hosting MTV Taiwan.

He learned Chinese, hosted a number of the MTV shows and interviewed visiting music stars such as Whitney Houston, Alanis Morissette, Enrique Iglesias, The Cardigans and the Smashing Pumpkins.

After two years with MTV he moved back to Hong Kong in 2000 and acted in more than 50 television commercials.

It was during a trip to Singapore that he met people in the entertainment industry and it was there that his career has blossomed.

Wu has spent the past nine years in Singapore and has broken into feature films, including his latest "Love Cuts" about the challenges of dealing with breast cancer.

"There is a small niche film scene in Singapore. We are trying to build it to the point of Hong Kong or the mainland," he said.

He has also been in several Chinese films, including "Kung Fu Hip Hop" with Fan Bingbing and Jordan Chen and "Night Corridor" with Daniel Wu (not related).

He has also stared in television dramas in English and Chinese that have screened in Singapore.

In 2005 AXN launched a regional search for a host of "The Amazing Race Asia" and Wu auditioned without much hope of getting the role.

But he was one of the final two and says a deciding actor was his motorbike. When producers saw he arrived on two wheels they figured he was the kind of adventurous, rugged host they were looking for.

Wu says coming to China was special as he could delve deeply into the country where his family has its roots. They come from northeast China.

"I had been to a few places in China before but the show gave me a chance to go to all these cities I had never visited, which was a big highlight," he said.

"The race gave me a chance to see so many different sides of China, the culture, the heritage and the people from around this amazing country," he said.

(Source: Shanghai Daily)
http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-08/25/c_13460740.htm
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
Yes I believe his Chinese is not so fluent and may sound quite funny but its still listenable.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
Via Twitter:

Allan Wu
 has been hearing that a second season of The Amazing Race China Rush is a Greenlight "GO!" Wonder if the host can hack it once again? ;-D
23 hours ago via web
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
This is only my opinion....

I think Allan Wu is not a very good host.

Rovilson Fernandez would make a better host of TARA.

I am biased though since I am a Filipino... lol

But when you see Rovilson hosting TV shows here in the Phils. like the Sports Unlimited show before, you would agree with me

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
Just rediscovered this gem!

Wu-nderful race: MSN talks to Allan Wu
The charismatic and hunky host is back for the fourth time, reprising his role on ‘The Amazing Race Asia Season 4’. We sweat it out with the man, Allan Wu, who tells us that he’ll eliminate his actress wife, Wong Li Lin in the contest if he has to!

Courtesy of AXN
Hi Allan, how does it feel like to return to TARA for the fourth time?

I'd like to say that returning to TARA for the fourth time is as fun and exciting as the first time, but I wouldn't be telling the truth because it's actually even better each time. Now that I know what an amazing experience everyone has on the show, I just couldn't wait to get back to doing TARA.

Have you ever wished you were a participant and not a host?

When I first started hosting, I did sometimes wish (and wonder) what it would be like to be a participant and not the host. But with each successive season, I think about it much less because I know the other participants won't have the opportunity to return next time unlike me.

Would you join the competition with your wife?

I would be more than willing to join the competition with my wife. However, I know she doesn't share the same sentiments because she foresees us arguing a lot so that wouldn't happen. She believes in keeping the peace so I'm relegated to possibly eliminating her then.

LOTS more here!

http://entertainment.malaysia.msn.com/specials/the-amazing-race-asia-features.aspx?cp-documentid=4311314
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »
This is only my opinion...
I think Allan Wu is not a very good host.
Rovilson Fernandez would make a better host of TARA.
I am biased though since I am a Filipino... lol
But when you see Rovilson hosting TV shows here in the Phils. like the Sports Unlimited show before, you would agree with me

:tup: :tup: :tup:

So verrrry true!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »
Alan is fine as a host. There's only one thing which he does on the show which is pretty disturbing.

*commentary*
Alan: This is blah blah blah, home of the blah blah blah and also *DRAMA* *OPEN ARMS* *PAUSES* THE FIFTH PITSTOP *PAUSES* *SMILES* *DRAMA*.. IN A RACE AROUND THE WORLD.

And he's been doing it pretty often this season. :groan:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Alan is fine as a host. There's only one thing which he does on the show which is pretty disturbing.

*commentary*
Alan: This is blah blah blah, home of the blah blah blah and also *DRAMA* *OPEN ARMS* *PAUSES* THE FIFTH PITSTOP *PAUSES* *SMILES* *DRAMA*.. IN A RACE AROUND THE WORLD.

You hit the nail on the head!

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »

*commentary*

Hahahahaha. I can't believe you noticed the exact same thing.

The "...in a race around the world" part really is disturbing for me.  I always see Phil slapping Wu on both cheeks with a clue envelope everytime Wu does it.  :lol3:

Plus, I don't like the way he explains "detours", "roadblocks", etc which are the only role of the host of the show.

Maybe it's Wu's dimples that soften everything he does. hahahahaha

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »
Race master
Updated: 2012-09-09 08:11By Mike Peters (China Daily)

Allan Wu is already looking to next year as the new season of The Amazing Race: China Rush begins broadcasting its third season. 

Think you've got what it takes for a dash across China? TV host Allan Wu shares some advice for reality-show wannabes with Mike Peters.

As the third season of The Amazing Race: China Rush hits the TV airwaves this month, Chinese-American host Allan Wu has a message for viewers who want to try out for the show next season: It's just going to get tougher.

"We would definitely like to make the race more demanding and rigorous," the energetic entertainer tells China Daily. Most participants have a sense of what they are getting themselves into because they have seen the show. But "I still have many contestants tell me after the race that it was much more challenging and difficult than they envisioned, which I believe is a good thing."

The new season features 11 fresh teams that set off from the Bund in Shanghai, racing around China and traveling to the most exotic and "off the beaten path" locations. (The second leg of the race: "way up north to the edge of China in Suifenhe, Heilongjiang province, and I couldn't even read the signs in the town," Wu says of the Russian-language storefronts.)

While having to find their own way, competitors face tasks that challenge them mentally, physically and emotionally - until one new champion finally emerges 12 weeks later.

"I've always believed that the best script is not having a script at all because this means anything can happen," Wu says. The season's first surprise has come already: One contestant was eliminated right at the starting line.

"The first challenge required every team to find the symbol for 'one' (in an ancient dictionary)," Wu says on his first website post since broadcasting began last week. "I had the unenviable responsibility of delivering the gut-wrenching news. Sorry, Rob and Jia Jia!"

The show promises viewers will "travel the real China in 576 minutes". That's 12 episodes of 48 minutes each, but Wu says the crew shot up to 100 hours of footage to produce some segments. Getting that down to a watchable installment took a team of editors with as much stamina as the contestants, he says.

The third season held challenges for Wu, too. The veteran model, vee-jay, martial-arts actor and entertainer didn't learn to speak Chinese until he was an adult. After taping at Channel ICS in Shanghai for the English version, he writes on another post, "now I prepare to flex my Mandarin chops for the Chinese version on Dragon TV this afternoon".

So what does it take to succeed on the show - or just get on?

"We generally get a few thousand applicants that audition for each season," says Wu, who previously hosted Amazing Race: Asia and competed on Fear Factor. "We have a lot of die-hard fans that try their luck and submit each season. Also, we have a lot of young fans who tell me how they can't wait to be old enough to apply for the race too."

We asked the certified physical trainer what advice he might have for fans who want to audition for the show next year.

"Stamina is vital to performing well during a race of this magnitude," he says. "So it's good to get out there and get moving with running or jogging. Once you've established a decent foundation, then you can maybe try doing the same thing with a weighted backpack so you are accustomed to being mobile and moving your personal belongings at the same time."

"Finally, you can spend some time trying to operate normally under sleep deprivation," says Wu. "During the race, there's not a lot of sleep to go around, so you need to be accustomed to staying sharp and alert even when you aren't getting enough snooze time."

Successful applicants definitely bring something to the screen that we know will entertain the audience, Wu says. "They generally are outgoing, extroverted, witty, fun, daring, and adventurous. I believe many who apply think that they got the 'right stuff', but we need to take a more objective stance and determine how each prospective team will measure up and compare to their potential peers and competitors."

With the new season "in the can", Wu says for the past several months he's just wrapped up the Adidas King in the Paint China Tour with NBA All-Star Dwight Howard from the Los Angeles Lakers, and then hosted coverage of the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia motorsport race in Malaysia and Singapore.

In Malaysia, he's introducing a brand-new reality show for Channel AXN, and he's in discussions to do a TV drama series in Japan and a film in Singapore.

Before he knows it, he'll be back in Shanghai, where he moved last year with his family.

"We are absolutely loving it!" says the Southern California native, who is thrilled to be getting a better understanding of his cultural roots. "There's an old world charm here in Shanghai coupled with the modern metropolitan vibe of a big city."

Contact the writer at michaelpeters@chinadaily.com.cn.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sunday/2012-09/09/content_15745356.htm
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

Recent news from the "Hot Guy..."    :reindeer

Monday, December 03, 2012

Allan Wu Cooks Up A Storm On TV Tonight

Hot Guys Who Cook returns to DIVA Universal (Astro Ch702) tonight at 7pm with three brand new tantalising episodes. This time around, the hotties from Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Philippines are competing against each other to wow a mystery judge.

Allan showing off his dish

In tonight's episode, Allan Wu, Paolo Gonzalez and Zain Saidin show off their cooking skills in the kitchen. We recently spoke to Allan, who is known for hosting The Amazing Race Asia, to find out what's cooking in his kitchen...

Is cooking a passion or a necessity for you?

I would say a necessity. I do a lot less now because I have an Ah Ee here who helps me cook when I’m too busy and also my wife really enjoys cooking. I’m really fortunate that she is passionate about cooking. So I cook more out of a necessity.

What dish did you cook for the show?

It’s called Herb Crusted Roasted Chicken. It’s a whole chicken that’s been seasoned with rosemary and thyme, onion and garlic and lemon, on a bed of mash potatoes with a side of salad and homemade vinaigrette dressing. I’d say it’s my signature dish. It’s easy to cook and it caters to a large audience.

You're making me hungry already! Is that your absolute favourite food?

My absolute favourite food will still be Mexican food. I love all types of Mexican food. It’s generally somewhat healthy, colourful. There’s salsa and guacamole with pork or chicken or beef. There’s something for everyone. I grew up in the States and always loved Mexican. I wouldn’t say it’s the most sophisticated type of food but it gets the job done, you know?

Allan in action in the kitchen

Will you return to cook something else on Hot Guys Who Cook?

If they invite me back! It’s pretty funny because a lot of people know me as a certain persona on shows on other TV channels. They are surprised that I’m a talkative, funny, entertaining kind of guy. A big trash talker. I enjoyed myself competing with the other two guys. There’s eye candy and the contestants are just being natural and having fun. It’s perfect in time for Christmas. It’s educational and entertaining. You can learn a thing or two and you can sit back and relax and watch these guys in a different light.

What’s next for you?

China bought the rights to Gossip Girl so right now I’m shooting that. I just finished The Amazing Race China, our third season. We’re getting ready for Season Four. The Amazing Race Asia, I get asked all the time – I really do hope it comes back but still no word on it yet.

http://galaxieblog.com.my/blog/permalink.asp?id=6238

TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
What is he doing in his shirt... hot guys who can cook should cook shirtless, IMO. :cmaslol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
Here is another article as well!

‘Hot Guys Who Cook’ just got hotter

By MST Entertainment | Posted on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:00pm | 97 views

Hot, sweet and yummy… oh, and the dishes they cook aren’t bad either. Every Monday, at 7 p.m., DIVA Universal serves up a fresh new batch of hotties that know their way around a kitchen—and to a woman’s heart. Now in its second sizzling season, this original series gets hotter as the gorgeous men from Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and the Philippines crank up the competition in the kitchen to whip up a meal that would sweep you off your feet.

Allan Wu

Known for his dare devil and adventurous ways on Fear Factor, The Amazing Race Asia, and The Amazing Race China Rush, actor and TV host Allan Wu wants you to know that he’s fearsome in the kitchen too. He’s been pitching in the kitchen now that he’s a father of two and living in Shanghai, China. He’s come a long way since his days at Berkeley and presenting for MTV Taiwan. Always fun-loving and bold, this Asian action hero promises to bring it and outplay his competitors to win over the mystery judge with his wholesome chicken surprise.

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2012/12/12/hot-guys-who-cook-just-got-hotter/

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
He can cook for ME anytime!! :flirt:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
:(

Singapore celebrity couple Allan Wu, Wong Li-Lin file for divorce
By Jeffrey Oon

Singapore celebrity couple Allan Wu and Wong Li-Lin are splitting up after nine years of marriage.

A media statement by their artiste management company Fly Entertainment late on Thursday said the couple "reached a mutual decision to get divorced".

read more here:
http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs/singapore-showbiz/singapore-celebrity-couple-allan-wu-wong-li-lin-163846337.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »
They were one of our first golden celebrity couple and I think... China Rush was the cause of the split. I think Li-Lin wanted to be near to Allan and decided to move to Shanghai with him, forgoing all her career etc... but I guess it still didn't work out in the end.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 06:08:42 AM »
Looks like Allan Wu is back :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFnM108TIv-/?taken-by=wulander&hl=en

He put the following in an Instagram post 8 hours ago...

Got a big announcement coming up soon so look out for it! 😉

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »
http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2009992

Wu said he also talked to those who got eliminated at the pit stops, and this year, the audience will get to see these segments.

“It’s more immersive this time. You can even hear my thoughts about what transpired on that leg. There are very interesting things that have happened on the pit stop mat [in previous seasons], and now you can see that.”

Because of the long gap, fans are especially eager to watch TARA on air again.

Wu agrees: “Not to be boastful, but this is the biggest show in Asia. It is unifying, and [representative of] Asia. It has the competitive element, plus it is a travel show.

“It is such a privilege and honour, and so exciting for me to do this.”
RFF's Golden Rule: